PDA

View Full Version : Buying Into His System

Denver Native (Carol)
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/buying-into-his-system/

Two interceptions. Seven passes defensed. Six tackles for a loss. Three sacks.

The Broncos defense used all of those plays to keep the team in position for its come-from-behind, 12-7 victory over the Bengals in last Sunday’s opener.

While the players made the plays on the field, captain Brian Dawkins believes the secret to their success came from a proven leader upstairs in the coaches booth: defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

“It’s an attitude, so to speak, that he wants us to play with,” Dawkins said. “We have the guys that are capable of doing that if we know our jobs. If we are not thinking on the field, then we have the talent, the aggressiveness, to get the job done.”

With several playoff appearances to his own credit, Dawkins said much of that confidence comes from Nolan’s wealth of experience coaching top-flight teams.

“He is just someone who has had so much success in the past,” Dawkins said. “When you have that, guys are going to buy into it faster, I believe.”

BARRETT BACK AT PRACTICE
Josh Barrett returned to the practice field on Wednesday at Dove Valley. After missing the Bengals game with a shoulder injury, the safety was in his normal blue threads as a limited participant.

STACKING UP WITH THE REST
With kickoff weekend coming to a close, the NFL released a breakdown on Wednesday of heights, weights and ages on all 32 rosters. How did Denver stack up?

The Broncos have more players under 200 pounds than any other team in the AFC West. The Raiders and Chiefs each have eight on their rosters, while the Chargers have an AFC conference-low six cruiserweights. Only the Bears (12), Bengals (13) and Eagles (14) have more sub-200-pound faces on their rosters.

Denver sports the oldest AFC West roster by a hair, with an average age of 26.72 years. The Chargers came in a close second at 26.58 years, followed by the Raiders at 26.47 years. The Chiefs tied with the Colts for the youngest roster in the AFC at 25.89 years. The oldest team in the AFC was the New England Patriots at 27.19 years, while the Redskins have the oldest roster in the NFL at 27.60 years.

As for beef up front, the Broncos have 11 players who sport size of over 300 pounds. That tied them for sixth place in the AFC, with seven other teams. The NFC East proved to be the bulkiest division, with the Cowboys (16) and Giants (15) finishing first and second in the league.

Here are some more photos from the session: (on link)

smith49
09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
hey carol, since no one else has thanked you for posting this i will. thanks carol.

frenchfan
09-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks (and bisous ;) :D) Carol !

It's nice to see some D back in Denver... Damn... I wish we had this D last year ! :tsk: :D

:salute:

Dirk
09-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks (and bisous ;) :D) Carol !

It's nice to see some D back in Denver... Damn... I wish we had this D last year ! :tsk: :D

:salute:

Don't mention last year! :listen:

Dirk
09-17-2009, 06:14 AM
I was extremely pleased to see how the defense is buying into the system against the Bengals. It was almost a perfectly called game on the defense until the Bengals scoring drive. Every time I see a team go into the prevent or a form of it (without blitz' etc.) I think of when Shanny told Greg....do what ever you were doing until now in the SB win over GB. It just makes sense.

OMG, we actually have a defense forming!!!

Thnikkaman
09-17-2009, 08:51 AM
hey carol, since no one else has thanked you for posting this i will. thanks carol.

Hey smith, I know your new, and imma let you finish, but Carol is the best at posting these articles. :D

We are all usually grateful for the articles Carol and others find. But so we don't have to read through a thread of "Thank yous", there is that salute button at the bottom of her post that people tend to use to not have a thread full of "I agrees" and "Thank yous". There is also another salute icon that allows you to send a personal message to the poster about their post.

I realize that I might sound a bit like a jerk saying this in this way. My intent is to just show you these couple of features on this site.

claymore
09-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Hey smith, I know your new, and imma let you finish, but Carol is the best at posting these articles. :D

We are all usually grateful for the articles Carol and others find. But so we don't have to read through a thread of "Thank yous", there is that salute button at the bottom of her post that people tend to use to not have a thread full of "I agrees" and "Thank yous". There is also another salute icon that allows you to send a personal message to the poster about their post.

I realize that I might sound a bit like a jerk saying this in this way. My intent is to just show you these couple of features on this site.

Thank you Thnik.

T.K.O.
09-17-2009, 10:15 AM

i didnt have time.....its not that i'm not thankful.....its just that i just got here and....well i would have thanked her,
in fact i'm gonna do it now
thanks carol:D
oh arent i the sarcastic one this morning

T.K.O.
09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Thank you Thnik.

thank you for thanking Thnik for clarifying proper thanking Etiquette,
thanks again

TXBRONC
09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
From the very beginning I was happy with hiring of Nolan.

Ravage!!!
09-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm thankful that we have some nice postesr to share these articles and then some nicer posters to thank all that have thanked. I'm just... well.... thankful.

Let me say it another way.

THank you

Thank you

Thank you all...

UnderArmour
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM

We are all usually grateful for the articles Carol and others find. But so we don't have to read through a thread of "Thank yous", there is that salute button at the bottom of her post that
Hey Thnikkanaman, I know you've been here for awhile and you're a decent poster, and Imma let you finish, but Jrwiz is one of the posters of all time. Of ALL TIME.

With respect to the article, I could not believe that we honestly came that close to shutting out the opposing team. It was almost as much of a shock as our last offensive play. Hopefully our offense can pick it up with the defense keeping their pace.

GEM
09-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Thnikkanaman, I know you've been here for awhile and you're a decent poster, and Imma let you finish, but Jrwiz is one of the posters of all time. Of ALL TIME.

With respect to the article, I could not believe that we honestly came that close to shutting out the opposing team. It was almost as much of a shock as our last offensive play. Hopefully our offense can pick it up with the defense keeping their pace.

Hahaha!! You played that perfectly sir! :laugh:

broncofaninfla
09-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Hopefully Nolan is around for a couple of seasons and continues to be given the freedom to add the players he wants for his system. So far so good. I'm sure there will be some good times and bad this season but we are no doubt a better defensive team this year due to Nolan.

TXBRONC
09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Hopefully Nolan is around for a couple of seasons and continues to be given the freedom to add the players he wants for his system. So far so good. I'm sure there will be some good times and bad this season but we are no doubt a better defensive team this year due to Nolan.

If I'm not mistaken his contract is only for two years.

broncofaninfla
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken his contract is only for two years.

I'm guessing he'll want another head coaching gig after then and hopefully be considered for one. If he is that means our defense will be one of the better in the league at that time.

Shutdown
09-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm guessing he'll want another head coaching gig after then and hopefully be considered for one. If he is that means our defense will be one of the better in the league at that time.

I really hope this is not the case. I hope his time in Denver shows him that he is a far better DC than a HC. He is right where he should be. If Denver really becomes the powerhouse everyone thinks they will, what a way to finish out your career.

C'mon Nolan, don't try and be something your not. :defense:

TXBRONC
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM

That's the first thing that comes to mind for me. The reason he has such short contract is because he going to want to get another head coaching gig if can this defense turned around. I can't fault him for that.