PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Broncos' Peyton Manning is still great, but it's different now

Denver Native (Carol)
12-25-2014, 11:05 PM
At age 38, anytime Peyton Manning stinks in a football game, he knows what's coming: a football obituary, burying him and his brilliant NFL career.

"I wasn't really anxious to pick up the paper Tuesday," admitted Manning, whose four-interception performance against Cincinnati in front of a nationwide television audience prompted beginning-of-the-end stories from coast to coast.

The impending death of Manning's playing career has been greatly exaggerated. The veteran quarterback insisted on Christmas Eve he plans to play football again in 2015. So welcome that happy news as an extra gift under the tree, Broncos Country.

But we hold these truths to be self-evident:

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_27204583/kiszla-broncos-peyton-manning-is-still-great-but

Northman
12-26-2014, 06:54 AM
But if the Broncos trail New England by four points with four minutes remaining in the fourth quarter of the AFC championship game, wouldn't you rather have Manning under center than Brock Osweiler, Jay Cutler or almost any other NFL quarterback?

Maybe Andy Dalton. Lol

Manning cares too much to quit.

Favre cared to much to quit too Mike, even when it was clear he should.

Simple Jaded
12-27-2014, 02:32 AM
Careful what you wish for North.

Northman
12-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Careful what you wish for North.

Its not really about wishing, i just think ive been able to come to terms with the rebuilding process more than others. I think we've been able to make a great run at it but i also think that its going to take a lot more than Denver has to achieve the goal we want. Its not just the decline of Manning as i dont think we have the coaching to get it done but what are you going to do at this point? The clock is running out so you cant just start switching up the coaching at this point so all that is left is doing what we can even if it means we fall short again.

Simple Jaded
12-28-2014, 09:11 PM
No, I meant Andy Dalton.

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Its not really about wishing, i just think ive been able to come to terms with the rebuilding process more than others. I think we've been able to make a great run at it but i also think that its going to take a lot more than Denver has to achieve the goal we want. Its not just the decline of Manning as i dont think we have the coaching to get it done but what are you going to do at this point? The clock is running out so you cant just start switching up the coaching at this point so all that is left is doing what we can even if it means we fall short again.

Notsure if your saying you want to move on from Manning next year and begin the rebuilding process?

I don't think Manning is what he once was either, but I'm not interested in a rebuilding process that could take years to figure out. I'm certainly not sold on Osweiler and I'm definitely not sold on the current coaching staff to develop any other young QB anytime soon. There's always hope to get a new staff in that can come in and rebuild things back, but the chances of that actually working out and not busting is very low, especially without a franchise QB already set in place.

Northman
12-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Notsure if your saying you want to move on from Manning next year and begin the rebuilding process?

I don't think Manning is what he once was either, but I'm not interested in a rebuilding process that could take years to figure out. I'm certainly not sold on Osweiler and I'm definitely not sold on the current coaching staff to develop any other young QB anytime soon. There's always hope to get a new staff in that can come in and rebuild things back, but the chances of that actually working out and not busting is very low, especially without a franchise QB already set in place.

What im basically saying is if Manning feels its time to move on than im ok with that because i know the rebuilding time is coming sooner or later. Its going to happen at some point so Bronco fans just need to come to terms with that. Im not sure what will happen with Oz but im hopeful he can be the answer which will mean less time trying to figure out that particular position. Im also confident that the rebuilding process with Elway at the helm wont be as taxing or incompetent as it was prior with McD. As too whether or not Fox will be there when the rebuilding process takes over i dont know, but i have confidence that John will find the right guy for the job one way or the other.

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Yea I know it's coming soon and will be here before we know it. I am one who thinks Denver's rebuilding will take some time, and not looking forward to who knows how many years of frustration. Just way to hard to find good young franchise QB's in the NFL in this day and age. Some organizations have spent 10-20 years looking for QB's. I'll hang on to whatever hope for competing we have right now.

Simple Jaded
12-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Go Team Edward!

HORSEPOWER 56
12-29-2014, 10:06 PM
I still think that if we win the Super Bowl, Manning will retire and go out on top. I could be wrong and he says he wants to come back, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Dzone
12-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Manning, like Brady, will play until he is 45 and retire after the 2021 season.