PDA

View Full Version : Ben Garland named Broncos’ 2014 Walter Payton Man of the Year

Denver Native (Carol)
12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Broncos guard Ben Garland was named their 2014 Walter Payton Man of the Year recipient for his “outstanding leadership both on the field and in the community,” the team announced Thursday.

Garland, a former Air Force player who signed with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2010, co-founded and serves as the executive director of the SoDE Solution, a nonprofit that aims to end sex trafficking “through sustainable and changing economic situations,” like with his current mission of making a 15-year-old Cambodian orphanage self-sustainable.

Garland has also worked extensively with the Broncos’ high school football platform and volunteers regularly in community events with organizations including the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver and the Denver Rescue Mission.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/12/04/ben-garland-named-broncos-2014-walter-payton-man-year/31277/

SoCalImport
12-05-2014, 02:18 PM
"a nonprofit that aims to end sex trafficking “through sustainable and changing economic situations,”

Wow! Not your run of the mill 'sports camp in deprived community' type work (Not to diminish the importance of such things). Working to improve the economic and education related issues in the countries that need it most is kinda above and beyond for a pro athlete. Especially in regards to an issue that doesn't make headlines the way it should, like sex trafficking.

Seriously impressed. I'd vote for him for the national award in a heartbeat

Denver Native (Carol)
12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
You are always seen encouraging your teammates to sign up for community events, why is it so important for you as an NFL player to give back to the community?

“I think just growing up here in Colorado—I want to give back to the community as much as I can. I remember being a little kid and a few Broncos players did events for me and that was all I could talk about for months. Just to have the opportunity to take a few hours and have a major effect on a kid’s life—I want to do as much as I can.”

You grew up rooting for the Broncos, what is it like to now be one of those Broncos players out in the community?

“Unbelievable. Just to see the way the kids look at us—the way I used to look at [former QB] John Elway or any of the guys that I used to follow as a kid—seeing that and seeing how it makes their day, brings smiles to their faces, means everything to me.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Community-Conversation-Ben-Garland/3f52acc9-84f7-4c07-b6ba-5a11a2e4f0df