PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Practice Notes

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Brandon Marshall, T.J. Ward back at practice

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After a few days off, the Denver Broncos got back to on-field business looking far healthier than they did the last week of the regular season.

The Broncos had 22 players on the injury report the day before they faced the Oakland Raiders in the regular-season finale. But Monday, as they went through their first practice of the week in preparation for Sunday’s divisional-round game against the Indianapolis Colts, the Broncos were almost fully staffed in the workout.

“We had such a big stretch between our in-season bye (Week 4) and the bye we were able to collect here in the playoffs, long stretch of games, 13 I believe,’’ said Broncos head coach John Fox. “Guys needed a little bit of a break, time to heal up, we feel good about where we are right now.’’

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11137/brandon-marshall-t-j-ward-back-in-practice

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2015, 02:09 PM
We really needed that bye. I'm glad we're back nearly full-strength.

Now, if we can get away with a win, AND relatively injury-free this week.

Bronco9798
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
We need Marshall back really bad. His play was missed while he was out. Out of all the injuries, I was most concerned about his.

Joel
01-05-2015, 03:24 PM
We need Marshall back really bad. His play was missed while he was out. Out of all the injuries, I was most concerned about his.
Agreed. At the start of the year, I felt like even our bench was stacked throughout the D, but losing Irving AND Trevathan for the season left us thin, so losing Trevathan's backup created a geniune hole opponents (e.g. Cincy) exploited. He's not just our leading tackler, but the primary coverage for top receiving TEs; he's overmatched by Gronk, but so's everyone, and he handles just about everyone else. Starting a third-stringer in his place is very unappealing, so I'm glad it sounds like he'll play, and hopefully he's not too rusty.

It's weird to think Brandon Marshall and Stevie Johnson could conceivably start a SB—but not as WRs. Only thing harder to believe? Fox can count to thirteen. :tongue:

GEM
01-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Hell yes on Marshall and Ward! :dance: That's awesome sauce!!!

pnbronco
01-05-2015, 07:19 PM
When I heard this on the radio I cheered!!!! Ward can scare the opposing players big time, but Marshall is that steady train that we so need. I was shocked that he had almost twice as many tackles as anyone else on the D at the time of his injury....hope he's really healthy....thank goodness for the bye.

TXBRONC
01-05-2015, 07:45 PM
We really needed that bye. I'm glad we're back nearly full-strength.

Now, if we can get away with a win, AND relatively injury-free this week.

I feared that Denver having such an early bye-week was going to take its toll.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2015, 08:03 PM
I hope Miller got what he needed out of the bye. He hasn't looked overly impressive the last 4-5 games.

Timmy!
01-05-2015, 08:38 PM
I can't remember when the Broncos has such an early bye. When I saw the schedule I figured this team would be beat up and tired come playoff time, so a bye was critical. They got it, and I expect to see us run full throttle on Sunday.

DenBronx
01-06-2015, 02:05 AM
I hope Miller got what he needed out of the bye. He hasn't looked overly impressive the last 4-5 games.

Right around the time we switched to a running game? Not sure they relate but that seems to be the time period.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Ambiguity vanishes. There exists a 100 percent chance that somebody is hurting in every NFL game, a concession to the violence created by fast, brutish players.

The timing of the injuries, however, swings the pendulum. The Pittsburgh Steelers provided a case in point Saturday, their postseason exit hastened by the loss of all-pro running back Le'Veon Bell.

The Broncos began preparation for Sunday's playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts boosted by the return of weakside linebacker Brandon Marshall and strong safety T.J. Ward.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27264253/brandon-marshall-t-j-ward-will-be-available-play-against-colts

Joel
01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27264253/brandon-marshall-t-j-ward-will-be-available-play-against-colts
Good to hear; hopefully our STs captain and the closest thing we have to a LG are OK also. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Bruton in dime packages if our season continues; he played well in relief of Ward, who's proven he can hit guys like Gronk, but can't COVER them. Bruton wouldn't be the ST stud he is if not tough AND fast.

CoachChaz
01-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Right around the time we switched to a running game? Not sure they relate but that seems to be the time period.

Makes sense. Without the quick strike aerial attack, opponents can run more and be more methodical against us...thus eliminating the threat of the pass rush.

underrated29
01-07-2015, 01:24 AM
I love how pot roast said a lot of guys are ring chasing. That means they will go balls out, they won't slack off or look for another player to make a play. When you want something bad enough you make your own plays. Each man will inspire the other instead of each person looking for someone to inspire them. That's a champions quality. I love it and can't wait to see us running to the top leaving nothing behind for these next three games.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2015, 11:55 AM

Yeah, I don't know if it's related. He just hasn't looked very quick off the edge. His only sack in the last four weeks came when he cleaned up Malik chasing the qb out of the pocket.

TXBRONC
01-07-2015, 12:37 PM
They played 13 straight games after the in season bye-week try to keep that in mind. Also while some of you harping on Miller try to remember Ware has been stuck on 10 sacks for well over a month.

OrangeHoof
01-07-2015, 12:41 PM
I think as the other LBs were injured, we asked Miller to stay home more often. Getting Marshall and Ward back will help a lot.

VonDoom
01-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Think we needed that bye week?

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m8 minutes ago

For the 1st time since Week 5, everyone on the 53-man roster practiced,

Bronco9798
01-07-2015, 02:41 PM

That's awesome!!! Really excited to see this team Sunday. I still think the Defense just tears it up this week. I think they set the tone for good things to come!!!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2015, 02:48 PM
They played 13 straight games after the in season bye-week try to keep that in mind. Also while some of you harping on Miller try to remember Ware has been stuck on 10 sacks for well over a month.

I'm not tryingto harp dude. I'm speculating that something might be going on with his health

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2015, 03:30 PM
PRACTICE 1-7

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 46m

Going through the daily rosters...Wednesday is the first time since Oct. 3 that all 53 players on the #Broncos roster have practiced.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 2h

For #Broncos Brandon Marshall, Orlando Franklin and David Bruton Jr. all practicing. Marshall moving well.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 3h

ESPN's own @TomJackson57, a vital member of the '77 D, will appear via video message, played on scoreboard screens.

#Broncos say they're going to honor several players from the '77 Orange Crush defense during halftime of Sunday's game.

It's 16 degrees at Dove Valley and #Broncos scheduled to practice outside today. Forecast for Sunday is high of 43 and partly sunny.

TXBRONC
01-07-2015, 04:43 PM

That's a big no kidding.

TXBRONC
01-07-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm not tryingto harp dude. I'm speculating that something might be going on with his health

Fair enough and I could have worded that post a little better. I really didn't mean to come off so harshly. I don't think he's hurt or Ware are hurt but they were tired from that long stretch without a break.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 3m

Manny Ramirez went home sick today. Am I the only Denver resident who hasn't gotten sick yet? #Broncos

GEM
01-07-2015, 05:19 PM

Having your entire LB core on IR makes for your ends having to stay in their spot because you don't really trust that 3rd and 4th string LB's are going to be able to play to the level of Trevathon, Marshall and Irving. I think that has a lot more to do with it then Miller and Ware falling off.

GEM
01-07-2015, 05:19 PM
I think as the other LBs were injured, we asked Miller to stay home more often. Getting Marshall and Ward back will help a lot.

I responded to Tx before reading your post. :lol:

TXBRONC
01-07-2015, 05:24 PM
I responded to Tx before reading your post. :lol:

I've done that before, nevertheless the response looked like it fit.

Joel
01-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I don't know if it's related. He just hasn't looked very quick off the edge. His only sack in the last four weeks came when he cleaned up Malik chasing the qb out of the pocket.
Clean up counts; how often does a mobile QB barely elude a lone pass rusher, then throw for a huge gain because the coverage couldn't hold forever?

Having your entire LB core on IR makes for your ends having to stay in their spot because you don't really trust that 3rd and 4th string LB's are going to be able to play to the level of Trevathon, Marshall and Irving. I think that has a lot more to do with it then Miller and Ware falling off.
While valid point generally, one minor quibble: Miller's only a DE in nickel/dime, when one or both of (other) starting LBs is on the sideline anyway; he's Sam in our base, where Marshall's Trevathans backup.

I still like our second string LBs a lot, not only Marshall, but Steven Johnson replacing Irving, and the third string's talented, too, but young, so having two starters on IR left us very thin. That showed when Marshalls injury called up Nelson and a midseason FA whose name I forget. Before that, we were still weathering the storm of injuries well thanks to Marshall and Johnson, but once our nickel (which we use at least as much as our base) was down to nothing but backup backup LBs, it got ugly. It'll be good to have Marshall back, for sure.

By the bye (so to speak) whatever happened to Lerentee McCray? Many folks were high on him in camp, and he showed more than a few flashes the first half of the season, but I never saw him out there after Marshall went down, and the guys I DID see were pretty underwhelming.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Clean up counts; how often does a mobile QB barely elude a lone pass rusher, then throw for a huge gain because the coverage couldn't hold .

That's not my point.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2015, 02:53 AM
The Broncos don't Rush Kyle Orton the same as Phylis Rivers the same as Alex Smith and Russell Wilson, when it's important to keep from forcing them out of the pocket. Ware didn't seem to be rotated as much as he was early, Miller is 11 months removed from surgery. McCray and Quanteris haven't stepped up much.

There are a lot of reasons Ware and Miller have seen a dip in production, scheme and the need for a bye are both high on the list, imo.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 1h

Injury update: @BMarshh54 limited, but moving around "pretty good" at practice: http://dbron.co/5x0

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 50m

Demaryius Thomas, on being mentally ready for playoffs: "The most important thing is not to get too uptight."

pulse
01-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Really hoping Marshall's ankle is good to go, Sunday. Great news that he is practicing on it. I suppose the best thing that could happen Sunday is Denver getting a nice lead and being able to rest some folks in the second half. Yeah, I'm dreaming...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Andrew Mason retweeted
ESPN Denver @ESPN_Denver · 2h

#Broncos @Julius_Thomas on his ankle: "Last week was a good week for me. It’s much improved since then."

Andrew Mason retweeted
ESPN Denver @ESPN_Denver · 2h

#Broncos @Julius_Thomas said he practiced last week to find the right balance of resting his ankle and getting those ever important reps.

VonDoom
01-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Chris Hall ‏@BroncosTV 27m27 minutes ago

LB Brandon Marshall officially listed as questionable for Sunday.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 26m26 minutes ago

Quanterus Smith out for the game. Unrein questionable

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 26m26 minutes ago

John Fox said Quanterus Smith injured the same knee that sustained the torn ACL in college. No specifics on this new injury.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 24m24 minutes ago

Fact Marshall was limited means his playing time likely will be closely monitored. If can't go, Todd Davis will play huge role #Broncos

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 55s55 seconds ago

Marshall said today was best felt. That he sprinted on right foot. Up to him, he's playing. "Today was easily my best day"

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2015, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE]Broncos starting weak-side linebacker Brandon Marshall sure sounds as if he's going to play in Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts.

"I'm good. If it's up to me I will be out there," Marshall said after Friday morning's practice. "Today was the best I felt, and I sprinted for the first time."

Marshall, who lead the Broncos with 110 tackles (88 unassisted), injured his right foot in Denver's game at San Diego on Dec. 14. He missed the final two regular-season games against Cincinnati and Oakland. /QUOTE]

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27290163/brandon-marshall-questionable-broncos-vs-colts-quanterus-smith-out

Joel
01-09-2015, 10:29 PM
That's not my point.
I know it's not, but MY point is if Miller weren't getting into the backfield and free to roam so he reached the QB half a beat behind the guy who made but couldn't finish initial contact, that's a big completion more often than not. I'm more annoyed by how often he and our front four get there half a beat after the throw, but that's still a lot closer a lot more frequently than any QB likes, which affects their rhythm and ability/willingness to scan the field.

The point is getting sacks "only" because someone coming the other way nearly got one still helps, especially against scrambling bootleggers like Luck and Wilson. Those guys will make the first guy miss a lot, and if the first guy's the only guy they're in the clear to run or throw deep downfield, but if Miller keeps working through his block so he's there to finish the play it's a different story. Also don't underestimate the value of Miller and Ware in drawing double teams so guys like Knighton, Wolfe and Jackson can win one-on-one and get THEIR sacks: Can't double team everyone.... ;)

CoachChaz
01-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Considering those 3 combined for about 5 sacks on the year...I'm going to go ahead and underestimate the value the double teams have had for us this year

Denver Native (Carol)
01-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 26m

Broncos promote LB Shaq Barrett from practice squad. Put DE Quanterus Smith on IR

Joel
01-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Considering those 3 combined for about 5 sacks on the year...I'm going to go ahead and underestimate the value the double teams have had for us this year
6½, with 4 more from "Non Miller" (i.e. LBs other than Miller.) That's ¼ of the team total, and it's probably a lot less if Ware and Miller aren't there on each side to occupy both OTs, a TE and RBs who can't chip 3 guys on a single play. All three starting nickel CBs have a sack, with Ward and even Quinton Carter getting as many more, and nearly all of those were free shots because blockers were occupied.

Ware and Miller each had double digit sacks, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.