PDA

View Full Version : Hochman: Peyton Manning & Co. need adjustments to preserve Super dream

Denver Native (Carol)
11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
ST. LOUIS — There's something particularly sad about watching a losing team leave the locker room in fancy suits, players squeezed into their Sunday best, like mom made them.

One by one, a Broncos offensive oaf loafed in loafers while putting on this unnecessary accessory that was a sport coat. And then — hadn't they been through enough? — the players ambled outside into blustery snow on a gray day. En route to the bus, dozens of bundled Broncos fans provided some proverbial warmth. But scrape away the unwavering hope of the fans, and the lathered glitz that makes Denver "America's team," and you have a lot of players dressed up to look sharper than they are on the field.

The Broncos have some problems that run deeper than Sunday's 22-7 loss to the Rams. This isn't last season, folks. The Broncos are still a playoff team, but to be the best team, this offense must be resuscitated. Peyton Manning looked human in the first half at Oakland last week, and he looked frighteningly flimsy Sunday. "I've got to play better, it's pretty plain and simple," he said after the game.

AND

"We knocked some balls down, and we did some things that we hadn't shown (in previous games)," St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher said. "You have to do that against Peyton."

full article - worth reading -
http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_26950580/hochman-peyton-manning-amp-co-need-adjustments-preserve

CrazyHorse
11-19-2014, 05:43 AM
Getting a few injured players back would definitely help(Trevathan, Hillman, Ball, Sanders, J.Thomas, Green) So would Incognito at LG and Franklin back at RT.

Joel
11-19-2014, 03:38 PM
As bad as Franklin was at RT, his multiple successors halfway through the season have been worse, and he's a pretty awful LG, too, so it just makes sense to sign an All Pro LG and send Franklin back where he—well, "belongs" isn't the right word, but the point is clear. He still doesn't have the mobility to stop fast agile edge rushers, but that's also why he's easily beaten by stunts and can't pull to lead block: Incognito excels at LG, Franklin excels at nothing and there are no top tier FA RTs out there, so it's pretty simple arithmetic. Then all we need to do is find a decent C. Yick, this line is BAD.

It's time I took a posting break; the coaches and analysts vindicating all my multiyear criticisms is far less satisfying than one might think, and those who've said I'm over-invested in the Broncos are probably right. Not for the first time, I actually had a dream about a game last night; the only thing I remember about it now was McManus missing a FG from the 5. It's just too depressing for further fixation. :(