PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' defensive line may be team's best ever

Denver Native (Carol)
12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Any number of statistics could make his point. Instead, DeMarcus Ware chose a moment to explain why the Broncos' current defensive line deserves to be considered among the franchise's all-time greatest.

Jogging his memory last week, Ware identified the week of practice after the humbling 22-7 loss to the St. Louis Rams as the tipping point. Tre Mason became the first running back to rush for 100 yards against the Broncos, an indignity that triggered change.

"We were letting (our) running backs in practice get through the line before we tackled them after 2 yards. After that game, we made it clear we want to stop them behind the line," Ware explained, voice raising for emphasis. "They weren't getting through the line anymore. Yeah, they get (upset). There have been some scuffles. That's the mentality we need. We can't turn the switch off. It has to stay on."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27185122/broncos-defensive-line-may-be-teams-best-ever

Northman
12-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Hmmm, i dunno. They are up there but i still like Smith, Williams, and Pryce more. But, they were on a better overall team than we have now.

Shazam!
12-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Broncos defense from 97-98 most unappreciated unit of all time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 01:27 PM
The 98 team had a good front 4, but this team's D is more complete. This secondary is much better.

Ravage!!!
12-22-2014, 01:34 PM
The 98 team had a good front 4, but this team's D is more complete. This secondary is much better.

But the LBs were better on the 98 team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
But the LBs were better on the 98 team.

That's debatable. I would take the current team's group if healthy (Von Miller, Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan).

Northman
12-22-2014, 02:21 PM
That's debatable. I would take the current team's group if healthy (Von Miller, Nate Irving, Danny Trevathan).

Ermm, yea i dont know. I would take Romo over any of those guys. Bill was a one man wrecking crew. And Mobley wasnt too shabby either.

Slick
12-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Hmmm, i dunno. They are up there but i still like Smith, Williams, and Pryce more. But, they were on a better overall team than we have now.

You forgot Keith Traylor, babycakes. Dude was a mountain of a man late in his career.

tripp
12-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Yeah... Bill Romanowski was a scary dude, he was my 2nd favourite Bronco LB next to only the great Al Wilson.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Ermm, yea i dont know. I would take Romo over any of those guys. Bill was a one man wrecking crew. And Mobley wasnt too shabby either.

Romo was good, but I wouldn't say he was great. Mobley was the most talented of that group.

You can't be serious about taking roid rage over Von Miller. Von is the best lb in football.

DenBronx
12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Romonowski was a beast!!! Atwater was pure terror! Trevor Pryce was a QB sack machine! Yeah that 97 and 98 team was so complete on D.

DenBronx
12-22-2014, 06:57 PM
I agree that Von is a better football player but Romo could get into the offenses mentally. He was a serious trash talker too and he would make you pay for your mistakes. He was just a mean mean guy on defense. Offenses hated him....I miss those days.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Romonowski was a beast!!! Atwater was pure terror! Trevor Pryce was a QB sack machine! Yeah that 97 and 98 team was so complete on D.

They were good, but I think nostalgia might be affecting judgement somewhat. This team is better against the run and the pass. Statistics back that up, even in an era that favors offensive production.

Krugan
12-22-2014, 07:12 PM
As far as lber groups, Tom Jackson and Randy Gradishar were a pretty damn good pair...

(edited: nyquil is bad for spelling, really bad)

Fire Bronc
12-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Rubin Carter, Paul Smith, Lyle Alzado, Barney Chavous, Tom Jacksonn, Joe Rizzo, Bob Swenson, and Randy Gradishar. Throw in Billy Thompson, Louis Wright (the original shut down corner), Steve Foley and Bernard Jackson, and you have the best Denver defense of all time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Rubin Carter, Paul Smith, Lyle Alzado, Barney Chavous, Tom Jacksonn, Joe Rizzo, Bob Swenson, and Randy Gradishar. Throw in Billy Thompson, Louis Wright (the original shut down corner), Steve Foley and Bernard Jackson, and you have the best Denver defense of all time.
I have too many bad memories of Foley getting beat deep.

DenBronx
12-22-2014, 08:25 PM

They were good, but I think nostalgia might be affecting judgement somewhat. This team is better against the run and the pass. Statistics back that up, even in an era that favors offensive production.

Could be nostalgia but it was epic no doubt. It's been way too long and if this so called better defense doesnt go all the way then it's all moot anyway. Id rather have a group of guys on this team that are clutch. I don't remember them getting blown like we did against the Rams and NE. If our guys were better than the 90s defenses then that would have never happened.

silkamilkamonico
12-22-2014, 10:07 PM
If the 97 98 D was so great, Denver would have finished the season undefeated, especially with that offense.

spikerman
12-23-2014, 12:00 AM
Re: the thread topic...... that discussion should be over.

NightTerror218
12-23-2014, 12:04 AM
And they jinx themselves

DenBronx
12-23-2014, 04:15 AM
They dont compare. Especially after todays game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-23-2014, 06:24 PM

The defense only gave up 21 points.

Tebowtime2011
12-23-2014, 06:58 PM

The defense only gave up 21 points. The defensive line was pretty bad today they got zero sacks and no pass rush whatsoever even though they did get some plays in the backfield I would say cinci's o line won the battle of the trenches, by unanimous decision and it wasn't very close.

SoCalImport
12-24-2014, 06:51 AM
I had to miss the game but from what I've read cincy came out and ran a number of screen plays which stymied Denver's passrush pretty well. With that said our O also played like crap and the Bengals were the better team when it mattered