PDA

View Full Version : Broncos can become first team with streak of three 13-win seasons

Denver Native (Carol)
12-16-2014, 02:38 PM
All those great teams since the NFL expanded to a 16-game season in 1978. The San Francisco 49ers of the 1980s. The Dallas Cowboys of the early 1990s. The Broncos of the late 1990s. The Greatest Show on Turf Rams. Bill Belichick’s New England Patriots of the past 14 seasons.

None of them ever won as many as 13 games three seasons in a row. The 2012-14 Broncos led by Peyton Manning have a chance to make history. The Broncos were 13-3 in 2012 and 13-3 in 2013. They are 11-3 now.

Win their last two games at Cincinnati on Monday night, and home against the Oakland Raiders on Dec. 28 and the Broncos will accomplish the 13-3 trifecta.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/12/16/broncos-can-become-first-team-streak-three-13-win-seasons/31574/

weazel
12-16-2014, 02:40 PM
do they get trophies for that?

Ravage!!!
12-16-2014, 03:44 PM

Kind-of.

weazel
12-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Kind-of.

great, they can put it where the Lombardi's were supposed to go!

BroncoWave
12-16-2014, 04:13 PM
It would really sting to set that record but no titles to show for it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-16-2014, 04:16 PM

yes

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f20/aaikin/392330427.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/aaikin/media/392330427.jpg.html)

BroncoJoe
12-16-2014, 04:16 PM
We could all only hope to be as successful in our jobs as the Broncos have been.

I laugh at most people that criticize the success of this franchise.

weazel
12-16-2014, 04:19 PM
We could all only hope to be as successful in our jobs as the Broncos have been.

here's your reward Joe

http://jmichelmetz.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/a-mmscr-p-l.jpg

BroncoJoe
12-16-2014, 04:29 PM
I am damn proud to be a Broncos fan. And I'm sure as hell not going to heavily criticize someone's job when there's no way in hell I could do it. Especially when their success exceeds nearly every other team.

Northman
12-16-2014, 04:33 PM
great, they can put it where the Lombardi's were supposed to go!

Lmao

weazel
12-16-2014, 04:33 PM
I am damn proud to be a Broncos fan. And I'm sure as hell not going to heavily criticize someone's job when there's no way in hell I could do it. Especially when their success exceeds nearly every other team.

so because I couldnt play for the Broncos Im not allowed to criticize anything they do? What?

So how loud were you cheering and waving your pom poms when they were losing the Superbowl 43-8? Way to go team, you tried! YAY!

Northman
12-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Its a nice accomplishment but i really just want another championship. I really dont care about Manning's personal stats or how many wins we have. We could be 9-7 and go on to win the SB and i would be happy. I guess im just like Bowlen, its just been far too long since we've won one.

BroncoJoe
12-16-2014, 04:36 PM
so because I couldnt play for the Broncos Im not allowed to criticize anything they do? What?

So how loud were you cheering and waving your pom poms when they were losing the Superbowl 43-8? Way to go team, you tried! YAY!

Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

I'm hoping someone follows you around in your job and criticizes you for not being the best in your company.

weazel
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

I'm hoping someone follows you around in your job and criticizes you for not being the best in your company.

if I fail at something that I should have accomplished you can guarantee my boss lets me know. By the way, two seperate things. Professional sports isn't a normal job, thats why there are 30,000 people watching it and cheering or JEERING

BroncoJoe
12-16-2014, 04:42 PM
if I fail at something that I should have accomplished you can guarantee my boss lets me know. By the way, two seperate things. Professional sports isn't a normal job, thats why there are 30,000 people watching it and cheering or JEERING

separate

Runamok
12-16-2014, 04:45 PM

No, but that doesn't diminish the accomplishment.

Valar Morghulis
12-16-2014, 04:46 PM
I am with you Uncle Joe - but it will pain me if i look back on this era as the best team to never win it all.

Runamok
12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
here's your reward Joe

http://jmichelmetz.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/a-mmscr-p-l.jpg

Nobody's saying the Lombardi isn't the end-all, be-all, but 13-3 is tough enough ONCE.

Three consecutive seasons, I doff my cap.

Sorry, but anyone who can't see that, can't be much of a football fan.

VonDoom
12-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Seriously, would you rather be 7-9 or 8-8 every year? It's hard to win games in the NFL and we have had the luxury of winning a lot of them over the last three years.

Runamok
Lmao

OK, sure, it was a funny quip.

But can you imagine having to go through life with that attitude?

weazel
separate

valid argument.

I think some of you are taking my posts a little too serious.

CoachChaz
12-16-2014, 04:55 PM
If my team at work generates the most revenue over a 3 year period, but never has the most revenue in a single year...I dont get recognized like the "winners" do. I know that first hand.

Runamok
12-16-2014, 04:55 PM

OK. This point goes to Weazel.

BroncoJoe
12-16-2014, 04:57 PM
If my team at work generates the most revenue over a 3 year period, but never has the most revenue in a single year...I dont get recognized like the "winners" do. I know that first hand.

I can relate as well, but I'm still damn proud of the accomplishment. In the end, that's all that really matters.

Mike
12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
John Elway has done a hell of a job turning the club around. Will be interesting to see what he does when Manning retires.

CoachChaz
12-16-2014, 04:59 PM
I can relate as well, but I'm still damn proud of the accomplishment. In the end, that's all that really matters.

I agree...much like I'm proud that my team at work has accomplished what they have. But I'd really like them (and me) to get the recognition of being the best.

Same goes for my football team

Northman
12-16-2014, 05:01 PM
OK, sure, it was a funny quip.

But can you imagine having to go through life with that attitude?

Honestly, i doubt that Weasel loses much sleep on it.

Valar Morghulis
12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
I would hate to be mentioned in the same breath as the 98 vikings or the 18-0 pats

but i am proud as hell of this team and what they have achieved in a short space of time - will hopefully be prouder in Feb

BroncoJoe
12-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I agree...much like I'm proud that my team at work has accomplished what they have. But I'd really like them (and me) to get the recognition of being the best.

Same goes for my football team

I can relate.

weazel
12-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Honestly, i doubt that Weasel loses much sleep on it.

LMAO only thing that keeps me up at night is the fear of spiders!

Ravage!!!
12-16-2014, 05:09 PM
if I fail at something that I should have accomplished

Thats an interesting way to put winning the Super Bowl.... should have.

weazel
12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Thats an interesting way to put winning the Super Bowl.... should have.

If you say you expected Seattle to win that game you aren't being truthful. One team prepared for the game and one showed up thinking they had already won it. I dont mind a team losing but they didnt even look prepared. That being said, I couldn't care less... I was making a joke. If anyone wants to get their panties in a wad over it thats fine, but Im done arguing over a one liner.

Ravage!!!
12-16-2014, 05:23 PM
If you say you expected Seattle to win that game you aren't being truthful. One team prepared for the game and one showed up thinking they had already won it. I dont mind a team losing but they didnt even look prepared. That being said, I couldn't care less... I was making a joke. If anyone wants to get their panties in a wad over it thats fine, but Im done arguing over a one liner.

I don't think anyone walked in "Thinking they had won it" by any means. I think that's a pretty pessimistic way of looking at the game, and find it to be ludicrous.

Either way, I still think the "should have" is a very interesting way to look at any franchise winning a sports championship.

weazel
12-16-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't think anyone walked in "Thinking they had won it" by any means. I think that's a pretty pessimistic way of looking at the game, and find it to be ludicrous.

Either way, I still think the "should have" is a very interesting way to look at any franchise winning a sports championship.

Thinking my favorite team will win the game is pessimistic? Gotcha.

I guess I shouldn't have had so much confidence in that team... but that is why I now have the same thinking as you, this team will most likely not win a championship.

Ravage!!!
12-16-2014, 05:32 PM
I guess I shouldn't have had so much confidence in that team... but that is why I now have the same thinking as you, this team will most likey not win a championship.

Yeah. I watched the Super Bowl last year with expectations of a loss, but with a better showing. Things just started rolling down hill, and picked up some bad momentum.

This year...I just don't feel that same kind of confidence in our team for the playoffs. That being said, I'm much happier being a team that has "hopes" of the Super Bowl than one that has "hopes" just to make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, or hopes to finally have a winning record. Back-to-back Super Bowls are difficult.

That being said.. I didn't have confidence in the Broncos getting to the SUper Bolw in 87 or 89, either.

weazel
12-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Yeah. I watched the Super Bowl last year with expectations of a loss, but with a better showing. Things just started rolling down hill, and picked up some bad momentum.

This year...I just don't feel that same kind of confidence in our team for the playoffs. That being said, I'm much happier being a team that has "hopes" of the Super Bowl than one that has "hopes" just to make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, or hopes to finally have a winning record. Back-to-back Super Bowls are difficult.

That being said.. I didn't have confidence in the Broncos getting to the SUper Bolw in 87 or 89, either.

I was too young for the DAL game
I thought we would lose to NYG
I thought we would beat WAS
I thought we would lose to SF
I thought we would beat GB
I thought we would destroy ATL
I thought we would beat SEA but it would be close

I dont think this team wins this season.

DenBronx
12-16-2014, 07:00 PM
We have the most losses in Superbowl history. Not an award I'm really glad to have.

Northman
12-16-2014, 07:44 PM

Well, dont tell Pot Roast that. He is currently making guarantees. lol

Northman
12-16-2014, 07:46 PM
We have the most losses in Superbowl history. Not an award I'm really glad to have.

On the flipside at least we got there but i get what your saying. It would of been nice to at least be competitive in a lot of those games.

DenBronx
12-16-2014, 08:03 PM

On the flipside at least we got there but i get what your saying. It would of been nice to at least be competitive in a lot of those games.

To at least won 1 of those would of been nice. :(

CrazyHorse
12-17-2014, 04:02 AM
3rd times the charm right?

MOtorboat
12-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Best franchise of the last 35 years.

TXBRONC
12-17-2014, 08:06 AM
I think it's amazing how well this team has done considering how poorly coached they been over the last three years. #sarcasm

BroncoWave
12-17-2014, 08:09 AM
Best franchise of the last 35 years.

The 49ers might have a pretty good claim to that as well.

Nomad
12-17-2014, 08:45 AM
While the BRONCOS have accomplished success, 13-3 is a curse.

NightTrainLayne
12-17-2014, 12:08 PM

I was only 5 for the Dallas SuperBowl, but as a kid, thought we'd win.

I thought we could beat the Giants.

I was sure we were going to beat the Redskins when we went up 10-0. Ugh.

I didn't really think we could beat the 49er's.

I was sure we'd lose to Green Bay. I remember saying something to the effect that "it's almost unfair that when we make it back to the SB, it's against one of the best teams of all time." I think people forget how good that Green Bay team was. Had they come away with that Super Bowl win, they would be listed as such. One of the best ever. We surprise them, and then win back-to-back, and you hardly ever hear us mentioned.

I was sure we'd beat Atlanta.

I thought we'd lose to Seattle. The pre-season game last year showed me that Seattle was far superior on both the offensive and defensive lines. We had some great play-makers, but I knew we were going to get dominated on the lines, and when that happens, you are not going to win.

Cugel
12-18-2014, 04:47 PM

You mean there aren't 30,000 people watching and cheering as you stack drywall at the Office Depot? :eek:

weazel
12-18-2014, 05:05 PM
You mean there aren't 30,000 people watching and cheering as you stack drywall at the Office Depot? :eek:

ya thats why I have so much time to peruse the forum all day... BTW, they sell drywall at OFFICE depot now?

FanInAZ
12-18-2014, 05:17 PM

I was 8 when we played Dal

We barely lost to NYG on the road during that regular season, so I'd every reason to be confident that we could win SB XXI

We beat WAS on a last regular season on a last second FG, so I figured that there was no reason to doubt we could do it again in SB XXII

Before we played the 49ers, their former HC, Bill Walsh was asked, "So how do you beat the Broncos." His response, "I don't know, I've never done it before. This was a fact I already knew, so there was no reason for me to doubt we could do it again in SB XXIV.

I proclaimed my confidence about how I truly believe we'd beat the Packers in SB XXXII, but I kept my doubts based on our past SB performance secret from everybody.

On the morning before we played the Falcons, I told a friend of mine that we won SB XXXIII the day they hired Dan Reeves as their HC. The Achilles heal of every Dan Reeves team, no OL.

After watching them in the NFC championship game, I'd no doubt that we'd beat the Seahawks last year.

Ravage!!!
12-18-2014, 06:03 PM
I was 8 when we played Dal

We barely lost to NYG on the road during that regular season, so I'd every reason to be confident that we could win SB XXI

We beat WAS on a last regular season on a last second FG, so I figured that there was no reason to doubt we could do it again in SB XXII

Before we played the 49ers, their former HC, Bill Walsh was asked, "So how do you beat the Broncos." His response, "I don't know, I've never done it before. This was a fact I already knew, so there was no reason for me to doubt we could do it again in SB XXIV.

I proclaimed my confidence about how I truly believe we'd beat the Packers in SB XXXII, but I kept my doubts based on our past SB performance secret from everybody.

On the morning before we played the Falcons, I told a friend of mine that we won SB XXXIII the day they hired Dan Reeves as their HC. The Achilles heal of every Dan Reeves team, no OL.

After watching them in the NFC championship game, I'd no doubt that we'd beat the Seahawks last year.

Sooooo... basically what you are saying is... that you always feel the Broncos are going to win.

FanInAZ
12-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Sooooo... basically what you are saying is... that you always feel the Broncos are going to win.

How can you not believe when your QB is Elway or Manning.

Ravage!!!
12-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Fair enough.

GEM
12-19-2014, 11:12 AM

We are a spoiled bunch. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be a Browns fan.

GEM
12-19-2014, 11:13 AM
I am with you Uncle Joe - but it will pain me if i look back on this era as the best team to never win it all.

That would be the Bills.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-19-2014, 11:14 AM

It's all a matter of perspective Henry. How many teams have more conference championships than us?

GEM
12-19-2014, 11:15 AM
LMAO only thing that keeps me up at night is the fear of spiders!

Do you know how many you eat in your sleep in a lifetime? Eww!

Northman
12-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Eh, with Elway i always believed. Ive never gotten the same feeling from Manning whether he was in Indy or here.

capt. Jack
12-19-2014, 12:24 PM
It means nothing really, without out a Super Bowl victory, The Buffalo Bills went to 4 straight Super Bowls and lost! Were they great?
I love all the winning, but we need to seal the deal!

Ravage!!!
12-19-2014, 12:25 PM
It means nothing really, without out a Super Bowl victory, The Buffalo Bills went to 4 straight Super Bowls and lost! Were they great?
I love all the winning, but we need to seal the deal!

Yes.. they were great. One of the best teams in NFL history and accomplished a task that no other team has..... gone to 4 straight Super Bowls. That's dominance of a conference that hasn't been matched.

capt. Jack
12-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Yes.. they were great. One of the best teams in NFL history and accomplished a task that no other team has..... gone to 4 straight Super Bowls. That's dominance of a conference that hasn't been matched.

They were great, but they were also Losers!
:)

capt. Jack
12-19-2014, 12:40 PM
We could be nicknamed "The Buffalo Broncos" if we blow it again this year.

If we can't get home field , I would rather go 12-4.

Ravage!!!
12-19-2014, 01:14 PM
They were great, but they were also Losers!

YOu can call them that if you want, I don't consider them "losers" for going to 4 straight Super Bowls.

I also don't think we could be called the Buffalo Broncos if we don't make it to the Super Bowl this year. Many teams have made it to 3 straight Conference Championships and not even gone to a Super Bowl. Great teams have lost Super Bowls. It's not the "end all" of discussions on how good a team is. That's like determining how good/great a QB is/was by the number of rings on his fingers. Its a pretty short-sighted viewpoint, imo.

WARHORSE
12-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Peyton seems to bring 13-3 wherever he goes.

capt. Jack
12-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I see your point and all, But You gotta have that killer instinct, you gotta take advantage of the situation, you gotta close the deal!

Northman
12-19-2014, 02:04 PM
What the Bills did was quite amazing in itself but at the end of the day they are still losers. They didnt finish the job and in some of those games they got destroyed. Im pretty sure if you asked Jim Kelly today he would tell you he would give up a couple of those SB appearances just to have one ring. At the end of the day there is only one champion no matter how many times you get there.

Ravage!!!
12-19-2014, 02:09 PM
What the Bills did was quite amazing in itself but at the end of the day they are still losers. They didnt finish the job and in some of those games they got destroyed. Im pretty sure if you asked Jim Kelly today he would tell you he would give up a couple of those SB appearances just to have one ring. At the end of the day there is only one champion no matter how many times you get there.

The goal is to win, of course. I'm sure Jim would gladly trade 3 trips for one win....ESPECIALLY since everyone always judges based on the rings. If we gave as much appreciation for the fact that those guys completely dominated a conference and went to the Super Bowl FOUR friggin times in a row, then maybe it wouldn't be as big of a deal. It's always the goal to take home the championship, and NO ONE isn't trying out on the field to take it home. I just refuse to call them "losers" when that franchise is one of the greatest of all time.

Ravage!!!
12-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I see your point and all, But You gotta have that killer instinct, you gotta take advantage of the situation, you gotta close the deal!

Everyone on the field says the same thing. Both teams are just as hungry as the other. Both teams get paid to win, "killer instinct" and all.

TXBRONC
12-19-2014, 02:58 PM
ya thats why I have so much time to peruse the forum all day... BTW, they sell drywall at OFFICE depot now?

It must be a regional thing because the Office Depots in Odessa and Midland don't sell drywall they do however carry most of the ingredients for paper-mache.

capt. Jack
12-19-2014, 08:02 PM
I have enjoyed all the winning the last three years, but it would be a bummer if we couldn't win a Super Bowl in "The Manning era"?

Ravage!!!
12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
I have enjoyed all the winning the last three years, but it would be a bummer if we couldn't win a Super Bowl in "The Manning era"?

Fo' Sho' ..Fo' Sho'

weazel
12-22-2014, 11:43 AM
It must be a regional thing because the Office Depots in Odessa and Midland don't sell drywall they do however carry most of the ingredients for paper-mache.

yeah cugel must live in tornado alley, they have to sell drywall everywhere.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 01:29 PM
I thought it was a joke. I'm a restoration contractor and I've never heard of anyone buying drywall at Office Depot.

Ravage!!!
12-22-2014, 01:33 PM
I just assumed he meant Home Depot.....

So what was this thread about again?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-22-2014, 01:49 PM
I just assumed he meant Home Depot.....

So what was this thread about again?

Clearly it was about the merits of stocking drywall next to copy paper. Get with the program dude.

7DnBrnc53
12-22-2014, 02:04 PM
YOu can call them that if you want, I don't consider them "losers" for going to 4 straight Super Bowls.

I also don't think we could be called the Buffalo Broncos if we don't make it to the Super Bowl this year. Many teams have made it to 3 straight Conference Championships and not even gone to a Super Bowl. Great teams have lost Super Bowls. It's not the "end all" of discussions on how good a team is. That's like determining how good/great a QB is/was by the number of rings on his fingers. Its a pretty short-sighted viewpoint, imo.

It would suck. We have a better team than the 90-93 Bills, who only got to four straight SB's because they were extremely lucky, and because the AFC was as useless as the other AFC East teams are today outside of Foxboro.

The Broncos can get it done this year. They have to step it up, though. They can beat NE and Seattle.