PDA

View Full Version : Game-day tweets by Denver Police seen as approachable, inappropriate

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Twitter and Facebook have become the Denver Police Department's preferred method for sharing information about traffic accidents, crime news — and how the Broncos are playing.

The agency's Twitter account, the ninth-most followed law-enforcement account in the U.S., has grown dramatically this year. Social media has become an effective tool for the police department to deliver public safety news, and some casual commentary that some followers say is inappropriate.

AND

But the tone of the Twitter feed seems to change on weekends, particularly when the Broncos are playing. On Sunday, a flurry of rah-rah tweets from the @DenverPolice account started with a "FAN COURTESY ALERT: if u don't like our fun sports tweets,turn off your device. BOUT TO GET REAL-go @Broncos."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/News/ci_27046698/Gameday-tweets-by-Denver-Police-seen-as-approachable-inappropriate

chazoe60
12-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Nothing wrong with a police force showing some civic pride.

Northman
12-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Wow, complaining because the police force talks up the team? Really? Pettiness.

LawDog
12-02-2014, 04:48 PM
The DP's comments section has been overrun by the good citizens of Boulder...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I love it-

MOtorboat
12-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Kansas City's police and the Missouri Highway Patrol Twitter feeds were great during the baseball playoffs too. One I remember said something to the effect of, "let's not speed for the next three hours. We want to enjoy this too."

All in good fun. I want to call the lady whining about it bad names and make loud noises.

GEM
12-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes, throw a fit about the $10/hour guy posting 1 liners 4-5 times a Sunday 16 days out of a year, but pay no attn to the fire lieutenant making $7,500/month salary who never goes on fire calls. (Meanwhile the guys who actually fight the fires make shit for pay) These people who bitch are so small minded.

Takes about 2 min tops to post to twitter. 2X5x16=160 minutes. You've just cost the city a whopping $25.00 approx. for the whole Broncos regular season.

Hawgdriver
12-04-2014, 04:23 AM
What chaz said.

shank
12-04-2014, 10:05 AM
What Hawg said.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2014, 10:41 AM
What shank said.

I Eat Staples
12-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Not sure why anyone would complain about this, the police are people and fans too, nothing wrong with having some fun.

Buff
12-04-2014, 05:36 PM
OK fine, I'll be the contrarian.

1.) Why did they pick the person who communicates like a combative 13 year old meat head to do PR for them?
2.) It just feels like some cop who knows nothing about PR or the interwebz jumping on the twitterz to support the Broncoz! Which in a vacuum is fine - but is actually pretty counterproductive if you're actually trying to use that medium for real and important communications.

Basically, it just reeks of amateur hour. There is nothing wrong with showing a little civic pride if you don't come off looking like morons. And this is an organization that has severe PR problems already in the community.