PDA

View Full Version : The five worst teams in NFL history

FanInAZ
11-21-2014, 06:12 PM
With a Week 12 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs, the 2014 Oakland Raiders narrowly avoided making this dubious list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/five-worst-teams-nfl-history-070206447.html

The Raiders may no longer be eligible for the bottom 2, but they're in the running for bottom 5.

DenBronx
11-21-2014, 06:32 PM
The year we won 2 games under McDs watch wasnt good either.

Fkcuin lil dikhole

WTE
11-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Before watching the video I fully expected my Rod Rust Patriots to be on that list.

And they were. Ahhhhhh memories.

Valar Morghulis
11-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Before watching the video I fully expected my Rod Rust Patriots to be on that list.

i cant be arsed watching it - could you just list them for me please

OrangeHoof
11-21-2014, 07:52 PM
No doubt the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions head the list.
The expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers were probably next.
(side note: all-time favorite sports quote. Reporter asks Bucs' head coach John McKay "What do you think of your team's execution?" McKay: "I think it's a great idea.")
The 1952 Dallas Texans ought to be on the list because they were so bad they moved, ran out of money then folded before the season ended.
Almost any Saints team for the first 20 years.
The 1973 Houston Oilers.

Dreadnought
04-20-2015, 01:15 PM
No doubt the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions head the list.
The expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers were probably next.
(side note: all-time favorite sports quote. Reporter asks Bucs' head coach John McKay "What do you think of your team's execution?" McKay: "I think it's a great idea.")
The 1952 Dallas Texans ought to be on the list because they were so bad they moved, ran out of money then folded before the season ended.
Almost any Saints team for the first 20 years.
The 1973 Houston Oilers.

1. 1976 Bucs
2. 2008 Lions
3. 1990 Patriots
4. 1991 Colts
5. 1981 Colts

Its a very solid list. I have no qualms about any of those choices, as each and every one of those teams was truly heinous. Orangehoof also raises a very excellent point in the (late) 1952 Texans, and I don't think its worthwhile to look back past the AAFC-NFL merger.

The 1970 Pats were pretty brutal, as were the 1960 Cowboys (0-11-1). My own dark horse candidate is the 1-12-1 1961 Redskins

The 1961 Redskins were notable in being the very last all white NFL team...not that they were prejudiced or anything like that, they just couldn't find any black guys talented enough to play NFL football. And they really really tried. Honest. They were last in the League in both offense and defense, and only won their single solitary game on the last weekend of the season against the second year Dallas Cowboys. they were shut out three times, and scored 6 or less points three additional times. Redskins QB Norm Snead was sacked 49 times in a 14 game season. Both starting RB's averaged under 3 YPC. They sucked at everything football related.

The NFL and U.S. government threatened legal action against the owner George Preston Marshall if he didn't desegregate the team by 1962, and Pete Rozelle went so far as to help engineer a trade with the Browns for All Pro halfback Bobby Mitchell to force Marshall's hand

FanInAZ
04-20-2015, 04:50 PM

You won 1 game in '91; that was against the Cards. One of the local sports commentators absolutely ripped the Cards for loosing that game, and then he lost his press pass in retaliation for his criticisms.

Ahhhhh memories.

chazoe60
04-20-2015, 05:51 PM
The Raiders
The Chiefs
The Chargers X 2
The Chiefs
And
The Raiders

OrangeHoof
04-20-2015, 06:41 PM
The NFL and U.S. government threatened legal action against the owner George Preston Marshall if he didn't desegregate the team by 1962, and Pete Rozelle went so far as to help engineer a trade with the Browns for All Pro halfback Bobby Mitchell to force Marshall's hand

Sometime in the 1950s, before there was scouting, the NFL went like 30+ rounds in their drafts so it was customary for teams to draft family members and family friends in the late rounds because there were no good players left to choose that anyone knew of. Then came the Street & Smith's annual preview which listed a lot of names but didn't have many pictures. So one Redskins reporter nagged the team into making one of those late-round throwaway picks and he named some kid from a small college nobody had heard of. The shock came when the player showed up for training camp and was black, which was the intention of the reporter. I don't remember the whole story but I believe the black player turned out to be somebody good - for somebody else.