PDA

View Full Version : Aqib Talib, Broncos CB, named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2014, 11:23 AM
After recording a season-high eight tackles and snagging an interception to seal a 22-10 win against San Diego on Sunday, Denver Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

It’s the second time the 28-year-old has received the honor. He won the NFC award with Tampa Bay in 2010.

This is the 27th time a Broncos player has earned the AFC Defensive Player of the Week award, and first since Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie won it last season.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/12/17/aqib-talib-broncos-cb-named-afc-defensive-player-week/31591/

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2014, 11:45 AM
The play that effectively sealed the Broncos' fourth consecutive AFC West title was one of many examples of a defensive game plan that kept the Chargers off-balance from start to finish.

And it was all about cornerback Aqib Talib watching Philip Rivers and suckering the Pro Bowl quarterback into a throw to wide receiver Malcom Floyd, who ran a route that is usually the Bolts' most reliable tool, but in this case was their undoing: the dig.

"We just know Rivers loves to throw digs," said Chris Harris Jr. "He threw me a dig the first game and he came back and threw Talib a dig so that was great film study by him.

AND

"I looked at Philip the whole time," said Talib. "He probably thought we were in man (coverage), but we [were] not."

"I was just undercut [the route] and it really was (Defensive Coordinator) Jack (Del Rio). It really was Jack. He called a great call."

full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Upon-Further-Review-Broncos-Chargers/124528cd-c874-4865-9503-e63bf86e7016

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Wait wait... Del Rio was the one that made the call? Can't be. He's no good.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Wait wait... Del Rio was the one that made the call? Can't be. He's no good.

According to some he is no good. Many times, when defensive players are interviewed locally, they have nothing but praise for Del Rio.

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 12:32 PM
According to some he is no good. Many times, when defensive players are interviewed locally, they have nothing but praise for Del Rio.

This post isn't any sort of indictment on del Rio, but you almost never hear players publicly criticise their coaches. I remember the days of Champ effusively praising the likes of Bob Slowick and Jim Bates. I just don't put much stock into comments like that that players make.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 12:33 PM
This post isn't any sort of indictment on del Rio, but you almost never hear players publicly criticise their coaches. I remember the days of Champ effusively praising the likes of Bob Slowick and Jim Bates. I just don't put much stock into comments like that that players make.

Yeah.. I was going to say that, but I didn't want to add to the "yeah, but Del Rio sucks" mantra that seems to have grown momentum lately.

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Yeah.. I was going to say that, but I didn't want to add to the "yeah, but Del Rio sucks" mantra that seems to have grown momentum lately.

I don't really have a huge issue with del rio myself. I think our d has been pretty decent this year, other than a few lapses here and there. I just don't really put much stock into what players, who are always told to say the right things, say.

CoachChaz
12-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Del Rio is fine. If he would just help out his pass rushers every once in awhile by calling blitz here and there, he could be regarded even higher.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-17-2014, 01:24 PM

What I have heard defensive player(s) say about DelRio has been voluntary, and not a response to a question they were asked in regards to him.