PDA

View Full Version : Serial Podcast

Buff
01-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Anyone else listening/listened to this? I am obsessed.

http://serialpodcast.org/

Northman
01-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Never heard of it but looks interesting.

Buff
01-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Never heard of it but looks interesting.

You'd probably be particularly interested since the whole season centers around a Baltimore murder from '99. You probably know some of the places they are referencing.

It's really interesting. Free on iTunes. I'd recommend downloading the first episode to anyone who likes crime/investigative type of dramas. This just happens to be a true story.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2015, 01:30 PM
You'd probably be particularly interested since the whole season centers around a Baltimore murder from '99. You probably know some of the places they are referencing.

It's really interesting. Free on iTunes. I'd recommend downloading the first episode to anyone who likes crime/investigative type of dramas. This just happens to be a true story.

How long are they. . .. I never have time just to listen to a podcast. I've tried, can't do it. I can't put it on in the car during commute. . .kiddos in the car for most of the time.

Buff
01-05-2015, 01:34 PM
How long are they. . .. I never have time just to listen to a podcast. I've tried, can't do it. I can't put it on in the car during commute. . .kiddos in the car for most of the time.

The first one I think is 50 minutes +... The others have been between 30 and 40 minutes I think. I am going to start the 4th episode this afternoon when things slow down. I think there are a total of 12 episodes.

MOtorboat
01-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Listening to the first one. It's pretty fascinating.

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I've read about this someplace else. Sounded like it was really good.

Buff
01-06-2015, 10:28 AM
So I finished the thing today on my way to work after binging on it all night last night... "Spoiler" below...

There is no ending... I feel like I know the exact same amount as I did after listening to the first episode. Not sure if I would listen to it again knowing that there is zero resolution

shank
01-06-2015, 02:32 PM
My original intent was to find a way to make fun of you for this... but I'm on episode 7 now. *******.

RunYouOver
01-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Just finished listening to it, and it was awesome. Even after listening through the whole thing, I would still do it again. It really was a fascinating story, and gives you plenty to think about throughout.

chazoe60
01-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Damn you Buff, you're cutting into my work time Netflix streaming. I can't stop listening.

Hawgdriver
01-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Listened to first and last episodes. Super interesting story but I'm going to pass on listening to the rest....probably. My wild (and probably narrow-minded and offensive) speculation in spoiler.

Does Sarah ever explore the parent angle ("Adnan's people")? As psychotic as it is, that's the only motive that seems to fit from what I heard--hardcore fundamentalist parents seek to teach wayward son lesson about violating religious dictates, they get help with the dirtiest of the dirty work, but their attempts to pin it on Jay fail through lack of understanding of evidentiary methods like cell towers and such. idk, makes me feel racist for speculating in this manner but then again, there are some seriously radical Muslims.

I did some work when I was working as a law clerk on a similar case, I should recommend it to Sarah except that the prisoner is dying of cancer.

http://illumemagazine.com/zine/articleDetail.php?Islam-On-Trail-Feds-Jamil-Amin-14010

Similarities: ineffective assistance of counsel, ignored confession affidavit, shady gov't case--oh, and biggest of all dude was Muslim...article was pretty interesting iirc

BroncoJoe
03-04-2015, 08:44 AM
The wife just started listening to this - likes it a lot so far.

OB
03-04-2015, 10:15 AM
This sounds very interesting - I am trying to add it to my itunes now so I can listen on my phone

Buff
12-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Season 2 - episode 1 dropped today. Already hooked.

This morning at 6 A.M., “DUSTWUN,” the first episode of season two of the “Serial” podcast, quietly made its début. It’s the first chapter in a season-long exploration of the case of Bowe Bergdahl, the American former prisoner of war. Bergdahl walked off his Army base in Afghanistan in 2009, and he was soon captured by the Taliban. Six U.S. soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan after his disappearance, some claim, died directly or indirectly because of his actions. Bergdahl was held captive for almost five years and released in a prisoner exchange in May, 2014. The first season of “Serial”—about the 1999 murder of a Baltimore teen, Hae Min Lee, and the conviction of her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed for the crime—asked a specific question: Did he do it? That question raised broader questions about reasonable doubt, about memory and truth, about the U.S. system of justice. The second season does something different. The basic facts in the case of Bergdahl are known, and most parties involved agree on what they are. But what those facts mean, what Bergdahl actually experienced in the Army, his motivations for leaving his platoon, and the many terrible consequences of that decision are more complex, even existential.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/serial-season-two-is-here?mbid=social_facebook

BroncoJoe
12-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Season 2 - episode 1 dropped today. Already hooked.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/serial-season-two-is-here?mbid=social_facebook

Man - thanks for the heads up on the original one. That was a terrific listen.

This one looks to be pretty damn good too.

NightTrainLayne
11-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Just finished Season 1. It was good, but at the end, I felt less convinced of Adnan's innocence than I did at the beginning, which is weird because they certainly tried to move the listener in another direction.

I can't figure out anything logical that doesn't involve Adnan being involved in her killing. Jay's confession and knowledge just doesn't fit with any other scenario.

Buff
11-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Just finished Season 1. It was good, but at the end, I felt less convinced of Adnan's innocence than I did at the beginning, which is weird because they certainly tried to move the listener in another direction.

I can't figure out anything logical that doesn't involve Adnan being involved in her killing. Jay's confession and knowledge just doesn't fit with any other scenario.

Seasons 2 and 3 are largely a disappointment, from my experience... Regarding season 1:

He's definitely guilty. There were some problematic elements from his trial, but he's almost certainly guilty. I agree that Jay's account kind of sealed the deal for me - I think Jay was probably more involved than he let's on, and I don't see how you could explain away what he saw and acquit Adnan.

NightTrainLayne
11-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Seasons 2 and 3 are largely a disappointment, from my experience... Regarding season 1:

He's definitely guilty. There were some problematic elements from his trial, but he's almost certainly guilty. I agree that Jay's account kind of sealed the deal for me - I think Jay was probably more involved than he let's on, and I don't see how you could explain away what he saw and acquit Adnan.

Yeah, we're on the same page. Jay had a much larger involvement and won the "prisoner's dilemma" game .

NightTrainLayne
11-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Also, thanks for the head's up on seasons 2 & 3. I already wasn't really sold on even starting those. Won't bother now. :salute: