PDA

View Full Version : Falcons could be eyeing Adam Gase for Mike Smith replacement

Northman
12-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Fine by me, they can have him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24906676/falcons-expected-to-fire-mike-smith-could-be-eyeing-adam-gase

Falcons (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/ATL/atlanta-falcons) owner Arthur Blank has informed multiple parties that he plans on moving on from head coach Mike Smith at the end of the season, sources said, and it would take a shocking playoff run to alter that scenario. Blank has also told some confidants that, for now, he expects to retain general manager Thomas Dimitroff, though it could be revisited through the hiring process.

Atlanta has fallen well below expectations the past two seasons, and while the Falcons are alive in the lowly NFC South despite having won just one game outside of their division all season -- against Arizona -- and have lost three of their last four. A loss to the Saints today would end their season, and even a hallow division win, at say 7-9, would not placate Blank, sources said, who believes some significant changes are necessary.

The Falcons expected to compete for a Super Bowl (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl) since 2012, and have suffered a 9-21 record the last two seasons.

While Smith is beloved in the organization, and he helped rebuild the franchise, he entered this season under pressure to improve the team and the season has been another struggle. The roster has also decayed and has had ongoing issues along the offensive and defensive line, and, depending on the pedigree of the coach Blank lands, making alterations to the front office as well could come into play.

Among the candidates the Falcons are doing due diligence on includes Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, with team president Rich McKay among those working through backchannels gathering information on top candidates. Stanford coach David Shaw could be a consideration as well.

Blank has longed to land a proven winner in the past, but with Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden staying in the broadcast booth, the number of candidates fitting that description are limited, and the Falcons next coach could end up being decidedly younger.

Shazam!
12-21-2014, 10:31 AM
McD lol

I think Matt Ryan is terribly overrated.

BroncoWave
12-21-2014, 10:47 AM
I'd hire McDaniels as my head coach way before I'd hire Gase. He's a better offensive mind and has been through it once, so he wouldn't have the same growing pains in learning how to be a head coach.

Tebowtime2011
12-21-2014, 11:22 AM
McD lol

I think Matt Ryan is terribly overrated. I love the *******. Matt Ryan that is, I can't stand that S.O.B. McD

HORSEPOWER 56
12-21-2014, 11:43 AM
The Falcon's problems are varied. I think Ryan is a good QB but the they are still feeling the effects of mortgaging a draft for Julio Jones and bad personnel decisions in keeping some of the talent they had. After all the praise Dmitroff got early on, he's really done a poor job since.

Both lines are in shambles and they haven't had a receiving threat at TE since TG retired. They've also been plagued by some key injuries. Jones, White, and Douglas are almost never healthy enough to be on the field at the same time and they have no running game to speak of.

If Gates gets hired and we can't re-sign JT, look for ATL to push hard for him in FA.

tripp
12-21-2014, 04:16 PM
ATL's problem lies within their garbage defence. Why would you go after an offensive minded guy like Adam Gase? Does he know how to fix defences? Because their D-Coordinator right now doesn't. Better bring in Dennis Allen unless we snatch him up if JDR goes somewhere this off-season.

spikerman
12-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Not to worry, if they hire McDumbass he'll trade Ryan anyway.

BroncoWave
12-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Not to worry, if they hire McDumbass he'll trade Ryan anyway.

LOL do people seriously think he is going to do this again? Like, really? Besides, he probably wouldn't even have control of personnel there. Also, he looks like a damn genius for that Cutler trade now anyway. The guy he traded him for, Orton, is doing better than him right now.

Northman
12-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Mcd failed with Orton. Guess he isnt a great coach.

BroncoWave
12-21-2014, 07:00 PM
McD sold high on Cutler. Very savvy move. I have a feeling that after having a few years to reflect on the mistakes he did make in Denver, he will absolutely kill it at his next job. He's a brilliant offensive mind. I just hope he goes to an NFC team, because I wouldn't want to have to face him in the AFC every year. I'm terrified he will go to Oakland and turn them around with Carr.

Poet
12-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Matt Ryan can make a lot of people look good. He is a superb player who does a lot with bad offensive lines and subpar RB's. Once you get out of the elite QB's Matt Ryan is right up there. Gase can get that ass carried by Lord Ryan. Oh yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

Northman
12-21-2014, 07:05 PM
McD sold high on Cutler. Very savvy move. I have a feeling that after having a few years to reflect on the mistakes he did make in Denver, he will absolutely kill it at his next job. He's a brilliant offensive mind. I just hope he goes to an NFC team, because I wouldn't want to have to face him in the AFC every year. I'm terrified he will go to Oakland and turn them around with Carr.

I think he will fail, just like any other NE assistant to leave. This genius you speak of has only shown promise in NE and never came to fruition in Denver or St. Louis. I would love for him to go to Oakland to keep that franchise in the dirt.

spikerman
12-21-2014, 07:34 PM
McD's problem is that he thinks system trumps talent. I'm no Cutler fan but in no way did he handle that situation correctly. I, for one, hope the Raiders hire him. #59-14.

BroncoWave
12-21-2014, 07:43 PM
McD's problem is that he thinks system trumps talent. I'm no Cutler fan but in no way did he handle that situation correctly. I, for one, hope the Raiders hire him. #59-14.

What makes you think mcd will have control of roster moves at his next job?

spikerman
12-21-2014, 08:48 PM
What makes you think mcd will have control of roster moves at his next job?

What makes you think he won't?

BroncoWave
12-21-2014, 09:38 PM
What makes you think he won't?

Well in Oakland the head coach sure doesn't pick the players, so he wouldn't have that power there. Pretty sure the GM in Atlanta picks their players and not Mike Smith, so McD wouldn't be able to do it there either.

But even if he does get personnel control at his next gig, I just find it comical that everyone is like "OMG he's gonna trade away all their talent". The Cutler situation was a really odd combination of events that probably wouldn't repeat at his next stop. Cutler was already mad that his coaches got canned and his poutiness about McD taking trade calls put flames on the fire. Probably not a situation that will arise again. The only other talented player McD got rid of was Marshall and he was such a headcase his next team dumped him too before he finally figured it out. So again, another unique situation.

But don't let that stop the revisionist history that McD just came in and got rid of all our talent for no good reason and that he'd for sure do it again at his next stop. I have a feeling there will be a bunch of disappointed people on here when he gets to his next stop and keeps all of his core talent.

spikerman
12-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Well in Oakland the head coach sure doesn't pick the players, so he wouldn't have that power there. Pretty sure the GM in Atlanta picks their players and not Mike Smith, so McD wouldn't be able to do it there either.

But even if he does get personnel control at his next gig, I just find it comical that everyone is like "OMG he's gonna trade away all their talent". The Cutler situation was a really odd combination of events that probably wouldn't repeat at his next stop. Cutler was already mad that his coaches got canned and his poutiness about McD taking trade calls put flames on the fire. Probably not a situation that will arise again. The only other talented player McD got rid of was Marshall and he was such a headcase his next team dumped him too before he finally figured it out. So again, another unique situation.

But don't let that stop the revisionist history that McD just came in and got rid of all our talent for no good reason and that he'd for sure do it again at his next stop. I have a feeling there will be a bunch of disappointed people on here when he gets to his next stop and keeps all of his core talent.

Two things:

There is no guarantee that either GM in Oakland or Atlanta will be back and,
Why don't you recognize snark?

BroncoWave
12-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Why don't you recognize snark?

Ah, so now you have yourself set up to be right either way. If he goes somewhere and doesn't trade anyone away you can say "Oh, I was only being snarky". But if he does trade people away you will be like "See, I told you so! He's trading away their talent". Nice little setup you have there!

DenBronx
12-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Bet the 49ers look at Gase too.

spikerman
12-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Ah, so now you have yourself set up to be right either way. If he goes somewhere and doesn't trade anyone away you can say "Oh, I was only being snarky". But if he does trade people away you will be like "See, I told you so! He's trading away their talent". Nice little setup you have there!

Thank you, but that wasn't my intent. In fact, I don't think he's gets either job. Better?

Valar Morghulis
12-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Mcd got too much, too soon. I reckon his next gig week be a success. Hope it's not Oakland.

But I also think Rex Ryan is a great HC - I would hate him to go to Oakland. If he does not get a HC job, I would love him as our DC.

In an ideal world, the faiders reward soprano - that should keep then down for at least another year.

What do you guys think about Shanny in Atlanta or for nostalgia - San Fran?

HORSEPOWER 56
12-22-2014, 09:42 AM
I would never hire/trust a coordinator from the Bellichick tree to be a HC. Every one of them has been a huge failure. Weiss, McDaniels, and their old DC, whose name escapes me at the moment, who coached in Cleveland and KC. All were terrible HCs who left their teams worse off than when they got them. The Patriot way works for BB, but that's it.

I don't think McDaniels will do any better as a HC because I don't think he's learned anything. A failure as a HC here followed by failure as OC of the Rams right back to where he had Brady to make him look good. I can't say Gase is any better because he's had Manning. At least Mike McCoy won with Tebow.

Nomad
12-22-2014, 09:47 AM
I would never hire/trust a coordinator from the Bellichick tree to be a HC. Every one of them has been a huge failure. Weiss, McDaniels, and their old DC, whose name escapes me at the moment, who coached in Cleveland and KC. All were terrible HCs who left their teams worse off than when they got them. The Patriot way works for BB, but that's it.

I don't think McDaniels will do any better as a HC because I don't think he's learned anything. A failure as a HC here followed by failure as OC of the Rams right back to where he had Brady to make him look good. I can't say Gase is any better because he's had Manning. At least Mike McCoy won with Tebow.

If that's the case, send McDaniels to Oakland.:D

OrangeHoof
12-22-2014, 11:40 AM
What makes you think the Falcons will fire John McCain? He's one win away from being back in the playoffs.

Northman
12-22-2014, 11:48 AM
What makes you think the Falcons will fire John McCain? He's one win away from being back in the playoffs.

The article stated that it would take a big playoff run to save his job. It seems the ownership in Atlanta is ready to move on from Smith.

Ravage!!!
12-22-2014, 01:31 PM
I would love for McDaniels to go to Oakland...or the Chiefs! Let them waller in that shit since they found it so enjoyable when he was dismantleing us.

Poet
12-22-2014, 03:38 PM
I would love for McDaniels to go to Oakland...or the Chiefs! Let them waller in that shit since they found it so enjoyable when he was dismantleing us.

A kind god would send him to the ******* Steelers or the Ravens. Not sure how he'd get a job there, but that's for god to sort out.

broncofaninfla
12-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Just curious, how is Mcd a brilliant offensive mind? His body of work outside of New England was nothing short of pathetic. IMO Brady an Manning make Mcd and Gase look far better than they actually are.