PDA

View Full Version : Adam Gase switches agents

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 05:03 PM
In a surprise move, Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase switched agents just as he was about to begin the head coach interviewing process.

He had been represented by Bob LaMonte, who is considered an NFL power broker to coaches.
LaMonte represents John Fox and Jack Del Rio of the Broncos, Kansas City’s Andy Reid, San Diego’s Mike McCoy, Washington’s Jay Gruden and former coaches Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren among several others, as well Denver’s director of pro personnel Ted Heckert.

Gase is now represented by James Sexton, whose clientele includes Tim Tebow among others.

Gase interviewed Friday with the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons and was to meet today with the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/01/03/adam-gase-switches-agents/31872/

Joel
01-03-2015, 05:14 PM
This has Josh McDaniels II written all over it; hopefully Gase has more honesty and maturity, with less arrogance and abrasiveness.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 05:29 PM
This has Josh McDaniels II written all over it; hopefully Gase has more honesty and maturity, with less arrogance and abrasiveness.

It is my understanding that the agent is there to negotiate the $$$$$. So, not sure how you feel there could be arrogance and abrasiveness on Gase's part by switching agents, before Gase interviewed with any team.

DenBronx
01-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Could his current agent not negotiate money? He seems to represent some pretty big names. Not sure why Gase did this at the last second.

Joel
01-03-2015, 06:12 PM
It is my understanding that the agent is there to negotiate the $$$$$. So, not sure how you feel there could be arrogance and abrasiveness on Gase's part by switching agents, before Gase interviewed with any team.
Gase is riding a first ballot HoF QBs coattails to his first HC job the same way McDumbass did with Brady. That doesn't make him as arrogant nor abrasivene any more than it shows as little maturity or honesty; in those respects, he probably is far better (he could hardly be worse, but that's setting the bar low.) I doubt he accomplishes much more without HIS resume-builder, but don't expect him to, say, go to Atlanta and make three-way trade offers to get Brock plus Tampas #1 overall pick in exchange for Ryan, lie to his face about it, then draft Winston in the first round when Ryan DEMANDS a trade, no.

I DO think dumping the agent ALL our top coaches share, while going to HC interviews with other teams, shows he'll probably take anyone who'll have him, get stuck with some train wreck that would be hard for anyone to save, then fall flat on his face because he no longer has Manning to make him look great. Ask Del Rio how much he misses coaching the Jags.... ;)

Joel
01-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Could his current agent not negotiate money? He seems to represent some pretty big names. Not sure why Gase did this at the last second.
Because retaining the agent who also represents his current boss and defensive counterpart could be a little awkward, and maybe he thinks that's two conflicts of interest, so he doesn't want a guy negotiating his first head coaching job with one eye on how it affects the prospects of two other major clients. Not that I think he has much to fear; I really doubt Gase leaving has many downsides for Fox or Del Rios careers (it's hard to see anything but positives, IMHO.)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Gase turned down an interview with Cleveland last year. It was reported he was their choice. It appears he could have been a HC last year if that is all that he wants, and does not care where it is.

DenBronx
01-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Gase turned down an interview with Cleveland last year. It was reported he was their choice. It appears he could have been a HC last year if that is all that he wants, and does not care where it is.

He's smart and I think he cares where he is. The Browns? Not so much. By him waiting another year he has brought more attention to himself and now I think is in a much better situation. He can basically choose which team he wants, not just the scrubby Browns.

Joel
01-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Fair enough then; already smarter than McDumbass (though, again: Not saying much.) I still expect him to crash and burn though, and not just because it's his first try: Everyone insists Gase handles our offensive execution, game plan and paly calling to the exclusion of Fox; if so, our multi-year Swiss cheese line and predictable "pass out of empty backfield till they stop it, then run with 7 linemen till they stop THAT" strategy speaks very poorly of him. Reckon we'll see; coordinating gurus like LeBeau who don't WANT to be HCs (especially when young) are the exception rather than the rule.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 08:02 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As far as references go, a 14-time Pro Bowl selection headed for the Hall of Fame whose name is carved into plenty of pages in the NFL's record book is a pretty good one.

And Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning believes offensive coordinator Adam Gase would make a quality NFL head coach. Manning said Wednesday following the team's practice that he's told NFL teams as much when they've asked and is ready to do so again.

Gase, in his second season as the Broncos' playcaller, is scheduled to interview with the San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons and Chicago Bears on Friday and Saturday in the Denver area. The Buffalo Bills also requested permission Thursday to squeeze in a Saturday interview with Gase.

"I don't think you need me to sit up here and campaign for him, I guess,'' Manning said. "Last year I talked to a couple teams on the behalf of him that reached out to me. That may happen again, so I'm certainly glad to share my thoughts, I mean it's pretty well documented my thoughts on him because I don't think he needs me to stand up here and campaign for him. I'm excited he has the opportunity he's going to have this week. He deserves it, I think teams that he talks to will be impressed.''

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12104203/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-backs-adam-gase-jobs

underrated29
01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Maybe he was going to interview same place as del rio and didn't want his agent to compete or have inside knowledge?