PDA

View Full Version : Google Chromecast. I have to be on wifi?

Dapper Dan
12-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Ugh. I'm trying to use Chromecast. I go to install the Chromecast app on my desktop. I points out that my wifi isn't on. Of course not. My desktop doesn't have wifi. It's connected straight to the wifi router. So will I really not be able to control my Chromecast through my desktop?

Davii
12-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Ugh. I'm trying to use Chromecast. I go to install the Chromecast app on my desktop. I points out that my wifi isn't on. Of course not. My desktop doesn't have wifi. It's connected straight to the wifi router. So will I really not be able to control my Chromecast through my desktop?

The chrome cast has to have WiFi and you control it through your network. I think you might need your laptop on WiFi the first time you set it up to help in the discovery process. I typically control mine with my tablet or phone, I've never tried using a hard wired computer.

Dapper Dan
12-06-2014, 11:55 PM
The chrome cast has to have WiFi and you control it through your network. I think you might need your laptop on WiFi the first time you set it up to help in the discovery process. I typically control mine with my tablet or phone, I've never tried using a hard wired computer.

I think I may have figured something out. I downloaded Video Stream and Google Cast and it seems to be working. I'm not sure how it will work with Netflix or anything else.

BroncoWave
12-06-2014, 11:55 PM
I have a question about Chromecast as I'm really considering getting it. Do you have to sign in with a cable provider to be able to watch WatchESPN? From what I've read you do, which seems like a load of crap to me. The point of getting something like Chromecast is to dump cable. Can't do that if they make you use a provider login though.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 12:07 AM
I have a question about Chromecast as I'm really considering getting it. Do you have to sign in with a cable provider to be able to watch WatchESPN? From what I've read you do, which seems like a load of crap to me. The point of getting something like Chromecast is to dump cable. Can't do that if they make you use a provider login though.

If there's anyone at all that trusts you and has cable/satellite, you could sign in with their info. Parents, sibling, anyone?

I'm not saying I've tried that. I actually never tried Watch ESPN until I got Dish. It should work though.

I've only had my Chromecast for a couple weeks. I'm not really sure how useful it will be.

Davii
12-07-2014, 12:59 AM

Didn't make me. HBO Go does, but my ESPN never made me log in.

Davii
12-07-2014, 01:00 AM
If there's anyone at all that trusts you and has cable/satellite, you could sign in with their info. Parents, sibling, anyone?

I'm not saying I've tried that. I actually never tried Watch ESPN until I got Dish. It should work though.

I've only had my Chromecast for a couple weeks. I'm not really sure how useful it will be.

I've used mine pretty regularly, mainly youtube and HBO go.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 01:05 AM
I can see me using mine to stream downloaded movies.

BroncoJoe
12-07-2014, 09:27 AM
We have Chromecast - and have really enjoyed it. Recently got the Amazon Fire Stick, and think it may be a little better.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 10:01 AM
We have Chromecast - and have really enjoyed it. Recently got the Amazon Fire Stick, and think it may be a little better.

How so?

BroncoJoe
12-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Chromecast simply flings content from a device. The Fire Stick can be used standalone. The interface is better, more content and access to Amazon Prime (which we are members).

Davii
12-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Chromecast simply flings content from a device. The Fire Stick can be used standalone. The interface is better, more content and access to Amazon Prime (which we are members).

Yeah, if you're a prime member there's no contest. That does equate to paying for content though.

Pudge
12-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Yeah, if you're a prime member there's no contest. That does equate to paying for content though.

There's so many benefits to bring a prime member that the cost is miniscule

Davii
12-07-2014, 01:27 PM
There's so many benefits to bring a prime member that the cost is miniscule

No doubt. It's almost silly not to be prime if you use amazon at all.

BroncoWave
12-07-2014, 01:31 PM
No doubt. It's almost silly not too be prime if you use amazon at all.

The thing I don't like about prime is that it charges you annually instead of monthly. I had it last year but the annual charge popped up at a time where I was a little short on cash so I had to cancel it. Much easier to budget it with monthly payments.

Pudge
12-07-2014, 01:36 PM
The thing I don't like about prime is that it charges you annually instead of monthly. I had it last year but the annual charge popped up at a time where I was a little short on cash so I had to cancel it. Much easier to budget it with monthly payments.

I like paying for it once instead of having 12 seven dollar payments. It can become inconvenient if you forget about the annual charge

BroncoWave
12-07-2014, 01:46 PM
I like paying for it once instead of having 12 seven dollar payments. It can become inconvenient if you forget about the annual charge

I'd way rather pay the 7 a month. Just set it to auto debit every month like I do netflix and forget about it.

Davii
12-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I'd way rather pay the 7 a month. Just set it to auto debit every month like I do netflix and forget about it.

If they allowed it monthly they'd lose money. Everyone would sign up when they had a LOT of shipping, like Christmas, then cancel 1 Jan. Amazon counts on people that don't use it a ton to make up for those who do.

BroncoJoe
12-07-2014, 02:05 PM
$99/year for Prime is a no brainier. We use the free, 2 day shipping all year.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I use Netflix AND Prime. #MakeItRain

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I have Netflix, sell me on Prime.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
I have Netflix, sell me on Prime.

Worth it. Get it. Money. Do it. Gangster.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Free 2 day shipping.

Slick
12-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Check your mile high salutes D Bake.

Pudge
12-07-2014, 02:23 PM
If they allowed it monthly they'd lose money. Everyone would sign up when they had a LOT of shipping, like Christmas, then cancel 1 Jan. Amazon counts on people that don't use it a ton to make up for those who do.

Yeah, I'm the guy that never use it. I maybe buy eight things a year off of it. I rarely stream movies, but when I do it's convenient to have. Also prime music is awesome.

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Worth it. Get it. Money. Do it. Gangster.

But why is it worth it? What's so awesome about it?

Pudge
12-07-2014, 02:31 PM

I can download free music, legally.. stream movies, rent movies that are new, buy virtual movies, and free 2 day shipping on almost anything you buy

Pudge
12-07-2014, 02:33 PM
I can download free music, legally.. stream movies, rent movies that are new, buy virtual movies, and free 2 day shipping on almost anything you buy

All for nine dollars cheaper than Netflix

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 02:34 PM

So I pay Amazon $99 for the right to then pay more money to rent movies I can already rent without the $99 up front?

That doesn't make sense to me. I'll spare the $99 and rent them from my Xbox.

Pudge
12-07-2014, 02:35 PM
So I pay Amazon $99 for the right to then pay more money to rent movies I can already rent without the $99 up front?

That doesn't make sense to me. I'll spare the $99 and rent them from my Xbox.

You also get prime movies and tv shows, that are free to stream.... It's just convenient having all this tied to one account

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 02:37 PM

I suck at advertising. I thought I could just throw words at you. You ask the tough questions, Mo

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 02:38 PM
You also get prime movies and tv shows, that are free to stream.... It's just convenient having all this tied to one account

I get the tied in part, especially purchasing from Amazon.com...but I pay Netflix once a month and don't pay them anymore. With Amazon it sounds like I'd pay them the annual fee and then keep paying them more to use the services.

Pudge
12-07-2014, 02:39 PM
I get the tied in part, especially purchasing from Amazon.com...but I pay Netflix once a month and don't pay them anymore. With Amazon it sounds like I'd pay them the annual fee and then keep paying them more to use the services.

Not at all, unless you want additional features that are going to cost more no matter which route you go, you can't rent new movies for free anywhere. Unless you want to illegally do so.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Prime has a TON of good music and movies. On top of that, you can also buy or rent other movies. With Netflix, you'd have to rent a disk, probably. If there aren't enough movies and shows on Prime to keep you occupied then you need a hobby. Also, I buy a lot from Amazon. The shipping helps.

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Not at all, unless you want additional features that are going to cost more no matter which route you go, you can't rent new movies for free anywhere. Unless you want to illegally do so.

I'm not fully saying everything I'm trying to.

Currently I have XBox Live and Netflix. I pay both a fee to use the service. I then rent movies I can't stream on Netflix on XBox, it ends up being about three or four extra movies a month.

I would have to pay XBox and then pay Amazon to do the exact same thing and miss out on some Netflix shows that are fantastic (House of Cards, especially).

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:06 PM

Currently I have XBox Live and Netflix. I pay both a fee to use the service. I then rent movies I can't stream on Netflix on XBox, it ends up being about three or four extra movies a month.

I would have to pay XBox and then pay Amazon to do the exact same thing and miss out on some Netflix shows that are fantastic (House of Cards, especially).

Well, no, Amazon Prime doesn't have Netflix exclusive shows.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBYBNEE?_encoding=UTF8&hvadid=48510960170&hvdev=c&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvpone=&hvpos=1t1&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15643216016924974234&ref=pd_sl_3147k9wquy_b&tag=googhydr-20

BroncoWave
12-07-2014, 03:12 PM
MO, I think the only thing that really makes Prime worth it is if you order a bunch of stuff off of Amazon, and pay more than 99 bucks a year in shipping for it. I only order like 3-4 things a year off Amazon and they didn't have any better of a streaming selection than Netflix IMO, so I saw no use in keeping it. Especially since I got hit with that 100 dollar charge all at once. I just cancelled at that point, got my money back, and haven't really missed it at all.

OB
12-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Prime has a lot of HBO shows for free. I buy enough off amazon that the free shipping alone makes it worthwhile. I also will buy things for friends and family that don't use amazon that much so they can get free shipping. I used to have Netflix and Hulu. I dropped Hulu when I got prime. So in the long run it saved me a ton. I can also get ebooks really cheap. My only complaint is they now have amazon unlimited for books. It's a separate monthly charge of $9.99. I can't justify 10 a month if I don't read at least 5 books and that's just too much. I think unlimited should be a part of Prime. If it were, I would be in heaven!!!!

I would just see what shows n movies they offer MO. If there are enough you'd watch, the free shipping is an added bonus.

Davii
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
If you happen to have a .edu email address you can get prime half price for 4 years.

Davii
12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Prime has a lot of HBO shows for free. I buy enough off amazon that the free shipping alone makes it worthwhile. I also will buy things for friends and family that don't use amazon that much so they can get free shipping. I used to have Netflix and Hulu. I dropped Hulu when I got prime. So in the long run it saved me a ton. I can also get ebooks really cheap. My only complaint is they now have amazon unlimited for books. It's a separate monthly charge of $9.99. I can't justify 10 a month if I don't read at least 5 books and that's just too much. I think unlimited should be a part of Prime. If it were, I would be in heaven!!!!

I would just see what shows n movies they offer MO. If there are enough you'd watch, the free shipping is an added bonus.

The free cloud storage is damned nice as well.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure how Wave buys his double donged dildos in public. Some of us prefer discreteness.

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Wait...HBO shows? Explain...like full seasons, past and present? Which shows?

Davii
12-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Wait...HBO shows? Explain...like full seasons, past and present? Which shows?

Listing (http://www.amazon.com/HBO-Providers/b?node=293883011&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=45081752916&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15175726805552400484&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6pejhg914x_b)

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:26 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hbo+amazon+prime

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Listing (http://www.amazon.com/HBO-Providers/b?node=293883011&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=45081752916&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15175726805552400484&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_6pejhg914x_b)

Hmmm.

Pudge
12-07-2014, 03:28 PM

I don't understand your beef, you lose one series, but you gain so much. The prime music by itself is worth it to me

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:30 PM
C'mon, Mo.

BroncoWave
12-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure how Wave buys his double donged dildos in public. Some of us prefer discreteness.

So I actually used to work in an Amazon warehouse for 4 months, and it's amazing how many dildos came through that place. I seriously think dildos make up like the majority of their business. It was pretty incredible.

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I don't understand your beef, you lose one series, but you gain so much. The prime music by itself is worth it to me

I don't buy very much, so the free shipping is almost null for me. The only really intriguing thing to me is the HBO a library.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:32 PM
So I actually used to work in an Amazon warehouse for 4 months, and it's amazing how many dildos came through that place. I seriously think dildos make up like the majority of their business. It was pretty incredible.

My buddy works in a Best Buy warehouse and he hates Amazon.

On Reddit, I saw a picture that had a very small section of an Amazon warehouse. It was interesting.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't buy very much, so the free shipping is almost null for me. The only really intriguing thing to me is the HBO a library.

Then we will zone in on that.

Did you check out those shows? Pretty cool, huh?

MOtorboat
12-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Then we will zone in on that.

Did you check out those shows? Pretty cool, huh?

Lol

Slick
12-07-2014, 03:35 PM
How much do you guys pay a month for Netflix? It's $8 a month here.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Now I'm wondering if Wave stole a dildo or two. How did he sneak them out?

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 03:36 PM
How much do you guys pay a month for Netflix? It's $8 a month here.

Same for me.

OB
12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
I knew the HBO would give you second thoughts about it but I'm with you on having more than two pay services a month.

OB
12-07-2014, 03:42 PM
I pay $11 because we have the four accounts. Since there are basically three of us here in this house who use it separately there were times someone wasn't able to watch when we just had the two. We give the 4th to a friend of Samantha's to log in on.

BroncoWave
12-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Now I'm wondering if Wave stole a dildo or two. How did he sneak them out?

It would be pretty impressive to snek a dildo out of there. Would take more skill than I have.

Davii
12-07-2014, 03:49 PM
It would be pretty impressive to snek a dildo out of there. Would take more skill than I have.

I'm sure you've got a good enough hiding place. :lol:

Poet
12-07-2014, 05:59 PM
I signed up for the free two month trial and when I'm done with my work I'll be watching Deadwood tonight.

Dapper Dan
12-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Like a bauce.

Thnikkaman
12-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Are all the cartoon network shows for free on prime? I'd use the "my kids" excuse, but I'm such a fan of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Teen Titans Go.

OB
12-10-2014, 11:05 AM
OK - so this is even cooler than free 2 day shipping - you can chose free shipping BUT they give you a $1 credit toward ebooks or digital music on your amazon account if you opt out of the 2 day part - so if you are buying an item you dont necessarily have to have right away you get PAID to have the item shipped to you regular mail - so very cool