PDA

View Full Version : Wet- PS3/360

Shazam!
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Wet is a 3rd person action/shooter produced by Artifical Minds and Movement and published by Bethesda Software.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Wet_game.jpg

You star as Rubi Malone, one crazed bitch who takes no shit. Your business is 'wetwork' (hence the title).

Rubi's array of acrobatic moves, bloody furious combat and ridiculous demeanor makes Lara Croft look like grasshopper status. This game is so over the top it doesn't take itself seriously even though it seems to try with it's tale. Every other spoken word of dialogue is an F bomb. Some of it is simply hilarious. I mean it.

Anyone who remembers John Woo's Stranglehold will be right at home in Wet.

You are armed with a katana and two pistols that never run out of ammo. There are other weapons but these will be your bread and butter throughout. Hell, you don't even have to reload them (like Stranglehold). Most of your time will be spent firing, slicing, wall running, sliding and jumping your brutal dance of death.

The game is gory and violent, but not as other over the top titles like Soldier of Fortune. I was actually hoping for a little more of it.

You have a special vision kind of like Batman's detective mode on Arkham, where certain key areas are highlighted.

You have a bullet time ability but it's unlimited and constant. That's the other thing, Wet isn't too difficult. On normal, shooter vets will have no problem running through this game. It feels familiar. Up the difficulty.

You heal yourself with Rubi's liquor bottle (yes, she's a drunk too), and gain a little health with advanced combos. When you get bloodied enough, you enter a type of rage mode (think Onechanbara) where the screen changes with sylistic touches. I don't want to give it all away either, it's pretty cool.

There's a grain filter for the cutscenes, but I didn't like it too much. I shut it off.

The graphics are good enough, but not at all spectacular. In fact they reminded me of Stranglehold a bit with different environs. Some scenes and objects look worse than others. One issue that jumped out at me- some of the fire effects sucked and looked almost like PS1 graphics. Though at times when surrounded by enemies and constantly diving, slicing, shooting, sliding, leaping and running, the framerate is rock soild so they get kudos for that, probably helps with all the bullet time slomo. This game isnt all about visuals, it's all about action.

Rubi is generally fluid infight but a lil' stiff when walking. Certain combos are more difficult to pull off than they should be, but I had little problems. With the infinite ammo and bullet time, laying waste to the mobs is a breeze. The jumping is a little whacked, but I got used to it.

The AI is not that intelligent, instead they overwhelm you with sheer numbers and firepower.

There's an awesome car chase secene ala The Matrix Reloaded. In fact, I think a lot of the combat in the game is inspired by The Matrix.

The sound however, is excellent. It has a varying 70's-esque soundtrack and the guns are good.

Wet isn't supposed to be serious. At all. It's all over the top shooting, dizzying acrobatics, brutally murdering as many as you can, with a cool whore-looking badass assassin heroine. You don't buy this game for the story or visuals. It's over the top fun. Definitely a rental at least. Rubi is classic.

Rated M for mature- Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, sexual themes, drug reference

shank
09-16-2009, 11:59 PM
i appreciate these reviews man, even though i don't play video games much anymore.

Shazam!
09-17-2009, 12:15 AM
I try. The thing is a lot of reviews from IGN and Gamespot are wrong, and sometimes it's better to get a perspective from a user's experience.

ikillz0mbies
09-21-2009, 11:03 PM
So I read the reviews from IGN (6.6) and Gamespot (7.5) for Wet. I was kind of iffy whether to get the game or not. The demo from PSN was OK, but of course demos never do the actual games any justice. So I thought I would come in here and ask what anyone thought of the game. But I scrapped that idea since Shazam! is ALWAYS on top of the latest video games and gives great reviews. MAJOR kudos to you man.

Anyway, I've been on the fence for this game. I know that graphics and story lines are a major part of the game. But there are times that a video game isn't A+ in graphics and story lines, but it is just down right fun. I think this game has the potential to be a really fun game and leaning towards getting it. This review just pushed me further into getting it.

Shazam!
09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks.

IGN gave the 360 version a 7. something. The graphics arent the entire game here, it's the combat. It's pretty short though. I'd wait for a price drop. If you liked Stranglehold, you'll like Wet.

Definitely fun. 3 scenes are Matrix-ey and definitely memorable.

If you haven't played Stranglehold, pick it up first for like $10 at gamespot. That game is a helluva lotta fun. If you ever wanted to be Chow Yun Fat in a game, look no further. The PS3 version contain's it's spiritual predecessor film, Hard Boiled.

ikillz0mbies
09-21-2009, 11:45 PM
My wallet is kind of light right now so I may just wait for that price drop. I'm also setting aside money for Uncharted 2 and it's predecessor.

Shazam!
09-22-2009, 12:42 AM
If you haven't played Stranglehold, pick it up on the cheap.