PDA

View Full Version : Broncos expect, need special-teams upgrade in finale vs. Raiders

Denver Native (Carol)
12-27-2014, 10:48 AM
It was unanimous in the Broncos' locker room at Dove Valley this week that the play of their special teams Monday at Cincinnati wasn't acceptable. But coach John Fox led the opinion that there wasn't any reason to panic.

After all, the Broncos struggled in all three phases of the game while losing 37-28.

The Bengals had 206 return yards — 134 on three kickoff returns and 72 on three punt returns. Fox said better special-teams play is required in Denver's regular-season finale against Oakland on Sunday, and he believes he has the personnel to make the necessary improvements.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27213372/broncos-expect-need-special-teams-upgrade-finale-vs-raiders

Nomad
12-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Yep! I was expecting a veteran like Barth to be perfect.

OrangeHoof
12-27-2014, 01:10 PM
There were a couple of times when we got a key play that got us right into the game only to see a kickoff return or big run give that advantage right back.

Dzone
12-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Not sure why Tamme is on st. He is slow and doesnt tackle very well

BroncoWave
12-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Need? Yes. Expect? Well, they can expect in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster. I don't see the ST issues magically getting fixed in a week.

OrangeHoof
12-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Not sure why Tamme is on st. He is slow and doesnt tackle very well

When you're a backup tight end, it's generally expected.

Dean
12-28-2014, 08:48 PM
I think that you got your wish. Today was definitely a huge upgrade.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Too little too late, imo Dean, ST's coaching has been utter garbage for years, long before all the injuries to the LB's and TE's.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Too little too late, imo Dean, ST's coaching has been utter garbage for years, long before all the injuries to the LB's and TE's.

I wouldn't say that at all. Just last year our STs were seen as a strength. Prater was seen as one of the best PKs, Colquitt was seen as a top 10 punter, and Holliday - for all his fumbles - was a great returner. If Holliday had only had better hands, he'd be one of the best return men in the game. Our coverage units were better, too.

DenBronx
12-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Losing the ST captain, Bruton, isn't going to help.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2014, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't say that at all. Just last year our STs were seen as a strength. Prater was seen as one of the best PKs, Colquitt was seen as a top 10 punter, and Holliday - for all his fumbles - was a great returner. If Holliday had only had better hands, he'd be one of the best return men in the game. Our coverage units were better, too.
I remember these ST's having all the same issues, Holliday was Boom-or-Bust, but most mostly a Bust, a complete train wreck who rarely made the right decisions and you see them early in the season with Caldwell and Burse, to a lesser extent. Same thing with coverage and returns, they are consistent only at mistakes, blocks in the back, holding, etc.

When the Broncos get more than their usual 5-7 yard return I'm usually looking at the bottom of the screen for a flag of some sort, when they need a clutch coverage on Punt/KO I'm puckering the entire play. How long did it take to ditch Caldwell and go with Bolden?

I'm probably just overly negative about it but I think Rodgers is garbage.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-29-2014, 02:24 AM

The bye should give him enough time to recover.

DenBronx
12-29-2014, 02:57 AM

The bye should give him enough time to recover.

Hopefully, he got carried away on a stretcher.