PDA

View Full Version : Coaching rumors

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted
gary miller @thegarymiller · 23m

CBS reporting Adam Gase could be 49er coaching candidate when Harbaugh goes. And Shanny wants reunion with Cutler and BMarsh in Chicago.

Northman
12-28-2014, 12:42 PM
I find the Shanny rumor to be more intriguing.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2014, 12:42 PM
from article:

The Raiders intend to try to land Harbaugh and owner Mark Davis is committed to spending big to land him, even though Harbaugh has told friends that he plans to take the University of Michigan job. Michigan has been courting Harbaugh and is hopeful of landing him early this week.

If Davis cannot land Harbaugh, sources said Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio is thought of highly in that building and the former Jaguars coach is expected to get the opportunity to interview there. The Raiders also intend to ask for permission to interview Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.

The Falcons have interest in New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, sources said, as well as Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase, and would also want to interview Bowles.

The 49ers intend to interview some of the brighter young offensive minds in the pro game -- like McDaniels and Gase -- sources said

f the organization decides that it's imperative to try to make things work with quarterback Jay Cutler, and their options to do otherwise will be limited, then Mike Shanahan will quickly emerge. Shanahan has very strong interest to work with Cutler again, sources said, after originally drafting him in Denver,

full article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24919500/raiders-jets-49ers-falcons-and-bears-expected-to-make-coaching-changes

Nomad
12-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted

CBS reporting Adam Gase could be 49er coaching candidate when Harbaugh goes. And Shanny wants reunion with Cutler and BMarsh in Chicago.

I see this reunion having the same results as Joe Gibbs 2nd stint with the Redskins.

Funny how Trestman was so praised when he was hired, now he's the scapegoat due to an inept QB.

turftoad
12-28-2014, 12:51 PM
If McDoosh goes to Atlanta or SF I hope they don't let him make any personell decisions.
I like the idea of Shanny going to the Bears. If nothing else, it would be very interesting.

Northman
12-28-2014, 12:52 PM
I see this reunion having the same results as Joe Gibbs 2nd stint with the Redskins.

Funny how Trestman was so praised when he was hired, now he's the scapegoat due to an inept QB.

Meh, Trestman is overrated as well. Shanny would be the best Coach Jay has had since well, Shanny. However, i would agree with you that i think Shanny's time has passed as well in terms of coaching. Still would be interesting to see if he could right that ship there but with no defense already i just dont see it happening.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2014, 12:56 PM
If Shanahan wants to coach in Chicago, I think he could do a great job with that offense and I think Cutler would listen to him.

But... there are really 2 conditions to him coaching there:
1) Don't allow him to be in charge of personnel and the draft. Have a real GM.
2) Make damned sure you bring in a good/great DC. Shanny's DC selections have always sucked ass and the 'Skins are still paying for it with Jim Haslett. If Shanny is hired and he can get Rex (who looks to be out in NY) to come in a fix that defense, they could be an instant SB contender. Shanny running the offense and Ryan running the defense could be a great coaching duo.

Valar Morghulis
12-28-2014, 12:59 PM
I think if shanny went in as the HC - and actually let a GM do his job, possibly taking his son as OC, Chicago could be a good option for both parties

Edit - the post above mine says what i wanted to say - but better

Nomad
12-28-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't think Shanny and Rex's personalities could coexist.

BroncoWave
12-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Based on these rumors, my dream scenario would be JDR in Oakland then Rex Ryan to be our DC. Like I said in another thread, I think getting Ryan would be a pipedream, but he would be an awesome fit. As for JDR, I really like him as our DC, but I think he would struggle as Oakland's HC and keep them irrelevant.

Shazam!
12-28-2014, 01:53 PM
I'd love to see Shanahan in Chi.

Valar Morghulis
12-28-2014, 02:05 PM
I think Rex in Chicago would be a great fit as HC

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted

I'd be fine with Gase getting the Niners gig. Like the Niners and a big fan of Kaep. I think it'd be as ideal a fit as one could find.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2014, 03:22 PM
I don't think Shanny and Rex's personalities could coexist.

Maybe, but the new skinny Rex isn't anywhere near the blowhard bravado bigmouth he was when he was fat Rex. He was a good DC who new his place before. I think he loves to coach defense which is his downfall as a HC. Like Wave said, I'd love to have him here if JDR moves on. Dude can run a defense, even with less than stellar personnel.

DenBronx
12-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Its funny the report is saying Gase as the raiders next HC but I believe it will be Del Rio instead. If they don't stick with Sporano that is.

ShaneFalco
12-28-2014, 06:51 PM
rex runs a 3-4 thou

MOtorboat
12-28-2014, 07:30 PM
rex runs a 3-4 thou

And Denver has all the personnel for it.

ShaneFalco
12-28-2014, 07:50 PM
i dont think Rex gets fired anyways. but it is the jets, they will scapegoat anybody.

tripp
12-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I like Gase, and I think he will be a great coach wherever he will go. My one knock against him is how stale the play calls have been since the beginning of the 2nd half of this season. Other than that, he'll be great. Hard working coach, and to have shared knowledge with Peyton for the 2 past years will look great on his resume.

tripp
12-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Would love sexy rexy to come here.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2014, 07:55 PM
rex runs a 3-4 thou

I agree. Heck we used a 3-4 look most of the time on 1st downs with miller and Ware standing and pot roast, sly and Wolfe down. If Trevathan comes back healthy and we re-sign Knighton, there's no reason Danny and Marshall can't play inside in a 3-4 front. The key is the NT and if we bring Pot Roast back, we've got one.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Clyde-Christensen/805ccace-123e-405d-849e-e257521cd289

Might wanna get familiar with him now, there's gonna be a lot of jobs available so chances are Gase might be going. The key for Gase will be what kind of staff a coach that young will be able to put together, if I were him I might stick around.

VonDoom
12-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Rex stated a few times last night that he isn't going to be a DC. The quote I saw was something like, "I'm not coaching someone else's defense." I'd love him here, and if he can't get a HC job, he might reconsider, but it doesn't sound that way at the moment.

As for our guys ...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11m11 minutes ago

The #Falcons are requesting permission to speak with #Broncos OC Adam Gase, source says. Moving quick.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago

The #49ers have also asked permission to speak with #Broncos OC Adam Gase, source says. They join the #Falcons

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Trestman as offensive coordinator. Ryan as defensive coordinator. Regardless of what he says, the opportunity Denver would afford him could be mighty tempting. Tough to take anything these coaches say seriously after just getting fired... I know Ryan wants to eventually get onto TV as an analyst but if the head coaching opportunities dry up and he wants to get another, the ideal scenario for him is to come here for a couple years, ride it out with all the pieces in place for what should amount to a very successful couple of years and there'll be no shortage of opportunities available to him after that.

Hey, I can dream... right?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 11m

Atlanta Falcons just now did seek permission to interview Adam Gase.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 21m

49ers have formally asked permission to interview Broncos OC Adam Gase. However, the Atlanta Falcons have not.

Ziggy
12-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Rex might reconsider being a DC with a team with 2 pro bowl shut down corners, a pro bowl caliber NT, and 2 hall of fame caliber pass rushers. That's every ingredient needed to be a world class defense with the right coaches.

VonDoom
12-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Trestman as offensive coordinator. Ryan as defensive coordinator. Regardless of what he says, the opportunity Denver would afford him could be mighty tempting. Tough to take anything these coaches say seriously after just getting fired... I know Ryan wants to eventually get onto TV as an analyst but if the head coaching opportunities dry up and he wants to get another, the ideal scenario for him is to come here for a couple years, ride it out with all the pieces in place for what should amount to a very successful couple of years and there'll be no shortage of opportunities available to him after that.

Hey, I can dream... right?

Sure, sign me up for that. I think there may be a team that hires him as a HC right away, but if not, he would be the most coveted DC out there.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Even though Gase's offense can be unimaginative at times, really gonna miss the guy. He's earned it though... hope he gets the Niners gig; perfect fit.

If the team doesn't want to look to bring in an outside hire have to imagine Studesville gets serious consideration for an internal promotion to offensive coordinator too?

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Sure, sign me up for that. I think there may be a team that hires him as a HC right away, but if not, he would be the most coveted DC out there.

Yeah, Chicago immediately comes to mind as a team that seem like a great fit for him. Maybe Oakland as well.

GEM
12-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Loser teams...we still have a season going on. If you want one of em bad enough, wait.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-29-2014, 01:38 PM
If I'm Gase, I'm leaning toward Atlanta over SF. Ryan could do very well in the right system. Kaepernick seems like more of a chore. He's still just an option QB who struggles reading defenses. On the other hand, Atlanta's defense is a mess and SF's is pretty strong when they are healthy.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 01:58 PM
from article:

Widely viewed as one of the NFL's bright, young offensive minds, Gase garnered interest for head-coaching vacancies last year as well.

Gase's strength is working with quarterbacks and scheming matchup advantages in the passing game, an attractive quality for a 49ers franchise with a top priority of turning Colin Kaepernick's stalled career around.

Gase's strong relationship with established franchise quarterback Peyton Manning likely factored into the Falcons' interest in pairing him with Matt Ryan, one of the NFL's top 10 passers.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000451341/article/adam-gase-draws-interest-from-falcons-49ers

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Gase is meeting with the Broncos' offensive players Monday. It's possible he could interview with the 49ers and/or Falcons either Tuesday, Saturday or Sunday of this week. After Sunday, he cannot interview until the Broncos are finished with the playoffs, or during the bye week between the AFC championship game and Super Bowl.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27222766/49ers-seek-interview-broncos-offensive-coordinator-adam-gase

broncofaninfla
12-29-2014, 02:27 PM
I'd take Smith or Allen over Rex Ryan for DC

Ziggy
12-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I'd take Smith or Allen over Rex Ryan for DC

Step away from the crack pipe.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 37m

Not only is Jack Del Rio a local product for #Raiders, but his parents are #Raiders season-ticket holders. He gets it. Plus, he won in Jax

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 38m

Expect Jack Del Rio to get significant interest from the #Raiders. Owner Mark Davis sought him out for a hello on the field yesterday.

Valar Morghulis
12-29-2014, 03:03 PM
I think Gase with Kaep is an absolute disaster waiting to happen - Matt Ryan on the other hand is different IMO

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 4m

John Fox said teams interviewing Adam Gase must do so here in Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 38m

Like Channel 7's @sportsdenver Jeff "hat" Howe's idea: Bring in Rex Ryan for defensive consultant during, you know, Patriot week.

Valar Morghulis
12-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 38m

Like Channel 7's @sportsdenver Jeff "hat" Howe's idea: Bring in Rex Ryan for defensive consultant during, you know, Patriot week.

as long as we get there - i love this idea. He might like it so much, he decides not to leave!

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 20m

Atlanta and San Francisco will interview Adam Gase here in Denver either Thursday, Friday or Saturday. He WILL finish the job with Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1m

By league rule, Broncos required to allow teams to interview the likes of Del Rio and Gase. Those interviews will take place this weekend.

Nomad
12-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Regarding the Rooney rule, do teams have to interview an other-than-white coach first, or sometime in the process of searching for a coach?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Comments in this article by some Bronco players' in regards to possibly losing Gase & Del Rio, but the following definitely caught my eye:

Like Manning, Knighton is on record saying he wants to return to Denver in 2015. Yet, when asked Monday if he was torn in wanting Del Rio to get another head coaching job and preferring he stuck around Denver, Knighton smiled.

''I want to be wherever Jack is,'' he said. ''I'll just leave it at that.''

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-teams-courting-mannings-offensive-coordinator-231558109--nfl.html

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Hmm, look up to the Seahawks every year or go into the worst division arguably ever with an already loaded offense.

He would be an idiot for choosing SF ('s owner and front office over Atlanta's owner and front office).

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Rex Ryan is a stud. I'd take that guy on my team any day of the week. Dude is salty, a great coach, and gets the absolute most out of his players. His players would take a bullet for him.

Ryan didn't fail the Jets, the Jets and the front office failed Ryan. Any team will be lucky as hell to get him as a DC.

dogfish
12-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Rex Ryan is a stud. I'd take that guy on my team any day of the week. Dude is salty, a great coach, and gets the absolute most out of his players. His players would take a bullet for him.

Ryan didn't fail the Jets, the Jets and the front office failed Ryan. Any team will be lucky as hell to get him as a DC.

absolutely. . . rex is a bad man. . .

don't really see it happening, though. . . i've heard it suggested that he can expect to make 5+ mil as a broadcaster if he doesn't get a head coaching position. . .

TXBRONC
12-29-2014, 10:03 PM
absolutely. . . rex is a bad man. . .

don't really see it happening, though. . . i've heard it suggested that he can expect to make 5+ mil as a broadcaster if he doesn't get a head coaching position. . .

I would be interesting to see how it would unfold if Del Rio left and Denver decided to pursue Ryan.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2014, 10:54 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-best-fix-jets-hire-pioli-gase-article-1.2060350

Last night on ESPN, John Clayton said that the Jets had requested permission to talk to Gase. But that has not been reported locally.

Nomad
12-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Gase and McDaniels have quite a few requests.

elsid13
12-30-2014, 12:22 PM
If JDR leaves, forget Ryan (overrated), and hopefully Elway can get Vic Fangio from SF. That guy knows how to coach an aggressive mean spirited defense.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Gase and McDaniels have quite a few requests.

For Gase, the only requests being reported locally so far are SF and Atlanta. If there have been other requests, that would be known/reported locally.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2014, 02:25 PM
If JDR leaves, forget Ryan (overrated), and hopefully Elway can get Vic Fangio from SF. That guy knows how to coach an aggressive mean spirited defense.

Can't get him in a lateral position if he is still under contract.

Pudge
12-30-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd love to see Rex Ryan as a broadcaster

Valar Morghulis
12-30-2014, 02:42 PM

what about jim tomsula?

RunYouOver
12-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Ian Rapport just reported that the Bears have requested to speak with Gase, too. So the teams officially in on Gase as of now are the Bears, 49ers and Falcons.

Safe to assume he'll be gone, right?

VonDoom
12-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Ian Rapport just reported that the Bears have requested to speak with Gase, too. So the teams officially in on Gase as of now are the Bears, 49ers and Falcons.

Safe to assume he'll be gone, right?

He seems to be one of the most in demand of the coordinators, so it's a good possibility he's gone. As for the Bears:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 12m12 minutes ago

And Adam Gase would not have worked w/ Cutler with #Broncos -- McDaniels traded Cutler in '09, year Gase arrived as WRs coach.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 10m10 minutes ago

Gase was Brandon Marshall's position coach in Denver in '09 -- 101-catch, 1,120-yard season

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Adam Gase is hot. The Broncos’ offensive coordinator just got his third request to interview for a head coaching position, this one from the Chicago Bears.

Gase is also going to interview later this week with the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers. All interviews will be conducted in Denver so Gase is not interrupted from his preparation for the Broncos’ second-round playoff game next Sunday, Jan. 11.

Former New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi is overseeing the Bears’ search for a general manager and coach. Broncos general manager John Elway has previously mentioned Accorsi was his primary mentor as the former quarterback moved to his front office position.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/12/30/bears-ask-permission-interview-adam-gase/31800/

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 19m

Gase was Brandon Marshall's position coach in Denver in '09 -- 101-catch, 1,120-yard season

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 20m

And Adam Gase would not have worked w/ Cutler with #Broncos -- McDaniels traded Cutler in '09, year Gase arrived as WRs coach.

elsid13
12-30-2014, 07:02 PM

He will be leaving SF, if he doesn't get the HC job. And we can him name Assistant HC defense to take care of the promotion title issue.

elsid13
12-30-2014, 07:05 PM
what about jim tomsula?

Also a strong candidate.

spikerman
12-30-2014, 08:50 PM
I'd love to see Rex Ryan as a broadcaster

Rex would put the "broad" in broadcaster.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2014, 09:32 PM
I had no idea that Adam Gase was with the 49ers before he came to the Broncos

Bio Blast Adam Gase:

2003-2004: Detroit Lions (Scouting Assistant)

2005-2006: Detroit Lions (Off. Assistant)

2007: Detriot Lions (QB Coach)

2008: San Francisco 49er's Off. Assistant)

2009-2010: Denver Broncos (WR Coach)

2011-2012: Denver Broncos (QB Coach)

2013-Present: Denver Broncos (Off. Coordinator)[/QUOTE]

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/2014/12/29/will-adam-gase-be-on-the-move/21025505/

DenBronx
12-31-2014, 07:32 PM
So Gase is good as gone. Seems the market for him is real hot, even more than Del Rio. But Del Rio might be gone too.

So Gase may end up in SF or Bears, both good places for him. Then who fills his spot here as OC?? Promote from within again??? DC will be easier to fill than OC.

dogfish
12-31-2014, 07:51 PM
if gase leaves, green bay QB coach alex van pelt would be my first choice. . . aaron kromer is another interesting option. . .

DenBronx
12-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Has a player ever been a coach at the same time in the NFL? How awesome would it be if Manning was given that title as well next season and we just highball the coaching search?

#bigballs

Buff
12-31-2014, 08:17 PM
Dirk Koetter could be an interesting option. I think we liked him as a HC candidate and he's looking for work since the Atl staff got dismissed.

But realistically I think they'd give the job to Greg Knapp.

chazoe60
12-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Dirk Koetter could be an interesting option. I think we liked him as a HC candidate and he's looking for work since the Atl staff got dismissed.

Maybe a silly question but is Eric Studesville in that conversation at all. I'm sure he has higher aspersions than RB coach.

Buff
12-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Maybe a silly question but is Eric Studesville in that conversation at all. I'm sure he has higher aspersions than RB coach.

It's a good question - I assume that since he already got passed over twice after serving as interim HC that they don't consider him a candidate for that role. But maybe things have changed.

dogfish
12-31-2014, 09:23 PM

gah, not a fan of either of those options at all. . .

Buff
12-31-2014, 09:35 PM
gah, not a fan of either of those options at all. . .

I'm not overly enamored with either, I like the Van Pelt idea better, but I think I'd prefer either of them to Benedict Kromer.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2015, 12:30 PM
For 63 Broncos roster and practice squad players, and 20 of 21 coaches, these next three days will be a time to rest and celebrate the New Year and the new football season.

Adam Gase won't be able to get away from football, football and more football.

The Broncos' offensive coordinator in demand, Gase will interview Friday for the vacant head coaching positions with the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons, and Saturday with the Chicago Bears.

Broncos players and the rest of coach John Fox's staff will be off Thursday, Friday and Saturday before reconvening for a light workout Sunday. Monday, the Broncos will begin full preparations for their second-round AFC playoff game.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27237401/adam-gases-interview-dates-set-49ers-also-talk

Ziggy
01-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Has a player ever been a coach at the same time in the NFL? How awesome would it be if Manning was given that title as well next season and we just highball the coaching search?

#bigballs

The Broncos actually had a player coach at one time. Jimmy Spencer in 2003. He was the first one to do it since Dan Reeves with the Cowboys back in the day.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2015, 08:54 PM
One more makes four for Adam Gase.

The Buffalo Bills have become the fourth team to formally seek permission from the Broncos to interview the offensive coordinator for their head coaching position, according to an NFL source.

Gase already has interviews set up Friday with the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons. He will interview with the Chicago Bears on Saturday. He is also expected to meet with the Bills on Saturday.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27242545/bills-become-fourth-team-list-interview-broncos-adam-gase

Ravage!!!
01-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I can see Shanahan backin San Fran. Was their OC when they won the Super Bowl with Young, and, would be the right guy to make an offense for Kap. Mobile, limited reads (just like he did with Plummer and RGIII). They already have a strong defensive personnel.

dogfish
01-02-2015, 03:10 PM
I can see Shanahan backin San Fran. Was their OC when they won the Super Bowl with Young, and, would be the right guy to make an offense for Kap. Mobile, limited reads (just like he did with Plummer and RGIII). They already have a strong defensive personnel.

which he would dismatle within a year or two. . . :heh:

Joel
01-02-2015, 05:54 PM
The Broncos actually had a player coach at one time. Jimmy Spencer in 2003. He was the first one to do it since Dan Reeves with the Cowboys back in the day.
Reeves didn't really play much at that point, because injuries had effectively ende his career; my impression was that Landry saw good coaching potential in him and pitched him the "player-coach" idea so he'd stick around long enough to buy in to the coaching part. To answer the original question though, in the NFLs infancy player-coaches were its norm; Jim Thorpe did it in Canton, as did Halas in Chicago and Lambeau in GB (though Halas' interview process was undoubtedly aided by the fact he owned the team; he even managed to convince himself to re-hire himself a couple times.)

Ravage!!!
01-02-2015, 06:48 PM
which he would dismatle within a year or two. . . :heh:

I don't know what you mean. He put together a very capable defensive team for the Broncos that won back 2 back Super Bowls.

DenBronx
01-02-2015, 06:49 PM

#bigballs

I was going to say Keith Burns. I thought he coached and played STs at one time.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2015, 06:52 PM
I was going to say Keith Burns. I thought he coached and played STs at one time.

:beer: he did!

Poet
01-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Shanahan was once a good coach. Once. Look, let's say he goes to SF and it fails. You might be able to convince me that he is still a solid head coach and was doomed with trying to fix mobile QB's. With that being said, I saw what happened the last time he had to work with a young and confident mobile QB. One year of joy where the skills of the QB and the schemes of the coach were magical. Then everything turned to shit. I know that a lot of people here really like the guy, and I know that it is easy to blame it all on RG3 for being a turd, but the several seasons of Shanahan coaching the results weren't so hot.

I can't bet on any team with Shanahan as its head coach to be successful.

Ravage!!!
01-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Shanahan was once a good coach. Once. Look, let's say he goes to SF and it fails. You might be able to convince me that he is still a solid head coach and was doomed with trying to fix mobile QB's. With that being said, I saw what happened the last time he had to work with a young and confident mobile QB. One year of joy where the skills of the QB and the schemes of the coach were magical. Then everything turned to shit. I know that a lot of people here really like the guy, and I know that it is easy to blame it all on RG3 for being a turd, but the several seasons of Shanahan coaching the results weren't so hot.

I can't bet on any team with Shanahan as its head coach to be successful.

There is no reason to believe that the offenses that Shanahan uses wouldn't be successful. Nothing about the game has changed that would make that a reasonable conclussion...its still the same X's and O's. It wasn't that long ago that Shanahan pulled a Plummer from failure in AZ and resurrected his plagued career.

But RGIII is the next Ryan Leaf as far as the high hypes and quick plummet...and there was only one coach that got any success out of him.

dogfish
01-02-2015, 07:15 PM
I don't know what you mean. He put together a very capable defensive team for the Broncos that won back 2 back Super Bowls.

i mean what i say-- mike shanahan can't coach or build defense to save his life. . . the super bowl defenses here weren't better than okay, and that was twenty years ago. . . it's been a decade since he coached a good team. . . the guy had a nice run here in his early years, when the sqaud was littered with HOF talent, but he was done a while ago. . . i highly doubt that he has much success anywhere he goes now. . . the NWCW would eat him alive. . .

RunYouOver
01-02-2015, 07:30 PM
i mean what i say-- mike shanahan can't coach or build defense to save his life. . . the super bowl defenses here weren't better than okay, and that was twenty years ago. . . it's been a decade since he coached a good team. . . the guy had a nice run here in his early years, when the sqaud was littered with HOF talent, but he was done a while ago. . . i highly doubt that he has much success anywhere he goes now. . . the NWCW would eat him alive. . .

Maybe so, but I don't really think he was given a fair shot in Washington, being forced in the RG3 mess. Not to mention we never really had a bad season with him towards the end...it was just clear we weren't trending in the right direction. But '05 we had a great team and it was clear that whoever came out of the AFC would demolish the Seahawks...those last few years with him we were always blowing the division lead or our playoff chances, but we were far from a bad team.

I have my doubts about whether he can still be successful, but I don't think it's fair to say the man can't coach. I'd like to see him get one more shot.

Poet
01-02-2015, 07:34 PM
There is no reason to believe that the offenses that Shanahan uses wouldn't be successful. Nothing about the game has changed that would make that a reasonable conclussion...its still the same X's and O's. It wasn't that long ago that Shanahan pulled a Plummer from failure in AZ and resurrected his plagued career.

But RGIII is the next Ryan Leaf as far as the high hypes and quick plummet...and there was only one coach that got any success out of him.

There is every reason to think he would fail. He's been failing for a long time. Plummer is old news, and after that 05 season what has Shanahan done? I was here for all those years where you guys self-destructed at the end of the season. I know I didn't imagine that. I was here when Shanahan kept bringing Slowik back. Did you guys even make the playoffs when he coached Cutler? I saw how 'good' Shanahan was in Washington, too. Yeah, RG3 needed Shanahan, but Shanahan needed a fast QB to run those bootleg plays and be electric running down the field. RG3 got hurt and then the Redskins tanked. Shanny tanked. Shanny got fired. At the end of the day, those two needed each other.

You do cite to the same x's and o's, and that's true, but it's not just x's and o's that matter in coaching. Norv Tuner and Wade Phillips are great coordinators, wizards with the x's and o's. Shit awful coaches when they have to run the whole show, however. Shanahan is a task master, and that's fine. But it's not a good sign that he was incompatible as a head coach with McNabb, RG3, and then heading off to pair himself with Kaepernick.

Ravage, ever since Elway retired Shanahan has been 'Marvin Lewis good'. :lol:

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 03:20 AM
Shanahan didn't get full roster authority until after the Super Bowl victories.

Important fact to this discussion.

Davii
01-03-2015, 03:25 AM
Loser teams...we still have a season going on. If you want one of em bad enough, wait.

I think the NFL should change the coach hiring process anf say no contact allowed until after the playoffs. Makes no sense to allow this to go on while the best candidates still have a job to do.

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 03:27 AM
I think the NFL should change the coach hiring process anf say no contact allowed until after the playoffs. Makes no sense to allow this to go on while the best candidates still have a job to do.

Not allowing it hinders promotions of deserving coaches.

Davii
01-03-2015, 03:33 AM
Not allowing it hinders promotions of deserving coaches.

How so? They're still eligible for hiring, just a few weeks later.

I'm not saying the Broncos should say no, I'm saying the NFL should tell all teams that there will be no coaches interviewed/hired until after the SB. Period. Gives everyone an equal shot.

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 03:35 AM
How so? They're still eligible for hiring, just a few weeks later.

I'm not saying the Broncos should say no, I'm saying the NFL should tell all teams that there will be no coaches interviewed/hired until after the SB. Period. Gives everyone an equal shot.

That would eliminate any deserving college coaches.

Davii
01-03-2015, 03:46 AM
That would eliminate any deserving college coaches.

Again, why? Do they die the day after the SB?

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 03:50 AM
Again, why? Do they die the day after the SB?

Well, signing day is usually two days after the Super Bowl. Available and qualified college coaches would never wait that long to just be interviewed, let alone take a job.

Current system is as fair as it gets to the coaches.

Davii
01-03-2015, 03:54 AM
Well, signing day is usually two days after the Super Bowl. Available and qualified college coaches would never wait that long to just be interviewed, let alone take a job.

Current system is as fair as it gets to the coaches.

Then they should add a week before playoffs start for all teams and make that interview time.

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 03:59 AM
Then they should add a week before playoffs start for all teams and make that interview time.

Why?

I guess I don't understand the frustration here.

Davii
01-03-2015, 04:20 AM
Why?

I guess I don't understand the frustration here.

Coaches of playoff teams have a job they're being paid to do, they shouldn't be taking time away from that to interview.

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 04:23 AM
Coaches of playoff teams have a job they're being paid to do, they shouldn't be taking time away from that to interview.

Do we have proof that that is happening?

Davii
01-03-2015, 04:32 AM
Do we have proof that that is happening?

Really Mo? If you happen to believe it's not then you are severely naive.

Valar Morghulis
01-03-2015, 04:40 AM
I know Denver told interested suitors, they needed to come to Denver to interview Gase/JDR - i think that is a fair compromise.

DenBronx
01-03-2015, 05:54 AM
Both Gase and Del Rio are going to be hot on the market. I don't see Elway denying either of them opportunities to interview, he's very fair like that, even if he doesn't like the timing. Do we want them to leave? No. Will they? Most likely.

It's not just us. Look at Seattle, GB and NE. They are all dealing with the same thing. It's the nature of the NFL. It is a revolving door, even if you are winning Superbowls.

DenBronx
01-03-2015, 05:57 AM
I know Denver told interested suitors, they needed to come to Denver to interview Gase/JDR - i think that is a fair compromise.

Very fair. Let them interview but if they want them enough they can come here.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 11:10 AM
The Oakland Raiders have requested permission to interview Broncos defensive coordiantor Jack Del Rio on Sunday.

The Raiders contingent will interview Del Rio in the Denver area.

AND

Update:Raiders trying to arrange to interview Del Rio today (Saturday). Broncos begin preparations for second-round playoff game Sunday.

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/01/03/raiders-interview-jack-del-rio/31862/

Teams can not stop an interview if it would be a promotion. They can deny an interview for a lateral.

CoachChaz
01-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Despite their focus on upcoming playoff games, I doubt coaches are spending 24 hours a day to prepare game plans. If they take an hour or two out of their personal time to interview with another team, is it really some monumental distraction?

dogfish
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Despite their focus on upcoming playoff games, I doubt coaches are spending 24 hours a day to prepare game plans. If they take an hour or two out of their personal time to interview with another team, is it really some monumental distraction?

i'd say that depends largely on the individual. . .

turftoad
01-03-2015, 11:40 AM

I agree as long as they are coming to the Denver area. If they (our coach's) were flying all over it would be a different story IMO.

Davii
01-03-2015, 12:10 PM

An hour or two? A prospective coach is expected to have a presentation ready explaining exactly how he will "fix" your team. This means researching said team, putting together a plan for your coaching staff, offensive and defensive schemes, a plan on personnel, etc. We're talking about 1 of 32 jobs in the world. Do you REALLY think it only takes an hour or two to prepare yourself for that job interview?

I mean, sure, if you want the Raiders or Jags job. Go ahead and think youre going to get the Niners job with an jour or two of prep time.

They're calling people trying to figure out who else they can bring to the table, etc. Yes, this becomes as important as your actual job. And why the hell wouldn't it? You're talking millions of dollars and the jobs of many many other people as well. If you think this is an hour or two, and not a monumental distraction, you're not thinking about what all that really entails.

tomjonesrocks
01-03-2015, 01:39 PM
An hour or two? A prospective coach is expected to have a presentation ready explaining exactly how he will "fix" your team. This means researching said team, putting together a plan for your coaching staff, offensive and defensive schemes, a plan on personnel, etc. We're talking about 1 of 32 jobs in the world. Do you REALLY think it only takes an hour or two to prepare yourself for that job interview? I mean, sure, if you want the Raiders or Jags job. Go ahead and think youre going to get the Niners job with an jour or two of prep time. Theyre calling people trying to figure out who else they can being to the table, etc. Yes, this becomes as important as your actual job. And why the hell wouldn't it? You're talking millions of dollars and the jobs of many many other people as well. If you think this is an hour or two and not a monumental distraction you're not thinking about what all that really entails.

Pretty much the way I see it. I don't see how the hell a team can properly prepare for games if the coaches have interviews they've worked their entire careers to get to prep for also.

The potential that this is a severe distraction and could impact the game is most certainly there.

That said, the Raiders can have JDR all day long. Bring back Allen, Denver's the same or better, and Oakland stays in the tank.

Slick
01-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Didn't Denver go through this exact same thing last year, or did Gase and Del Rio turn down the interview offers?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Pretty much the way I see it. I don't see how the hell a team can properly prepare for games if the coaches have interviews they've worked their entire careers to get to prep for also.

The potential that this is a severe distraction and could impact the game is most certainly there.

That said, the Raiders can have JDR all day long. Bring back Allen, Denver's the same or better, and Oakland stays in the tank.

from article:

Broncos players and the rest of coach John Fox's staff will be off Thursday, Friday and Saturday before reconvening for a light workout Sunday. Monday, the Broncos will begin full preparations for their second-round AFC playoff game.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27237401/adam-gases-interview-dates-set-49ers-also-talk

The schedule during the bye week was set. Therefore, Gase & DelRio interviewing will not take them away from any scheduled preparation. Oakland wanted to interview DelRio on Sunday, but they were told no, so they are interviewing him today. Game preparation will start Monday, as the Broncos will know who they will be playing.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 44m

So Redskins asked for and were denied permission to interview Bills DC Jim Schwartz and 49ers DC Vic Fangio. Ed Donatell, Joe Barry in play.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 46m

Trying to capitalize on HC shakeups, Redskins asked for, but were denied, permission to speak with Bills DC Jim Schwartz about their DC job.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 1h

Doug Marrone arrives in NJ later today for Sunday's scheduled interview with Jets. Marrone scheduled to meet Monday with Falcons.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 4h

Bills also setting up interview with former Broncos and Redskins HC Mike Shanahan that could occur as early as... http://fb.me/9nmSXwjWf

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 4h

Bills requested permission to interview Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, per team source.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 17h

After tonight, won't be any surprise to see UCLA HC Jim Mora Jr. find his way to an NFL HC interview or two...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Gary Kubiak could get another shot at a head-coaching gig.

While the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator is prepping for his playoff battle with the Pittsburgh Steelers Saturday night, other teams are eyeing potential interviews.

Speaking on NFL Network's NFL GameDay Morning, Ian Rapoport reported that the San Francisco 49ers are expected to show interest in the former Houston Texans coach. The Jets are also expected to reach out to Kubiak if the Ravens lose tonight.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453306/article/gary-kubiak-garnering-interest-from-49ers-jets

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 03:18 PM
The Washington Redskins have lined up one interview for their newly opened defensive coordinator position.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday that the team will interview Wade Phillips this week, according to a source.

The hire would be an intriguing one for Jay Gruden's team that already has 3-4 personnel in place.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453299/article/wade-phillips-to-interview-for-redskins-dc-job

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Add another high-profile name to the 49ers' list of head-coaching candidates.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Saturday's NFL GameDay Morning that the Niners have interviewed former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan. Niners officials had already planned to be in Denver this weekend to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase.

AND

Shanahan's son, Kyle, the Browns' offensive coordinator, is also under consideration for the Niners' job.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453051/article/mike-shanahan-interviewed-with-san-francisco-49ers

MOtorboat
01-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Really Mo? If you happen to believe it's not then you are severely naive.

The Broncos have four days off. It's a bye week. What preparation is he missing? You can't game plan because you don't even know what team you're playing.

I don't think it's fair to teams who missed the playoffs and fired their coach to have to wait until the teams who had a successful season are done with their season to let the losing teams move on from theirs. And allowing coaching interviews during a bye weeks in which a team is not at its facility as a team for four straight days is a fine time for that to happen.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-03-2015, 03:53 PM
rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000453299/article/wade-phillips-to-interview-for-redskins-dc-job

That would be a good idea.

Davii
01-03-2015, 06:18 PM
The Broncos have four days off. It's a bye week. What preparation is he missing? You can't game plan because you don't even know what team you're playing.

I don't think it's fair to teams who missed the playoffs and fired their coach to have to wait until the teams who had a successful season are done with their season to let the losing teams move on from theirs. And allowing coaching interviews during a bye weeks in which a team is not at its facility as a team for four straight days is a fine time for that to happen.

What about Kubiak? Unfair for him don't ya think?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2015, 06:41 PM
What about Kubiak? Unfair for him don't ya think?

Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak is generating some interest from teams with head coaching vacancies and it looks like they’ll be rooting for the Steelers this Saturday if they want to find out if Kubiak is their man sooner rather than later.

Kubiak can’t interview for any jobs this week with the Ravens preparing to face the Steelers, but he could speak to teams next week if the Ravens advance to the next round. On Wednesday, though, Kubiak told reporters that he’s informed John Harbaugh that he won’t interview with any teams as long as Baltimore’s season is alive.

“I said, ‘John if anybody wants to talk to me, just tell them no. I’m a busy man right now. I’ve got a lot to do,'” Kubiak said, via the team’s website. “I think it’s always flattering as a coach to be mentioned by any organization in football. But my total focus is on our football game, what we’re doing, and trying to enjoy what I’m doing right now.”

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/gary-kubiak-wont-interview-for-other-jobs-while-ravens-are-in-the-playoffs/

Simple Jaded
01-04-2015, 12:11 AM

The Raiders have a (potential) franchise QB, high draft picks and nearly $60 MM in cap space to spend, teams like that rarely stay in the tank for long.

dogfish
01-04-2015, 12:12 AM
The Raiders have a (potential) franchise QB, high draft picks and nearly $60 MM in cap space to spend, teams like that rarely stay in the tank for long.

which will make it all the funnier when oakland continues to pull it off. . .

Simple Jaded
01-04-2015, 12:21 AM
which will make it all the funnier when oakland continues to pull it off. . .

If any team can it's Oakland.

chazoe60
01-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Except the Raiders.

dogfish
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM
If any team can it's Oakland.

they have something that cancells all those potential advantages; ownership that's both stupid AND cheap. . . :D

GEM
01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Didn't Denver go through this exact same thing last year, or did Gase and Del Rio turn down the interview offers?

Gase turned down. I Dont think JDR had intetested parties.

tripp
01-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Plenty of coaches available this year, I wouldn't even want to interview Gase or JDR. Would take Shanny, Dan Quinn, Todd Bowles, Doug Marrone, even Rex Ryan before I looked at Gase or JDR.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 38m

For Gase and Del Rio to have a chance at HC jobs will require teams to wait and as a GM told me "owners don't like that job open too long.''

DenBronx
01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Hmmm yeah the market looks rather soft for Del Rio. Hope he stays here.

Bronco9798
01-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Adam Schefter
1 min ·
Busy and interesting Thursday for Bills: HC interviews with Rex Ryan and Kyle Shanahan.

underrated29
01-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Im calling Gase to the bears

Simple Jaded
01-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Im calling Gase to the bears

Heard an interview of Gase by Klatt while he was still doing local sports talk, Klatt asked him about Martz getting canned and Gase wouldn't even use Cutler's name. If you get this call right I think of Gase being the one to force Cutler out.

Davii
01-13-2015, 01:16 PM
An hour or two? A prospective coach is expected to have a presentation ready explaining exactly how he will "fix" your team. This means researching said team, putting together a plan for your coaching staff, offensive and defensive schemes, a plan on personnel, etc. We're talking about 1 of 32 jobs in the world. Do you REALLY think it only takes an hour or two to prepare yourself for that job interview?

I mean, sure, if you want the Raiders or Jags job. Go ahead and think youre going to get the Niners job with an jour or two of prep time.

They're calling people trying to figure out who else they can bring to the table, etc. Yes, this becomes as important as your actual job. And why the hell wouldn't it? You're talking millions of dollars and the jobs of many many other people as well. If you think this is an hour or two, and not a monumental distraction, you're not thinking about what all that really entails.

Given our horrendous Game plans, lack of originality, and obviously overwhelmed/unprepared coaching/players this past Sunday is there anyone left that doesn't think these interviews were a MAJOR distraction?

Our ENTIRE coaching staff (top 3 at least) already had a foot out the door and bigger fish to fry. All 3 men's reputations have diminished in my view.

TimHippo
01-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Given our horrendous Game plans, lack of originality, and obviously overwhelmed/unprepared coaching/players this past Sunday is there anyone left that doesn't think these interviews were a MAJOR distraction?

Our ENTIRE coaching staff (top 3 at least) already had a foot out the door and bigger fish to fry. All 3 men's reputations have diminished in my view.

Most succesfull playoff teams are in the same situation and didn't choke. So it's no excuse.

VonDoom
01-13-2015, 01:28 PM

I said as much in the Fox thread. And it shouldn't be an excuse for losing. But considering how this staff was generally woefully prepared for big games in the last couple of years, I'm not surprised by the outcome in retrospect.

Davii
01-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Most succesfull playoff teams are in the same situation and didn't choke. So it's no excuse.

Well no shit, hence the reason they deserved the axe and why I said their reputation has diminished in my view. If you take that as me giving then an excuse then I don't know what to tell you.

Lancane
01-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Well, I have been waiting to hear anything in terms of the Broncos lining up interviews and other then expecting to meet with Gase tonight after he meets with San Francisco it's been rather quiet...which is not a good sign, you'd think Denver would have at least one or two lined up with top candidates even if they their top choice was with one of the final four in the playoffs to get the process rolling.

GEM
01-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Yep, but what about what's fair for these poor coaches. :laugh:

When you're getting paid to do a job, do it before you look somewhere else for another one.

Slick
01-13-2015, 01:42 PM

I'm going to have to wait until the whole story comes out, if it ever does.

Is it true that Manning was running the show behind closed doors? Did he refuse an order from Fox to take a game or two off after Denver had sealed the division? I'm still willing to give the staff a pass until I know for sure what went on the last month.

I mean if I'm Fox and Manning is giving me orders, I'm leaving too.

chazoe60
01-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Well, I have been waiting to hear anything in terms of the Broncos lining up interviews and other then expecting to meet with Gase tonight after he meets with San Francisco it's been rather quiet...which is not a good sign, you'd think Denver would have at least one or two lined up with top candidates even if they their top choice was with one of the final four in the playoffs to get the process rolling.

Didn't we request an interview with Kubiak? I thought I saw a tweet saying that.

Davii
01-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Is it true that Manning was running the show behind closed doors? Did he refuse an order from Fox to take a game or two off after Denver had sealed the division? I'm still willing to give the staff a pass until I know for sure what went on the last month.

I call bullshit. You think Elway would let such a thing happen? IF, and this is a HUGE if, something like that took place and Fox LET that happen then he's nothing but weak, ineffective leader (aka a ***** cat minus cat) and is 100% the reason this team seemed soft. Reflection of leadership.

Even as angry as I currently am with Fox I don't think he would ever allow a player to dictate who plays, no matter who that player is.

Either way, he needed to go.

TXBRONC
01-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Didn't we request an interview with Kubiak? I thought I saw a tweet saying that.

Yes someone posted a tweet that the Broncos have asked the Ravens for permission to interview Kubiak.

Slick
01-13-2015, 01:54 PM
I call bullshit. You think Elway would let such a thing happen? IF, and this is a HUGE if, something like that took place and Fox LET that happen then he's nothing but weak, ineffective leader (aka a ***** cat minus cat) and is 100% the reason this team seemed soft. Reflection of leadership.

Even as angry as I currently am with Fox I don't think he would ever allow a player to dictate who plays, no matter who that player is.

Either way, he needed to go.

I agree with you. I just can't make any sense of what went on there over the last month.

Lancane
01-13-2015, 01:57 PM

If this was a case of Manning giving orders it would have been for more then one season and Fox would not have signed an extension this past off-season and allowed it to play out for his final season. Instead he singed the extension and then this happens? According to all reports Fox has been at odds with more then one person within the organization whether or not it was Elway, Manning, Gase and Del Rio, who knows but we're hearing that he was at odds with the other three. Elway was trying to smooth it over and fully expected Fox to return, that was before the Divisional Game but I don't see Elway being that wishy-washy - so where do you allow this to land? If Manning felt that Gase was the next head coach here and Fox would be out I don't believe he'd have been as non-committal as he was after the loss when a week earlier he was all for returning? There is a pile of horse manure in Denver that is layered with tidbits but no full out explanation as of yet, but IMHO Fox is covered in the manure at this point.

Lancane
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
If people don't believe there is a stink to this, according to Chicago media outlets, John Fox already had an interview lined up with Chicago and is the Bears front runner at this time.

Also, the Broncos have requested permission to speak to Kubiak but thus far there has been no interview scheduled or confirmation by either organization that it will happen.

Ravage!!!
01-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Man, I really do NOT want Kubiak as our HC.

Lancane
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Man, I really do NOT want Kubiak as our HC.

Well who do you want?

Valar Morghulis
01-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Well who do you want?

I wish Sexy Rexy had delayed signing with Buffalo. As things stand, i would like Quinn or Kubes. Who are you hoping for?

Ravage!!!
01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Well who do you want?

That's a great question, idk. I just know that I was not impressed with what Kubiak did with a talented Houston team. Could that be different here, absolutely. At least Fox had success with young QBs. Kubiak? Instead of taking a team and making them better than their 'roster' showed, he did the opposite, imo.

Ravage!!!
01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
I wish Sexy Rexy had delayed signing with Buffalo. As things stand, i would like Quinn or Kubes. Who are you hoping for?

I hope you aren't suggesting that you wanted Rex Ryan as our HC.

Valar Morghulis
01-13-2015, 03:27 PM
I hope you aren't suggesting that you wanted Rex Ryan as our HC.

Hell yeah - i love me some sexy rexy.

He over coached an average jets team for years - 2 afccg and two 8-8 seasons were so far above those teams ceiling it was frightening.

Our team appears to have been undercoached since the 2012 season. Because we must consider those three years, with those players an underachievement.

I think our next coach needs to be someone that makes players fulfil their potential - rexy fits the bill - but that is just my opinion.

Poet
01-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Guys, I'm your next head coach.

We goin' win.

pulse
01-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Pure speculation on my part, but I think Jon Gruden is Denver's next head coach. I have no evidence. I just think if you're Jon Gruden and you're ever seriously considering coaching again, you're going to be persuaded by how much a team has to be rebuilt. Denver does not have to be rebuilt at all. This team is still loaded to the gills, albeit with underachieving talent. You don't have to overhaul or build a contender, it just needs tweaking and perhaps the addition of a solid offensive lineman in the draft. Clearly, if Peyton Manning is healthy and returns for 2015, you're still living and dying by his ability to stay healthy through an entire season. That's going to be the biggest decision. But even if you have to get another QB, you couldn't ask for more surrounding talent. If Gruden's ever going to be interested in coming back to coaching, this has got to be it. Let's see what happens.

Valar Morghulis
01-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Pure speculation on my part, but I think Jon Gruden is Denver's next head coach. I have no evidence. I just think if you're Jon Gruden and you're ever seriously considering coaching again, you're going to be persuaded by how much a team has to be rebuilt. Denver does not have to be rebuilt at all. This team is still loaded to the gills, albeit with underachieving talent. You don't have to overhaul or build a contender, it just needs tweaking and perhaps the addition of a solid offensive lineman in the draft. Clearly, if Peyton Manning is healthy and returns for 2015, you're still living and dying by his ability to stay healthy through an entire season. That's going to be the biggest decision. But even if you have to get another QB, you couldn't ask for more surrounding talent. If Gruden's ever going to be interested in coming back to coaching, this has got to be it. Let's see what happens.

love Gruden on TV not too sure if i want him on my sideline

Valar Morghulis
01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
What do people think of Vic Fangio? I think Fangio, Bowles and Quinn must be getting a serious look since we are so "limp" on D, but so stacked potential wise.

Either of those 3 would give a different identity. Not quite to the Schiano level lol

I would let Manning be OC, Dennis Allen back as DC.

chazoe60
01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Bowels is my favorite. Don't know if we'll look that way but he's my favorite candidate.

Lancane
01-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Dan Quinn according to two experts is sold on the Atlanta Head Coaching vacancy. Also, Todd Bowles is expected to be signed as the next Head Coach of the Jets by days end. Del Rio and Gase are two other candidates that could be signed by the end of the day. At this point I'd say that the list is thinning quickly of candidates.

Valar Morghulis
01-13-2015, 04:53 PM
What about Urban Meyer?

dogfish
01-13-2015, 04:55 PM
pep hamilton as head coach with alex van pelt as OC, and fangio or wade phillips as DC. . . let it be done!

Lancane
Urban Meyer does not want to enter the Pro Ranks right now and as for Vic Fangio, he is likely to be retained by Gase as the Defensive Coordinator in San Francisco.

VonDoom
What about Urban Meyer?

Good question. He claims he's not going anywhere, but Elway could be persuasive. It would certainly be a splashy move!

Slick
01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
pep hamilton as head coach with alex van pelt as OC, and fangio or wade phillips as DC. . . let it be done!

I'm trying to figure out why you like Pep so much. He beat a completely lifeless Bronco team with a stud QB. What else? Sell me.

Poet
01-13-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you like Pep so much. He beat a completely lifeless Bronco team with a stud QB. What else? Sell me.

He's a smart coordinator with energy and vision.

Davii
01-13-2015, 05:15 PM
I don't know what would be best, but here is what I think we end up with:

Kubiak HC
Kyle Shanahan OC
DC is a mixed bag of no telling. Maybe Dick Lebeau, Dennis Allen, maybe Martindale returns since he's had a good run as LB cb coach in Baltimore, maybe someone we haven'tconsidered, hell, maybe Wade Phillips.

Ravage!!!
01-13-2015, 05:18 PM
maybe Wade Phillips.

You just bite your tongue RIGHT NOW... bite it right off!!

Bronco9798
01-13-2015, 05:25 PM
I personally wouldn't mind Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan. I like that.

Davii
01-13-2015, 05:26 PM

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Ryan come available

silkamilkamonico
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Kubiak HC
Kyle Shanahan OC
DC is a mixed bag of no telling. Maybe Dick Lebeau, Dennis Allen, maybe Martindale returns since he's had a good run as LB cb coach in Baltimore, maybe someone we haven'tconsidered, hell, maybe Wade Phillips.

Ugh. I would really question where Elway is thinking we want to go with that. I really hope the next coach is a fresh face to this organization.

Poet
01-13-2015, 06:15 PM

He's insanely good as a DC. An awful HC, but insanely good as a DC.

dogfish
01-13-2015, 06:19 PM

has nothing at all to do with this weekend. . .

here's what i posted in the other thread:

you can go a couple of different ways with it and make it work, but ideally i like bringing in a young, offensive-minded guy. . . your base scheme stays the same through coordinator changes when it comes from the HC-- the club's overall mentality also comes from the HC, and i'm not a big fan of the play it tight and rely on your defense attitude that too many DCs have. . . i'd rather have an aggressive offensive mind as the HC, with a salty veteran DC. . .

hamilton is the guy that best fits that profile right now-- and i do think he's done a hell of a job coordinating indy's attack, as well as developing luck going back to stanford. . . i like that he had that stanford experience as part of harbaugh's staff, and i think he potentially would bring a lot of harbaugh's advantages (a balanced offense and an emphasis on tough, fundamentally sound football) without harbaugh's drama. . . he came into indy saying that he wanted to be physical and run the ball, not just fling it all over the yard with luck-- he also adapted when that wasn't working. . . he's been looked at as an up-and-coming, potential NFL HC for a couple years now. . . i'd take a chance on him. . .

dogfish
01-13-2015, 06:22 PM
maybe Martindale returns

dear gawd!!!

BroncoWave
01-13-2015, 06:23 PM
has nothing at all to do with this weekend. . .

here's what i posted in the other thread:

hamilton is the guy that best fits that profile right now-- and i do think he's done a hell of a job coordinating indy's attack, as well as developing luck going back to stanford. . . i like that he had that stanford experience as part of harbaugh's staff, and i think he potentiually would bring a lot of harbaugh's advantages (a balanced offense and an emphasis on tough, fundamentally sound football) without harbaugh's drama. . . he came into indy saying that he wanted to be physical and run the ball, not just fling it all over the yard with luck-- he also adapted when that wasn't working. . . he's been looked at as an up-and-coming, potential NFL HC for a couple years now. . . i'd take a chance on him. . .

You know, I haven't even thought of Pep as a potential candidate and don't really know much about him, but this post has me kinda sold.

Joel
01-13-2015, 06:29 PM

Kubiak HC
Kyle Shanahan OC
Love to see Kubiak as HC with Wade as DC, and not just because I'm from Houston: Wade's a great DC (just a lousy HC) and when Kubiaks elite offense could only get the defenseless Texans to the brink of success, Phillips came in and shoved them over bodily in just one year, building a D so good it's now the teams backbone.

My only quibble is that Houston was better with Kubiak at HC, Dennison at OC and Phillips at DC than with Kyle Shanahan at OC. The great thing about going to Shannys coaching tree through Kubes rather than directly is getting nearly all the Broncos championship staff EXCEPT Shanny (and the ego that comes with him,) without the backstory that would make Shanny hiring Phillips as DC impossible. Phillips hasn't forgotten how Shanny got the Denver HC job any more than the rest of us.

I'd surely take Lebeau as DC, but... holy crap, dude played against Unitas; I wish him no ill, but don't want to be replacing and mourning another DC a year from now.

dogfish
01-13-2015, 07:03 PM
in other interesting developments, the bills have cut jim schwartz loose. . .

i would have zero interest in him as a head coach-- i think he's only slightly less immature and lacking in leadership than mcdaniels-- but he's a damn fine DC who just did some really good things in buffalo. . . he'd be a strong hire as a DC here if we do go with a head coach who will run the offense-- whether that be gary kubiak, adam gase or anyone else. . .

although, a former HC like schwartz would be an ideal hire to go with a first-time HC, like, say, hamilton. . . just sayin'. . .

and speaking of which, dave toub would be another guy i'd be happy to see added to the interview list. . .

don't really see it happening, though. . . my gut says the duke doesn't really have the patience to go through a young HC's developmental stage, even though the learning curve is pretty short for the legit best and brightest these days. . . kinda hope i'm wrong about it, but i do see him probably wanting a veteran coach, which IMO mostly leaves us with mediocre options who aren't substantially better than fox. . . i'd rather take a chance at finding the next dynamic young new guy (either harbaugh, mike tomlin, chip kelly, sean payton) than thinking you'll get lucky with a tom coughlin or pete carroll (who's different anyway, given his vast college success). . .

jhildebrand
01-13-2015, 07:04 PM
I think if Kubiak ends up as HC odds are greater that Dennison is the OC over K. Shanahan

Buff
01-13-2015, 07:05 PM

i would have zero interest in him as a head coach-- i think he's only slightly less immature and lacking in leadership than mcdaniels-- but he's a damn fine DC who just did some really good things in buffalo. . . he'd be a strong hire as a DC here if we do go with a head coach who will run the offense-- whether that be gary kubiak, adam gase or anyone else. . .

although, a former HC like schwartz would be an ideal hire to go with a first-time HC, like, say, hamilton. . . just sayin'. . .

and speaking of which, dave toub would be another guy i'd be happy to see added to the interview list. . .

don't really see it happening, though. . . my gut says the duke doesn't really have the patience to go through a young HC's developmental stage, even though the learning curve is pretty short for the legit best and brightest these days. . . kinda hope i'm wrong about it, but i do see him probably wanting a veteran coach, which IMO mostly leaves us with mediocre options who aren't substantially better than fox. . . i'd rather take a chance at finding the next dynamic young new guy (either harbaugh, mike tomlin, chip kelly, sean payton) than thinking you'll get lucky with a tom coughlin or pete carroll (who's different anyway, given his vast college success). . .

I can't get over my intense personal dislike for Schwartz. Do not endorse.

underrated29
01-13-2015, 07:10 PM

Its weird for me this year. I do not like, nor do I care for any of the HCs out there. I do like the coordiantors though and that is where I am most interested.

Schwartzey, lebeau, and wonderful wade lead my list for DC- I hope we get one of them. I pray we do.

Oc- I am kind of torn about who I want. I like your GB guy, but I dont know if/how he calls plays- if he is a part of mccoy/gase play calling tree I might have to castrate myself and become a raider fan. If not, then I can get on board. Dont konw much about Peppie but you make him sound good. I think trestman could be a good OC. I like what he did with the bears.

I just dont have much for a head coach. Kubiak doesnt excite me but id be fine with him i guess. I dont know. I am more concerned with DC to be honest. I think a good DC could take our D to seahawks/cardinals/rams good. We are so close. We just need the guys to get after it. And a FS. We need one of those too.

underrated29
01-13-2015, 07:11 PM
I think if Kubiak ends up as HC odds are greater that Dennison is the OC over K. Shanahan

Id be fine with that. Not a dennison fan for OC but I am not a kyle fan for OC either.

dogfish
01-13-2015, 07:15 PM
I can't get over my intense personal dislike for Schwartz. Do not endorse.

yea, he's a douchebag. . . i feel ya. . . he's more aggressive and creative than del rio, though, sooo. . .

one can only hope! eff that toxic little twerp, i want him nowhere near the broncos. . .

VonDoom
01-13-2015, 07:18 PM

I'm down with Schartz as DC

Slick
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM

I like the way you're thinking, babycakes. I think the team needs an infusion of energy and I don't think a guy like Kubiak is going to bring that.

Poet
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Schwartz isn't that big of a tool - he just gets fired up and sort of drifts with his emotions. Then again he isn't scared of anything as a DC. He is a guy who gets a lot out of his players. It doesn't shock me that Ryan fired him though. Ryan wants his own puppet, I mean, candidate, to run that defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
We have asked Detroit for permission to interview Teryl Austin. Dude is from my hometown. I hope he finally gets his shot. Defensive guy.

RebelRocker
01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
FWIW, these are the candidates I think could be considered. I'm not going to consider some of the obvious ones (Bowles, Shanahan, Del Rio) for a variety of reasons.

1. Gary Kubiak- This is the most obvious candidate and likely favorite for the job. He's been a player, assistant, OC and HC in the league(winning superbowls as an OC). He's well respected and has the obvious ties to Elway. He has a strong enough connection and pedigree to the Broncos to get the gig. The only concern I would have with him is his health. He's not old by coaching standards, but the sideline collapse he had with the Texans is concerning for his long term future. He's already stated he plans on staying the Ravens and seems to be content just being an OC. He could be a good hire, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't go with Kubiak either.

2. Rick Dennison- After Kubiak, I think this is the most logical choice from a connection standpoint. If you think about it, he has a really impressive resume. Aside from playing in the NFL, he's spent years as an assistant doing everything from being a defensive assistant to an OC and Special Teams Coordinator. How many candidates can you think of have coaching experience in ALL THREE phases of the game and has an obvious connection to the Broncos through his playing/coaching days? It's pretty impressive. We've interviewed him twice for the HC vacancy in the past and by all reports, he came in 2nd to Fox for the job four years ago. He may not be the splashiest hire, but he makes a lot of sense. The only complaints I have from him is his age and lack of HC experience. He's well into his 50's and it's hard to say how long he'd want to coach at a high level. It may be a non-issue if he wants to coach for many years, but I'd like someone a bit younger that we know could be a long term solution instead of another "Band-Aid" hire like we had with Fox.

3. Teryl Austin- He's the current DC for the Lions and has interviewed for a few of the other vacant jobs. He has a long track record of being a defensive coach from college to the pros. He doesn't have much of a connection to the Broncos, but he does have connections that should be very enticing. In the press conference today, Elway made a point about the next HC being a guy that has been on a SB winning team before. He wants someone that has the experience of being on a winning coach staff and Austin definitely has that. He's spent many years being a DB coach for the Cardinals, Seahawks and Ravens (He went to the Super Bowl with all teams, winning with the Ravens) so he clearly knows what it takes to get it done at the highest level. He has the winning resume with his time from the Ravens and has a connection to us through Jim Caldwell. Caldwell was Manning's last coach in Indy and when he got the job in Detroit, he brought Austin along with him to be his DC. He's only been a DC in the NFL for a year, but what he did with the Lions defense this year can't be ignored. He took a group with some talent, but with a lot of issues and turned them into one of the top units in the league. It's one thing to have one of the best defenses in the league, but Detroit's defense was intimidating and powerful under Austin's watch. The drawbacks to him is that aside from his one year in Detroit, he doesn't have any coordination or HC experience in the NFL. That aside, I think he'd be a great hire for us. He seems like a guy that can get the most out of the talent that's given to him and have them play with a killer instinct, which is what we've been lacking. I think it's also clear that we need a HC that doesn't want any control in personnel decisions and just wants to focus on coaching. It's been made known in the last day or two that Foxy wanted more say in personnel decisions than we originally thought. Despite the lack of experience, I think Austin would be a great hire for his attitude, being able to coach up talent and winning pedigree.

4. Dan Quinn- He's the sexy hire because of who he coaches for. It'd be great if we could get him, but at this point, it looks very likely that we'd have to wait until February to hire him and I don't know if we can afford that. That's valuable off-season time that's wasted by waiting on a potential hire.

5. Jim Schwartz- Not very likely to happen, but he did have some success in Detroit. He's a good defensive mind, but I don't know if he has the personality to handle a full team long term. I don't see him as an option unless we strike out on other guys.

6. Kyle Shanahan- Obvious connection here and has been known as an up and coming coach. I just don't see it happening, though. There's rumored to be bad blood between Shanahan and the Broncos FO, so I don't see how his son would want to come here.

7. Adam Gase- This is the most logical in-house candidate and Elway made it clear that he's a "candidate for the job", but it seems unlikely. The 49er's really like him and I don't know if he passes up that offer.

UPDATE: Looks like we're going to interview Teryl Austin. Like I mentioned above, I think that could be a great hire.

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Gase done with Niners and now at Broncos facilities with JFE per
https://twitter.com/49ershub/status/555161391858847744

Joel
01-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Id be fine with that. Not a dennison fan for OC but I am not a kyle fan for OC either.
I concur with the assessment prompting your response, if only because Dennison's followed Kubiak to each of his new teams, even though he waited a year the first time to succeed Kubiak as Denver OC. Some have asked whether Houstons offense prospered like Baltimores now because of Kubiak or Dennison, but as long as they stay together it's a moot point and a BOGO (though, for sake of argument, Dennison was STs coach when Kubiak was OC on our SB champs, one of the most versatile and dominant offenses ever.)

I also strongly PREFER him to Kyle Shanahan, because he has far more experience and versatility as coordinator. Even as a college player, all Shanahans experience is offensive, but Dennison started as an NFL LB on Broncos SB losers before moving to STs coach on our SB winners, then QBs coach, then offensive line coach. Win or lose, Kubiak wouldn't be here forever, and Dennison might be a good choice to succeed him. Either way, he had more coaching experience when Kyle Shanahan STARTED than Shanahan has NOW. Not that I love the Shanahans less, but Kubiak and Dennison more.

NightTerror218
01-13-2015, 08:02 PM
We have asked Detroit for permission to interview Teryl Austin. Dude is from my hometown. I hope he finally gets his shot. Defensive guy.

Thus complies with the rooney rule

Slick
01-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Gase done with Niners and now at Broncos facilities with JFE per
https://twitter.com/49ershub/status/555161391858847744

Tell him thanks and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Tell him thanks and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I could get behind Gase but seems like a waste of time. Elway obviously wants more than one interview and SF is a good job and ready to go. Gase is going to wait?

silkamilkamonico
01-13-2015, 08:15 PM
I could get behind Gase but seems like a waste of time. Elway obviously wants more than one interview and SF is a good job and ready to go. Gase is going to wait?

Has Gase been offered. There are still reports that Shanahan is just as strong of a candidate for that job as Gase or anyone.

NightTerror218
01-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Has Gase been offered. There are still reports that Shanahan is just as strong of a candidate for that job as Gase or anyone.

Rooney rule must be followed first before Gaze or Shanny or Kubuak can get an offer.

dogfish
01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Thus complies with the rooney rule

and much more importantly, lets us interview a solid coaching candidate. . .

underrated29
01-13-2015, 09:22 PM
and much more importantly, lets us interview a solid coaching candidate. . .

Art shell?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
There are many candidates and six NFL teams looking for a new coach.

Only one of those teams, though, can offer those candidates a team coming off a three-year run of 13-3, 13-3 and 12-4 records.

The Broncos are that team looking to replace coach John Fox. Early candidates on the Broncos' list, according to two NFL sources: Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, Ravens' quarterbacks coach Rick Dennison, Detroit Lions' defensive coordinator Teryl Austin and Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

The Broncos also are considering their own offensive coordinator Adam Gase and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio if they don't land head coaching jobs in San Francisco and Oakland, respectively.

Broncos general manager John Elway is in the early stages of comprising his list of candidates and others might be added.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27313414/kubiak-among-six-candidates-broncos-coaching-search-list

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2015, 09:53 PM
My money is on Kubiak.

What say you? Care to "make it interesting"?

Someone start a poll based on Vegas candidates!

VonDoom
01-13-2015, 10:29 PM
FYI, Jets hired Bowles, so he's off the table

Bronco9798
01-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Jets going with another defensive mind. They sure do need someone that knows a thing or two about offense on that team.

spikerman
01-13-2015, 10:50 PM
My guess is that they really want Quinn after what he did to the Broncos twice. I would think Kubiak has a great shot too, but I think Elway is looking for a "fire and brimstone" guy after his comments today.

One thing is for sure - the Broncos need to develop an attitude. Recently they've masqueraded as the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man.

Bronco9798
01-13-2015, 10:56 PM
My guess is that they really want Quinn after what he did to the Broncos twice. I would think Kubiak has a great shot too, but I think Elway is looking for a "fire and brimstone" guy after his comments today.

One thing is for sure - the Broncos need to develop an attitude. Recently they've masqueraded as the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man.

I think Quinn goes to Atlanta. (what do I know, though) Gut feeling.

spikerman
01-13-2015, 10:58 PM

Yeah, this wouldn't surprise me. They definitely need defensive help.

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2015, 11:00 PM

Well that and it's all over Twitter Quinn wants that job. Even cross referenced a few places with a "Sorry, Broncos" preface.

Bronco9798
01-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Well that and it's all over Twitter Quinn wants that job. Even cross referenced a few places with a "Sorry, Broncos" preface.

Most everything I read today points Quinn to Atlanta, yep, Twitter too. Things can always change, but that's what everything says. I've seen Kubiak to Denver on a lot of stuff today. It could just be fluff though, who knows.

RebelRocker
01-13-2015, 11:03 PM

If that's the case, then only three remaining guys make sense to me

Kubiak
Dennison
Austin

Kubiak is the only one with experience, but we don't know if he'll leave Baltimore.

spikerman
01-13-2015, 11:09 PM
I will say that I think the Denver job being available was a surprise so it may cause some people to reconsider. I do wonder, though, after reading some of the info coming out of Dove Valley, if this team might need a bigger overhaul than we originally thought due to chemistry issues.

spikerman
01-13-2015, 11:09 PM
I kind of want a defensive guy. An aggressive and pissed off defensive guy. Would the Broncos consider Fangio?

Pudge
01-13-2015, 11:12 PM
I kind of want a defensive guy. An aggressive and pissed off defensive guy. Would the Broncos consider Fangio?

I wish Quin would come and make our defense as mean as Seattle's

Rick
01-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I'll be really surprised if its not Kubiac with Denison as OC.

chazoe60
01-13-2015, 11:15 PM
I hope we retain Studesville. I have a lot of respect and admiration for that guy

Jsteve01
01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
I hope we retain Studesville. I have a lot of respect and admiration for that guy agreed Chaz. I like what Smith has done with our backers as well. I mean it literally seemed as if whomever they plugged in played well.

Ziggy
01-13-2015, 11:27 PM
Theres still some good candidates out there. Quinn, Urban Meyer, and Kubiak would be my top 3. I haven't heard any talk about Meyer, but I like the way he coaches. His players run through walls for him, and he always fields tough teams. His teams also play their best in big games.

chazoe60
01-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Theres still some good candidates out there. Quinn, Urban Meyer, and Kubiak would be my top 3. I haven't heard any talk about Meyer, but I like the way he coaches. His players run through walls for him, and he always fields tough teams. His teams also play their best in big games.

I don't know that he has any interest in the pro game though.

Buff
01-13-2015, 11:52 PM

I don't know that he has any interest in the pro game though.

I think Urban Meyer could succeed in the NFL, but it's no sure thing and personally I don't want to bring in a cult of personality type like him. Plus I think there's a learning curve there similar to what Nick Saban and Chip Kelly have experienced in the NFL. I don't get the sense that Elway is looking for a multi-year project.

dogfish
01-14-2015, 12:42 AM

good lord, man, bite your tongue! you'll have the tebow freaks all over us-- MO's little heart couldn't take it again. . .

MOtorboat
01-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Meyer isn't going to the pros.

If he leaves Ohio State it will be to retire in Florida.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2015, 12:57 AM
Urb is a college coach with a college system. No thanks.

Lancane
01-14-2015, 02:28 AM
From what I am seeing and hearing, Quinn has pretty much agreed to take the Atlanta position, and with Bowles gone to the Jets the Falcons are all in on Quinn.

But I'd bet money that despite the meeting set between Gase and Denver that Kubiak is atop their list. And I'll explain why and it's rather simple. Both Fox and Elway decided to part ways way too easily, which tells me that one if not both had ideas on where to go. I am pretty damn sure from all the news that Chicago and Fox had spoken before the Divisional Game with the Colts from what is being put out there by media outlets, and he wanted the job. But I have to wonder if Elway in a moment of clarity during the meeting with Fox did not see his friend Kubiak in Fox's place knowing he was available?

Oh well... As far as candidates, people need off the Urban Meyer wagon, he's already stated he is not ready and I'd bet money that Meyer is the top candidate to replace Belichick in New England when he does retire. My list would be: Gary Kubiak, Tom Clements, Pete Carmichael, Dan Quinn, Vic Fangio, Scott Linehan, Pep Hamilton, Sean McDermott, Kyle Shanahan and Frank Reich.

dogfish
01-14-2015, 02:43 AM
great list, cane. . . other than little shanny. . . i've wondered about clements-- little old for me, but i do love that mccarthy offense. . . if he'd bring van pelt as OC, i'd be all about it. . . and if quinn and austin are gone, mcdermott's worth a look if you want a younger defensive coach. . . tutored by jim johnson, and he did good work in carolina this year. . . reich is kind of an interesting long shot. . . linehan is ho hum to me. . . hamilton would be my first choice. . .

love gary, but i only want him if he brings in a fierce DC like schwartz. . . i'd take wade with a young offensive mind, but him and GK together just doesn't bring any fire. . .

Lancane
01-14-2015, 02:56 AM
If Kubiak is named Head Coach in Denver expect Dennison to be made Offensive Coordinator in Baltimore, he'll likely reach to Kyle Shanahan as Offensive Coordinator or even keep Greg Knapp here and make him Offensive Coordinator. A few names that have been mentioned as the possible Defensive Coordinator should Kubiak come to Denver is Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips, Don Martindale, Ted Monachino and Clarence Brooks.

DenBronx
01-14-2015, 06:18 AM
How come Tony Dungys name isnt being brought up? He has strong ties with Manning and a solid resume.

Not saying he is or isnt my choice.

Poet
01-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Dungy has never shown much desire to get back to coaching. From what I read he relishes spending his time at home with his family.

DenBronx
01-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Dungy has never shown much desire to get back to coaching. From what I read he relishes spending his time at home with his family.

Most likely that's why. But maybe he's had a nice break and would like to come here on a 1 or 2 year deal just to be able to coach with Manning again. Never know...but doubt it.

Poet
01-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Most likely that's why. But maybe he's had a nice break and would like to come here on a 1 or 2 year deal just to be able to coach with Manning again. Never know...but doubt it.

I don't think Elway would accept that. I think if Dungy asked for that Elway would hit him with a stunner.

underrated29
01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
If the gb guy came here he would likely also bring BJ Raji with him. We will need a DT once Knighton and del rio walk.

More and more I see ou iam being our HC..he is not my first choice but I can't really think of anyone I like better either. I do not want Nolan back at DC. We must get Schwartz, IMO.

Schwartzcan be the catalyst to our lack of spark and fire. Our team just needs one leader on the field and one coach. We had that with tebow and whatever his name was at DC...wasn't his biggest fan but he had that spark. Subsequently our defense played like all stars following tebow and the coach.

If we could somehow land the lions DC as HC (not sure how he'd be as HC) and he brought SUH with him and we landed Schwartz we'd have the impact player and coach. I believe our team would feed off that just as they did with tebow. We could be Super Bowl champs again.....if that teryl guy would make a good HC that is.

Basically after all my rambling I belive our most important hire is Jim Schwartz......oh my god, Im turning into Joel. :lol:

Ravage!!!
01-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Dungy has a losing playoff record and is a leader in one-n-done teams. The only reason to bring him in would be to fire him the next season, as it seems teams go to the Super Bowl the year after he's no longer coaching them.

Valar Morghulis
01-14-2015, 11:52 AM
I am quite surprised pagano in San Diego is not attracting any attention

chazoe60
01-14-2015, 11:55 AM
I am quite surprised pagano in San Diego is not attracting any attention

That's an interesting name. Grew up a Bronco fan in Boulder. Dad was a big time HS coach here in Colorado.

Traveler
01-14-2015, 11:59 AM
If Kubiak is named Head Coach in Denver expect Dennison to be made Offensive Coordinator in Baltimore, he'll likely reach to Kyle Shanahan as Offensive Coordinator or even keep Greg Knapp here and make him Offensive Coordinator. A few names that have been mentioned as the possible Defensive Coordinator should Kubiak come to Denver is Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips, Don Martindale, Ted Monachino and Clarence Brooks.

All those names listed above (save the last two) is exactly why I wouldn't like the Kubiak hire. Seems too deja vu-"ish" for my taste. I want fresh eyes with an eye toward the future (read-post Manning). Guess we should all be happy I'm not the GM.:D

Lancane
01-14-2015, 12:21 PM
All those names listed above (save the last two) is exactly why I wouldn't like the Kubiak hire. Seems too deja vu-"ish" for my taste. I want fresh eyes with an eye toward the future (read-post Manning). Guess we should all be happy I'm not the GM.:D

I think that right now there is two faces to this situation, the one that National Media is portending and the other which the Local Media and Fans are seeing. Nationally, Elway is looking to be a tantrum throwing, impatient General Manager who is too hung up on a broke down quarterback and pretty much destroyed the organization's respectability...whereas locally we see the media being more politically correct in their assessment but still not attacking the juicy tidbits we fans are seeing, like the fact Fox floated his name out there to be a Head Coach to see what interest he'd receive or that he is the one who initially pushed to part ways and expected it with the loss while Elway expected him to return initially. All this shit is sticking to Manning and Elway but Fox and the Coaching Staff are looking like victims of Elway's immature actions. As I said before, this will cause some candidates to look at us the wrong way and lose interest, whereas those guys with ties to us and know Elway will know better and not be quick to take what he says as some sort of ultimatum. Also there will be no question of loyalty for Elway, which he probably has now with what Fox pulled.

All in all, Kubiak might be the safest choice for all concerned.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2015, 12:29 PM

I don't know why you think these names wouldn't having an "eye" for the future.

VonDoom
01-14-2015, 12:31 PM
I think that right now there is two faces to this situation, the one that National Media is portending and the other which the Local Media and Fans are seeing. Nationally, Elway is looking to be a tantrum throwing, impatient General Manager who is too hung up on a broke down quarterback and pretty much destroyed the organization's respectability...whereas locally we see the media being more politically correct in their assessment but still not attacking the juicy tidbits we fans are seeing, like the fact Fox floated his name out there to be a Head Coach to see what interest he'd receive or that he is the one who initially pushed to part ways and expected it with the loss while Elway expected him to return initially. All this shit is sticking to Manning and Elway but Fox and the Coaching Staff are looking like victims of Elway's immature actions. As I said before, this will cause some candidates to look at us the wrong way and lose interest, whereas those guys with ties to us and know Elway will know better and not be quick to take what he says as some sort of ultimatum. Also there will be no question of loyalty for Elway, which he probably has now with what Fox pulled.

All in all, Kubiak might be the safest choice for all concerned.

Good post. I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines. So many of us were clamoring for Fox to get fired, but on the outside, it looks like Elway is a power hungry perfectionist who is going off the rails. Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised by that reaction. But it IS strange to people who don't follow the Broncos that closely that a 12 win team one year removed from a Super Bowl would suddenly fire/part ways with/allow to leave their entire coaching staff.

Traveler
01-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Good post. I've been doing a lot of thinking along these lines. So many of us were clamoring for Fox to get fired, but on the outside, it looks like Elway is a power hungry perfectionist who is going off the rails. Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised by that reaction. But it IS strange to people who don't follow the Broncos that closely that a 12 win team one year removed from a Super Bowl would suddenly fire/part ways with/allow to leave their entire coaching staff.

While Elway did say the staff was free to look for other opportunities, they are still under contract so if there really was someone they wanted to keep, they could stop his movent if they wanted. Having said that, Elway also mentioned the new coach would have the opportunity to choose his own staff. Additionally, I'm just not sure if any of the forrmer coaching staff would want to remain since they were hired by John Fox and thus be labled as Fox loyalist by association.

Dzone
01-14-2015, 12:46 PM
So whats with this report on the newsfeed this morning saying Kubiak to be named HC of Broncos today? When I clicked on the link it said the page was down. Looks like someone wanted to be the first to report on it, even if it was premature

TimHippo
01-14-2015, 12:49 PM
While Elway did say the staff was free to look for other opportunities, they are still under contract so if there really was someone they wanted to keep, they could stop his movent if they wanted. Having said that, Elway also mentioned the new coach would have the opportunity to choose his own staff. Additionally, I'm just not sure if any of the forrmer coaching staff would want to remain since they were hired by John Fox and thus be labled as Fox loyalist by association.

Well if they were fired it would be the same thing. They would be free to look for other opportunities or sit at home and collect their salary from the Broncos.
This is just a nice way of Elway saying you guys are fired without saying it.

Traveler
01-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Well if they were fired it would be the same thing. They would be free to look for other opportunities or sit at home and collect their salary from the Broncos.
This is just a nice way of Elway saying you guys are fired without saying it.

Gotta disagree. If they were fired, Elway wouldn't have to say they were free to look elsewhere. They are legally stil under contract.

Slick
01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
So whats with this report on the newsfeed this morning saying Kubiak to be named HC of Broncos today? When I clicked on the link it said the page was down. Looks like someone wanted to be the first to report on it, even if it was premature

No idea. As far as I know, John hasn't even interviewed anyone yet.

underrated29
01-14-2015, 12:58 PM

havent seen or heard anything. Didnt even think we had had an interview with anyone yet

underrated29
01-14-2015, 12:59 PM
No idea. As far as I know, John hasn't even interviewed anyone yet.

havent seen or heard anything. Didnt even think we had had an interview with anyone yet

Time stamp. We just tag teamed him. I hope it was good for you too.

shank
01-14-2015, 01:03 PM

mushroom stamp. i don't care if it was good for you.

Lancane
01-14-2015, 01:04 PM
According to NFLN Denver has made only one official request and that was to Austin of the Detroit Lions who is in Atlanta.

TimHippo
01-14-2015, 01:06 PM
According to NFLN Denver has made only one official request and that was to Austin of the Detroit Lions who is in Atlanta.

That is likely a Rooney rule interview. So Elway probably already has his next head coach lined up and signed.

Slick
01-14-2015, 01:08 PM

Did we cross swords?

underrated29
01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Did we cross swords?

I had my eyes closed

Bronco9798
01-14-2015, 01:18 PM
The Denver Post
Just now ·
JUST IN from Denver Post Sports: Don't rule out Adam Gase for the Broncos' head-coaching job. http://dpo.st/1zcOPry

Slick
01-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Slow day at work today again so I have plenty of time on the computer and Lancane is right. The only thing I've seen is that Denver requested an interview with the Lions DC.

Slick
01-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Slow day at work today again so I have plenty of time on the computer and Lancane is right. The only thing I've seen is that Denver requested an interview with the Lions DC.

That and what 9798 just posted. Nothing at all on Kubiak.

Ravage!!!
01-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Didn't the 49ers just part with Harbaugh? Is that really very different? Lovie Smith was basically out the door the year after going to the Super Bowl. Dungy was fired after taking the Buccaneers to three straight playoff appearances, something they hadn't done in 17 years prior. Schottenheimer was fired after taking the Chargers to a 14-2 AFC Championship. It's not that uncommon for coaches to be fired because they lose with teams they SHOULD be winning with.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-14-2015, 01:22 PM

I just saw a link on yahoo's main page. It was a link to SBNation, but apparently the article has been taken down. Elway would be crazy to confirm that right now, even if it were true. There's no way he's had time to interview any minority candidates......the Rooney rule, right?

Slick
01-14-2015, 01:23 PM
I just saw a link on yahoo's main page. It was a link to SBNation, but apparently the article has been taken down. Elway would be crazy to confirm that right now, even if it were true. There's no way he's had time to interview any minority candidates......the Rooney rule, right?

Maybe he did a quick interview with Studs while they were standing at the urinal at Dove Valley?

Bronco9798
01-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Maybe he did a quick interview with Studs while they were standing at the urinal at Dove Valley?

Do you think John looked?

Ravage!!!
01-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Do you think John looked?

It's John Elway.... he doesn't compare his to others...he knows that others have to TRY to compare to him.

Lancane
01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Didn't the 49ers just part with Harbaugh? Is that really very different? Lovie Smith was basically out the door the year after going to the Super Bowl. Dungy was fired after taking the Buccaneers to three straight playoff appearances, something they hadn't done in 17 years prior. Schottenheimer was fired after taking the Chargers to a 14-2 AFC Championship. It's not that uncommon for coaches to be fired because they lose with teams they SHOULD be winning with.

It's not the parting that is causing the stink Rav, it's the crap following in it's wake. What John Elway has said in his presser and what Jay Glazier is doing that is making this worse. There are media outlets portraying Fox and the staff of victims of Elway's impatience or immaturity as an NFL Executive. While Glazier is pretty much painting Fox as the perfect coach and such. Glazier reported this was long-time coming, but then why did Elway give Fox and extension last year? He is not going on about how Fox floated his own name to generate interest. Yesterday on Florio's Radio Show, Glazier said that Fox to Chicago was a done deal, that was in the morning before an official interview was even scheduled. But all the shit is falling at Elway's feet because he was being politically correct and a nice guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-14-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm not too worried about Glazier 's spin doctoring. It's pretty well known he and Fox are buddies. Glazier also has a reputation of being a grade A jerk.

VonDoom
01-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Hold off on the Gase to SF stuff for now:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 24m24 minutes ago

#Broncos OC Adam Gase spent the morning at the team facility and he’s met with GM John Elway about their head coaching vacancy, source said

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 21m21 minutes ago

Latest on Gase: Elway has NOT offered him the HC job yet. They are having frank discussions about the job.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 20m20 minutes ago

According to mulitiple sources, Gase has no deal with SF just yet. Broncos making a last-ditch effort to discuss the job.

Lancane
01-14-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm not too worried about Glazier 's spin doctoring. It's pretty well known he and Fox are buddies. Glazier also has a reputation of being a grade A jerk.

Yeah, unfortunately we have drivel media darlings both nationally and locally picking it up and running with the drivel like it's earth shattering. Shannon Sharpe is about the only person thus far to defend Elway and the decision but you know how animate he gets, at times it was a little to vocal to take serious.