PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Broncos Playoff Rematch

WARHORSE
12-17-2014, 01:51 AM
Okay, we havent gotten there yet, yada, yada, yada........nevertheless after watching the game against the Chuggers, Im just at a loss for words. Someone please tell me we are gonna unleash in the playoffs.

There are a few things bothering me that just arent giving me confidence in beating the Pats.......no matter where we play. There are other things that ARE encouraging me. I definitely see a rematch coming for the AFC Championship with the Pats.

Obvservations to this point:

Our offensive line stunk like crazy early on and the Pats game was the first one to really exploit it. Belichick ripped Cornick a new butthole and proved me right. With Cornick in there, Vasquez was repeatedly hung out to dry.
The line is MUCH better with Schoefield in and ManRam at guard, Vasquez at tackle. Also, the exquisite move by Elway to spread the 'responsibility' around by running it more I think will pay off in spades. The defense was just
WAY to lax with Peyton running up the score on everyone. Closer games puts just as much blame on the defense if we lose. So far, I feel the defense has responded.

As much as we are running the ball, every game our Oline has more and more game tape to watch in order to get better. Its one thing to run the ball, but when you can line up and run it when they know youre going to run is another.
I feel like we have a much better chance of being successful at that against the Pats and others with Elways committment to the run. CJ, Thompson and Hillman will all benefit as well.

Our play action in two TE sets will be effective, and if thats effective along with a wide open offense that can play quick ball when we want.....that would really stretch defenses mentally. We need to be able to grind out TOUGH yards if we need to.

Running the ball keeps Peyton healthy during the regular season...perhaps I should say, more healthy. I think we need to throw more to Virgil Green and have him ready to play a wrench role when we need it.

The defense getting turnovers the last few weeks has my mouth watering. Id like to see more blitzing especially when in obvious passing situations, and I love that Rahim sat down on Gates route, and Im hoping it was a called play because it has been simply OBVIOUS to me that TJ Ward is a huge liability in coverage. Every team that needs a go to play goes after Ward. Ward has given up more big play opportunities to opposing teams than everyone else combined.
Rahim played it.

Coaching. Im not fired up about our coaching......primarily on gameday. I saw some things in the Chugger game that just had me thinking, "How in the world......????"

End of the first half, Peyton goes out, we have the lead and we're trying to run clock after getting the ball back with 140, in which case Im thinking we are NOT going to go into a 2 minute offense with OZ.........What coach calls a pass play to OZ on first down after watching Peyton hand it off on first and second almost the entire first half? (sure seemed like it, no?) and then again on second down??????? Im beside myself. We run the ball the whole game 39 plays to 22 pass plays, and we called TWO passes to Osweiler near the end of the half? I just dont get it. The tipped pass almost gets picked, and we stop the clock regardless. DUMB. Second pass....intentional grounding. DUMB.

THEN, on third down, CJ Anderson runs out of bounds with the ball. DUMB. Three plays, three clock stoppages. This led directly to a field goal possibility which they converted.

I just dont see a smart team in situational football other than Peyton, Welker and a few others.

We only converted 25% of our third downs.

My hope:

Im hoping we unleash our offense at its fullest capacity come playoff time. There is NO reason we shouldnt put a big hurtin on people.
Our defense needs to think STOPS no matter what the situation is.

When we have a big lead, our defense seems to think, just dont give up the big play. DUMB.

I dont know what to think about this team really.

I wanna believe.......but its tough.

GO BRONCOS.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-17-2014, 01:57 AM
Yeah, we have a few bugs to work out, but I like the fact that we're physically dominating teams on both sides of the ball.

7DnBrnc53
12-17-2014, 02:18 AM
The only thing that scares me is coaching. I still don't like Fox or Del Rio.

Against the Pats, though, the Broncos have to keep stopping the run like they have, but they need to bump Gronk and Edelman, rush up the middle more on third and long, and they need to dare Brady to throw deep. His accuracy on downfield throws isn't what it used to be.

Also, if the Broncos go to Foxboro (this is going to sound dumb, but it is legit), they need to PLAY TO WIN!!!

No feeling out the opponent like they did last time they went there. No running on third and six in their territory like Miami did on Sunday (only to have their FG attempt blocked and returned for a TD). No kicking an extra point when you just scored a TD, and you are down by 2.

PLAY TO WIN IN FOXBORO!!

CoachChaz
12-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I've been on board with the coaching issue for 3 years. I would say if the playoffs started today...I would easily pick NE to beat us. We're running the ball and playing pretty good defense, but NE just happens to always be a matchup nightmare for us.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 09:56 AM
It's not about how much better we are, how good our Defense is, etc., when we go to New England we always seem to just go in a funk for whatever reason. If we have to go to New England this year, it will probably happen again for whatever reason. I have a horrible feeling we will play horrible and get blown out again. How can you feel any different.

tomjonesrocks
12-17-2014, 10:02 AM
I've been on board with the coaching issue for 3 years. I would say if the playoffs started today...I would easily pick NE to beat us. We're running the ball and playing pretty good defense, but NE just happens to always be a matchup nightmare for us.

Agreed. Denver really has no shot in that game for a pile of reasons. Maybe Gronk gets injured between now and then. But for now thinking Denver has really any chance at all with any gameplan is wishful thinking.

Pats are in the SB barring some really shocking developments.

CoachChaz
12-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Agreed. Denver really has no shot in that game for a pile of reasons. Maybe Gronk gets injured between now and then. But for now thinking Denver has really any chance at all with any gameplan is wishful thinking.

Pats are in the SB barring some really shocking developments.

Easily. My biggest hope between now and March is that Elway realizes that no matter how much talent he puts on the field, it doesnt mean shit until he has a staff that knows how to use it.

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 10:14 AM
To say there is "no shot" is a bit preposterous. I agree will be big underdogs, but it's the NFL. Anything could happen. We could benefit from turnovers, bad calls, injuries, maybe we play our A game and the Pats have an off day. Upset wins are not uncommon at all in the playoffs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-17-2014, 10:14 AM

They do, but not because they have more talent.

weazel
12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
any given Sunday.... but this team isn't running on all cylinders. The redzone offense is ridiculous, how in the world did this offense get this predictable and easy to defend?

I would love for them to prove me wrong but I just dont see a Superbowl contender when I watch the Broncos play. Playoffs are still fun to watch though!

CoachChaz
12-17-2014, 10:25 AM
They do, but not because they have more talent.

No...it's actually the opposite. If the SB winner was based on talent, we'd have already won. Unfortunately, we dont have the coaching staff to lead this group.

Buff
12-17-2014, 10:51 AM
You can usually count on John Fox to make the wrong decision in the 2 minute drill.

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 10:53 AM
You can usually count on John Fox to make the wrong decision in the 2 minute drill.

Fox needs to hire someone to oversee in-game strategic decisions, and Fox can then just handle more of the leadership and motivation aspects of coaching. That would really be ideal.

underrated29
12-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Fox needs to hire someone to oversee in-game strategic decisions, and Fox can then just handle more of the leadership and motivation aspects of coaching. That would really be ideal.

Shanny

Buff
12-17-2014, 10:56 AM

He should be forced to give up challenge and timeout responsibilities as well.

underrated29
12-17-2014, 11:02 AM
On topic though, I believe it is gase inability to work the middle of the field and del rio refusing to bring the heat on brady, through the A GAP!!!!!!!!!

I actually have faith that the defense can hold them. I really do. It's the offense that worries me a ton. I know exactly what's going to happen. We are going to run it fairly well until NE sells out to stop the run. When they do we are going to go to the Wr bubble screen - Always on 2nd and 7-9 yards to go, or 3rd and 6-8. We will thens work these 7 step drops, long slow developing plays to wait for the crossers and picks or to go deep down the sideline. When those don't work we just try them again.

I saw hope last week with the quick slants to DT. Not sure if that was manning or gase but it was beautiful. If gase can bring back these quick hits in the pass game. And throw more then 5 passes a game to the middle of the field I will feel very comfortable beating them. He's just so predictable and unoriginal and repetitive right now.

I like Harris on man vs Edelman. I like talib in gronk with bruton over the top. And send some pressure A GAP style on brady. He may beat us a few times but if we can hit him more then once he will start to fold he will make bad throws and I don't think he has the balls to get his head smashed throughout the game.

Tebowtime2011
12-17-2014, 11:03 AM
I think we have a chance if we are healthy, and not a good one because Gronk is a beast among men. We need that bye week more than any other team. If possible I don't even want our starters playing against the raiders if we can clinch the bye week after a Bengals win. Our players would be extremely more durable come playoff time. And the raiders will get another win hopefully to get worse draft position. I guess I just love ideal situations.

Nomad
12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm looking forward to the opportunity. If BRONCOS can beat the Patriots in NE, I have no doubt they'll win the Superbowl.

If it's Fox handcuffing this team, then Elway needs to find someone you can lead this team. I'll put most of the weight on Manning, though.

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 11:16 AM
He should be forced to give up challenge and timeout responsibilities as well.

Yeah I was counting those as part of in-game strategic decisions.

LawDog
12-17-2014, 11:20 AM
To say there is "no shot" is a bit preposterous. I agree will be big underdogs, but it's the NFL. Anything could happen. We could benefit from turnovers, bad calls, injuries, maybe we play our A game and the Pats have an off day. Upset wins are not uncommon at all in the playoffs.

I agree. I love being the underdog in the playoffs.

Davii
12-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Debbie Downer HQ.

No shot? Please. Such an assertion is laughable at best.

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Debbie Downer HQ.

No shot? Please. Such an assertion is laughable at best.

Agreed. The Pats have lost several home playoff games over the last few years. While tough, it's not impossible to beat them there.

Having said that I'll be really surprised if they do pull it off, but they certainly have a shot.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 11:41 AM
If we play like there like we have in the past few years, then I would gauge it as a small probability we win. It will be January, probably a night game and the odds will be stacked against us as usual. i don't think we will play any better this time around. Would love to win, but I won't have high hopes at all. And would love to be wrong.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 12:13 PM
any given Sunday.... but this team isn't running on all cylinders. The redzone offense is ridiculous, how in the world did this offense get this predictable and easy to defend?

I would love for them to prove me wrong but I just dont see a Superbowl contender when I watch the Broncos play. Playoffs are still fun to watch though!

I don't think it is. Buffalo just beat Green Bay with that defense. The Chargers held New England to 0-4 in the redzone the week before we played them. So its not like we have played "easy" teams the last two weeks.

As for the other complaining about our coaching staff... I think they are EXTREMELY underrated by our own "couch coaches" and fanbase. How many could change their offense in the middle of the season for a guy like Tebow...and win? How many could/would change it in the middle of the season for Manning who's run the same offense for umpteen years? Extremely underrated for the job they have done, and I'm betting Elway can see what a great job they have done.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
On topic though, I believe it is gase inability to work the middle of the field and del rio refusing to bring the heat on brady, through the A GAP!!!!!!!!!

hah.. I love your coaching.

But the best way for Brady or Manning to beat you... is to blitz them. Their QB rating goes to the very top of the list when being blitzed.

7DnBrnc53
12-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't get something: NE got blown out at KC a few months ago, and now they are a shoo-in to go to the SB? Something seems fishy.

I have seen this before. Four years ago, they lose at Cleveland in November, then go on a tear.

However, what happened in the playoffs? That's right, exit in their first game.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't get something: NE got blown out at KC a few months ago, and now they are a shoo-in to go to the SB? Something seems fishy.

I have seen this before. Four years ago, they lose at Cleveland in November, then go on a tear.

You lost me..

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 12:35 PM

I don't really see what your example has to do with this season. The Pats have been a totally different team since that Chiefs game. They are absolutely the favorites in the AFC right now. Does that guarantee they will win it? No, but they are and should certainly be favored to.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Seems weird how that KC game woke them up. KC fans pat themselves on the back for that win, but can't seem to beat a winning team since.

7DnBrnc53
12-17-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't really see what your example has to do with this season. The Pats have been a totally different team since that Chiefs game. They are absolutely the favorites in the AFC right now. Does that guarantee they will win it? No, but they are and should certainly be favored to.

Come playoff time, you may see what I am talking about.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Patriots aren't going 1 and out at home in the playoffs this year.

OrangeHoof
12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Seems weird how that KC game woke them up. KC fans pat themselves on the back for that win, but can't seem to beat a winning team since.

My first suggestion would be to study the KC game and ask what *we* can apply to our own personnel. We don't have Jamaal Charles but there were probably other things that worked. What were they and how can we replicate them?

Secondly, tempo will make a difference. Mix in some "hurry up" early and see if you can catch them in some mismatches.

I think weather will be a major factor. If it's cold and shitty like Massachusetts normally is in January, we have to keep Manning out of long distance downs (ie. 3rd and 10, etc.).

Maybe we can send Welker on a kamikaze mission to take out Revis. That worked really well last year against their top corner. What was his name again?

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 01:09 PM
My first suggestion would be to study the KC game and ask what *we* can apply to our own personnel. We don't have Jamaal Charles but there were probably other things that worked. What were they and how can we replicate them?

Secondly, tempo will make a difference. Mix in some "hurry up" early and see if you can catch them in some mismatches.

I think weather will be a major factor. If it's cold and shitty like Massachusetts normally is in January, we have to keep Manning out of long distance downs (ie. 3rd and 10, etc.).

Maybe we can send Welker on a kamikaze mission to take out Revis. That worked really well last year against their top corner. What was his name again?

You're not going to gain anything from that tape. That was like a one night stand. It was Arrowhead stadium on a big stage. Chiefs pull that every so often in a big game. They never get on a national stage. It just happens. You will see nothing on that tape but fundamental breakdowns from a good team that has already been corrected.

BroncoJoe
12-17-2014, 01:11 PM
If I was Fox, I'd have people breaking down the Patriots now.

EastCoastBronco
12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
This thread feels like a "prediction" thread so I will predict this.
Buffalo goes into Foxboro in 2 weeks and beats the Pats in a defensive battle.
They have shut down our offence and Green Bay's offence in the last 2 weeks so it's not that big of a stretch.

We win out and host the AFC championship game and beat the Pats.
We made Brady look average last year in the AFC championship and we can do it again...Gronk or no Gronk.
If we have to play in Foxboro against the elements, Brady, Belechick and the home cooking refs, I don't like our chances at all.
That place is like Kryponite to Manning.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 01:16 PM
You just have to go in on game day and play your game. Breaking tape down at this point of the season is useless. All teams will have new wrinkles and do different things. You just have to play your game and let it happen. Tapes are worthless. It's how you execute and how you play that day for 60 minutes of football. Practice your game, worry about yourself, and go play football. Breaking down a tape is worthless. (again, my opinion).

underrated29
12-17-2014, 01:22 PM
hah.. I love your coaching.

But the best way for Brady or Manning to beat you... is to blitz them. Their QB rating goes to the very top of the list when being blitzed.

Ask the NY Giants about that. Ask the broncos last year how they beat brady?

As for the coaching things Rav, I know you are a big mccoy fan, but a lot of teams change their offense mid season. The funny thing is all Mccoy did was call run plays. Really not that hard to do. Remember the game we won and tebow completed 2 passes!?? Not hard to do when all you do is call the read option and run plays. Guess what, every team with a mobile QB does it. Cam newton and panthers, Sanchez and eagles (or foles when he was there) RG3, kaep, Russell wilson....the list goes on and on. Not hard to do.

let me give an example: Mccoy- 1st down- run right. 2nd down- run up the gut. 3rd down Qb Draw. Repeat repeat repeat.

Now tell me how our offense suddenly went from mediocre to record breaking of all time!!!! With the simple subtraction of Mccoy and addition of welker we didnt just improve. We DOMINATED LIKE THE NFL HAS NEVER EVER SEEN BEFORE!!!.

the sad thing is that Gase has stopped calling a lot of those plays he did last year. The quick hitters. Working the middle of the field. The seem routes. -Remember Julius Thomas getting lit up on the seem against Balt and peyton telling him "remember how I told you to bend in after the LB"....When was the last time you have seen that play? I cannot remember. Not even by Julius but by any WR/TE.
-Aside from the TWO quick slants to DT last week, when was the last time you saw us call a play like that?
-Remember Welkers TDs against the chargers and raiders last year? It was like a minuature fade (dont know what to call that play) down the middle of the field. Last time you have seen that?
-Remember the 4th and 1 against the raiders where peyton thew a 1 step drop (half step drop) to tamme right off the line of scrimmage, straight down field?
-Remember the fake wr bubble screen to a seem pass or corner?
-Remember the PA fake for a post route?

I doubt you or anyone remember them because we have not run them at all this year. Everything is to the outside or down the sidelines.

Now:
-Remember the wr bubble screen (almost always on 2nd and 7-9 or 3rd and 6-8)
-Remember the deep pass down the sidelines
-Remember the sideline out routes for 2-4 yards to welker or TE
-Remember the long developing crossing pick plays

I know you do, because that is all we run.
Once in the redzone we start to attack downfield for the TD. Until we get there it is all outs and sidelines. Like a Giant horseshoe.

Now, if I can see this. Over and over and over again. What do you think BB and the pats who are paid to scout us inside and out and know a hell lot more than any of us will see. I mean, I can even name the down and distance we run most of those plays.

PatriotsGuy
12-17-2014, 01:35 PM
We're on to the Jets.

Buff
12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
UR29, you are driving me crazy with your analysis... First, McCoy was never the horrible play caller you thought he was. He's actually pretty good at exploiting mismatches. We saw it with Tebow, we saw it with Manning, we see it with the improved SD offense. That's why he's lasted in the league as an o-coordinator and risen to that level.

Second, harping on Gase avoiding the middle of the field... Everyone in the league knows that crossing routes over the middle are our bread and butter. Everybody! We didn't stop doing it because we love throwing fades - we did it because every team emphasizes taking away those crossers onces Seattle gave them the blueprint. Also - because Manning's lack of arm strength makes throws over the middle riskier than usual.

I just think it's silly to always be harping on play calling.

Timmy!
12-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Bookmarked this thread for some golden crow nuggets in a month, but it really won't matter because the AFC championship game will be in Denver......and it won't be the Pats coming to town either. :Nostratimmy:

underrated29
12-17-2014, 02:06 PM
UR29, you are driving me crazy with your analysis... First, McCoy was never the horrible play caller you thought he was. He's actually pretty good at exploiting mismatches. We saw it with Tebow, we saw it with Manning, we see it with the improved SD offense. That's why he's lasted in the league as an o-coordinator and risen to that level.

Second, harping on Gase avoiding the middle of the field... Everyone in the league knows that crossing routes over the middle are our bread and butter. Everybody! We didn't stop doing it because we love throwing fades - we did it because every team emphasizes taking away those crossers onces Seattle gave them the blueprint. Also - because Manning's lack of arm strength makes throws over the middle riskier than usual.

My friend, he was. He absolutely was. The worst we have ever had. Many agree with this. Just a few people still remain loyal (kind of like the cutler and tebow guys)....He has not and does not call the plays in San Diego. He has publicly said that. That is one reason why they are better. He is a good HC. I thought he would make a good coach. I like how he knows his players and knows them well. Calling plays he just cant do.

Mannings arm is stronger than it was last year and the year before. last year we we called many plays that were not predictable and we beasted. This year we only call those. And when the "seattle blueprint" happens we go to the wr bubble. We do not go to what worked last year.

I only harp on it when it is stale or predictable. Each year with mccoy I did and only this year with gase have I started to say he is getting short sighted. I still like gase. I do not think he is quite there yet though. Before mccoy or last year I never once had issue with playcalling.

and seriously, is there anything about the plays I spoke of above that you cannot agree with? We have not run the plays I listed and we constantly run the plays I said we do. It has gotten a little stale.

7DnBrnc53
12-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Bookmarked this thread for some golden crow nuggets in a month, but it really won't matter because the AFC championship game will be in Denver......and it won't be the Pats coming to town either. :Nostratimmy:

If that's true, don't say I didn't tell you guys so. It could be 2010 all over again.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 02:15 PM

UR has the answers.. is the next Broncos OC.

But I also think that the lack of exploiting the middle has to do with Welker not being as quick as he once was. He's not beating defenders like he used to. Our TE, before injury, had to stay in more to help with the OL (even as bad as he was at it, him on the field as a threat was worth him being on the field to block little). So the middle of the field, crossing routes, just aren't going to be there like they were last season.

underrated29
12-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Those are good points Rav, I am sure they do factor in.

Maybe I should be. If I do, Ill get you all tix to the game.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Patriots aren't going 1 and out at home in the playoffs this year.

I actually think the Broncos very well could be with the teams this year.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
I actually think the Broncos very well could be with the teams this year.

Broncos will win the 1st game and go to New England and get out coached and out played. It's just setting up that way.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Broncos will win the 1st game and go to New England and get out coached and out played. It's just setting up that way.

How would they be out coached that you know of?

Personally, I think Brady is just better in big games than Manning. I think NE wins because of Brady more than a "difference" in coaching.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 02:37 PM

I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

I really like our defense, and I do think we can be competitive with that defense although I don't see them shutting Brady down.

I don't know I'm just not real sold on our offense. Cj ANderson is the real deal and love him. Running game is TOUGH. I do buy in a little to the rumors around Dove Valley that Manning is struggling a little with rythem in the new offense. I don't buy Gase's playcalling at all and don't think he really knows what he is doing with the new offensive scheme.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Personally, I think Brady is just better in big games than Manning. I think NE wins because of Brady more than a "difference" in coaching.

My opinion. I don't know that they will. None of us do. Just my thought. I think BB is better at scheming, more involved with game prep than Fox, etc., Just a better coach than Fox. Again, My opinion.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Sure, I agree with that as well. I have absolutely no faith that this team plays to their ability if they go to New England.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:41 PM
it don't matter how good you are, how good you have been, and all that. It's how you prepare and play that day. You can have all the talent in the world. But if you play like shit, it just don't matter.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Sure, I agree with that as well. I have absolutely no faith that this team plays to their ability if they go to New England.

I think a lot of that will have to do with just how good New England is at home. We could very well play our best that day and they could still beat us.

Buff
12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
I think a lot of that will have to do with just how good New England is at home. We could very well play our best that day and they could still beat us.

Are you guys watching different games than me? Everyone is talking like Tebow is our QB and these are the 2007 Randy Moss Patriots, who by the way lost in the Super Bowl. They are totally beatable, and we are a good team when we play our best game.

I get that we'd be underdogs, but I don't get the whole defeatist mentality like we are below average.

Timmy!
12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Are you guys watching different games than me? Everyone is talking like Tebow is our QB and these are the 2007 Randy Moss Patriots, who by the way lost in the Super Bowl. They are totally beatable, and we are a good team when we play our best game.

I get that we'd be underdogs, but I don't get the whole defeatist mentality like we are below average.

It's not like we have beaten the most teams with a winning record in the league or something Buff.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:50 PM

Been a diehard for about 38 years. Sometimes you just get used to things and have feelings. And usually they have been right over the years. Home Field advantage is huge in January. Peyton playing in New England is a recipe for disaster (as zam would say). Just a horrible gut feeling if we have to travel there.

Mike
12-17-2014, 02:50 PM

I could see either Balt or Pitt coming into town and pulling an upset.

I would bet Denver, but wouldn't be surprised if either of them pulled an upset. I also think either of them could go into NE and win.

This team is more talented than NE. With the right gameplan we can win even in NE. Not confident we can put together that gameplan.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:52 PM

I would bet Denver, but wouldn't be surprised if either of them pulled an upset. I also think either of them could go into NE and win.

if NE could lose in round 1, that would be wonderful. That's what we need.

underrated29
12-17-2014, 02:54 PM
I do not feel balt or pitts would give us any trouble. I could see balt giving the pats trouble but not winning. Honestly, we are the top 2 teams in the AFC and one of us will almost assuredly rep the AFC.

If we can get home field or if we can attack brady through the A GAPs (He hates it more than any qb I have ever seen. Even more than rivers)- like we did last playoff game. Then I think we can knock them off the pedestal again and make back to back appearances in the SuperBowl.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 02:55 PM

I don't get it. We would be playing New England in Foxborough. It isn't like we would be playing the Raiders at home. And I'm shocked that you would not get the notion that the Patriots could possibly beat the Broncos at home with both teams playing their best football. They are beatable, and so is Denver. Like Denver, they are also a pretty damn good team.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 02:56 PM
You can attack Brady through any gap you want. He's still going to beat you more times than not at home.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 02:57 PM

This team is more talented than NE. With the right gameplan we can win even in NE. Not confident we can put together that gameplan.

Baltimore or Pittsburgh could both go into New England and Denver and very well win. Playoffs will be a lot of fun this year.

Buff
12-17-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't get it. We would be playing New England in Foxborough. It isn't like we would be playing the Raiders at home. And I'm shocked that you would not get the notion that the Patriots could possibly beat the Broncos at home with both teams playing their best football. They are beatable, and so is Denver. Like Denver, they are also a pretty damn good team.

Of course I get that losing is a potential outcome - probably even the likely outcome - I said we'd be underdogs. But I give us like a 40% chance of winning, whereas I'd interpret your previous statement as giving us like a 10% chance of winning. And that seems off-base.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Of course I get that losing is a potential outcome - probably even the likely outcome - I said we'd be underdogs. But I give us like a 40% chance of winning, whereas I'd interpret your previous statement as giving us like a 10% chance of winning. And that seems off-base.

Well, I never said anything about a 10% chance of winning. If I'm putting money down, I would probably put it down on the Patriots. It looks like you just might too.

If I compare the 2, I wouldn't give our offense an edge over them at anything. They just might even be better at running the ball than we are right now, and their pasing game looks to be a little more prolific than ours. They have a guy in Gronkowski that they could literally just throw the ball too every time and march down the field agaisnt anyone it seems. Their defense is pretty f'n good, too. However, I would probably give ours an edge. But then again, we don't have anyone that can cover Gronk.

tomjonesrocks
12-17-2014, 03:11 PM

I'd have no problem saying Denver has less than a 5% chance of winning that game.

Beating the Pats this year in their house in the cold the way they are playing, with Manning looking like age is finally catching up with him and giving up what we do in coaching--it's basically an insurmountable task.

I'd say 40% if Denver were playing at home in good weather.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
My opinion. I don't know that they will. None of us do. Just my thought. I think BB is better at scheming, more involved with game prep than Fox, etc., Just a better coach than Fox. Again, My opinion.

Well, yeah. But what coach would you pick to do those things better than Belicheck?

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Well, yeah. But what coach would you pick to do those things better than Belicheck?

Not John Fox by any means. John Fox is a good coach, great man and human being. I have never been sold on his coaching and game time decision making.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Not John Fox by any means. John Fox is a good coach, great man and human being. I have never been sold on his coaching and game time decision making.

Thats ok, he's not trying to sell you. But point being, who would you pick to do those things against Belicheck and be better at them?

WTE
12-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Thats ok, he's not trying to sell you. But point being, who would you pick to do those things against Belicheck and be better at them?

John Harbaugh. He often has a great game plan against NE.

tripp
12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
This is what you're doing with the Patriots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnXQdkqChg

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 05:03 PM

I could care less who it is or isn't. My point is I don't think Fox is a great coach overall. But, I like the guy. He's a good dude.

7DnBrnc53
12-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Well, I never said anything about a 10% chance of winning. If I'm putting money down, I would probably put it down on the Patriots. It looks like you just might too.

If I compare the 2, I wouldn't give our offense an edge over them at anything. They just might even be better at running the ball than we are right now, and their pasing game looks to be a little more prolific than ours. They have a guy in Gronkowski that they could literally just throw the ball too every time and march down the field agaisnt anyone it seems. Their defense is pretty f'n good, too. However, I would probably give ours an edge. But then again, we don't have anyone that can cover Gronk.

Better at running the ball right now? Have you been watching C.J. Anderson? And, Denver can take that away.

And, they are good at short and intermediate passing, but Brady isn't that consistent with the long passes.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 06:20 PM
I could care less who it is or isn't. My point is I don't think Fox is a great coach overall. But, I like the guy. He's a good dude.

But you were just taking AWAY from Fox because he couldn't outcoach Belicheck at scheming and being involved with game prep.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 06:22 PM
John Harbaugh. He often has a great game plan against NE.

Coming up with a game plan is great, but that's not necessarily outcoaching.

But, apparently (coming from another thread), if you don't have the ring, you aren't any good. John doesn't have any rings, so he can't be any good.

WTE
12-17-2014, 06:25 PM

But, apparently (coming from another thread), if you don't have the ring, you aren't any good. John doesn't have any rings, so he can't be any good.

Sure it is. I remember the Balt/NE playoff game a couple years ago when Flacco was hurt and only threw the ball 7 times the whole game I think and Baltimore still won. Better game plan. Better coaching.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Sure it is. I remember the Balt/NE playoff game a couple years ago when Flacco was hurt and only threw the ball 7 times the whole game I think and Baltimore still won. Better game plan. Better coaching.

Well, first off I have to admit I was talking Jim and not John. My bad on getting them mixed up.

But either way, is that better coaching, or simply better execution? Sometimes I can have the perfect defense called, at the perfect time, and still get beat on the play. That's not (necessarily) better coaching.

WTE
12-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, first off I have to admit I was talking Jim and not John. My bad on getting them mixed up.

But either way, is that better coaching, or simply better execution? Sometimes I can have the perfect defense called, at the perfect time, and still get beat on the play. That's not (necessarily) better coaching.

Oh man, we can keep spinning it a thousand different ways w/ that argument. The fact is John Harbaugh is a great coach. He gets the most out of his team and they're usually very prepared.

Bronco9798
12-17-2014, 08:20 PM

You just like to mix words. You should get the point and not take it to an extreme level and add to it.

Runamok
12-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Better at running the ball right now? Have you been watching C.J. Anderson? And, Denver can take that away.

And, they are good at short and intermediate passing, but Brady isn't that consistent with the long passes.

To refresh your memory, the Broncos rushed for 43 yards against NE, last game in Foxbro, including a whopping 18 yds by C.J.

7DnBrnc53
12-18-2014, 04:39 AM
To refresh your memory, the Broncos rushed for 43 yards against NE, last game in Foxbro, including a whopping 18 yds by C.J.

They only had 17 attempts. C.J. only had three of those. And, a lot of those were middle runs by Hillman.

WARHORSE
12-18-2014, 06:07 AM

That was with Cornick at RT and we all know that line was horrendous. I think runs off tackile and pitches will do a lot better against the Pats if they play against us the same way.

We left plays on the field that day.

I dont mind losing to a good team so much as having a team thats unprepared for situational football.

FanInAZ
12-18-2014, 06:26 AM
We're on to the Jets.

Its a good thing that the focus of the Broncos' fan base isn't a reflection of the focus of the Broncos themselves. Trust me, our team's focus is on the Bengals, even though many in this fan base is not.

EastCoastBronco
12-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Its a good thing that the focus of the Broncos' fan base isn't a reflection of the focus of the Broncos themselves. Trust me, our team's focus is on the Bengals, even though many in this fan base is not.

Not sure about anyone else on here but I know I don't get a cheque in the mail from the Broncos organization for being a fan.
Therefore, my focus is not directly tied to the next game on the schedule.
I leave that to the guys who actually get paid...;-)

BroncoWave
12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

What does it matter what the fan base is focused on? Of course the team is focused on the Bengals. Not really sure what point you were trying to convey here.

Nomad
12-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Bengals game is another playoff caliber game, and there is no excuse for the BRONCOS not to win. With that said, it would be very disappointing if there isn't a rematch with the Patriots.

tripp
12-18-2014, 12:23 PM
The Patriots don't get free admission to the AFCCG, they have to play a team in the playoffs first. I'd rather speculate whether they'll win that game before I worry about the possibility of us playing them in the AFCCG.

My point is, I think this thread is a little premature as there is 2 games of football (possibly 3) left till we even get to the AFCCG, a lot can change over that course of time.

underrated29
12-18-2014, 12:47 PM
The Patriots don't get free admission to the AFCCG, they have to play a team in the playoffs first. I'd rather speculate whether they'll win that game before I worry about the possibility of us playing them in the AFCCG.

My point is, I think this thread is a little premature as there is 2 games of football (possibly 3) left till we even get to the AFCCG, a lot can change over that course of time.

I really hope youre right

Ravage!!!
12-18-2014, 12:54 PM
You just like to mix words. You should get the point and not take it to an extreme level and add to it.

You should start learning to make a point that doesn't have so many holes in your thoughts, and then people wouldn't question your reasoning so often.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Oh man, we can keep spinning it a thousand different ways w/ that argument. The fact is John Harbaugh is a great coach. He gets the most out of his team and they're usually very prepared.

Yeah.. I never argued Harbaugh's skills as a coach, and I wasn't the one that brought him into the discussion. So I'll just say "ok" since it wasn't a discussion in this thread, anyway.

PatriotsGuy
12-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Neither do the Broncos, and both teams have 2 regular season games to play before we worry about any playoffs.

BroncoJoe
12-18-2014, 01:37 PM
It's going to be fun watching to see how this all plays out!

Oh, and Patriots suck.

FanInAZ
12-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Not sure about anyone else on here but I know I don't get a cheque in the mail from the Broncos organization for being a fan.
Therefore, my focus is not directly tied to the next game on the schedule.
I leave that to the guys who actually get paid...;-)

What does it matter what the fan base is focused on? Of course the team is focused on the Bengals. Not really sure what point you were trying to convey here.

My statement was directed towards Pats trolls (including PAG), not our fan base.

PatriotsGuy
12-18-2014, 03:15 PM
My statement was directed towards Pats trolls (including PAG), not our fan base.

Whoa, I'm a troll now? Cool!

WTE
12-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Whoa, I'm a troll now? Cool!

Welcome to the club! I have a pretty neat hat for you to wear.

Cugel
12-18-2014, 04:06 PM
I'd have no problem saying Denver has less than a 5% chance of winning that game.

Beating the Pats this year in their house in the cold the way they are playing, with Manning looking like age is finally catching up with him and giving up what we do in coaching--it's basically an insurmountable task.

I'd say 40% if Denver were playing at home in good weather.

Jesus, this forum is full of Chicken Littles!

As for the Broncos having "no chance" what kind of insanity is that? Did the Ravens have "no chance" in the playoffs in Denver? Then when the Ravens beat the Broncos on that fluke play, everybody said the Patriots would crush them in Foxboro. Not exactly. :coffee:

Right now the Broncos are playing more sound football than at any time in the Manning era.

The defense just limited Phillip Rivers & the Chargers offense to 10 points. They got 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter. Right now the Denver secondary is playing great (which Aquib Talib points out starts up front with Pot Roast being unmovable in the middle of the D-line, so teams can't run the ball on Denver's defense very well, making them one-dimensional).

The offensive line, which I've been complaining about for the last 3 seasons has officially gone from being the team weakness to a team strength. Instead of watching Clark and Franklin get beat like a Gong at the T positions, Vasquez is playing great at RT and Manny Ramirez is doing fine at G. They are firing out and punishing defensive lines. Franklin seems to be as effective at LG as he was supposed to be in the off-season.

For the first time in years they can run the ball effectively on anybody.

And they still have Peyton Manning, D.T., Julius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders.

Beating New England in New England will be tough, but this team can beat anybody playing fundamentally sound football, shutting down the run and running the ball effectively to set up the pass. That's been how you win the playoffs since always.

We've seen Denver lose in the playoffs the last 2 seasons due to being SOFT! A finesse team that didn't know how to smash an opponent in the mouth and play physical football come January. Well, that team officially died in St. Louis. Remember worrying "what if the weather is cold and windy, can Peyton throw? If not how can the Broncos win?" Well, no more anxiously scanning the weather reports! If it's 18 degrees below zero and a howling gale, the Broncos probably have an advantage.

The new Broncos aren't trying to throw for 450 yards to beat anybody and they can win even if Peyton isn't having a great day. That's how Elway and the Broncos won the SB and it can work here too.

Some fans need to stop crying in despair into their handkerchiefs before the damn playoffs even start!

BroncoNut
12-18-2014, 04:17 PM
LMAO at ManRam for Manny Ramirez, other than that this thread sucks

BroncoNut
12-18-2014, 04:19 PM
just kidding, good thread, good considerations, I guess I don't break it down that much. let's just hope that manning can play in cold weather this time; with all else being the same. let's hope everyone's healthy by that time too

Cugel
12-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Running the ball is mostly about ATTITUDE and adjustments. The attitude comes from putting the offensive line in a position to fire out and hit people. The adjustments come from putting the right pieces together on the O-line in order.

This is a completely different Denver team than the one that lined up in Foxborough Stadium in November. Think that an attitude adjustment can't make a difference? Tell that to the 2012-2013 Super Bowl Champion Patriots. Oh, wait! They didn't even get to the SB, because they got crushed by a Ravens team that lost 4 out of their last 5 games heading into the playoffs.

But, they had a talk with Ray Lewis and had a little attitude adjustment before the playoffs. Result 28-13 Ravens in the AFC Championship Game!

Jacoby Jones said after the playoff win over Denver that he knew when he lined up for that deep pass over Rahim Moore that he was going to score a TD, because of the way Moore was lined up. He just knew it. That's playing with attitude. Can the Broncos do that? HELL yes they can!

Will they? We'll see. But, I wouldn't pencil the Patriots into the Super Bowl just yet.

Runamok
12-18-2014, 05:06 PM

As for the Broncos having "no chance" what kind of insanity is that? Did the Ravens have "no chance" in the playoffs in Denver? Then when the Ravens beat the Broncos on that fluke play, everybody said the Patriots would crush them in Foxboro. Not exactly. :coffee:

Right now the Broncos are playing more sound football than at any time in the Manning era.

The defense just limited Phillip Rivers & the Chargers offense to 10 points. They got 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter. Right now the Denver secondary is playing great (which Aquib Talib points out starts up front with Pot Roast being unmovable in the middle of the D-line, so teams can't run the ball on Denver's defense very well, making them one-dimensional).

The offensive line, which I've been complaining about for the last 3 seasons has officially gone from being the team weakness to a team strength. Instead of watching Clark and Franklin get beat like a Gong at the T positions, Vasquez is playing great at RT and Manny Ramirez is doing fine at G. They are firing out and punishing defensive lines. Franklin seems to be as effective at LG as he was supposed to be in the off-season.

Beating New England in New England will be tough, but this team can beat anybody playing fundamentally sound football, shutting down the run and running the ball effectively to set up the pass. That's been how you win the playoffs since always.

We've seen Denver lose in the playoffs the last 2 seasons due to being SOFT! A finesse team that didn't know how to smash an opponent in the mouth and play physical football come January. Well, that team officially died in St. Louis. Remember worrying "what if the weather is cold and windy, can Peyton throw? If not how can the Broncos win?" Well, no more anxiously scanning the weather reports! If it's 18 degrees below zero and a howling gale, the Broncos probably have an advantage.

The new Broncos aren't trying to throw for 450 yards to beat anybody and they can win even if Peyton isn't having a great day. That's how Elway and the Broncos won the SB and it can work here too.

Some fans need to stop crying in despair into their handkerchiefs before the damn playoffs even start!

BEST POST OF THE MONTH!

But then again, look what I'm comparing it to. Lot of defeatism being put on display, here in this thread.

Of course Denver can win in NE if they just outplay the Pats. Crazier things happen every week in this League.

Besides, who says they are going to meet up again in Foxbro? Keep the faith, baby.

WARHORSE
12-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Yeah, it looks like Elways direction to run the ball more in order to spread the responsibility around is paying off in spades. If we lose a game now because a corner didnt cover well, or a safety missed a tackle, then the pressure to perform is on the D. In the past, this just hasnt been there with Peyton putting up 24 points in some instances to start a game. This team does have the personel to beat the Patriots..............but I still dont like alot of the coaching decisions I see being made on game day and thats what gives me no confidence.

Our pass rush needs to be hot in the next game against the Pats should we make it there, and the coverage downfield needs to be tight.

I think we'll do better. Would LOVE to play them at home vs on the road though. If we gotta go through New England in order to play in the AFC Championship, then I'll be nothin but smiles.

CrazyHorse
12-19-2014, 11:12 AM
I don't think there will be a rematch. I think the Steelers or Ravens beat the Patriots at home doing us a huge favor.

tripp
12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Neither do the Broncos, and both teams have 2 regular season games to play before we worry about any playoffs.

Said that right there chief.

tripp
12-19-2014, 11:41 AM

I don't think there will be a rematch. I think the Steelers or Ravens beat the Patriots at home doing us a huge favor.

I could honestly see it happen. With that being said, I don't know how far we'll go in the playoffs. I just have a hunch the Pats don't make it to the SB.

underrated29
12-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I could honestly see it happen. With that being said, I don't know how far we'll go in the playoffs. I just have a hunch the Pats don't make it to the SB.

The pats are the ONLY team with a defense good enough to keep us from getting to the suoerbowl. Pitts has a great offense but their defense sucks! Balt has an ok offense and a terrible terrible secondary. We would Torch both teams should we play either after they knock off the pats.

jhildebrand
12-20-2014, 12:22 AM
The Broncos can and will beat the Pats in New England on the way to the Super Bowl.