PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Denver methinks (Rams bench Davis)

Northman
11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Davis is benched in favor of Hill. I would fear Davis more than Hill personally.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11864741/st-louis-rams-bench-qb-austin-davis-switch-shaun-hill

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Just two days after saying Austin Davis (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15187/austin-davis) would remain the starting quarterback, St. Louis Rams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams) coach Jeff Fisher has decided that veteran Shaun Hill (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4260/shaun-hill) now has the job, the team announced Wednesday.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0825/mag_NFLpreview065_USAtoday_300x200.jpg

(http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0825/mag_NFLpreview065_USAtoday_600x400.jpg)Shaun Hill, who was injured in the season opener, will get a second chance as starting QB for the Rams.

A source told ESPN.com that Fisher informed the team of the change at a team meeting Wednesday morning, citing Hill's experience as the Rams prepare for Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos).

Just Monday, Fisher had said Davis would continue to be the starter but finished that confirmation with "so we'll see where it goes."

SR
11-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Favors us, sure, but what the hell is STL thinking?

Northman
11-12-2014, 02:51 PM

I dont know, but i like it. lmao

SR
11-12-2014, 02:56 PM
I dont know, but i like it. lmao

Anarchy!!!!!

aberdien
11-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Seems like FO is not seeing eye to eye with Fisher.

VonDoom
11-12-2014, 03:25 PM

With the exception of the Seahawks game, Davis has been pretty bad in recent weeks. He's been at or under 60% completion, with a rating of 75.4 or less in all of those games except the Seattle game. I don't think either of them are that good, so it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

OrangeHoof
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
It benefits us because we will see a rusty quarterback, even if he is more experienced. With Davis in there, we probably could have schemed some surprises but instead we'll get a QB that hasn't been taking any reps in over a month. I think I like that even better. Davis wasn't that bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2014, 06:13 PM
The Austin Davis era in St. Louis appears to be over, at least for now.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher announed Wednesday that Shaun Hill will start at quarterback this week against the Denver Broncos, replacing Davis after eight consecutive starts. Hill started the season opener before injuring his thigh. While he was ready to play by Week 3, Fisher continued to roll with Davis because the third-year pro was playing so well.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch first reported the story.

Fisher added that it won't be a week-to-week decision, and that "We're going to give Shaun an opportunity to do what we brought him here to do, and that was to be a backup to Sam (Bradford)."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000427115/article/st-louis-rams-will-start-shaun-hill-at-quarterback

Simple Jaded
11-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Shaun Hill really played well for Lions, far better than anything Davis has done.

ShaneFalco
11-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Hill is going nowhere , the 16 vet prodigy?

Stupid. Rams need to be looking towards future, not starting has beens.

spikerman
11-12-2014, 08:30 PM
I actually don't like this news. Denver has a history of turning journeymen into Hall of Famers (at least for one game) and I happen to think that Hill is a pretty decent backup.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I actually don't like this news. Denver has a history of turning journeymen into Hall of Famers (at least for one game) and I happen to think that Hill is a pretty decent backup.

Of the Rams' players, Shaun Hill I worry about the least. Their defensive front 7 on the other hand, can ball. If anyone can expose a weak O line, it's them. Davis or Hill at QB, the offense doesn't scare me in the least.

Joel
11-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Before Stafford went down, this game worried me a bit, because last years Rams were generally underrated. I don't know why; they were only a game below .500, which isn't awful—it's really pretty good, considering over HALF their schedule consisted of playoff calibre teams. In fact, by Power Rating, THEY were a playoff team, but we can't send a whole division to the postseason, because SOMEONE had to win the NFCN/E even though their competition consisted mainly of 10 games against two weak divisions. So Arizona and St. Louis stayed home, while GB and Philly hosted wildcard gamess they couldn't win.

The Rams scare me less without their franchise QB, but their D's still dangerous. St. Louis and Miamis front sevens wouldn't be my first choice of opponents when our offensive line's so full of holes the coaches publicly admit what their repeated shuffling makes undeniable even for people who've habitually and dogmatically denied it for years. Bottom line is we must win EVERY game and hope NE doesn't, because that's the only way to regain the playoff homefield advantage they won by beating us.

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
11-12-2014, 11:21 PM
I don't really worry about either of them

CrazyHorse
11-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Before Stafford went down, this game worried me a bit, because last years Rams were generally underrated. I don't know why; they were only a game below .500, which isn't awful—it's really pretty good, considering over HALF their schedule consisted of playoff calibre teams. In fact, by Power Rating, THEY were a playoff team, but we can't send a whole division to the postseason, because SOMEONE had to win the NFCN/E even though their competition consisted mainly of 10 games against two weak divisions. So Arizona and St. Louis stayed home, while GB and Philly hosted wildcard gamess they couldn't win.

The Rams scare me less without their franchise QB, but their D's still dangerous. St. Louis and Miamis front sevens wouldn't be my first choice of opponents when our offensive line's so full of holes the coaches publicly admit what their repeated shuffling makes undeniable even for people who've habitually and dogmatically denied it for years. Bottom line is we must win EVERY game and hope NE doesn't, because that's the only way to regain the playoff homefield advantage they won by beating us.

I think Pats beat the Colts in a close one but lose at Green Bay. Broncos could run the table. 14-2 isn't out of the question.

SR
11-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Denver would still have home field advantage in the playoffs with the number two seed, so long as they don't play NE.

Davii
11-13-2014, 02:33 AM

They are. Don't forget about that huge property Kroenke bought already....

Northman
11-13-2014, 06:15 AM
Shaun Hill really played well for Lions, far better than anything Davis has done.

Erm, not sure about that.

Hill was 3-7 as the Lions starter (5th year in the league) with a completion percentage of 61.8. Davis is 3-5 (as a rookie) with a completion percentage of 63.4.

I dont really see this large margin you are talking about. :lol:

Northman
11-13-2014, 06:18 AM

See above, he's really not.

Nomad
11-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Doesn't matter who's playing QB for the Rams, BRONCOS win big this game.

Joel
11-13-2014, 02:44 PM
I think Pats beat the Colts in a close one but lose at Green Bay. Broncos could run the table. 14-2 isn't out of the question.
Not out of the question, but not likely either. The Chiefs and Bolts were missing many key starters in Denver, while we were healthy; they'll get people back before hosting the rematch, while we've lost two starting LBs (plus KC's tough for any visitor.) Miami's not a bad team either, and the Bengals usually show up at home; those are games we should win, but so was the NE blowout.

It's a very near thing now; 13-3's probably good enough for homefield, and 12-4's probably not. Your read on their GB and Indy games sounds right to me, but after that I have more faith in SD beating NE at home than Detroit beating them on the road (for one thing, Detroits record LOOKS good at first glance, but the only decent teams they've played were the home games against GB and NO, and they needed a 21 pt comeback to win the latter.) Hoping NE loses 2 more games may be hoping too much (they could even run the table, in which case we're screwed no matter what) so we can't afford to lose ANY.

Denver would still have home field advantage in the playoffs with the number two seed, so long as they don't play NE.
Yeah, but if they're #1 seed the only way we avoid playing them is if one us is one-and-done at home. That's unlikely, and I'm not convinced hosting a playoff game against a team that beat the #1 seeded Pats on the road would really be a good thing; I learned that lesson when the '05 Steelers knocked off the #1 seeded Colts so we got to host the AFCCG, then proceeded to end Plummers career.

EastCoastBronco
11-14-2014, 07:50 AM
This game is going to be a tough out because of their D and it's in their house and because of their special teams Tom Foolery.
Our special teams suck and that has to have Geoff Fisher drooling for a couple of trick plays.
As far as the QB, they could start Homer Simpson at QB and it wouldn't matter.
That's not the worry...

Northman
11-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Its indoors, i feel better about our chances in a dome than i would outside.

ShaneFalco
11-14-2014, 08:06 AM
to be honest i expect peyton to somehow break a record on gameday. Rams safeties are horrid. mcleod completely forgets about his man all the time. Barron has been average, still learning playbook prolly. And then mcdonald is decent, because he can hit well, but again, not that great in coverage.

The real test will be if Trumaine Johnson has recovered fully from his injury and is back to form. Ej Gaines is a good 3rd corner, young and takes good risks.

But the Rams are missing 9 starters. And having GROB moving from LG to LT. And their o line, is just not even worth mentioning after that.

Shotty is their o coordinator. You score more then 15, your good.

Cugel
11-14-2014, 02:42 PM

As for the Rams, Fisher saying "it won't be week to week" just means they're giving Hill the next 2 starts. This is bad for them. It means they don't have full confidence with any of their backup QBs (not surprising). But, having made one switcheroo, what's to prevent Fisher from switching back if Hill struggles in the next 2 weeks, which is likely with them playing Denver and then @Chargers?

As for the Patriots, if they can win @Indy, Lions, @Green Bay, Miami, @San Diego and Buffalo then they DESERVE to be the AFC #1 seed!

That is a brutal schedule for sure. Even their home games will be a struggle. The Lions are hot right now, and Miami already beat them once this year, is coming off a big win against Buffalo, would qualify for a wild-card if the season ended today, and can run the ball well, so cold weather doesn't bother them. They're not scared at all of going into Foxborough. The Patriots are playing 5 playoff teams, and even Buffalo, the 2nd weakest of the teams they face is a playoff contender. The only stiff on N.E.'s schedule is the Jets.

So sure, if they can win out they'll be 14-2 and the Broncos cannot overtake them. But, I think they will lose 2 of those games and finish 12-4.

Remember that if the Dolphins can somehow beat the Pats in N.E. they would probably win the division and have a home playoff game due to having the head-to-head tiebreaker. Think that won't be a Huge game for them -- they haven't won that division in about 10 years and now they have it right in front of them.

BroncoJoe
11-14-2014, 03:01 PM
As for the Rams, Fisher saying "it won't be week to week" just means they're giving Hill the next 2 starts. This is bad for them. It means they don't have full confidence with any of their backup QBs (not surprising). But, having made one switcheroo, what's to prevent Fisher from switching back if Hill struggles in the next 2 weeks, which is likely with them playing Denver and then @Chargers?

As for the Patriots, if they can win @Indy, Lions, @Green Bay, Miami, @San Diego and Buffalo then they DESERVE to be the AFC #1 seed!

That is a brutal schedule for sure. Even their home games will be a struggle. The Lions are hot right now, and Miami already beat them once this year, is coming off a big win against Buffalo, would qualify for a wild-card if the season ended today, and can run the ball well, so cold weather doesn't bother them. They're not scared at all of going into Foxborough. The Patriots are playing 5 playoff teams, and even Buffalo, the 2nd weakest of the teams they face is a playoff contender. The only stiff on N.E.'s schedule is the Jets.

So sure, if they can win out they'll be 14-2 and the Broncos cannot overtake them. But, I think they will lose 2 of those games and finish 12-4.

Remember that if the Dolphins can somehow beat the Pats in N.E. they would probably win the division and have a home playoff game due to having the head-to-head tiebreaker. Think that won't be a Huge game for them -- they haven't won that division in about 10 years and now they have it right in front of them.

Wrong. Again.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Its indoors, i feel better about our chances in a dome than i would outside.

The key is quieting the crowd. Start fast and put up some points early and they'll quiet down. They're gonna be loud at first so it will play a factor on Manning's audibles.

Northman
11-14-2014, 06:27 PM
The key is quieting the crowd. Start fast and put up some points early and they'll quiet down. They're gonna be loud at first so it will play a factor on Manning's audibles.

Agreed. I just hope we dont get off to a slow start like we normally do.

Nomad
11-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Manning still has KC, SD, & Cincy....he has to learn to play through crowd noise. This will be a good test, because there's no guarantee the road to the SB goes through Denver again.

SR
11-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Manning still has KC, SD, & Cincy....he has to learn to play through crowd noise. This will be a good test, because there's no guarantee the road to the SB goes through Denver again.

I'm pretty sure after 14 years Peyton is used to crowd noise.

sneakers
11-14-2014, 08:17 PM

and lose at San Diego too

Nomad
11-14-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure after 14 years Peyton is used to crowd noise.

Obviously not. It seems to be a major concern of fans.

Simple Jaded
11-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Don't rock the boat, the Rams need to keep Bradford occupied long enough to take over for Peyton Manning when he retires, then they can go out and snag whatever "exciting" P.O.S glory-whore QB that's caught your fancy.

ShaneFalco
11-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Oh snap the armchair qb who has never watched a Rams game, here to defend the qb who has been injured 4 years out of 5, while getting paid like Peyton Manning.

You really hate tebow. "Glory whore". lol. I fancy winning and heart. Not sitting on the bench and getting paid elite money.

ShaneFalco
11-15-2014, 11:35 PM
not to mention the playoff stats.

Simple Jaded
11-15-2014, 11:38 PM
Erm, not sure about that.

Hill was 3-7 as the Lions starter (5th year in the league) with a completion percentage of 61.8. Davis is 3-5 (as a rookie) with a completion percentage of 63.4.

I dont really see this large margin you are talking about. :lol:

Sorry, I was referring to actual play as a whole, not just win/loss and completion percentage. Davis should thank the football Gods if he ends up having the thoroughly unimpressive career Hill has had.

Davii
11-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Oh snap the armchair qb who has never watched a Rams game, here to defend the qb who has been injured 4 years out of 5, while getting paid like Peyton Manning.

You really hate tebow. "Glory whore". lol. I fancy winning and heart. Not sitting on the bench and getting paid elite money.

What about not being on a team and sitting in a media booth? You fancy QBs that do that?

Simple Jaded
11-15-2014, 11:42 PM

Tebow has only part in this, there's also Manziel and the rest of the shit QB's you fancy. And I only defend Bradford cause you hate him, if for no other reason than to highlight the fact that you love a QB that can't play QB but shit on the Rams QB that actually can play QB.

ShaneFalco
11-15-2014, 11:46 PM
If the Rams had taken Manziel, guess what, they wouldnt be starting backups.

I knew bradford was injury prone. Why? Because i actually watch Rams games.

The whole team is going through alot more then just football. The entire stadium situation is a cloud hanging over the whole organizations head. Fans are boycotting the Rams. City is now trying to get them to stay.

If they had Tebow, they would have a QB that actually is not just playing for a paycheck for once. Team is full of mercs. Even the O Coordinator Shotty has been looking for other jobs while employed. Tebow would show them what putting your mind, body, and soul on the line to win a game is. He wouldnt bring them to the promise land, he would just change the culture. And thats what i want, because the culture in that organization has been sorry for a long time.

Manziel is kind of a merc, but he just wants to play football. There is a 50 page thread on Rams forums right now about manziel. So why even try to talk about a fanbase you dont know anything about?

Davii
11-16-2014, 12:01 AM

The whole team is going through alot more then just football. The entire stadium situation is a cloud hanging over the whole organizations head. Fans are boycotting the Rams. City is now trying to get them to stay.

If they had Tebow, they would have a QB that actually is not just playing for a paycheck for once. Team is full of mercs. Even the O Coordinator Shotty has been looking for other jobs while employed. Tebow would show them what putting your mind, body, and soul on the line to win a game is. He wouldnt bring them to the promise land, he would just change the culture. And thats what i want, because the culture in that organization has been sorry for a long time.

Manziel is kind of a merc, but he just wants to play football. There is a 50 page thread on Rams forums right now about manziel. So why even try to talk about a fanbase you dont know anything about?

I don't know on Manziel. There's a reason he isn't starting uup in Cleveland. He might be good, only time will tell.

ShaneFalco
11-16-2014, 12:04 AM
I don't know on Manziel. There's a reason he isn't starting uup in Cleveland. He might be good, only time will tell.

ya i agree, main reason i wanted Manziel was in case something like Bradford getting hurt happened or not being 100% from his previous injury. Heck i would have taken Teddy or Derek Carr.

Davii
11-16-2014, 12:05 AM
ya i agree, main reason i wanted Manziel was in case something like Bradford getting hurt happened or not being 100% from his previous injury. Heck i would have taken Teddy or Derek Carr.

Derek Carr looks to be the best of the bunch so far. I think the Lambs should've grabbed Sanchez when he was available.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Btw, Peyton Manning? HUGE Glory-whore, that's not an issue with players that can actually PLAY.

ShaneFalco
11-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Derek Carr looks to be the best of the bunch so far. I think the Lambs should've grabbed Sanchez when he was available.yea, just something of a backup plan with high upside would have been fine.

I dont view Shaun Hill as high upside.

Btw, Peyton Manning? HUGE Glory-whore, that's not an issue with players that can actually PLAY.

again its about changing the culture in the Rams locker room, the whole "merc for 1 year hire" attitude that exists, is killing whats left of the team. R Quinn, C long are two of the few guys who love playing as a Stl Ram.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 12:14 AM

That's fair, tho, I'm waiting to see just like I did with Tebow. I've went back and forth with Vince Young, turns out he can't play dead without Dinger. Injuries aside there isn't a GM on the planet that's gonna ride with any of these QB's over Bradford.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 12:19 AM
yea, just something of a backup plan with high upside would have been fine.

I dont view Shaun Hill as high upside.

again its about changing the culture in the Rams locker room, the whole "merc for 1 year hire" attitude that exists, is killing whats left of the team. R Quinn, C long are two of the few guys who love playing as a Stl Ram.

Child please, this 2-plus year discussion has had nothing to do with a backup QB or changing the culture in the lockerroom, you don't like Bradford. It might be too late for Bradford at this point but there is no shortage of NFL GM's that love his talent as much as you hate him.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 12:23 AM
As for Tebow, unless he is currently an entirely different QB than he was the last time he played your last post on him is obscenely naive. And seeing as though Manziel is also currently a backup your last post on him is what I like to call "wrong".

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 12:31 AM

One last thing, I'll stop talking about the Rams when you stop talking about the Broncos, deal?

ShaneFalco
11-16-2014, 01:22 AM
:lol:

Davii
11-16-2014, 05:02 AM
That's fair, tho, I'm waiting to see just like I did with Tebow. I've went back and forth with Vince Young, turns out he can't play dead without Dinger. Injuries aside there isn't a GM on the planet that's gonna ride with any of these QB's over Bradford.

Agreed

Edmonton Bronco Fan
11-16-2014, 04:18 PM
This thread had undesired consequences.

Northman
11-16-2014, 04:28 PM
This thread had undesired consequences.

This thread has no affect on their play. We just sucked donkey ballz today.

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 04:41 PM
North, Shaun Hill >>> Austin Davis?

Northman
11-16-2014, 04:48 PM
North, Shaun Hill >>> Austin Davis?

North = No Pass Rush >>>>> Shaun Hill & Austin Davis

Simple Jaded
11-16-2014, 04:56 PM
:confused:
North = No Pass Rush >>>>> Shaun Hill & Austin Davis

I see what you're saying but I think that's backwards?:confused:

Northman
11-16-2014, 04:58 PM
:confused:

I see what you're saying but I think that's backwards?:confused:

Who knows, ive had a few beers. lmao

I Eat Staples
11-16-2014, 05:03 PM
The Rams could have started Akili Smith and still won.