PDA

View Full Version : Broncos place Montee Ball, Quinton Carter on season-ending injured reserve

Denver Native (Carol)
12-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Montee Ball entered this season with hopes of emerging as one of the NFL's elite running backs.

It ended in an injury-riddled disaster. Needing two roster spots to clear room for linebacker Danny Trevathan and tight end Dominique Jones on the 53-man roster, the Broncos placed Ball and safety Quinton Carter on season-ending injured reserved.

Ball, a second-round draft pick in 2013, had such a promising rookie season with 559 yards rushing on 4.7 yards per carry, the Broncos were comfortable allowing Knowshon Moreno to leave through free agency.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27131084/broncos-place-montee-ball-quinton-carter-season-ending-injured-reserve

BroncoWave
12-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Gonna guess we bring back Burse to fill one spot. Probably a RB for the other.

BroncoWave
12-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Nevermind. Just saw we activated Trevathan from IR. Probably will just bring in a RB to fill that other spot with CJ and Hillman still banged up.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Gonna guess we bring back Burse to fill one spot. Probably a RB for the other.

from article just posted:

Needing two roster spots to clear room for linebacker Danny Trevathan and tight end Dominique Jones on the 53-man roster, the Broncos placed Ball and safety Quinton Carter on season-ending injured reserved.

BroncoWave
12-13-2014, 02:39 PM
I need to learn to read. Adding another tight end is interesting. Maybe they have just about had enough of Tamme's poor play?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-13-2014, 02:43 PM
I need to learn to read. Adding another tight end is interesting. Maybe they have just about had enough of Tamme's poor play?

from same article:

Jones, an enormous 6-foot-3, 270-pound former college basketball player, is getting promoted from the practice squad in part because Jacob Tamme is iffy for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers because of bruised ribs, and Julius Thomas is returning with caution after missing the previous three games with an ankle injury.

VonDoom
12-13-2014, 02:49 PM
I don't know Jones at all but we could use TE depth. Not surprised about Ball but I am a bit about Carter. Thought for sure he'd be back next week.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-13-2014, 04:06 PM
6'3", 270 lbs sounds like a bowling ball or a bulldozer. Another prior basketball player means he can probably catch okay, too. Sounds like an H-back to me.

broncofaninfla
12-13-2014, 04:26 PM
With Carter gone, we are thin at depth at safety. Either Bolden slides to a safety spot for depth or there could be more roster moves to address depth at safety.

VonDoom
12-13-2014, 04:40 PM
With Carter gone, we are thin at depth at safety. Either Bolden slides to a safety spot for depth or there could be more roster moves to address depth at safety.

Good point. Bolden might work there. Looks like Bruton will be getting a lot of playing time, so I hope he's up to it like last week.

tomjonesrocks
12-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Wonder if Ball is even on the roster next season.

With Lacy on the board just a miserable, miserable selection.

Support the move though. Dead weight basically from game 1.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-13-2014, 07:50 PM

I think he'll be here next year. He's only a second round draft pick, so it's not like we're paying him 4-5 million dollars a year. He might not be Adrian Peterson, but he is definitely good enough to be in the rotation at running back. We need more than two guys who are good in pass protection and can run between the tackles. I don't really consider Hillman either. Hillman has good burst and vision, but he's not much of a tackle breaker.

BroncoWave
12-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Draft is a crapshoot. No one knows how good any of those guys will really be. I'm not going to call a selection "miserable" just because there was someone better at that position taken later. RB is especially a crapshoot of a position out of all of them. You see as many UDFAs succeed there are first round picks.

For as "miserable" as that pick was you could argue our backfield is just as good as GB's now the way CJ is playing, if not better.

VonDoom
12-13-2014, 08:44 PM

I wouldn't give up on Ball yet. He showed promise last year, so much so that they decided he would be our feature back this year. It didn't work out so far, but I'm not convinced that Ball was entirely to blame for the early season running struggles. The organization has also made it clear that he is the best pass protector of our RB's. He shouldn't get his job back from CJ next year, but there could certainly be a spot for him on the roster. He's on his rookie contract and has played so few games overall that it's hard to really make a determination. People are way too quick to decide that someone is a bust.

tomjonesrocks
12-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't give up on Ball yet. He showed promise last year, so much so that they decided he would be our feature back this year. It didn't work out so far, but I'm not convinced that Ball was entirely to blame for the early season running struggles. The organization has also made it clear that he is the best pass protector of our RB's. He shouldn't get his job back from CJ next year, but there could certainly be a spot for him on the roster. He's on his rookie contract and has played so few games overall that it's hard to really make a determination. People are way too quick to decide that someone is a bust.

He's a stiff.

I prefer "tomato can" but have noticed "stiff" is the more commonly used vernacular here.

Honestly don't care what if anything he gives the team later. Too little too late. Needed him last season. This one at the latest.

Bad pick.

underrated29
12-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Bad pick, Tom?

Seriously?

Last year he ran for 6+ yards or carry. Second high st in the entire NFL only shy of Jamal Charles! This year he did not and was hurt.

So you have two years, 1 good and 1 not and you think it was a miserable pick. How did you feel about DT being on IR his first year? Knowshon? Julius Thomas? Von freaking miller?

As for the TE, guy sounds huge, I would say slow, but theBBall background makes me think he can move pretty well. Which is nice. Very nice, going out on limb that he can block fairly well.

Simple Jaded
12-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Offensive Tackles, pumped-up WR's and former basketball rejects, maybe someday the Broncos will actually get a TE to play TE.

MHCBill
12-14-2014, 10:59 AM
He's a stiff.

I prefer "tomato can" but have noticed "stiff" is the more commonly used vernacular here.

Honestly don't care what if anything he gives the team later. Too little too late. Needed him last season. This one at the latest.

Bad pick.
Datone Jones was the Packers 1st round pick that year.

Miserable selection... Bad pick...

ALL teams have them.

Simple Jaded
12-14-2014, 07:53 PM
David Bruton > Quinton Carter.

Cugel
12-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Bad pick, Tom?
Seriously?
Last year he ran for 6+ yards or carry. Second high st in the entire NFL only shy of Jamal Charles! This year he did not and was hurt.

So you have two years, 1 good and 1 not and you think it was a miserable pick. How did you feel about DT being on IR his first year? Knowshon? Julius Thomas? Von freaking miller?

As for the TE, guy sounds huge, I would say slow, but theBBall background makes me think he can move pretty well. Which is nice. Very nice, going out on limb that he can block fairly well.

Fans are weird sometimes. Guy gets injured and they hate him for not being on the field. "Wasted pick." I was not a fan of the Montee Ball pick, but it wasn't horrible either. After the success with CJ Anderson, I think they will look for more FA and late round RBs in future.

He can and will come back next season and won't be bad then either. Who knows who the Broncos #1 RB will be next season? They don't last long and you can't assume that C.J. is going to be the RB 2 seasons from now. He might not even be on the team.

The team would like Hillman to get healthy at some point this season too in case they need him and it's likely they will, because you can't rely on 2 RBs. One can easily get hurt and then you don't have anyone to spell the first guy up and he gets worn down or injured too.

Next season they hope to have Kapri Bibbs in the mix too.

As for TE every team in the NFL now wants a guy like Antonio Gates. The success of first Gates and then Thomas means more and more teams will look to guys like that. More and more colleges are turning out fast TEs with pass catching skills, so pretty soon every team will have their own "poor man's version of Gronkowski." (Not to be confused with the original).