PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!!! Hawaii goes undefeated!!!

omac
12-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Down 21-0 to Washington in the 1st quarter, they rallied to beat them within the last 2 minutes of the game, 35-28.

Another game Brennan does not disappoint; 42-50, 433 yards, 5 TDs. So far, in the big games, he's played big. Rivers also had a big game with 165 yards receiving and 4 TDs.

These have been big wins for Hawaii. First, they won the WAC; then, this win should get them a BCS bowl spot. The sportscasters said it was rumoured that they'd play the Sugar Bowl if they won this.

Hopefully, they get the Bowl spot they deserve; going undefeated, there's nothing more this team could've done any better to earn it.

omac
12-02-2007, 03:45 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20071201_WA@HI

Hawaii vs. Washington
Recap

Late interception secures No. 11 Hawaii's win, perfect season

Dec. 2, 2007
CBSSports.com wire reports

HONOLULU -- Colt Brennan threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Grice-Mullen with 44 seconds left and No. 11 Hawaii overcame a 21-point deficit to beat Washington 35-28 on Saturday night to finish the regular season 12-0 and virtually assure a BCS berth.

Brennan was near perfect with a Heisman Trophy night, throwing two fourth-quarter touchdown passes. He was 42-of-50, including 6-of-6 on the winning 76-yard drive.

He threw for 442 yards and five TDs with no interceptions.

Grice-Mullen caught a slant pass from Brennan for the score that put the sellout crowd in a frenzy, chanting "BCS! BCS!"

Washington (4-9) took over with 38 seconds and drove all the way to the Hawaii 4, but Jake Locker's pass was intercepted by Ryan Mouton in the end zone with three seconds left, sealing the win and the Warriors' perfect season.

Thousands of fans charged the field and flashes sparkled in Hawaii's biggest win in school history.

Hawaii entered the game 12th in the Bowl Championship Series standings. It will need to finish in the top 12 when the final standings are released Sunday to land in one of the choice bowl games.

The Warriors might play in the Sugar Bowl against LSU. It would be their first postseason appearance outside the Aloha State since the 1992 Holiday Bowl.

Hawaii has won a national-best 13 straight games, dating to its victory over Arizona State in the Hawaii Bowl, and 22 of its last 23 games.

The Warriors tied it at 28 with 8:01 left, on Brennan's 40-yard rainbow to Rivers. It was their fourth TD hookup of the game.

Rivers finished with 14 catches for 167 yards. Grice-Mullen added 10 catches for 121 yards.

Hawaii caught a major break when the Huskies appeared to have converted a third-and-15 near to put the ball deep in Hawaii territory. Locker was flagged for crossing the line of scrimmage, even though he appeared to be right on the line.

The Warriors took over on their 24 with 4:15 left and marched down the field for their winning score.

Hawaii's high-powered offense, which averages nearly 50 points a game, got going in the second quarter with Brennan completing all 16 of his pass attempts for 179 yards and Rivers catching three TD passes.

With 1:27 left in the half, Brennan drove the Warriors 64 yards amid a passing downpour and tossed a 13-yard TD toss to Rivers to pull Hawaii to 28-21. The catch was initially ruled incomplete, but was reversed after a challenge.

Rivers also caught a 7-yard TD pass that got Hawaii on the scoreboard and capped an 83-yard drive with Brennan completing seven straight passes. Brennan was 5-of-5 on Hawaii's next drive, including a 3-yard dart to Rivers for a score.

On a day of upsets, Washington stunned the green-clad crowd of 49,566 by jumping out to a 21-0 lead in the first 9½ minutes of the game. The Huskies forced three fumbles and took advantage of strong field position in the one-sided first quarter.

It was the first time Hawaii had been shutout in the opening quarter this year.

Louis Rankin led the Huskies with 145 yards on 21 carries.

Locker rushed for 76 yards, giving him 986 for the season, just missing becoming the first quarterback in Pac-10 history to rush for 1,000 yards.

The freshman scored on an 8-yard run on the game's opening series, which was kept alive by a Hawaii penalty on fourth down.

On Hawaii's ensuing drive, Nate Williams stripped Brennan that gave Washington possession at the Hawaii 21. Four plays later, Luke Kravitz punched it in on fourth down from the 1. Kravitz also scored on another 1-yard run to give the Huskies a 21-0 lead.

The Huskies tried to pad their lead late in the quarter, but a 38-yard field goal attempt by Ryan Perkins was blocked by Joshua Leonard.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

BroncoBJ
12-02-2007, 03:46 AM
They were down 21-0 and 28-7 but that was good stuff.
I just love watching the BCS look stupid as always.

I'm more intrigued on who will play in the title game.

SR
12-02-2007, 04:07 AM
We'll finally get to see them play a real team, not a small WAC team.

omac
12-02-2007, 04:09 AM
They were down 21-0 and 28-7 but that was good stuff.
I just love watching the BCS look stupid as always.

I'm more intrigued on who will play in the title game.

Yeah, whole lot of shakeups in the rankings this season. I think the 2 top ranked teams just lost. The sportscasters were saying that now, even LSU has a shot at the national title.

I love watching Hawaii play, the few times their games are covered here (or on the net, that is :D ). That's a real dynamic offense; not only the quarterback, but the receivers can change their route based on the developing coverage. Always fun to watch a QB that can throw 5 TDs, and 3 top notch receivers. They have weaknesses on defense, though. I want to see how they perform against a respected, top-ranked team.

omac
12-02-2007, 04:12 AM

Well, Boise State, though WAC, was ranked 17. ASU who they played last season was ranked preseason by 2 publications at 17 and 24, if I remember correctly, and they also scored a bunch of points against them.

I am concerned how their defense holds up; I think their team was stronger defensively last season.

BroncoBJ
12-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Yea its going to be a crazy Sunday.
And I agree. Hawaii is always on at like 9 my time and I usually watch all thier games.

It seems like I get every one of thier games. :lol:

omac
12-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Yea its going to be a crazy Sunday.
And I agree. Hawaii is always on at like 9 my time and I usually watch all thier games.

It seems like I get every one of thier games. :lol:

Cool for you. This is the first time I've caught them all season. Only saw about 2 or 3 games last season, but it was fun, cause they had this short stocky bowling ball RB, Nate Ilaoa; fun to watch a guy that big and heavy running fast on the outside, making defenders literally bounce off him. :D

Poet
12-02-2007, 04:48 AM
I hope they get killed in whatever bowl game they play in.

omac
12-02-2007, 05:12 AM

I hope they win. :rockon:

One sweet deal about all of this? Recruiting. Hawaii's last 3 QBs have or are getting a shot at the NFL. Same when it comes to the receivers, Hawaii should get a pretty good shot at landing the prospects they want.

Good time for Hawaii fans.

Yeah, it should. Hopefully, their program doesn't take a step back without Brennan QB'ing. And June Jones is cool; he gives people 2nd chances to turn their life around, when no other team would.

sneakers
12-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Hooray for Hawaii! I can't wait to see them in a bowl game with one of the powerhouses from the mainland.

sneakers
12-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Holy Cow! Their QB was 42 of 50 passing!!

Escobar
12-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Ya i agree, i wanna see that, we saw boise state last year...so im pretty sure they are a pretty good matchup against a good teams. well see

Nomad
12-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Is Hawaii better than most thought or do they play in a weak, bottom tier of DIV I college football? Yeah, they beat the PAC 10 bottom feeder team who basically choked the game away, but more than likely they'll be in the Sugar Bowl playing LSU (unless LSU gets the invitation to the NTG). Either way, Hawaii and the WAC conference has another chance to prove they should be consider in the NTG conversation if they win their BCS bowl game.

cpr940
12-02-2007, 12:33 PM

What did Hawaii ever do to you?

omac
12-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Is Hawaii better than most thought or do they play in a weak, bottom tier of DIV I college football? Yeah, they beat the PAC 10 bottom feeder team who basically choked the game away, but more than likely they'll be in the Sugar Bowl playing LSU (unless LSU gets the invitation to the NTG). Either way, Hawaii and the WAC conference has another chance to prove they should be consider in the NTG conversation if they win their BCS bowl game.

(edited my comment) Oops, sorry, I thought you meant ASU choked last year when they lost to Hawaii. ASU has 15 of their players with All-Pac-10 honors, so the team Hawaii beat last season couldn't have been just a bunch of scrubs, and they didn't choke either. http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120307aae.html

Nomad
12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Choke? Nope, ASU still continued to fight and they continued to score; Rudy Carpenter was playing with a lot of poise, and directing scoring drives. Their only problem was that they couldn't keep up with Hawaii's offense. Also, some of those players earned pac-10 honors this season, so they couldn't have been that bad. http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120307aae.html

Last i checked the Huskies are the bottom feeder of the PAC 10! Hawaii gets all the credit in the world if they beat Georgia which is 99% not going to happen. Georgia 45 Hawaii 20

omac
12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Last i checked the Huskies are the bottom feeder of the PAC 10! Hawaii gets all the credit in the world if they beat Georgia which is 99% not going to happen. Georgia 45 Hawaii 20

I edited my post; I thought you meant ASU last year when Hawaii beat them.

Georgia will definitely be a test. By the comments on some of the threads here, Georgia was at least as deserving or even more deserving of a shot at the national title than LSU, so they are definitely a strong team. Hawaii better score a lot of points to give themselves a chance.

broncosfanscott
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I hope Hawaii beats Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. I have never been a really big fan of college football, however I would love to see a playoff system implemented athough it never will.

ChampWJ
12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
I hope Hawaii beats Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

I disagree. Based on the schedule they played, Hawaii doesn't even deserve to be there. That's not to say my team will take them lightly, but I think it's a slap in the face to other teams that have played top-tier opponents all season to let Hawaii in the BCS.

broncosfanscott
12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
I disagree. Based on the schedule they played, Hawaii doesn't even deserve to be there. That's not to say my team will take them lightly, but I think it's a slap in the face to other teams that have played top-tier opponents all season to let Hawaii in the BCS.

According to ESPN, those two are playing in the Sugar Bowl on January 1st in New Orleans. Like I said I don't have much knowledge about NCAA football, yet I think the only undefeated team should get a shot at something......I mean at least one of those big time bowls.

ChampWJ
12-04-2007, 01:11 AM
According to ESPN, those two are playing in the Sugar Bowl on January 1st in New Orleans. Like I said I don't have much knowledge about NCAA football, yet I think the only undefeated team should get a shot at something......I mean at least one of those big time bowls.

Even if they played 12 very sub-par teams? Wouldn't you want Champ Bailey and Terrell Davis' alma-mater to do well?

Watchthemiddle
12-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Hawaii's strength of schedule was ranked #118 out of #120 Division 1 schools. DOes that really deserve a BCS game??

omac
12-04-2007, 01:26 AM

That would be a bit unfair to Hawaii. It's true that their conference is weak, but they did the best they could in that conference, beating all challengers; they do invite top teams from stronger conferences to play them, but most teams reject their offer, saying Hawaii is not worth playing. Last season, Hawaii did beat a non-WAC team in ASU. Also, Boise State, whom Hawaii defeated this season and is also a WAC team, did beat Oklahoma last season. It's unfair not to give them a chance, just like Boise State was given a chance to face a top team in Oklahoma, and they beat them.

I believe what's more unfair is LSU leapfrogging Georgia for the national title game, when they were ahead of them in the rankings before the top 2 teams lost.

broncosfanscott
12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Even if they played 12 very sub-par teams? Wouldn't you want Champ Bailey and Terrell Davis' alma-mater to do well?

Of course, yet there is a little part of me that would like to see a small school do well. I just would like to see a good game.

broncosfanscott
12-04-2007, 03:03 AM
That would be a bit unfair to Hawaii. It's true that their conference is weak, but they did the best they could in that conference, beating all challengers; they do invite top teams from stronger conferences to play them, but most teams reject their offer, saying Hawaii is not worth playing. Last season, Hawaii did beat a non-WAC team in ASU. Also, Boise State, whom Hawaii defeated this season and is also a WAC team, did beat Oklahoma last season. It's unfair not to give them a chance, just like Boise State was given a chance to face a top team in Oklahoma, and they beat them.

I believe what's more unfair is LSU leapfrogging Georgia for the national title game, when they were ahead of them in the rankings before the top 2 teams lost.

Well said and good points made.

broncosfanscott
12-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Hawaii's strength of schedule was ranked #118 out of #120 Division 1 schools. DOes that really deserve a BCS game??

Yet out of 120 division 1 schools, they are the only undefeated team.

omac
12-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Well said and good points made.

Thanks man. :cheers:

omac
12-07-2007, 07:15 AM
GO HAWAII!!!!! :rockon:

Odds are Georgia beats them, but what are the ramifications if Hawaii gets the win? Will some teams in the WAC get a little more credit? Hard to believe that, since Boise St. did beat Oklahoma, yet people still don't believe a WAC team can win against a supposed contender.

So if Hawaii wins, which scenario would people believe?

1. Hawaii is a good team, despite biases stemming from their conference and their schedule;

2. Hawaii still isn't a good team, but Georgia probably wasn't that good either, definitely not worthy of a national title;

3. It was a fluke.

4. Hawaii had a great game, and Georgia just had a bad game (the Ohio St. excuse :D ).

ChampWJ
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM
GO HAWAII!!!!! :rockon:

Odds are Georgia beats them, but what are the ramifications if Hawaii gets the win? Will some teams in the WAC get a little more credit? Hard to believe that, since Boise St. did beat Oklahoma, yet people still don't believe a WAC team can win against a supposed contender.

So if Hawaii wins, which scenario would people believe?

1. Hawaii is a good team, despite biases stemming from their conference and their schedule;

2. Hawaii still isn't a good team, but Georgia probably wasn't that good either, definitely not worthy of a national title;

3. It was a fluke.

4. Hawaii had a great game, and Georgia just had a bad game (the Ohio St. excuse :D ).

It's not that people don't believe a WAC team can beat a title contender. Any team can win any game. Still, I believe they should have to play some actual competition throughout the season in order to get a shot to beat a contender. If they're going to play a PAC-10 team, don't schedule the last place PAC-10 team. Going 12-0 against a bunch of bottom tier, losing teams isn't proving anything. Give any WAC team the same schedule as LSU, USC, Ohio St, Florida, and I guarantee you they would struggle and wouldn't be anywhere close to 12-0.

It doesn't prove anything about a conference if they beat a contender once, they need to prove to be able to do it consistently several times a season before anyone gives them credit.

omac
12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
It's not that people don't believe a WAC team can beat a title contender. Any team can win any game. Still, I believe they should have to play some actual competition throughout the season in order to get a shot to beat a contender. If they're going to play a PAC-10 team, don't schedule the last place PAC-10 team. Going 12-0 against a bunch of bottom tier, losing teams isn't proving anything. Give any WAC team the same schedule as LSU, USC, Ohio St, Florida, and I guarantee you they would struggle and wouldn't be anywhere close to 12-0.

It doesn't prove anything about a conference if they beat a contender once, they need to prove to be able to do it consistently several times a season before anyone gives them credit.

The strength of schedule is not something Hawaii has a lot of control over; the most they can do and have been doing is inviting strong teams to play them, but it's not their fault if they're frequently rejected. June Jones even commented that some coaches put their team down, yet they don't play Hawaii and say they're beneath them. Next year, Hawaii gets to play Florida at Florida; great timing, now that Brennan isn't with them. :D

Aside from the teams they invite, they have to play their conference.

The best that a WAC team can ever do to get invited to a BCS bowl game is go undefeated, and that's what Hawaii's done this season, and Boise St. last season. Can't knock them for their schedule when teams reject their invitations. This season, one team even paid Hawaii a penalty fine for backing out of playing them.

Last season, Hawaii beat ASU, and Boise St. beat Oklahoma, so maybe they're not too bad.

Though the odds are against it, if Hawaii beats Georgia, they'd better get their props, specially from those who've been saying that they aren't a good team, and that Georgia would wipe the floor with them.

Hawgdriver
01-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't think I've ever seen such a complete grilleration in a college game. Men vs. Boys. I can count the number of offensive plays Hawaii ran in which Brennan remained upright on one hand. I think the Hawaii offensive line was there only to give the Georgia D-line low-5s on the way to Colt. Rough day at the office. I was pulling for Hawaii, put it wasn't in the cards...

broncogirl7
01-01-2008, 11:56 PM
This was a freaking blowout. Yeah Georgia!!!! I love Moreno and down the road would love to draft him.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
This was a freaking blowout. Yeah Georgia!!!! I love Moreno and down the road would love to draft him.

AH! MOOBS AGAIN! :laugh:

I was thinking the *exact* same thing. Dude has a great attitute and fire, I'll buy what he's selling. I liked watching him before the game, when he was dancing and singing with his boys, he was like, 'I'm gonna blow up this game, let's do it!' Great positive attitude, and wants to hit people.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I expected more from Hawaii, they really looked like crap. I wished Georgia could of played LSU or USC instead so I can see how good Georgia really is. They should be one of the top teams though for 2008 and 2009, because the team is so young.

BroncoAV06
01-02-2008, 12:49 AM
All I can say is wow. If todays BCS games don't scream 8 or so team playoff I don't know what does.

sneakers
01-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Poor Hawaii!

ChampWJ
01-02-2008, 02:26 AM
I expected more from Hawaii, they really looked like crap. I wished Georgia could of played LSU or USC instead so I can see how good Georgia really is. They should be one of the top teams though for 2008 and 2009, because the team is so young.

I think we know how good they are. They will only get better too, get ready for a fun couple of years.

SR
01-02-2008, 02:42 AM

So sad.:tsk:

Poet
01-02-2008, 04:03 AM
I am so happy that they lost. I hated hearing about Hawaii and their garbage team. In reality, I don't think I would be confident in saying that they are a top 35 team.

SR
01-02-2008, 05:25 AM
I've been saying all damn year that the minute they have to play a real team, they'll get walked. All I got were answers like "Well look what happened to Boise State". Feels good to be right.

BroncoBJ
01-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I've been saying all damn year that the minute they have to play a real team, they'll get walked. All I got were answers like "Well look what happened to Boise State". Feels good to be right.

:lol: Did anyone really think Hawaii would win?
Although the game last night was closer then I thought it would be.
I give Hawaii thier much deserved props. :salute:

SR
01-02-2008, 06:00 AM
:lol: Did anyone really think Hawaii would win?
Although the game last night was closer then I thought it would be.
I give Hawaii thier much deserved props. :salute:

I quit watching when it was 41-9. :laugh:

Rex
01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Who was the guy at the Freak that said Hawaii should be in the BCS championship game?

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Who was the guy at the Freak that said Hawaii should be in the BCS championship game?

Actually...I don't remember. I said IF they beat Georgia they have a claim to the National Title. But IF turned out to be NEVER...

DallasChief
01-02-2008, 08:58 AM
There were some good games yesterday. Too bad Georgia/Hawaii wasn't one of them.

The Texas Tech game was great.

MOtorboat
01-02-2008, 09:11 AM
There were some good games yesterday. Too bad Georgia/Hawaii wasn't one of them.

The Texas Tech game was great.

It was all the early games, the late games were yawners...

champbronc2
01-02-2008, 09:36 AM
I saw the blowout coming all the way.

I just don't think the WAC would compete with the SEC.

tripleoption
01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I kinda figured also that Hawaii would get beat, cuz the WAC is not the SEC. I was pulling for Hawaii, but it was obvious to me after the first offensive possession Hawaii had that they could not physically match up with Georgia, and I'm sure the coaches on both sides saw that right away. Hawaii's offensive line was totally manhandled. Georgia could've run anything they wanted on offense and defense against Hawaii and it would've been the same result. Colt Brennan said after the game Hawaii was a better team than they showed, but when you are overmatched physically as much as they were, they could play Georgia 10 times and get beat the same way 10 times. :tsk:

Rex
01-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I kinda figured also that Hawaii would get beat, cuz the WAC is not the SEC. I was pulling for Hawaii, but it was obvious to me after the first offensive possession Hawaii had that they could not physically match up with Georgia, and I'm sure the coaches on both sides saw that right away. Hawaii's offensive line was totally manhandled. Georgia could've run anything they wanted on offense and defense against Hawaii and it would've been the same result. Colt Brennan said after the game Hawaii was a better team than they showed, but when you are overmatched physically as much as they were, they could play Georgia 10 times and get beat the same way 10 times. :tsk:

That should pretty much shut up everyone that screams each year about teams like Hawaii getting screwed.

ChampWJ
01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I quit watching when it was 41-9. :laugh:

Not me, I grabbed a beer and turned the volume up. As a fan, it's not often you get to see your team lay the wood like that in a bowl game, so I enjoyed every minute of it, and can't wait to watch it again on my DVR.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
I didn't like how the Georgia fans started to chant stupid things to the Warrior players when we had a big lead. That was very Rivers like.

ChampWJ
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I didn't like how the Georgia fans started to chant stupid things to the Warrior players when we had a big lead. That was very Rivers like.

Drunk college kids do lots of stupid things.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Drunk college kids do lots of stupid things.

Yeah, for some reason that excuse isn't good enough for me. Like I said before it was very Rivers like

NightTrainLayne
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM

I almost got curious enough last night to go look him up at the Freak, but decided it wasn't worth it and went to bed.

Hopefully, he understands now the concept of strength of schedule.

ChampWJ
01-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, for some reason that excuse isn't good enough for me. Like I said before it was very Rivers like

I think the fans that did that stuff aren't representative of Georgia fans as a whole. A small portion of any teams' fans can set a bad reputation for the rest. I personally had about 6 family members in the Superdome for that game last night, and I know for certain they are classy fans and would never taunt another team, especially an overmatched one being blowout.

Still, I don't think what they were doing was Rivers-like. Why? Because Hawaii had no business being in that game. They were overrated, obviously. I didn't see much in the way of player taunting going on (other than that receiver from Hawaii) and I thought Georgia's players and coaches did an outstanding job of keeping things professional. That's how it differs from Rivers-like. A starting QB has no business talking trash like that, but you can't knock a team because of what a small segment of fans is doing.

BOSSHOGG30
01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
I think the fans that did that stuff aren't representative of Georgia fans as a whole. A small portion of any teams' fans can set a bad reputation for the rest. I personally had about 6 family members in the Superdome for that game last night, and I know for certain they are classy fans and would never taunt another team, especially an overmatched one being blowout.

Still, I don't think what they were doing was Rivers-like. Why? Because Hawaii had no business being in that game. They were overrated, obviously. I didn't see much in the way of player taunting going on (other than that receiver from Hawaii) and I thought Georgia's players and coaches did an outstanding job of keeping things professional. That's how it differs from Rivers-like. A starting QB has no business talking trash like that, but you can't knock a team because of what a small segment of fans is doing.

Both teams showed class, it was the fans... not sure if they were all Georgia, but the fans who showed they had no class. Do they understand what Hawaii accomplished? Don't they understand that the recruiting budgets are not even close and for Hawaii to do what they did is special? I was one of the first ones to say I'm tired of hearing about how great Hawaii is , but it doesn't mean that when I get to the game I'm going to chant over-rated and stuff like that to the team. They didn't do anything to deserve that.