PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign offensive lineman, safety to practice squad

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2014, 08:30 PM
It's never too late to think about the future.

The Broncos changed two spots on their practice squad roster Tuesday. The team terminated the contracts for defensive end Zach Thompson, who had been with them all season, and receiver Douglas McNeil, who was signed three weeks ago.

In their place, the Broncos signed offensive lineman Mark Asper and safety Josh Bush to their practice squad. Asper is a guard-tackle who was selected in the sixth round of the 2012 draft by the Buffalo Bills.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26964606/broncos-sign-offensive-lineman-safety-practice-squad

Magnificent Seven
11-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Mark Asper?! Frack! How about Richie Incognito?!

NightTerror218
11-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Mark Asper?! Frack! How about Richie Incognito?!

This is PS not active roster... Incognito can not be signed to PS

Joel
11-19-2014, 02:26 PM
This is PS not active roster... Incognito can not be signed to PS
I think his point was signing a couple PS scrubs can't fix the mutliple, glaring and championship-killing problems with our starters. I just don't get it; even after repeteadly admitting a fundamental problem so grave it's crippling arguably the most talented roster in NFL history, our coaches and VP of Football Operations STILL treat the offensive line as an afterthought rather than the cornerstone it is.

It's like Elway's trying to win a wager:

"I bet a team without at least a decent line couldn't win a championship even with HoFers and Pro Bowlers EVERYWHERE else."

"I'll take a piece of that...."

PatriotsGuy
11-19-2014, 02:31 PM
even after repeteadly admitting a fundamental problem so grave it's crippling arguably the most talented roster in NFL history, our coaches and VP of Football Operations STILL treat the offensive line as an afterthought rather than the cornerstone it is.

Whoa, do you have links to them "admitting a fundamental problem so grave it's crippling arguably the most talented roster in NFL history" ?

I also think you would get a lot of arguments re: "arguably the most talented roster in NFL history"

Joel
11-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Whoa, do you have links to them "admitting a fundamental problem so grave it's crippling arguably the most talented roster in NFL history" ?
No link, but Simms said on air that, during the offseason, Gase told him point blank we lost the SB because our nonexistent run game let Seattle sell out on the pass with no risk that left them vulnerable to the run. He practically quoted everything I'd been saying throughout the playoffs and heading into that game; presumbly, this proves Gase isn't a real Broncos fan, and thinks he's smarter than our coaches.

I also think you would get a lot of arguments re: "arguably the most talented roster in NFL history"
That's a safe bet; it's also why I said, "arguably." But (especially before the injuries to Irving and Trevathan,) I think the OVERALL talent as good as or better than the best. That is, we may not have HoFers and All Pros at every starting position (though we certainly have more than enough there to win a title,) but the starters and depth are SOLID all the way the down to the waterboy at EVERY position except RB and offensive line. Sadly, those are pretty big exceptions; probably fatal ones.

For the record, I fully appreciate the irony: If our line played HALF as well as the Pats line I was ragging on a few weeks ago, we'd be unstoppable. Then again, I doubt the phrase "not too shabby" has ever passed Belicheats lips: Good enough's NEVER good enough for him and, while there are big things I take exception to about him, that's a strong argument to his credit.

LawDog
11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I think his point was signing a couple PS scrubs can't fix the mutliple, glaring and championship-killing problems with our starters. I just don't get it; even after repeteadly admitting a fundamental problem so grave it's crippling arguably the most talented roster in NFL history, our coaches and VP of Football Operations STILL treat the offensive line as an afterthought rather than the cornerstone it is.

It's like Elway's trying to win a wager:

"I bet a team without at least a decent line couldn't win a championship even with HoFers and Pro Bowlers EVERYWHERE else."

"I'll take a piece of that...."

Except for the point that NT218 was making, in that the PS moves today have nothing to do with addressing the OL for this season including the fact that today's moves in no way prevent any type of action to improve the OL.

PatriotsGuy
11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
No link, but Simms said on air that, during the offseason, Gase told him point blank we lost the SB because our nonexistent run game let Seattle sell out on the pass with no risk that left them vulnerable to the run. He practically quoted everything I'd been saying throughout the playoffs and heading into that game; presumbly, this proves Gase isn't a real Broncos fan, and thinks he's smarter than our coaches.

So "repeatedly admitting" is Simms making an on air comment about something Gase allegedly said to him? Hmmm, if that's the case, then I think you should be directing a lot of your complaints to Elway, he built this team after all. I've read that here repeatedly.

Joel
11-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Except for the point that NT218 was making, in that the PS moves today have nothing to do with addressing the OL for this season including the fact that today's moves in no way prevent any type of action to improve the OL.
All that's certainly true, but talk of new PS linemen while our starters (yet again) scuttle a championship for a team far too talented everywhere else to NOT win one just feels like salt in the wound.

Mind, I'm not saying I have a problem with the thread, only that I understand how it could exacerbate fans already exasperated. Exacerperation, if you will. :tongue:

Joel
11-19-2014, 03:15 PM
So "repeatedly admitting" is Simms making an on air comment about something Gase allegedly said to him? Hmmm, if that's the case, then I think you should be directing a lot of your complaints to Elway, he built this team after all. I've read that here repeatedly.
The "repeatedly" is more a reference to all things Fox and Co. have said since then about our line not getting it done; it HAS been something of a running narrative almost since Opening Day. I used to wonder how bad our line would have to get before our coaches publicly acknowledged and did something about it; I wish I'd never learned the answer, or that they had the faintest clue WHAT to do about it. As bad as it was last year, it was worse at the start of the season, and as much worse as it was then, it's the worst NOW that I've ever seen it.

Elway figures prominently in my recent comments on the subject, because you're absolutely right whose decision it was to respond to all that with nothing more than spending the penultimate 3rd round pick on an OT despite a FA pool AND draft class LOADED with talent at guard; the Chiefs alone lost two excellent starting guards who are making practically nothing, and NE traded away a pretty good one. So we get a journeyman G/C in FA and draft an OT at the tail end of the 3rd (sorry, but NO NFL-ready OT lasts until the 31st pick of Round 3.)

Given Elways SB record and the difference between his wins and losses, there's absolutely NO excuse for ignoring all those great options to just reshuffle the same bad hand his OC just admitted cost us a SB.

MOtorboat
11-20-2014, 12:23 AM
So, now we're talking up the roster so that we can talk down the team in the next breath.

chazoe60
11-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Best rosters ever?

Probably one of those late 80's 9ers teams or one of the 70's steelers teams. Those 90's Cowboys teams were stacked too, talk about an OL.

GEM
11-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Best rosters ever?

Probably one of those late 80's 9ers teams or one of the 70's steelers teams. Those 90's Cowboys teams were stacked too, talk about an OL.

Or maybe the late 90's Broncos...:D