PDA

View Full Version : Trevathan done for year, Marshall hopefully 1-2 weeks

VonDoom
12-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Per Twitter:

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 6m6 minutes ago

Sources tell me Brandon Marshall suffered a sprain of the lis franc joint. Those things are tricky. They're hoping a week or two. #broncos

Troy Renck retweeted
Denver Post Broncos ‏@PostBroncos 6m6 minutes ago

BREAKING: Broncos' Danny Trevathan (knee) is done for the season; Brandon Marshall (foot) out 1-2 weeks http://dpo.st/1uJGZxI by @MikeKlis

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Losing Trevathan stinks. But he's been gone most of year. #Broncos need Marshall back. If needs to miss next 2 games, so be it. #Broncos

Edit: from the DP article referenced above:

The Broncos have lost linebacker Danny Trevathan for the season after he suffered another left knee injury Sunday during Denver's 22-10 win at San Diego.

Trevathan had suffered two separate fractures in the left knee area that forced him to miss 11 of the Broncos' first 13 games. He reinjured the knee in the second half of Sunday's game. Multiple NFL sources said Trevathan's latest left knee injury was serious enough so that he is finished for the season.

Meanwhile, Brandon Marshall, the Broncos' leading tackler this season, suffered a right midfoot sprain in the second quarter against the Chargers. Marshall said he would be out a week or two.

"It's been the year of the linebacker injury," Marshall said Monday.

Earlier this season, the Broncos lost starting middle linebacker Nate Irving to a season-ending knee injury.

With Marshall and Trevathan now down, the Broncos are expected to turn to rookies Lamin Barrow, Todd Davis and Corey Nelson.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27140875/danny-trevathan-done-for-season-brandon-marshall-out-weeks

pnbronco
12-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Poor Danny....this is so awful for him. I hope things work out a lot better for B. Marsh.....this really sucks.

Buff
12-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Easy to second guess when it's not your knee - but why did we bring Trevathan back prematurely twice this season?

Between him re-injuring himself twice, and Tamme fumbling because he wasn't ready to be on the field last week, Greek and Co. aren't having a very good couple of weeks.

VonDoom
12-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Easy to second guess when it's not your knee - but why did we bring Trevathan back prematurely twice this season?

Between him re-injuring himself twice, and Tamme fumbling because he wasn't ready to be on the field last week, Greek and Co. aren't having a very good couple of weeks.

I don't see yesterday as "too early" to bring back Trevathan. He had been working his way back for weeks, and if he hadn't been on short term IR, I think he probably would have played a week or two ago. That might have been too soon, but I didn't see it that way for yesterday's game.

Unless it was misdiagnosed and/or mistreated, which is possible. I'm no medical expert, but I think Greek might need to hang it up soon.

Buff
12-15-2014, 03:31 PM
I don't see yesterday as "too early" to bring back Trevathan. He had been working his way back for weeks, and if he hadn't been on short term IR, I think he probably would have played a week or two ago. That might have been too soon, but I didn't see it that way for yesterday's game.

Unless it was misdiagnosed and/or mistreated, which is possible. I'm no medical expert, but I think Greek might need to hang it up soon.

I don't really see how it's disputable at this point. Three left knee injuries later, it's safe to say the knee wasn't strong enough yesterday.

tomjonesrocks
12-15-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't really see how it's disputable at this point. Three left knee injuries later, it's safe to say the knee wasn't strong enough yesterday.

They laughably mismanaged Ball as well...

Buff
12-15-2014, 03:48 PM
They laughably mismanaged Ball as well...

Good point; three guys who never should have been allowed to play. I guess I give them the benefit of the doubt on Tamme since we were so thin at TE. No excuse with the other two.

Magnificent Seven
12-15-2014, 04:08 PM
It looks like Broncos might release injuired LB Danny Trevathan after this season. I am not sure he might re-injury his knee in season 2015. Trade Montee Ball for solid LB to replace Danny Trevathan. Montee Ball and Brock Osweiler need to go. They both didn't impress us.

BroncoJoe
12-15-2014, 04:33 PM
How did Osweiler get brought up?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-15-2014, 04:35 PM
According to the DP article, Danny's other two knee injuries were two separate fractures in the left knee area. His injury yesterday is a dislocated left kneecap, which will require surgery. Does anyone know if the two separate fractures could have led to the dislocated kneecap, or would that be two separate issues?

weazel
12-15-2014, 04:37 PM
time to put Trevathan down or send him to a stud farm

Northman
12-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Lmao.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-15-2014, 05:07 PM
It looks like Broncos might release injuired LB Danny Trevathan after this season. I am not sure he might re-injury his knee in season 2015. Trade Montee Ball for solid LB to replace Danny Trevathan. Montee Ball and Brock Osweiler need to go. They both didn't impress us.

Why would they release him at the end of the season? He's on a rookie deal that probably pays him the league minimum. I don't see what advantage we gain from cutting him now. Why not let him compete for a spot in camp and see how does? If we cut him in the preseason next year what's the cap hit, $500k? That's a lot better than watching him go play for somebody else at a high level.

Now that I've had more time to review, I choose option D: none of the above. :laugh:

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Danny just can't catch a break.

This is troubling as well; that knee seems to be permanently weakened. I hate to rush to a judgement but right now, it's looking like something that is going to perpetually plague him - and in all likelihood, is going to have a permanent effect on what was looking like a very promising career. I know everybody is banged up at this point in the year but getting sick and tired of major injuries late in the season... we always seem to be plagued by them more than most teams.

Magnificent Seven
12-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Ha. Osweiler just sucks...

GEM
12-15-2014, 05:40 PM

Where do you get them releasing him after this season??

You aren't going to get the value they paid for Ball and he's their best pass protector. Don't count on him being gone. They aren't getting rid of Oz. Not going to happen, especially with no one behind him that is anywhere near starting.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Ha. Osweiler just sucks...

OZ has not yet played enough in a regular season game for anyone to even have an opinion of him yet.

OB
12-15-2014, 06:20 PM
This makes me sad :(

DenBronx
12-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Marshall has been playing phenomenal in Dannyd absence though. He needs to just rest up until the playoffs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Marshall has been playing phenomenal in Dannyd absence though. He needs to just rest up until the playoffs.

It would be nice to have him against the Bengals. Oh well, at the end of the day I think we'll still win.

Slick
12-15-2014, 08:57 PM
That stinks. Both of these guys turned out to be way better players than I ever thought they would.

DenBronx
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM

It would be nice to have him against the Bengals. Oh well, at the end of the day I think we'll still win.

It would be. :( Next man up I guess. Anyone know who's filling the spot?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-15-2014, 09:03 PM
It would be. :( Next man up I guess. Anyone know who's filling the spot?

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 6h

Expect Steve Johnson and Todd Davis to fill the LB role next week against Cincy.

wayninja
12-15-2014, 09:29 PM
I feel bad for Danny. Kid had an unexpected level of talent. It hard to believe he'll ever come completely back from so many knee issues. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm also willing to bet we don't see him on the field many more times in a Broncos uniform.

MOtorboat
12-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 6h

Expect Steve Johnson and Todd Davis to fill the LB role next week against Cincy.

I'll start banging the drum...can we draft a 4-3 linebacker? First round, if possible, please?

Tebowtime2011
12-15-2014, 10:58 PM
I think Steve Johnson will surprise alot of you guys. I believe in him, he has impressed me with his limited opportunities.

weazel
12-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I think Steve Johnson will surprise alot of you guys. I believe in him, he has impressed me with his limited opportunities.

meh, he's no Tebow

Denver Native (Carol)
12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Two late-round rookie draft picks, a former street free agent and a waiver claim walk into a locker room.

Unfortunately for the Broncos, there's no punch line. They represent the candidates for the vacant weakside linebacker spot. The NFL reminds players weekly that it is no joke, turning the season into athletic Darwinism. Sunday, the Broncos won their fourth consecutive AFC West title. Monday, they lost their top weakside linebackers, leaving them scrambling in preparation for a game at Cincinnati.

Rookies Corey Nelson and Lamin Barrow, plus Todd Davis, will compete for the starting job created by injuries, with Steven Johnson available on certain packages.

"I can't answer exactly what it will look like yet," Broncos coach John Fox said. "Those guys will get an opportunity, and we will see who wins this job."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27143666/broncos-scramble-at-linebacker-after-two-more-injuries

EastCoastBronco
12-16-2014, 12:23 PM

Talib and Harris will feast on Red Rooster.

weazel
12-16-2014, 02:43 PM
can they sign CFL players right now? I think Solomon Elimimian would be a great Will in the NFL... at least for depth

jhildebrand
12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Did Shaq Barrett get picked up? He should be brought back at this point at least for depth. He had been here through camps and ota's. At least he knows the system. They need some bodies back there.

VonDoom
12-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Did Shaq Barrett get picked up? He should be brought back at this point at least for depth. He had been here through camps and ota's. At least he knows the system. They need some bodies back there.

I believe he's still on the PS. Trev hasn't officially been moved to IR yet, but I expect Barrett brought up when that happens

Valar Morghulis
12-16-2014, 04:11 PM
do you think TJ Ward could end up playing Linebacker?

Buff
12-16-2014, 04:15 PM
do you think TJ Ward could end up playing Linebacker?

He's too small to play LB every down.

Valar Morghulis
12-16-2014, 04:21 PM
He's too small to play LB every down.

Do we currently have a linebacker that plays every down?

Buff
12-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Do we currently have a linebacker that plays every down?

I guess what I meant by that is that we might use him as a pass coverage/pass rushing LB on 3rd down - but we wouldn't use him as a LB on 1st and 2nd down because his size would make him vulnerable to the run.

The rest of our LBs are bigger and therefore more apt to be 3 down LBs.

Valar Morghulis
12-16-2014, 04:33 PM
I guess what I meant by that is that we might use him as a pass coverage/pass rushing LB on 3rd down - but we wouldn't use him as a LB on 1st and 2nd down because his size would make him vulnerable to the run.

The rest of our LBs are bigger and therefore more apt to be 3 down LBs.

I was not being arsey - it was a serious question, do we have a genuine every down line backer?

Buff
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
I was not being arsey - it was a serious question, do we have a genuine every down line backer?

Yeah, Trevathan when healthy is a 3 down LB, Von is kind of a 3 down LB because he's on the field a ton (though not in the traditional sense because he assumes different roles), Marshall is a 3 down LB.

Nate Irvin profiles more as a run stopper.

Valar Morghulis
12-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, Trevathan when healthy is a 3 down LB, Von is kind of a 3 down LB because he's on the field a ton (though not in the traditional sense because he assumes different roles), Marshall is a 3 down LB.

Nate Irvin profiles more as a run stopper.

I forgot about Von.

I was unsure about Danny T and Brandon M

Thanks

VonDoom
12-16-2014, 04:55 PM
I forgot about Von.

I was unsure about Danny T and Brandon M

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't think you meant a pass rusher like Von. When healthy, I believe Marshall played the vast majority of snaps.

weazel
12-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Marshall has been a pleasant surprise

VonDoom
12-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Trevathan officially moved to IR, and we waived TE Dominique Jones (presumably he'll be back on our PS). So that means Tamme is likely to play this week, and we'll probably bring up Shaq Barrett for Trev's roster spot. Not sure about the other one, though. Burse again?

NightTerror218
12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
LB is thin and young. Already had MLB issues. I would not mind this being addressed in off season. Trade for Borland? He will be benched or Willis or bowman qwill be let go.

dogfish
12-16-2014, 09:21 PM
hate to say it, but i fear the kid has probably torn up his body with roids. . . i always suspect that when a guy starts breaking down this badly. . . you'd like to think it's just bad luk, but that feels a bit naive to me. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-16-2014, 11:38 PM
hate to say it, but i fear the kid has probably torn up his body with roids. . . i always suspect that when a guy starts breaking down this badly. . . you'd like to think it's just bad luk, but that feels a bit naive to me. . .

I sure hope your wrong, but it would be naive to not be aware it's a possibility.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-17-2014, 12:28 AM
I didn't want to say it but now that you have posted the above, steroid/HGH/HCGF tends to result in soft tissue problems i.e. tendons and ligaments. He has now dislocated that knee cap 2 or 3 times.

Not exactly, two fractures, one dislocation

jhildebrand
12-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Not exactly, two fractures, one dislocation

He dislocated the left knee cap in October (in addition to the fracture) and again on Sunday. The fracture didn't come until re-setting the knee. When I read that back in October my first thought was roids! The hyper mobility of that joint could be an indication of PED's.

jhildebrand
12-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Trevathan got trampled, and his left kneecap dislocated. As the kneecap popped back into place, a bone at the top of the kneecap fractured.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_26721599/broncos-lb-trevathan-miss-several-weeks

weazel
12-17-2014, 10:51 AM
can never have enough LB's

Valar Morghulis
12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
can never have enough LB's

What if you had 52

weazel
12-17-2014, 11:35 AM
then you would have a team with small linemen and bigger secondary. We had a LB as a QB for a while in Tebow so I guess that could work for one playoff game.

Cugel
12-18-2014, 04:55 PM
OZ has not yet played enough in a regular season game for anyone to even have an opinion of him yet.

True. It just LOOKED like he sucks after that pathetic series at the end of the half.

The odds are that when the dust settles he will probably suck. That won't stop some team from giving him a big contract after the 2015 season though, if Manning comes back to complete his contract in 2016 -- which he'd better because Osweiler sucks! :laugh:

jhildebrand
12-20-2014, 12:32 AM
Oz will prove to be the waste of a pick we have made him out to be. He could have been Lavonte David or a lot of other players including muscle hamster if I remember right.

When he rocketed a 5 yard pass I knew that we have seen the best of Brock.

Ravage!!!
12-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Oz will prove to be the waste of a pick we have made him out to be. He could have been Lavonte David or a lot of other players including muscle hamster if I remember right.

When he rocketed a 5 yard pass I knew that we have seen the best of Brock.

That's silly. Elway was known to "rocket" short passes when he first came into the NFL as well, and Brock hasn't been on the field very much at all.. .notto mention hasn't gotten many practice reps with first team, Manning doesn't share.

At the same time, the pick for OZ was a smart move on Elway to have a plan B in case Manning's arm never did regain strength. I don't know why you guys thought it a good idea not to have some kind of plan behind Manning, but Elway didn't think that to be wise. It was Manning or buse, either way...but if Manning couldn't regain strength (and we saw just how weak it was in the beginning of that first season, imagine what it was when Elway had evaluated before draft)... then at least while we were having a "bust" of a season we were developing a young QB instead of purely putting some back-up veteran in there for no reason.

Valar Morghulis
12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
That's silly. Elway was known to "rocket" short passes when he first came into the NFL as well, and Brock hasn't been on the field very much at all.. .notto mention hasn't gotten many practice reps with first team, Manning doesn't share.

At the same time, the pick for OZ was a smart move on Elway to have a plan B in case Manning's arm never did regain strength. I don't know why you guys thought it a good idea not to have some kind of plan behind Manning, but Elway didn't think that to be wise. It was Manning or buse, either way...but if Manning couldn't regain strength (and we saw just how weak it was in the beginning of that first season, imagine what it was when Elway had evaluated before draft)... then at least while we were having a "bust" of a season we were developing a young QB instead of purely putting some back-up veteran in there for no reason.

I agree with all of that - but my gut also tells me Oz is not going to develop into a franchise qb. I hope i am wrong.

That is my gut - it is not based on anything other than the feeling i have from watching his play in garbage time and the pre-season.

Ravage!!!
12-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I agree with all of that - but my gut also tells me Oz is not going to develop into a franchise qb. I hope i am wrong.

That is my gut - it is not based on anything other than the feeling i have from watching his play in garbage time and the pre-season.

yeah... and after my post, I'm agreeing with you 100% as well. Although I totally understand the pick for Oz, and defend the pick for being the right one at the time, I haven't seen anything that makes me think Oz will be any kind of long-term QB for the Broncos. It's hypocritical of me to say "he hasn't gotten many snaps" and then turn around and admit that I've already judged him, but I have.

At the same time, we know that its VERY rare for a QB to make it in the NFL, and none have sat behind Manning and done well (not that it's Manning's fault), so the odds were always HIGHLY against him and its pretty easy to guess any QB won't make it in the NFL...... until they do.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-20-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm not trying to compare Oz to Rodgers, but they are In similar situations - backing up a legend. Rodgers looked terrible in spot duty for Favre before he became the starter and had a losing record his first year as a starter. He turned out alright.

Oz will get an opportunity sooner or later. The handful of plays he's been in for in the regular season are hardly enough to judge him by.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Considering his arm talent, mobility, and reputed work ethic I certainly won't be betting against him.

Jsteve01
12-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Considering his arm talent, mobility, and reputed work ethic I certainly won't be betting against him.

I'm with you on this. Plus having watched him interact wit other players I see some of the dynamic personality traits you want in a leader. The sample size is far too small at this point to make any kind of educated guess.

The physical and mental attributes are good and for that reason I lean toward him having a shot to be good. Let's be honest none Of Pfm's backups have had near the physical talent that Brock does and writing Oz off just because his predecessors sucked isn't very logical