PDA

View Full Version : Favorite burger chain map

weazel
11-20-2014, 12:42 PM
So this map is supposed to show the favorite burger chain by area...

http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1357751/size/tl-horizontal_main/mapping-america-s-most-popular-burger-chains

OrangeHoof
11-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Makes sense. Whataburgers are very Texan - big slabs of meat, western-style trimmings and sauces. Not much else. My favorite is the A-1 Thick 'n Hardy which is a double cheeseburger with chopped onions and A-1 sauce. Yum.

Austin has this fixation about being Californian in every way so all the Cali burger chains are out here now. Not impressed.

I ate Hardee's when I lived briefly in the South and while the burgers aren't anything particularly special, I love the in-your-face ad campaigns against health nazis and environazis. It's as if they are saying "we love eating big, juicy hamburgers and f-you if you don't like it." Gotta love the companies that don't cower in fear.

Slick
11-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Big fan of Whataburger, White Castles, Hardees $6 dollar burger and 5 Guys.

Carl's Jr is basically the same thing as Hardees I think.

I haven't had Krystal or In and Out. Would love to try them.

The burgers here suck. The beef is always too dry.

DenBronx
11-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Makes sense. Whataburgers are very Texan - big slabs of meat, western-style trimmings and sauces. Not much else. My favorite is the A-1 Thick 'n Hardy which is a double cheeseburger with chopped onions and A-1 sauce. Yum.

Austin has this fixation about being Californian in every way so all the Cali burger chains are out here now. Not impressed.

I ate Hardee's when I lived briefly in the South and while the burgers aren't anything particularly special, I love the in-your-face ad campaigns against health nazis and environazis. It's as if they are saying "we love eating big, juicy hamburgers and f-you if you don't like it." Gotta love the companies that don't cower in fear.

Texas has In n Out?

weazel
11-20-2014, 04:53 PM

haven't had Whataburger yet, going to try it when Im in Florida, as well as Habitburger.

Yes Carl's Jr is basically Hardees with a little more burgers on the menu and a lot of them have Green Burrito as well.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2014, 05:08 PM
That's weird because I just do't believe our area's favorite burger is Steak-n-Shake.

Davii
11-20-2014, 05:47 PM
In-n-out FTW IMO.

However, if I have to pick a favorite, it will be a local place, non-chain, every time.

SR
11-20-2014, 05:48 PM
In-n-out FTW IMO. However, if I have to pick a favorite, it will be a local place, non-chain, every time.

KGB FTW. Not a chain but amazing food.

NightTrainLayne
11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
In-n-out FTW IMO.

However, if I have to pick a favorite, it will be a local place, non-chain, every time.

High-Fived for local.

From that list, I have to pick Whataburger. They have an awesome green chile cheeseburger from time to time. Great breakfasts too.

Sonic, Five Guys, In-N-Out, and Steak & Shake are near the top of the list as well.

BroncoJoe
11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Smashburger is probably our favorite.

Davii
11-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Smashburger is probably our favorite.

Haven't been. Not burger, but local, when I was out visiting Dad last time I went to a cafe in castle rock, I think it was called just castle cafe, best fried chicken ever. I give it 6 stars.

NightTrainLayne
11-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Haven't been. Not burger, but local, when I was out visiting Dad last time I went to a cafe in castle rock, I think it was called just castle cafe, best fried chicken ever. I give it 6 stars.

If you ever make it to Oklahoma, let me know. OKC is like mecca for fried chicken, but the best spot is a little bar out in Okarche, Ok. Oldest bar in Oklahoma, and the menu is pretty much just fried chicken and fried okra with a few other sides. They give you a piece of wax paper, and some napkins/paper towels. Order up a beer, chicken and okra, and they serve it with white bread, and pickles.

Best I've ever had. Eischen's Bar is the name. They were on Diners Drive-ins and Dives a few years ago. I was proud that I'd been there many times before that jackass showed up.

weazel
11-20-2014, 05:59 PM
I dont have a favorite non-chain burger in my city but when Im in Calgary I love Boogies Burgers.

OrangeHoof
11-20-2014, 06:00 PM
You'll notice the major American chains (McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's) don't show up much even though they are making money by the boatload. I don't think they are loved as much as they are omnipresent.

Yes, there's an In N Out within walking distance from where I live. Built this past summer. The first two weeks, traffic was out the door and down the block. Now, it's a big yawn. Rarely see more than a few cars there.

I also agree on local burger places. Particularly barbecue places will make some terrific burgers.

weazel
11-20-2014, 06:02 PM
You'll notice the major American chains (McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's) don't show up much even though they are making money by the boatload. I don't think they are loved as much as they are omnipresent.

Yes, there's an In N Out within walking distance from where I live. Built this past summer. The first two weeks, traffic was out the door and down the block. Now, it's a big yawn. Rarely see more than a few cars there.

I also agree on local burger places. Particularly barbecue places will make some terrific burgers.

Thats how Five Guys was here, I love that place though

DenBronx
11-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Lol @ In n Out being a big yawn. You guys dont know hamburgers.

In-N-Out FTW!!

MileHighCrew
11-20-2014, 07:05 PM
I tired Krystal in Georgia, it was disgusting. Maybe the worst burger I ever ate. Made McDonalds seem gourmet

tomjonesrocks
11-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Yes, there's an In N Out within walking distance from where I live. Built this past summer. The first two weeks, traffic was out the door and down the block. Now, it's a big yawn.

I've never seen one anywhere that wasn't packed for lunch. Never.

Davii
11-20-2014, 10:57 PM
I've never seen one anywhere that wasn't packed for lunch. Never.

Yeah, I would have to say that in-n-out is screwing up somehow. Every one I've ever seen is packed the entire time they're open. I've been to in-n-outs in cali, arizona, and nevada, every one of them had a wait at the drive thru and inside.

I know the reason they don't spread much is they won't open a franchise more than a day drive from a distribution center so they can maintain freshness. Is it possible they broke this rule and have a less than ideal experience at that restaurant?

NightTrainLayne
11-20-2014, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I would have to say that in-n-out is screwing up somehow. Every one I've ever seen is packed the entire time they're open. I've been to in-n-outs in cali, arizona, and nevada, every one of them had a wait at the drive thru and inside.

I know the reason they don't spread much is they won't open a franchise more than a day drive from a distribution center so they can maintain freshness. Is it possible they broke this rule and have a less than ideal experience at that restaurant?

I'm just guessing, but I think the folks in Texas just don't really know about them in the same way. They're brand new, and if you've lived in Texas your whole life, it's a new-fangled, left-coast deal.

I've eaten a two in Texas, and they were quite good. But never had a wait, or trouble finding a table. But go to the Whataburger down the street, and it's packed.

Pudge
11-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I've seen a few discussing in my absence about burger joints. I just had five guys tonight and I can positively say it's the best. And you don't ever have to worry about one of those nerds with peanut allergies showing up

aberdien
11-20-2014, 11:10 PM
My goal in life is to go to an In & Out.

The only thing that beats a good burger is a good steak.

CrazyHorse
11-20-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm in MN and my favorite is Hardee's. There's not too many around though.
Also I can't stand Culver's. Dairy Queen is superior in every way except maybe fries.

aberdien
11-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Gimme a list of the best burger joints in OKC for the next time i'm in the area, NTL.

Slick
11-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Fuddruckers anyone? I used to like to put my own toppings on my burger.

BroncoJoe
11-21-2014, 08:08 AM

HA! That's a customer of mine. Their burgers are very tasty too.

CoachChaz
11-21-2014, 08:51 AM

haven't had Whataburger yet, going to try it when Im in Florida, as well as Habitburger.

Yes Carl's Jr is basically Hardees with a little more burgers on the menu and a lot of them have Green Burrito as well.

Good luck. Whataburgers are only in the Texas vicinity (TX, OK, NM, etc).

In and Out is great and the ones in the Dallas area still stay pretty busy...but Texans tend to prefer Whataburger. Perhaps rightfully so. In a side by side, I think I'd choose Whataburger over In N Out. Those two would easily be at the top of my major chain list.

OrangeHoof
11-21-2014, 01:19 PM

I enjoy Fuddruckers but it's a different experience. Not a fast food place and doesn't have a drive-thru. But the burgers are big and you choose how you accessorize them.

PatriotsGuy
11-21-2014, 01:22 PM
I enjoy Fuddruckers but it's a different experience. Not a fast food place and doesn't have a drive-thru. But the burgers are big and you choose how you accessorize them.

I have never tried it even though there is one near my place. I should go.

weazel
11-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Good luck. Whataburgers are only in the Texas vicinity (TX, OK, NM, etc).

In and Out is great and the ones in the Dallas area still stay pretty busy...but Texans tend to prefer Whataburger. Perhaps rightfully so. In a side by side, I think I'd choose Whataburger over In N Out. Those two would easily be at the top of my major chain list.

incorrect...

weazel
11-21-2014, 01:39 PM

they all closed down up here. I didnt mind them but everyone likes Harveys up here (I dont), they're the same kind of thing.

Thnikkaman
11-21-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm pleased that Culvers dominates the area I'm in. The thing that confuses me is that there are no White Castles or Carl's Jrs in the pink areas of Wisconsin and Iowa. There are plenty of Hardees though.

I would say that a Culvers burger is lesser than an In-N-Out burger, but on par with 5 guys. 5 Guys beats Culver's in the fry department though.

Slick
11-21-2014, 02:01 PM

I threw it out there because it is a chain, but you're right in that it isn't a fast food joint. These guys that started talking local places are cheating, they're not chains.

Slick
11-21-2014, 02:02 PM
they all closed down up here. I didnt mind them but everyone likes Harveys up here (I dont), they're the same kind of thing.

Creating your own toppings was fun depending on the mood or craving you had. Harvey's uses that same model?

weazel
11-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Creating your own toppings was fun depending on the mood or craving you had. Harvey's uses that same model?

yep, but the burgers are not very good. Dont confuse Harveys with Hardees.

Slick
11-21-2014, 02:13 PM
yep, but the burgers are not very good. Dont confuse Harveys with Hardees.

I wasn't. Hardees burgers aren't bad at all. Not as fast as a McD or Booger Fling but more like a restaurant burger. I'll have to ask my Canadian clients what they think about Harveys.

PatriotsGuy
11-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I wasn't. Hardees burgers aren't bad at all. Not as fast as a McD or Booger Fling but more like a restaurant burger. I'll have to ask my Canadian clients what they think about Harveys.

I liked Harvey's alright. I haven't eaten there in like 12 years or so though.

WTE
11-21-2014, 03:54 PM
I liked Harvey's alright. I haven't eaten there in like 12 years or so though.

Yeah when was the last time you've been to Canada Pags?

PatriotsGuy
11-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Yeah when was the last time you've been to Canada Pags?

Like 3 or 4 years now. My mom is getting pissed!

WTE
11-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Like 3 or 4 years now. My mom is getting pissed!

Does your wife like the long drive?

elsid13
11-21-2014, 04:07 PM
I miss when 5 Guys wasn't a chain. One of the original store was just down the street from me and it was outstanding. They are still good but old places just had a charm of their own.

DenBronx
11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Lol @ Texans not knowing how to order their IN N OUT animal style.

NightTrainLayne
11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Gimme a list of the best burger joints in OKC for the next time i'm in the area, NTL.

Next time you're in the area? I'm confused. Aren't you in Norman?

I hear that Nic's Grill is the absolute best. But I've never been able to get by there at the right time. They're on N. Penn, only open for lunch, and you better get there by 11:00 and stand in line. They shut down at like 1:30, and if you're in line but haven't ordered yet, tough luck.

Tucker's is okay in OKC. They are trying to knock off the El Reno onion-fried burger, but don't quite get it right. For that, you have to actually go to El Reno and hit one of the joints there (Sid's, Robert's Grill, or Johnnies). My favorite of the three is Sids. But again, tough to find a table at lunch-time, but well worth it.

Irma's Burger Shack is great too. NW 63rd, just on the North side of the Chesapeake campus, or they have another location in Mid-Town on Classen.

aberdien
11-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Next time you're in the area? I'm confused. Aren't you in Norman?

I hear that Nic's Grill is the absolute best. But I've never been able to get by there at the right time. They're on N. Penn, only open for lunch, and you better get there by 11:00 and stand in line. They shut down at like 1:30, and if you're in line but haven't ordered yet, tough luck.

Tucker's is okay in OKC. They are trying to knock off the El Reno onion-fried burger, but don't quite get it right. For that, you have to actually go to El Reno and hit one of the joints there (Sid's, Robert's Grill, or Johnnies). My favorite of the three is Sids. But again, tough to find a table at lunch-time, but well worth it.

Irma's Burger Shack is great too. NW 63rd, just on the North side of the Chesapeake campus, or they have another location in Mid-Town on Classen.

Nah, i'm out in Western OK until at least May.

I've heard about Nic's and have always wanted to go but I can never get any buddies to go with me. Sids sounds like the most convenient, so i'll go for that next time i'm there.

OrangeHoof
11-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Not sure I want to know. Didn't you Calis invent tossing salad?

weazel
11-21-2014, 06:27 PM
we have a restaurant in Canada called White Spot and they have a fast food chain called Triple O's. There aren't a ton of them but they are a copy on In n Out, the burgers taste and look the same.

DenBronx
11-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Not sure I want to know. Didn't you Calis invent tossing salad?

I was born in Houston, Texas. So don't go all Brokeback Mountain...

Texas wins in the BBQ department. Fast food burgers, not so much.

SR
11-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I was born in Houston, Texas. So don't go all Brokeback Mountain... Texas wins in the BBQ department. Fast food burgers, not so much.

I'll be moving to Houston in a few months

Valar Morghulis
11-21-2014, 07:04 PM
not heard of many of them

weazel
11-21-2014, 09:10 PM
not heard of many of them

Dave do you eat a lot of curried chicken?

NightTrainLayne
11-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Nah, i'm out in Western OK until at least May.

I've heard about Nic's and have always wanted to go but I can never get any buddies to go with me. Sids sounds like the most convenient, so i'll go for that next time i'm there.

Sometime we ought to plan a trip to Nic's. I'd buy you a burger.

Valar Morghulis
11-22-2014, 03:02 AM
Dave do you eat a lot of curried chicken?

I eat a lot of curry but not with chicken

Valar Morghulis
11-22-2014, 03:02 AM
I have a lot of curry but not with chicken

Why do you ask. Am I missing a joke?

Davii
11-22-2014, 03:18 AM
Port of call. Google it.

Valar Morghulis
11-22-2014, 03:23 AM
Port of call. Google it.

It that a burger joint in NOLA

CoachChaz
11-22-2014, 09:46 AM

In their defense...In N Out has been in the metro areas of Texas for a little over a year. I don't think anyone sent out a letter advising them of the secret menu.

OrangeHoof
11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Google is our friend:

http://www.broncosforums.com/images/not-so-secret-menu-animal-style.png
burger of your choice with hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, a mustard cooked beef patty; add pickle, extra spread with grilled onions

http://www.in-n-out.com/menu/not-so-secret-menu.aspx

weazel
11-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Why do you ask. Am I missing a joke?

nope not at all, was just curious.

slim
07-04-2017, 07:36 PM
I eat a lot of curry but not with chicken

Fag