PDA

View Full Version : Chris Harris Broncos agree on extension

DenBronx
12-12-2014, 06:56 PM
5 years 42.5 mill making him the leagues highest paid #2 CB.

Love it!

Mobile Web - Sports - Chris Harris agrees to 5-year, $42.5M contract extension with Broncos (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1GvOezH

smith49
12-12-2014, 07:02 PM
This makes me happy.

DenBronx
12-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I bet he sticks around way longer than Talib anyway. And really...he is better than Talib.

There I said it.

Timmy!
12-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Cool. Anybody got a cap hit by year breakdown?

BroncoWave
12-12-2014, 07:09 PM
So we just locked up a guy who, by pretty much every objective grading system I can find this year, rates as a top 3 CB in the NFL along with Sherman and Revis, to a 5 year deal for only 8 million per. And this is when the salary cap is about to shoot up again. Talk about a bargain. Awesome, awesome job Elway.

GEM
12-12-2014, 07:13 PM
I am dancing in my seat right now, love that guy!! And at a great price, love Elway even more, if that is even possible!

VonDoom
12-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Love this! Can't wait to see the final numbers. Where are all those people saying we waited too long and we'd lose the chance to sign him at a reasonable price?

HORSEPOWER 56
12-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Freaking awesome!!! :woohoo:

MileHighCrew
12-12-2014, 07:25 PM
great signing

DenBronx
12-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Good deal for both sides.

Slick
12-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Great news!

Tned
12-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Just catching up on my email and read the press releaase about this. Great news. Glad he's locked up.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Forum Runner

tomjonesrocks
12-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Holy crap! Sweet!

Mike
12-12-2014, 07:49 PM
That is a great deal for the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2014, 07:57 PM
The Broncos have reached an agreement in principle with cornerback Chris Harris on a five-year contract extension, according to two NFL sources.

The deal will make Harris the league's highest-paid "No. 2" cornerback while the total value $42.5 million ranks sixth in the league.

It's a crowning achievement of sorts for a defensive back who received a $2,000 signing bonus from the Broncos as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2011.

The new contract that will run through the 2019 season includes a whopping $10 million signing bonus and $24 million in guarantees. It will pay Harris $18 million through his first two seasons — the same two-year amount the Broncos are paying "No. 1" corner Aqib Talib.

The Broncos opened negotiations with Harris last month, and at times it appeared the deal was on life support. Negotiations gained momentum when Broncos general manager John Elway became personally involved by engaging in dialogue with Harris' agent, Fred Lyles.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27126465/chris-harris-agrees-5-year-42-5m-contract

BroncoWave
12-12-2014, 08:30 PM
So basically that article said talks were stalling until Elway jumped in and took control. Is he the best GM in the league or is he the best GM in the league? He just gets shit done.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Huge contract, and every penny of it deserved. Guy has solidified himself as a top 5 CB in the league with his play this season - would have had a host of teams driving up the asking price if we'd allowed him to reach FA. Shrewd move by Elway to get this done now.

I know he's gotten more props from the media outside of Denver the past couple weeks but it's insane how under the radar he's been this season. Revis, Haden and Sherman are talked about ad nausea, meanwhile CH continues to shut down everything coming his way - I can't remember the last time somebody flat out beat him. Don't think it's a stretch to say, for me personally, there isn't anyone else in the league I'd rather have at the moment.

Great news!

LTC Pain
12-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Johnny Weismuller Tarzan Call: http://youtu.be/MwHWbsvgQUE

Edmonton Bronco Fan
12-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I bet he sticks around way longer than Talib anyway. And really...he is better than Talib.

There I said it.

Don't think you'll find too many that'll disagree with either point.

SoCalImport
12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Just heard this awesome news! Great job getting Harris locked up now. With the increasing salary cap for next season we'd definitely have had to pay more to win a bidding war.

Ziggy
12-12-2014, 09:01 PM
I see the comments about him being our #2 corner. That's a flat out myth. Talib's contract is very team friendly. It may end up being a one year deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 2h

RT @nuggetfan4life: @VicLombardi can we tag 80? ---- they would tag 88 before 80.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 2h

RT @CoryJones209: have you forgot about JT? ---- no. But I believe DT and Knighton come first. My opinion. Can't pay everybody.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 3h

Next up for Broncos is DT. Then Knighton. That order.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 3h

Two words that separate @ChrisHarrisJr from most CB's: Film Study. The guy is a film ninja. Studies like no other. Transfers it to the field

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2014, 09:42 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos on Friday signed Chris Harris Jr. to a five-year, $42.5 million extension that will run through the 2019 season.

"We've been talking for over a month, kind of since the New England game," Harris said. "I'm just ecstatic to have it done, really focus on straight football right now. But what a year, my wife and I having a baby, this, coming back from my surgery, I'm glad [the contract] is something that's done now."

AND

"It feels great, but I still have to go out and prove it every day," he said. "I've still got a lot to prove, a lot of things I want to accomplish with this team, being a leader, helping this team accomplish big things."

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12021497/chris-harris-jr-signs-extension-denver-broncos-5-years-425-million

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2014, 09:43 PM
from same Legwold article:

"It's a priority for us to develop and reward our own players as we continue assembling the best possible team. Whether it's on the field or in the community, we are proud to have Chris representing the Broncos for many years to come," Broncos executive vice president/general manager John Elway said in a statement Friday.

Champ Bailey had called the impending financial shot.

On the day last month when Bailey formally announced his retirement from the NFL, he said Harris was "playing better than anybody right now. ... Chris is playing the best of any player at his position in the league."

Then Bailey added, "I hope [the Broncos] pay him like it. I think they will. Knowing John Elway, how he goes about it, I think they will."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12021497/chris-harris-jr-signs-extension-denver-broncos-5-years-425-million

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 1h

Probably an opportune time to point out @ChrisHarrisJr is not currently among top 10 CBs in fan vote for Pro Bowl.#notarealtop10

Denver Native (Carol)
12-12-2014, 09:49 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It seems that everyone around the Broncos has their story about when they first knew that the potential for something special existed in Chris Harris Jr.

From my perspective, I remember the day well: Oct. 23, 2011. The Broncos were in Miami Gardens, Fla., to face the Dolphins. You might remember that as the first of Tim Tebow's comebacks that season. But I also recall that it was when injuries and circumstance shoved the undrafted rookie into the game in the final moments of regulation and the overtime that followed.

It doesn't take decades of studying this sport to know that when a rookie cornerback with 20 snaps is on the field for overtime, he's going to see the football fly in his direction.

Miami quarterback Matt Moore obliged. On the first play of overtime, he locked in on wide receiver Brandon Marshall, then the Dolphins' top target. Harris, lining up as the slot cornerback, got caught in traffic, but then sped toward Marshall as he stopped his route 9 yards past the line of scrimmage. Marshall turned back, and the ball arrived -- but Harris deflected it first. The Dolphins went three-and-out.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/From-undrafted-to-unstoppable-Chris-Harris-Jr-got-his-big-deal-because-he-earned-it/fc8fa123-0481-46d8-9140-19bbe40ef7a2

VonDoom
12-12-2014, 11:18 PM
I see the comments about him being our #2 corner. That's a flat out myth. Talib's contract is very team friendly. It may end up being a one year deal.

We've talked about that on here before. We could move on from Talib after this year but I don't think that's a good idea. Too much dead money for a quality CB. After next year, maybe. Until then, another year together can only help both of them, and Roby as well.

Canmore
12-12-2014, 11:24 PM
We've talked about that on here before. We could move on from Talib after this year but I don't think that's a good idea. Too much dead money for a quality CB. After next year, maybe. Until then, another year together can only help both of them, and Roby as well.

Agreed. You can't have to many decent corners. Talib stays at least one more year.

Ziggy
12-13-2014, 12:56 AM

We'll see. Normally I would agree, but there are too many quality free agents on this team to re-sign. With Harris in the fold and Roby's talent I think the Broncos can use Talib's money on DT. Elway always finds his gems in free agency and the draft. The Broncos are going to have to cut somewhere, and Talib might be a luxury at this point for what he's being paid.

Spiritguy
12-13-2014, 01:19 AM
Nice to know he loves his job and the area.

"I know I could have got more out in the (free-agent) market," Harris said. "I could have been someone else's No. 1 corner, but I decided it was best for me and my family to stay. I love it here. I love the fans. I love to come to work here. Everything about the city I love. The coaches I love. I'm just thankful to John and the Broncos for giving me an opportunity to come in and play and show them what I've got and then blessing me with this..."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...42-5m-contract (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27126465/chris-harris-agrees-5-year-42-5m-contract)

Hawgdriver
12-13-2014, 05:50 AM
Chris Harris, Jr. is my favorite Bronco.

VonDoom
12-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Here are some interesting tidbits on this extension:

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Harris will recieve a $10 million signing bonus. That bonus will be prorated starting in 2014 so the Broncos will use $2 million of their salary cap space now on Harris rather than carrying it over to next season

I like this. Saves money next year, and essentially uses some of that Prater money now.

The top players at the position, who Harris statistically compares favorably to, will earn at least $45 million over the first three years of their contract extensions. Considering Harris will earn$42.5 over 5 it is clear he was not looked at as that level of player. I would have thought that Harris would have fetched in the ballpark of $10 million a season if he had entered free agency.

There's a lot of talk about being a "#2 CB" but I don't think it much matters. Harris gets paid and stays in a place he obviously likes, the team gets a discounted rate for a top corner. Sounds great for both sides.

The rest: http://overthecap.com/broncos-extend-chris-harris-42-5-million-5-years/

DenBronx
12-13-2014, 07:53 PM

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Harris will recieve a $10 million signing bonus. That bonus will be prorated starting in 2014 so the Broncos will use $2 million of their salary cap space now on Harris rather than carrying it over to next season

I like this. Saves money next year, and essentially uses some of that Prater money now.
/[/url]

It doesnt save us anything. All were doing it using it up now and wont roll it over next year. We could use it now or roll it and use it next year but still doesnt save us.

Simple Jaded
12-14-2014, 12:08 AM
This amuses big, slow white dudes across the league.

VonDoom
12-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Harris is finally getting some national attention after signing his big contract extension. See Peter King today:

Before getting into Harris’ career, let’s get into the reason why Denver GM John Elway felt so compelled to enter the stalled negotiations with Harris—who would have commanded $10 million a year or more as a free agent after the season, most likely—in the past few days.

The end result: Elway was proactive, reading the market correctly and knowing that a really good 25-year-old cover corner would be a $12-million-a-year player on the open market (and could even get a sniff if the Broncos franchised him). Harris, realizing the tenuousness of life in the NFL, took a $10 million bonus and $8.5 million average. Seems like a good deal for both sides.

The rest (specifically the page that focuses on this story): http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/15/nfl-week-15-winners-losers/3/

VonDoom
12-15-2014, 03:10 PM
From today's presser:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m8 minutes ago

John Elway: "We're thrilled to get this done with Chris (Harris) ... Chris represents everything we like to see in a Denver Bronco."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m8 minutes ago

Elway: "The bottom line is that Chris has earned all this." @Broncos @ChrisHarrisJr

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

Chris Harris Jr.: "It's a great feeling being here for the next five years."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

Harris: "Before we started talking, I told my agent, 'Please get the deal done here' ... this is where I always want to be."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 27s28 seconds ago

Elway: "We have a bunch of guys coming up ... we're hoping that we can get everybody (signed) ... Chris is a start for us."

Love those last two specifically

tripp
12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
I think the involvement of Elway for the past 4 years is a huge plus for us in terms of signing players to Denver. Players know, by signing with Denver, you have a guy in Elway who isn't just OK with winning a few games, he wants to win Championships and be a contender every year. Unfortunately the same cannot be said with every team in the NFL.

G_Money
12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice to know he loves his job and the area.

He also has a first-hand look at how much Decker is enjoying being somebody else's #1 instead of our #2. He locked up 24 million in guarantees in a town he likes with a great GM, coach, and team (for as long as old man Manning is at the helm). Somebody else might have given him more dollars, but probably not more love or a better situation.

Chris is a weapon in the secondary who can do basically anything asked of him. He's well worth the money, and I really did not expect to be able to retain him. Well done, Elway.

DT next, if you please. :salute:

chazoe60
12-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Now can we put Harris on that annoying little midget Edelman if we play NE in the AFCCG?

DenBronx
12-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Now can we put Harris on that annoying little midget Edelman if we play NE in the AFCCG?

Id put him on Gronkowski.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-15-2014, 09:04 PM

I wish we could put Trevathan on him. Gronk is just too physical for DB's.

GEM
12-16-2014, 10:42 AM

There's a lot of talk about being a "#2 CB" but I don't think it much matters. Harris gets paid and stays in a place he obviously likes, the team gets a discounted rate for a top corner. Sounds great for both sides.

The rest: http://overthecap.com/broncos-extend-chris-harris-42-5-million-5-years/

In his presser after the announcement one of the reporters said something like You know you could have gotten more, to which he laughed and said Yea, I know I could have, but I want to be here, my family likes it here, we're happy here, at the end of the day, it isn't always about money, it's about being somewhere that makes you happy and Denver does that.

Gosh, I just love him so much. The undrafted FA comes out of nowhere and makes so much of himself, just an all around great story behind this young man!

GEM
12-16-2014, 10:50 AM

Tony Gonzales is probably as close to being right as I've heard. You have to blanket Gronk, one guy won't be able to do it, no matter who he is. Even with a couple of guys on him, he'll still win the battle often.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Tony Gonzales is probably as close to being right as I've heard. You have to blanket Gronk, one guy won't be able to do it, no matter who he is. Even with a couple of guys on him, he'll still win the battle often.

That sounds about right. He might not have blazing speed, but he's almost as big as JJ Watt and has a huge catching radius. His body alone creates separation.

DenBronx
12-16-2014, 07:09 PM

I really hope we will make adjustments on defense if we meet. We HAVE to gameplan for Gronk while still planning on what to do with Edelman. Hope Del Rio gets that...

VonDoom
12-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Salary details are out for the Harris deal - check out this link:

http://overthecap.com/player/chris-harris/9

Kind of an interesting structure. His cap number for 2015 is only $3 million, but it jumps considerably to $9 million or more for 2016-2018. The Broncos wouldn't realistically be able to get out of the deal before 2017 without severe dead money consequences (not that I think they'd want to).

IAOFM has an article that goes over some of the contract details:

His cap number will jump to $9M in 2016 and stay around that level for the remainder of the contract. Of course, two things to keep in mind are that the salary cap should be much higher at that point, and chances are, Denver's quarterback will most likely sport a much lower cap figure starting right around there (shudder to think).

Good read if you like that kind of thing - http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/examining-the-details-of-the-chris-harris-extension

DenBronx
03-12-2015, 02:01 AM
Well....

At least we did good by signing Harris early. Lesson learned because DB are getting up to 30% more on the open market now.

He makes our secondary alot better. Him, Talib and Ward together another year are going to be fun to watch. All tough and physical DBs.

Can we get Brandon Browner on line 1 and see if he's interested in transitioning to free safety???

SR
03-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Well.... At least we did good by signing Harris early. Lesson learned because DB are getting up to 30% more on the open market now. He makes our secondary alot better. Him, Talib and Ward together another year are going to be fun to watch. All tough and physical DBs. Can we get Brandon Browner on line 1 and see if he's interested in transitioning to free safety???

Might as well call Champ and ask him to play safety too.

Cugel
03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
The Broncos are not in the market for more help in the secondary. Right now they probably have the deepest and best secondary in the AFC, since the Patriots lost both their starting CBs.

The desperate need on this team is for OFFENSIVE LINEMEN who can block and keep Robert Mathis from throwing Peyton on his head. Right now they have done NOTHING in FA to help the OL at all and have 3 gaping holes at LG, C and RT. And that's assuming that Ryan Clady returns to form after a pretty dismal 2014. He claims that he was still suffering from his knee injury and in 2015 he'll be better. We better hope so.

NightTerror218
03-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Time for some of the draft picks to get growing pains. Can't draft guys and never play them. You get nowhere with them that way.