PDA

View Full Version : Clearly, running is the worst possible thing for this team

Northman
11-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Discuss.

aberdien
11-23-2014, 07:42 PM
So we're running the ball more like some of you wanted. It got us a field goal and a 3 and out. Maybe running the ball isn't the answer?

Discuss.

Tned
11-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Discuss.

#Sanderson

I Eat Staples
11-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Discuss.

Hey, I'm glad to be wrong about that. I'm still not convinced we can sustain such an effective running game all season, but I hope they prove me wrong and ride whatever works all the way to the superbowl.

aberdien
11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
I also need to find somewhere to post this but I don't wanna make a new thread so i'm gonna post it here:

This team is done.

It's over.

Reasons why people should be free to be critical in the gameday thread, but why people should stop being overly reactionary.

swaiy
11-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Virgil Green

Joker56
11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
C.J.

Northman
11-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Hey, I'm glad to be wrong about that. I'm still not convinced we can sustain such an effective running game all season, but I hope they prove me wrong and ride whatever works all the way to the superbowl.

No team can always run it week in and week out. Thats why opposing coaches gameplan. But... it helps if you run it more than 9 times.

At this point, a healthy balanced offense (in this case us) should be giving CJ at least 21-25 touches a game and probably 5-10 touches to the other backs who spell him. Obviously, that is best case scenario as that means you cant turn it over multiple times and get down by 3 and 4 scores. Defense also needs to do their part but i think we saw today that if we have the right type of play calling and balance that it keeps the opposing defenses guessing and allows Manning to stay upright and do his thing.

Slick
11-23-2014, 08:14 PM
2Wr sets with Cornick and Green were boss today.

Northman
11-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I also need to find somewhere to post this but I don't wanna make a new thread so i'm gonna post it here:

Reasons why people should be free to be critical in the gameday thread, but why people should stop being overly reactionary.

Its fandom, i can understand the frustration with this team. Im easily as guilty as anyone but im not going to change just because it bothers a few posters. My emotion runs high during the games and i react to what i see happening and how i feel we are/should be playing. Some people shrug it off and other people dont. We shouldnt be trying to police people for discussing the game how they want in the thread.

Northman
11-23-2014, 08:16 PM

The max protect worked beautifully.

Slick
11-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Its fandom, i can understand the frustration with this team. Im easily as guilty as anyone but im not going to change just because it bothers a few posters. My emotion runs high during the games and i react to what i see happening and how i feel we are/should be playing. Some people shrug it off and other people dont. We shouldnt be trying to police people for discussing the game how they want in the thread.

You were mellow and level headed in the gameday thread today, babycakes.

Northman
11-23-2014, 08:20 PM
You were mellow and level headed in the gameday thread today, babycakes.

I was, as i have been the last couple of weeks. I got tired of people harassing me for actually speaking my mind so i figured better off to just post sporadically here and there. Sucks that i have to basically mute myself but the drama that it apparently creates wasnt worth it. lmao

I Eat Staples
11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
No team can always run it week in and week out. Thats why opposing coaches gameplan. But... it helps if you run it more than 9 times.

At this point, a healthy balanced offense (in this case us) should be giving CJ at least 21-25 touches a game and probably 5-10 touches to the other backs who spell him. Obviously, that is best case scenario as that means you cant turn it over multiple times and get down by 3 and 4 scores. Defense also needs to do their part but i think we saw today that if we have the right type of play calling and balance that it keeps the opposing defenses guessing and allows Manning to stay upright and do his thing.

Can't argue with that.

I was used to our running game being ineffective which is why I thought we were basically wasting plays on it. But if we can run even half as well as we did today, I'm all for running the ball more. There's no doubt that an effective running game will help our offense.

Simple Jaded
11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Not being able to stop the run is what got Denver's defense sideways, imo.

Cugel
11-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Virgil Green

That's your difference in a nut-shell. The Broncos have won every single game he's played.

Ziggy
11-23-2014, 09:15 PM
This is why I think that they may let Julius Thomas go in free agency. He's a star TE, but he makes this team completely one dimensional with his blocking. While you never want to lose a talent like him for just a 3rd round pick, the Broncos have a lot of other players to sign. DT, Pot Roast, Chris Harris are all higher priorities in my book.

Slick
11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
This is why I think that may let Julius Thomas go in free agency. He's a star TE, but he makes this team completely one dimensional with his blocking. While you never want to lose a talent like him for just a 3rd round pick, the Broncos have a lot of other players to sign. DT, Pot Roast, Chris Harris are all higher priorities in my book.

They looked like a complete offense with him on the bench. They can be deadly when he's healthy and the passing offense is clicking. It's going to be a tough decision.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Virgil Green

At least we can all agree that JT's blocking ability doesn't matter. :confused:

Simple Jaded
11-23-2014, 09:49 PM
This is why I think that they may let Julius Thomas go in free agency. He's a star TE, but he makes this team completely one dimensional with his blocking. While you never want to lose a talent like him for just a 3rd round pick, the Broncos have a lot of other players to sign. DT, Pot Roast, Chris Harris are all higher priorities in my book.
I think Potroast showed his value when the Broncos had Jackson in there with Sly, getting pushed around.

Joel
11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
They were; did anyone have a count on how many of our runs were out of that vs. a 2-OT/1-TE set? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with ANYTHING that improves our running performance, but the goal's not just running in itself: A big (perhaps THE biggest) part of it is running to establish the pass by drawing a safety down into the box, forcing LBs to stay close to the line instead of squatting on underneath routes and slowing defensive linemen who can't just sprint for the QB because they must keep looking over their shoulders to make sure a RB's not breaking free into the secondary.

Even an unspectacular running game that plods along for a mere 4-5 yds/att regular as clockwork will do that, and there's nothing more maddening than watching an offense nickel and dime their way downfield against your D, never gaining much, but always gaining enough to keep the chains moving on a 6-7:00 drive that exhausts your defense while theirs stays fresh. HOWEVER, in terms of opening up the the long ball, if the only we can run is to put in a 3rd OT as a TE, that's one less deep receiving threat, and likewise when we go to a 2nd TE.

My point is, it does no good to draw 8 men into the box if we only have a pair of WRs left to run routes: They're STILL outnumbered in the secondary (though not as badly as when all the LBs are playing short zones with the CBs in man and both safeties running a Cover 2 or even 3.) And in terms of playcalling, if we must go to a 3rd OT and/or 2nd TE EVERY time we run, we're back to telegraphing playcalls to make the DCs life easy. We must be able to pass AND run out of the same formations to have consistent success; the Dolphins did a lot of that with great success in the first half, as did St. Louis last week.

Hawgdriver
11-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Virgil Green

is the oil that lets you mix the peanut butter into creamy, frothy goodness. CJ PB&J's all day.

GEM
11-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Virgil Green

He really is pretty damn good at blocking. I like how he looks at blocking....to move a man against his will and enjoy it.

GEM
11-24-2014, 10:46 AM

It's a gameday thread, emotion should be expected. Yours sometimes makes me laugh, so thank you for that. :D

GEM
11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
They looked like a complete offense with him on the bench. They can be deadly when he's healthy and the passing offense is clicking. It's going to be a tough decision.

I think we see how it looks with Virgil and Julius back. I would hate to lose his pass catching abilities just to have Cornick on the field. The first 3 games were much better than when Virgil went out...I don't think it's how bad Julius is more than how good Virgil is.

GEM
11-24-2014, 11:14 AM
They were; did anyone have a count on how many of our runs were out of that vs. a 2-OT/1-TE set? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with ANYTHING that improves our running performance, but the goal's not just running in itself: A big (perhaps THE biggest) part of it is running to establish the pass by drawing a safety down into the box, forcing LBs to stay close to the line instead of squatting on underneath routes and slowing defensive linemen who can't just sprint for the QB because they must keep looking over their shoulders to make sure a RB's not breaking free into the secondary.

Even an unspectacular running game that plods along for a mere 4-5 yds/att regular as clockwork will do that, and there's nothing more maddening than watching an offense nickel and dime their way downfield against your D, never gaining much, but always gaining enough to keep the chains moving on a 6-7:00 drive that exhausts your defense while theirs stays fresh. HOWEVER, in terms of opening up the the long ball, if the only we can run is to put in a 3rd OT as a TE, that's one less deep receiving threat, and likewise when we go to a 2nd TE.

My point is, it does no good to draw 8 men into the box if we only have a pair of WRs left to run routes: They're STILL outnumbered in the secondary (though not as badly as when all the LBs are playing short zones with the CBs in man and both safeties running a Cover 2 or even 3.) And in terms of playcalling, if we must go to a 3rd OT and/or 2nd TE EVERY time we run, we're back to telegraphing playcalls to make the DCs life easy. We must be able to pass AND run out of the same formations to have consistent success; the Dolphins did a lot of that with great success in the first half, as did St. Louis last week.

If it's the best they can do with who they have, what else do you want them to do?

Northman
11-24-2014, 11:36 AM
It's a gameday thread, emotion should be expected. Yours sometimes makes me laugh, so thank you for that. :D

I try my best. Intentional or not. :lol:

underrated29
11-24-2014, 12:55 PM
I was, as i have been the last couple of weeks. I got tired of people harassing me for actually speaking my mind so i figured better off to just post sporadically here and there. Sucks that i have to basically mute myself but the drama that it apparently creates wasnt worth it. lmao

Its always worth it northy, Always.
Speak your mind in the gameday thread. Let your thoughts soar like points against bob slowicks defense.

Northman
11-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Its always worth it northy, Always.
Speak your mind in the gameday thread. Let your thoughts soar like points against bob slowicks defense.

Well, to be honest it gets a bit draining having to deal with people who would rather talk about me rather than the game so the current status works well for me.