PDA

View Full Version : cbs 4 preview broncos vs browns

T.K.O.
09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
CBS Preview Against Browns

the Denver Broncos (1-0) will return home to face the Cleveland Browns (0-1) tied for second in the NFL in defense.

Yes everyone, you read that right: Defense.

Inversely, Cleveland comes to the Mile High City tied for third worst in the NFL in scoring defense after surrendering 34 points to the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, 21 of which came on rushing touchdowns by Mr. All Day himself, Adrian Peterson.

The Broncos are in need of an offensive explosion, or maybe just a little pop after Sunday's performance in which the Broncos were only able to obtain 10 first downs.

Against the Browns, the Broncos are facing a seemingly improved pass defense and a run defense that, well, was flat out embarrassed by Minnesota.

After two runs by Correll Buckhalter went for first downs against Cincinnati, it seems crucial that the Broncos blueprint their offensive attack for Sunday with running plays. Despite a rocky finish to the game in terms of carrying the ball, the Broncos handed the ball off to their two primary ball carriers a total of 16 times, which is unacceptable.

The inability to effectively run the ball was the demise of the Broncos' passing game, which actually made a lot of good plays throughout the course of their first contest, namely a clutch play by Kyle Orton to roll out and hit Daniel Graham on a long pass play.

The Broncos are going to have their hands full with the likes of Brady Quinn, Braylon Edwards, and Jamal Lewis, and their defensive plan should be centered around flustering Quinn early. Jamal Lewis is not the same player he was five or six years ago, and it is apparent that the most improved aspect of Denver's defense is against the run.

If the Broncos can pressure Quinn, they will force him into bad throws and their defensive backfield will take advantage. Denver has the clear advantage in receiver/defensive backs matching up, and the Cleveland tight ends are mediocre at best.

It seemed as though Denver was using five linebackers in passing situations at times against the Bengals, and I expect to see a lot of the same on Sunday. Wesley Woodyard did an excellent job playing a hybrid linebacker/safety role, and ended up with an interception on a tipped pass.

Essentially, these are just my random thoughts heading into the Broncos' week two matchup, but I think some of these are key aspects:

It is fine if Orton manages the game, but he needs to orchestrate longer drives.
The running game needs to get going, and early.
Pressure Quinn early, force turnovers/punts.
Take advantage of youthful secondary.
After a miracle victory in week one, the Broncos head into their first home game of the 2009 campaign full steam ahead with confidence and need to ensure that this high is not short lived.

The cohesiveness of this offense depends largely on the production that is/was/will be expected of the wide receivers and tight ends of Denver. For so long, the Broncos have established a solid running game to set up the pass, but it seemed like they were trying to rely on Kyle Orton's arm too much.

Yet another intriguing matchup, and one that the Broncos cannot overlook. Cleveland and their fans are looking for redemption in week two, and the Broncos cannot let the Browns catch them riding a high.

disclaimer: i found this on another site and pasted it,it was titled the same way i titled the thread so i am assuming it was written by a reporter for cbs....however there was no author noted in the copy i found so......who knows.
i thought it was an interesting read so i posted it here.....thanx tko

dogfish
09-16-2009, 04:18 PM
the browns suck nads-- we'll beat them like a rented mule. . .

we have to. . . i might slit my wrists if we lose to brady queen. . . .

Ravage!!!
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
the browns suck nads-- we'll beat them like a rented mule. . .

we have to. . . i might slit my wrists if we lose to brady queen. . . .

Even I would be pretty damned surprised to lose to Cleveland. Talk about a team that just can't get better. I guess they have one thing going for them, consistency.

No way we lose to the Browns.

dogfish
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Even I would be pretty damned surprised to lose to Cleveland. Talk about a team that just can't get better. I guess they have one thing going for them, consistency.

yea, it's pretty amazing how consistently terrible they've been. . . they're getting to that level like detroit, like AZ was at before last year, where there just doesn't seem to be any hope and everything they do is wrong. . . i live an hour and a half south of cleveland, a lot of my family are browns fans, and the attitude of most of 'em is somewhere between disgust, resignation and despair. . .

it doesn't look to me like mangini has any answers, either. . . they look like a franchise with no direction and no plan. . . if they beat us, i'm probably going to go all claymore and spam the board with anti-mcdaniels hate propaganda. . . . :laugh:

Nomad
09-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I think the Browns will play us tough and it'll be a close game. Last time we played them (06),I thought the same thing 'it'll be a easy win' though the outcome was 17-7, they played us tough!!

Some reason I spaced that we played them last year as well and that was a tough game!!

Ravage!!!
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I think the Browns will play us tough and it'll be a close game. Last time we played them (06),I thought the same thing 'it'll be a easy win' though the outcome was 17-7, they played us tough!!

Some reason I spaced that we played them last year as well and that was a tough game!!

well.. Let me be clear in my perspective. We will NOT win ANY GAMES this year with an 'easy win'..... I think any wins we have will be tough and far between. Cleveland, imo, will give us everything we want.

But that being said... is we DO lose to Cleveland, welll, its going to put this team into perspective very quickly.

powderaddict
09-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I'll be watching the game with a bunch of family that's originally from Cleveland, so I hope they win! It will be absolutely BRUTAL to take if the Broncos lose!

I expect to see more progress from the offense, and hope to see the defense maintain their intensity and physical play. Add the home crowd, altitude, it add up to Denver *should* win. But, any given sunday...

IMO the Bengals are a more dangerous team than the Browns, and Denver beat them on the road, so if Denver takes care of business it should be a convincing win.

Anybody know what the line is?

GO BRONCOS!!!

T.K.O.
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
have,nt we been losing alot of those"should wins" the last couple of years?
i think we will win but i doubt there are gonna be many should wins on our schedule this year:beer:

Day1BroncoFan
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
If the D plays like they played last week and the O can start catching passes and stop getting penalties we should do fine.

GO BRONCOS!!!

dogfish
09-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I'll be watching the game with a bunch of family that's originally from Cleveland, so I hope they win! It will be absolutely BRUTAL to take if the Broncos lose!

a quick reminder of "the drive" and "the fumble" should shut 'em up pretty quick if they start to get uppity. . . .

T.K.O.
09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
a quick reminder of "the drive" and "the fumble" should shut 'em up pretty quick if they start to get uppity. . . .

and you can tell them kyle orton has never lost a game to an ohio team while a bronco !!!!!;)

Kaylore
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm worried this game will be decided on whether or not we can contain Cribbs on kick offs. Hopefully we can. I agree that running more is good.

dogfish
09-16-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm worried this game will be decided on whether or not we can contain Cribbs on kick offs. Hopefully we can. I agree that running more is good.

if we don't score more than we did last week, he's not going to have many opportunities. . . . :lol:

:fear:

broncophan
09-17-2009, 01:25 AM

You can say the same thing about the bengals.....
Throw out the gift we got last Sunday.....and we lose.
The Broncos are not THAT much better than the Bengal,Browns....or any other NFL team imo.....except maybe Detroit

Alot of games to be played.....but I would not be surprised if the bengals and browns have a better record than the broncos...

Dirk
09-17-2009, 06:24 AM
The Broncos are not THAT much better than the Bengal,Browns....or any other NFL team imo.....except maybe Detroit.

Let's not forget St. Louis....the Rams may be the worst team in the league this year!

I think the Broncos will have their hands full this weekend. I think that they will win because of the STs and Defense but they will have their hands full.

T.K.O.
09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
the broncos will leave a giant "skid mark" on the mile high turf.....formally known as the browns !:D

Reidman
09-17-2009, 11:55 AM
We should see a little better production from the offense this weekend. Like somebody said in another thread, it was the first time a lot of those guys have played together in a real game situation ie, Moreno, Marshall... with a solid week of practice under their belts and working out the mistakes they made, they should gel much better.

Defense and ST will be key...

Shutdown
09-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Now that is just plain mean... :aetsch: :beer: