PDA

View Full Version : Adam Gase's game plan for Broncos offense focuses on running ball more

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Adam Gase always has understood the criticism that comes with his job as the Broncos' offensive coordinator.

"I think when you have a full year where you average 38 points a game and then all of a sudden you score seven, it's a shell-shock deal for you," Gase said Thursday.

Gase was a wunderkind coach in 2013 when, in his first try as offensive coordinator, the Broncos set an NFL season scoring record with 606 points, averaging 37.9 per game.

AND

Gase was tough on himself Thursday.

"The first thing I can do is run the ball more," Gase said.

full article - more than just stuff on Gase
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26982285/adam-gases-game-plan-broncos-offense-focuses-running

Northman
11-21-2014, 11:49 AM
What i dont understand is why it took them this long to come to this conclusion. Its baffling to me.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2014, 11:51 AM
What i dont understand is why it took them this long to come to this conclusion. Its baffling to me.

Is there a possibility that Peyton is changing some of the plays at the los? Guess we will never know unless either Gase or Peyton say so.

Northman
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Is there a possibility that Peyton is changing some of the plays at the los? Guess we will never know unless either Gase or Peyton say so.

Well, im sure that Peyton has the luxury to audible at the line. He's done it for years and he's a professional so im sure the coaching staff is confident in him to make good choices. But i wonder how that relationship is between Peyton and Fox. Like, who actually wears the pants there? Back in the day i can remember seeing a clip of Elway/Shanahan talking about a play and it was a 50/50 input type of deal. But going back to Indy it always seems like Manning has the final say when it comes to how he is coached, etc. Do i know that for sure? No. But i do wonder if maybe Fox is being too easy going with Peyton as too not rub his ego the wrong way. At some point the HC still has to be the HC. If the QB is constantly changing out of the original play and its not working than Fox needs to step up and force the issue. Same with Gase.

SR
11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
I take anything this coaching staff says with a grain of salt. How many times have we heard "we need to run it more" this season only to see the run abandoned when an established run game can still be accomplished? No shit you need to run the ball more Gase...you called TEN run plays last week. TEN!

Slick
11-21-2014, 01:29 PM
That's all fine and dandy but they have to run the ball effectively not just run for -2 yards or no gains simply to run the ball. We'll see. There's still time to right the ship even though I'm not feeling to good about it.

Joel
11-21-2014, 01:31 PM
We should've sprung for the billboard. :tongue:

The good news is this team only has one problem; the bad news is it's a BIG problem, and the coaches who needed three seasons and a SB beatdown to spot it have shown NO evidence they know how to fix it (just the opposite.)

Mike
11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
It's not so much just running the ball. It is creating an offense that keeps the defenses guessing and isn't predictable. We need to create a better more diverse gameplan.

Joel
11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Sure, we see him do it every week, practically every down. They said last year that Gase sends Manning two plays and lets him pick, which sounds a good approach. The real question we can never answer is how often Manning audibles BACK to the original play, and how many of his endless stream of signal calls are decoys and dummies. You know there are calls that mean "ignore everything I say after this" and "back to the original play," which is where personnel changes and poor execution really hurt us.

broncofaninfla
11-21-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm hoping the growing criticism of the offensive line fires them up and they start playing better.

weazel
11-21-2014, 02:41 PM
they can say anything they want but as long as Manning is the QB they aren't going to be running the ball much

SR
11-21-2014, 03:49 PM
That's all fine and dandy but they have to run the ball effectively not just run for -2 yards or no gains simply to run the ball. We'll see. There's still time to right the ship even though I'm not feeling to good about it.

It takes a back, a QB, and a line more than ten plays to learn the tendencies of a defense. Game film only gets you so far and that's why Shanny used to script the first dozen or so plays of each game.

tripp
11-21-2014, 04:04 PM
I'll be content so long as we don't try to throw a fade route to Tamme ever again. That was enough to make me pull my hair out. I would also like to see Juwan Thompson be used more for 2nd and short/3rd and short. I think he can be effective if used properly.

Joel
11-21-2014, 04:06 PM
they can say anything they want but as long as Manning is the QB they aren't going to be running the ball much
Mannings Colts teams had a 55/45 run/pass balance pretty much every year; in '05 (when they were the 14-2 #1 seed) it was almost dead even, 50/50. He also publicly said he called all those runs at the end of our 2012 playoff game; not his fault our line couldn't block any better than than now. Manning's not a pass-only QB: Denver's just a run-incapable offense.

underrated29
11-21-2014, 04:06 PM
I take anything this coaching staff says with a grain of salt. How many times have we heard "we need to run it more" this season only to see the run abandoned when an established run game can still be accomplished? No shit you need to run the ball more Gase...you called TEN run plays last week. TEN!

And i took hell when i said gase wasnt perfect.

I am worried that we are going to romp the fish by running and we will then not sign richie butthead. Then our OL will once again go back and suck ass and gase will only call passes once we hit a speed bump.

underrated29
11-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Mannings Colts teams had a 55/45 run/pass balance pretty much every year; in '05 (when they were the 14-2 #1 seed) it was almost dead even, 50/50. He also publicly said he called all those runs at the end of our 2012 playoff game; not his fault our line couldn't block any better than than now. Manning's not a pass-only QB: Denver's just a run-incapable offense.

Exactly. we werent a pass only team last year. Knowshon had nearly 1600 all purpose yards!

Joel
11-21-2014, 04:22 PM
There may well be folks in Denver who don't grasp the basic concept of "run to establish the pass" or "run 'em out of Cover 2," but Manning's not among them; his knowledge of both the games strategy and history is too deep and broad to miss something that basic, or buy into the "passing fancy" that the new rules make running obsolete. The passing league makes teams more rather than less likely to drop 7-8 guys in coverage or send the house on a blitz, so it's more important than ever to find ways to deter that.

It needn't be spectacular (we have an elite passing game to hit home runs) but CONSISTENT running simply creates too many passing opportunities that flat don't EXIST otherwise. It slows the pass rush because defensive linemen must look over their shoulder, prevents Cover 2 and 3 because it forces a safety down into the box and—perhaps most importantly for our spread offense—forces LBs to, like, BACK the LINE by plugging holes, so they can't all squat on underneath routes so there's 4 DBs left to play those deep Cover 2s and Seattles beloved Cover 3. Manning knows all that, and acts accordingly.

He just can't block for his RBs, nor keep MLBs and safeties up the gut out of his face on passes. The NFL's not a 6-man league; I miss the Shanahan/Alex Gibbs Broncos who knew that well enough to win SBs.

NightTrainLayne
11-21-2014, 05:25 PM

Exactly. Just as a fun coincidence, the article talking about this transitioned directly from Gase saying we needed to run the ball more, to DT talking about breaking a receiving record. . .

spikerman
11-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Obviously, running the ball effectively would be great, but even if they're not effective early they need to keep trying - if for no other reason to make the Dolphins have to defend the possibility.

silkamilkamonico
11-21-2014, 06:35 PM

If there is, Gase needs to put a stop to that. For as great as Manning is, sometimes he needs to let his team play too. I was thinking, Brady/McDaniels certainly run the ball, and they have been about as spotty as we have all year. For as great as Brady is I bet there's times throughout the game he isn't overruling McDaniels run calls.

I wonder if Manning is so dedicated on running his offense that Gase won't stand up to him.

Also, will be interesting to see if they even make an attemtp to run the ball. We've heard this before from them.

Joel
11-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Obviously, running the ball effectively would be great, but even if they're not effective early they need to keep trying - if for no other reason to make the Dolphins have to defend the possibility.
That's the problem though: As long as we're only getting 3.7 yds/att, they don't HAVE to defend the possibility even IF we keep doing it. They can just keep selling out on the pass and ignoring play-action because, hey, even if it's NOT a fake, so what if they give up 2 yds or less? No DC in his right mind will divert forces from stopping PFM and historys best passing attack to stop THAT.

Just plugging away's not enough: We must run EFFECTIVELY to legitimize the threat. We don't have to bust 20-30 yd TDs twice per half; just consistently "matriculate the ball down the field" until we force a safety to come up and stack the box, LBs to come up and plug holes, and defensive linemen to look over their shoulder rather than everyone charging Manning or double covering our WRs.

Simple Jaded
11-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Exactly. we werent a pass only team last year. Knowshon had nearly 1600 all purpose yards!

I agree, it's all the RB's fault. Good point.

MOtorboat
11-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Won't mean shit if the players don't execute.

Joel
11-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Won't mean shit if the players don't execute.
True, but if a "top rated" RT and a bunch of All Pros in historys best offense don't execute, what's that imply? A bunch of elite players forgot HOW to play? If only we had someone paid to correct that mistake....

broken12
11-21-2014, 09:01 PM
The o line needs to step up like Saturday did, let's just run the ****n ball

MOtorboat
11-21-2014, 09:04 PM
True, but if a "top rated" RT and a bunch of All Pros in historys best offense don't execute, what's that imply? A bunch of elite players forgot HOW to play? If only we had someone paid to correct that mistake....

Get out the pitch forks.

CrazyHorse
11-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Is Virgil Green back yet? He would definitely help.