PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos' embattled offensive line determined to pass chemistry

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Never before had there been a locker-room scene like this. Not in the Broncos' locker room there hadn't.

Banged up by rugged opponents, playing new positions by order of the coaches, under siege of criticism, the Broncos' five starting offensive linemen took turns Thursday meeting with a media mob.

"I understand a lot of people are talking outside of here, but we can't allow ourselves to worry about that type of stuff," said Manny Ramirez, the Broncos' starting center until two weeks ago, when he became their starting right guard.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26982167/denver-broncos-embattled-offensive-line-determined-pass-chemistry

Joel
11-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Orlando Franklin, who drew the harshest of Schlereth's criticisms on ESPN radio, was the first to step up and own up to the heat.

"That's his job to sit in the media and critique what we did a couple days ago," Franklin said. "We do need to get better and we understand that, and we will get better for this team.
SERIOUSLY?! You're just gonna blow Schlereth off as a media talking head? That may be his job NOW, but he used to have YOURS—and won 3 SBs doing it; maybe you should listen, Orlando.

Unbelievable; I'm SO not gonna miss this guy next year.

Simple Jaded
11-21-2014, 07:44 PM
So we're good? Cool.

swaiy
11-21-2014, 08:27 PM
SERIOUSLY?! You're just gonna blow Schlereth off as a media talking head? That may be his job NOW, but he used to have YOURS—and won 3 SBs doing it; maybe you should listen, Orlando.

Unbelievable; I'm SO not gonna miss this guy next year.

What's he supposed to say lol?

"Instead of watching film and being coached up by the staff around me, constantly watch ESPN to see what they say about me."

I mean, unless Schlereth is about to get in there and teach him some solid technique, what does he so?

Joel
11-21-2014, 08:44 PM
What's he supposed to say lol?

"Instead of watching film and being coached up by the staff around me, constantly watch ESPN to see what they say about me."

I mean, unless Schlereth is about to get in there and teach him some solid technique, what does he so?
Heh, if only. No one forced Franklins response to comments by a former All Pro Broncos guard and three-time SB Champ. But IF he responds to valid criticism by one who knows firsthand, maybe dismissing Schlereth as a mere media mouth paid to TALK about how other people PLAY isn't the way to go. That's like Romo saying, "Sure, Aikman criticizes my play, but, y'know, he's just a commentator; that's his job."

MOtorboat
11-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Rage!

swaiy
11-21-2014, 08:55 PM
It's not you, it's me. It has to be. I don't understands why he is supposed to kiss Schlereths ass. Former all-pro OL. Meaning he isn't playing and his current job is being a part of the media.

I'm just gonna chalk this up as an "L" because there is no point in further trying to explain.

In fact, your response is so "out there" and mind boggling that I'd like to headbutt a unicorn.

Joel
11-21-2014, 08:59 PM
He's not supposed to kiss Schlereths ass, but has no place for the verbal equivalent of flipping him off either. Schlereth's paid his dues, not just as a player, nor even as a Bronco, but as an All Pro champion at Franklins position. He's forgotten more about that job than Franklin will ever know, and just called him out on it, but all Franklin's got is "he's just a media guy"? That's seriously weak, man.

NightTrainLayne
11-21-2014, 11:43 PM
As fans we need to just resign ourselves to the fact that our running game is lost for the season. With the new collective bargaining almost completely eliminating full pads practices for most teams by this point in the season, the team just doesn't have the opportunity to improve.

You simply cannot sufficiently practice run blocking schemes without going full-speed and in pads. We can be upset at the coaches, but the reality is that their hands are tied. They can run through in shorts, but that's not going to be enough, and there's not much else for the coaches to do at this point.

Joel
11-21-2014, 11:51 PM
Lots of other teams find a way. If NE turned the hodge podge interior line they started with into a conference-leading 8-2 team that effortlessly ran all over Indy with a no name RB last week, why can't we?

Simple Jaded
11-22-2014, 01:23 AM
I like Stink, always has have, I remember when Broncos fans booed him on national TV because he had the nerve to say that Tim Tebow couldn't play dead in a western. Now he's an authority on the Broncos situation.

Timmy!
11-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Headbutt a unicorn....I like that.

As for the line, they know they have played like crap, play calling hasn't helped. The fans know. The media knows. The coaches know it. Elway knows it. Everybody ******* knows. Either they turn it around, or they don't. It starts Sunday. No amount of ridiculous crap on this forum will make a difference. All we can do is hope they at least shown some fight and crush skulls.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-22-2014, 11:34 AM
I like Stink, always has have, I remember when Broncos fans booed him on national TV because he had the nerve to say that Tim Tebow couldn't play dead in a western. Now he's an authority on the Broncos situation.

He also said the front seven was garbage 6-7 years ago.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-22-2014, 11:58 AM

He also said the front seven was garbage 6-7 years ago.

The sad part is, he was right. That was McDaniels' first year where we came out hot because Nolan had them playing well above their talent level (no points allowed in the second half in like 4 straight games) but faded down the stretch when we hit stiffer competition.

Joel
11-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Schlereth's a smart guy; wonder how he'd feel about coaching....

Cugel
11-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Well, he kinda did have a point about Tebow now, right? :laugh:

I got flamed and banned from the official Broncos forum for saying the same thing. It was considered "provocative" to insult God's anointed one by saying he couldn't throw a forward pass better than Garo Yepremian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61z0cfd5yGc).

He's being absurd though about firing the entire Broncos OL. They are going to keep LT Clady (signed a huge contract and they would have to have a top 10 pick to find a replacement); G Louis Vasquez (it's not his fault he can't play tackle - he's a G) and probably Manny Ramirez (he's decent if they leave him at G instead of moving him around and making him play C).

Clady has been playing hurt all year. He won't really be healthy until next season unfortunately. Orlando Franklin is almost certainly gone. They just can't afford to keep him even if they wanted to, with the need to negotiate new contracts for Von Miller, Chris Harris, Virgil Green, Nate Irving, Brandon Marshall, D.T, Julius Thomas, Rahim Moore, etc., etc.

Someone is going to give him $4 million. They did it for Zane Beadles after all, and how good was he?

So, next off-season they are going to do exactly what Elway SHOULD have done this past off-season: Sign a veteran starting FA C and RT. Then they'll let Franklin walk and have a lineup of: LT - Clady, LG Manny Ramirez, C - Veteran Free Agent, RG - Louis Vasquez, RT - Veteran FA.

Simple Jaded
11-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Fwiw, the '15 FA linemen aren't that great, in an ironic twist, Orlando Franklin might be one of the better RT's AND LG's available.

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2014, 04:04 PM
As fans we need to just resign ourselves to the fact that our running game is lost for the season. With the new collective bargaining almost completely eliminating full pads practices for most teams by this point in the season, the team just doesn't have the opportunity to improve.

You simply cannot sufficiently practice run blocking schemes without going full-speed and in pads. We can be upset at the coaches, but the reality is that their hands are tied. They can run through in shorts, but that's not going to be enough, and there's not much else for the coaches to do at this point.

Well. .. . what the hell do I know.

However, it's only two games. Miami had to be surprised by our game-plan, and KC is terrible at defending the run. What hapens when we see a good defense, who is prepared for the run game?

Up Next: Buffalo. If we can continue this ground and pound game against Buffalo I can really start to buy in. Buffalo is the #5 defense overall, and #7 against the run. They will not be surprised when we try to run it, and have two games to review every run we will throw up against them. I hope to see us continue this balanced effort with effect.

Buff
12-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Well. .. . what the hell do I know.

However, it's only two games. Miami had to be surprised by our game-plan, and KC is terrible at defending the run. What hapens when we see a good defense, who is prepared for the run game?

Up Next: Buffalo. If we can continue this ground and pound game against Buffalo I can really start to buy in. Buffalo is the #5 defense overall, and #7 against the run. They will not be surprised when we try to run it, and have two games to review every run we will throw up against them. I hope to see us continue this balanced effort with effect.

In your defense, I think it's nothing short of monumental how we've basically overhauled our offensive style midseason. I think Peyton Manning will look back on that Rams game as when he was forced to loosen his grip on the offense because he no longer always represented the first and best option.

I think Troy Renck has made a good point that the real test of this new philosophy will come when the running game is getting stifled early against a good run defense - will they continue to stick with it?

Another interesting subplot out of all this - I think it's taken Manning/Gase out of their playcalling comfort zone. In the past, they always had a route combination to run against every conceivable defense... But now I think they're having to challenge themselves to run against fronts we would have previously passed against. So I think there is still some self-discovery happening with this offense, which is good and bad... I think there is still untapped potential once we realize how to capitalize on our new identity; but I think there is also some uncomfortably/uncertainty that Manning isn't used to at this stage in his career.

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2014, 05:34 PM
In your defense, I think it's nothing short of monumental how we've basically overhauled our offensive style midseason. I think Peyton Manning will look back on that Rams game as when he was forced to loosen his grip on the offense because he no longer always represented the first and best option.

I think Troy Renck has made a good point that the real test of this new philosophy will come when the running game is getting stifled early against a good run defense - will they continue to stick with it?

Another interesting subplot out of all this - I think it's taken Manning/Gase out of their playcalling comfort zone. In the past, they always had a route combination to run against every conceivable defense... But now I think they're having to challenge themselves to run against fronts we would have previously passed against. So I think there is still some self-discovery happening with this offense, which is good and bad... I think there is still untapped potential once we realize how to capitalize on our new identity; but I think there is also some uncomfortably/uncertainty that Manning isn't used to at this stage in his career.

Agreed. That's what I was trying to convey in my post as well, and you did it 100% better. A couple of games doesn't completely sell me on it. What will happen when we are challenged by someone that can stuff the run for a quarter or a half?

In my "Greatest Strength/Greatest Weakness" thread I was trying to draw out the point that eventually Manning is going to have to cede some of his fireworks for more reliable, ground and pound tactics in order to win the big one. Maybe this is the first few steps towards that. If so, I'm happy.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-01-2014, 08:08 PM
The thing is, if teams do stack up to stop the run, it plays right into Peyton's hands. One of the reasons the run is working is because we're committing to it for more than just a change of pace.

Before, we'd pass even if it wasn't working because we had no faith in the run. Now we can do both effectively and it makes us extremely dangerous. Few defenses are equally good vs the run and pass out of their base formation. They have to decide which to try to take away which opens them to the other. Both KC and Miami focused on the pass so we gashed them with the run. If Buffalo loads up to stop CJ, Peyton can take advantage.

BroncoJoe
12-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Don't forget it was this staff who was able to completely change how we game planned while switching between Orton and Tebow...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Don't forget it was this staff who was able to completely change how we game planned while switching between Orton and Tebow...

That's true, but we don't know how much McCoy was responsible for.

BroncoJoe
12-02-2014, 10:12 AM
That's true, but we don't know how much McCoy was responsible for.

I'd guess - knowing what we know about the organization - that it was a pretty collaborative approach. You probably meant Gase, not McCoy. Gase was the QB Coach at the time, McCoy was the OC.

Davii
12-02-2014, 10:35 AM

What's so monumental? It's not as though this is unprecedented, at least not for our head coach anyway. This is the reason people should trust Fox. After all, this is the second time he's completely revamped an offense mid-season...

Buff
12-02-2014, 10:46 AM
What's so monumental? It's not as though this is unprecedented, at least not for our head coach anyway. This is the reason people should trust Fox. After all, this is the second time he's completely revamped an offense mid-season...

I think it's monumental because Peyton Manning is our QB and he's essentially being asked to change a style that's worked for 15 years. To me it seems more like the offense has undergone a total philosophy shift more than it's been about "hey, let's run it a little bit more."

It's like we dabbled with it in Seattle, but then reverted back to our pass-heavy offense and only after the Rams game did we have the come to Jesus moment like "we've got to do some things differently."

Obviously the emergence of CJ Andersen has been a major factor as well.

tripp
12-02-2014, 10:51 AM

I thought Mike McCoy did a fantastic job doing that. Love him for it.

Traveler
12-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Why haven't they signed Incognito? :D ~sarcasm~