PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coach John Fox: "There's nothing wrong with our passing game"

Denver Native (Carol)
12-08-2014, 04:44 PM
The jarring shift remains eye opening. Over a three-week period, the Broncos have changed their personality, if not philosophy. They have run more than they have passed, providing a steady dose of C.J. Anderson, while using Peyton Manning as a complementary piece.

It has raised external concern that the ground attack has knocked Manning out of rhythm.

"There's no quarterback I'd rather have than Peyton Manning. It just so happens that we have leaned a little more on run," coach John Fox said. "Our passing game is fine. You never know, we might put our foot on the gas and throw it 50 times."

AND

"There's nothing wrong with our passing game. We have just run more the past few weeks. There was nothing wrong with our run game when people were blowing fuse about that," Fox said. "We lost a guy like Julius Thomas, and part of coaching is utilizing what we have to the best of our ability."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27093826/broncos-coach-john-fox-theres-nothing-wrong-our

Buff
12-08-2014, 04:48 PM
It is sort of absurd that Manning leads the team to a historic passing season, throws a TD in 51 straight games, wins an MVP, has us as a Top 5 passing offense again this season, and the national conversation is about how he might be an ineffective passer now.

Northman
12-08-2014, 04:48 PM
There's no quarterback I'd rather have than Peyton Manning.

Well, i could think of a couple.

BroncoJoe
12-08-2014, 04:51 PM
It is sort of absurd that Manning leads the team to a historic passing season, throws a TD in 51 straight games, wins an MVP, has us as a Top 5 passing offense again this season, and the national conversation is about how he might be an ineffective passer now.

I blame BTB/BW.

MOtorboat
12-08-2014, 04:52 PM

Hopefully no one tears an ACL with all the knee-jerking going on.

tomjonesrocks
12-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Not really.

When it goes, it often goes fast. The worry is age. We watched Champ Bailey go from stud to out of the league seemingly overnight. It's a concern.

wayninja
12-08-2014, 05:07 PM
It's a what have you done for me lately game. And to add another cliche, everything is perfect until it isn't.

Questions about Manning in cold weather, in windy conditions, and every month he ages are perfectly legitimate IMHO. I just hope he proves them all unfounded, but the last few weeks have been rough to say the least. Winning is great, and I have no complaints there, but it'd be naive to think that there are no concerns going into the playoffs.

Buff
12-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Not really.

When it goes, it often goes fast. The worry is age. We watched Champ Bailey go from stud to out of the league seemingly overnight. It's a concern.

Yeah, but the concern is the same as it was 2 years ago, and the same as it was in January. His arm strength is limited and that limits our offense. We've known that for a couple years now - and we've most certainly known that since the Super Bowl.

The irony is that now we're finally doing something to compensate for that by emphasizing the run, and only now is everyone voicing their concern about his passing. It seems counter-intuitive.

BroncoWave
12-08-2014, 05:54 PM
I blame BTB/BW.

Yep, because I write for the Denver Post! :D

DenBronx
12-08-2014, 06:33 PM
There's no quarterback I'd rather have than Peyton Manning.

Well, i could think of a couple.

Annnnd there's absolutely no chance in hell we could realistically get them either.

Pudge
12-08-2014, 07:03 PM
I blame BTB/BW.

He did break the news, I'll bet kiszla frequents this board, and gets all his great ideas for articles from btb

BroncoWave
12-08-2014, 07:07 PM
He did break the news, I'll bet kiszla frequents this board, and gets all his great ideas for articles from btb

If so that's some bullshit, I need to be on the payroll!

NightTrainLayne
12-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Yeah, but the concern is the same as it was 2 years ago, and the same as it was in January. His arm strength is limited and that limits our offense. We've known that for a couple years now - and we've most certainly known that since the Super Bowl.

The irony is that now we're finally doing something to compensate for that by emphasizing the run, and only now is everyone voicing their concern about his passing. It seems counter-intuitive.

^^^ Nailed it.

wayninja
12-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Maybe. I don't recall Manning looking like this last November/December. I think folks feel relieved that we are taking some pressure off of him, but concerned that he won't be able to step up if that doesn't pan out. Sure, it's the same concern, but that doesn't mean the reasons for the concerns aren't worsening.

If it were just as easy as having a stout defense and a good running game, we probably didn't need to spend the money on Manning...

OrangeHoof
12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Want to know what's wrong with our passing game? It's that Julius Thomas hasn't played. Demaryious Thomas is playing on a sore ankle, Emanuel Sanders is taking blows to his noggin and Welker is just a shell of himself after two many blows to the noggin. Lattimer, after a brief appearance, is injured too. So, that means we're throwing the ball to Tamme who can't complete a catch or Caldwell who is always a step behind.

Up until this week, Anderson was 100% healthy and running like it. Now, we're almost out of weapons that aren't banged up.

When Manning doesn't have open receivers to throw to, he resorts to sideline routes where the ball will likely sail out of bounds if his receiver doesn't catch it.

The game in San Diego ought to be a good test. Hopefully, JT and DT are back to 90% or better and the weather will be in the 60s. We'll still run quite a bit but I suspect the passing game will get back some crispness.

Simple Jaded
12-08-2014, 10:59 PM
So we're good? Cool.

Dapper Dan
12-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I guess it would make it hard to game plan against the Broncos.