PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Shazam!
11-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Latest Star Wars Episode 7 movie title officially named -

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/11/06/star-wars-episode-vii-title-revealed-as-the-force-awakens

I hope Disney doesn't **** this up.

BroncoJoe
11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
There's some good info in this thread

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/451827-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-*SPOILERS-INSIDE*

Shazam!
11-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Didn't know that it was posted already. My bad.

Dapper Dan
11-07-2014, 02:36 AM
That's what I call my boner.

sneakers
11-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Disney will **** this shit up so bad. It will be terrible and we will be begging for George to come back and finish the trilogy

Ravage!!!
11-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Disney will **** this shit up so bad. It will be terrible and we will be begging for George to come back and finish the trilogy

George was one of the worst writers, ever. Disney has hit HOME RUNS with their Marvel movies,and the guy directing this was absolutely brilliant i the last couple of Star Trek's. I see no reason to think that this movie will be a failure. If anything, the movies will be MUCH MUCH better now that Lucus isn't involved.

Shazam!
11-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I thought Lucas made some strides and the new films progressed nicely in the original trilogy and they got progressively better after TPM. Other than Hayden Christianson's wooden acting, I thought AOTC & ROTS were very good.

ESB is still my favorite.

MOtorboat
11-08-2014, 06:32 PM
George was one of the worst writers, ever. Disney has hit HOME RUNS with their Marvel movies,and the guy directing this was absolutely brilliant i the last couple of Star Trek's. I see no reason to think that this movie will be a failure. If anything, the movies will be MUCH MUCH better now that Lucus isn't involved.

Abrams Star Trek reboots have been fantastic. Two of my favorite movies the last few years. Hopefully they choose good actors for Star Wars, because the actor selection is what has made those movies.

MasterShake
11-08-2014, 11:52 PM
I thought Lucas made some strides and the new films progressed nicely in the original trilogy and they got progressively better after TPM. Other than Hayden Christianson's wooden acting, I thought AOTC & ROTS were very good.

Lucas is a great visionary and writer, just kind of a bad director. Aside from the original Star Wars, he had help on his screenplays from Lawrence Kasdan and others on the other films. The biggest knock on George Lucas was never his writing, but his lack of direction to his actors. Harrison Ford, Alec Guinness, Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor), and Ewan McGregor overcame this the best in my opinion. He admits that he was always more of a visual director and thought of his movies as silent films with musical scores and that the visuals told the story. The special effects combined with John Williams score still make for some of the most memorable scenes across all 6 movies, and the great featurette Star Wars: A Musical Journey is a testament to that:

0GA8aUe7on8

The prequels get a lot of crap, but I love the story they try to tell even though they stumble at times. I think Episodes III through V are my favorites. I, II, and VI are a mixed bag to me but still very good. Return of the Jedi is a tough one for me because its clouded by my childhood memories of it being my favorite while the adult in me can't stand all the Ewok stuff now. :lol:

BroncoJoe
11-09-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm old, so the original releases were my favorites. I never really got into the more recent ones, but may have to revisit them with this coming out.

chazoe60
11-09-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm old, so the original releases were my favorites. I never really got into the more recent ones, but may have to revisit them with this coming out.

Watch Episode 3 again Joe, it is phenomenal. It is the darkest of all the films and may be the best one.

Shazam!
11-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Return of the Jedi is a tough one for me because its clouded by my childhood memories of it being my favorite while the adult in me can't stand all the Ewok stuff now. :lol:

Now, IMO, ROTJ is the worst. Just awful. Even then it didn't hit me as did the first two. I was never a fan of the Ewoks and what I remember waiting for was Vader unmasked and that didn't even impress either.

Very disappointing to me even when I was 8.

MasterShake
11-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Now, IMO, ROTJ is the worst. Just awful. Even then it didn't hit me as did the first two. I was never a fan of the Ewoks and what I remember waiting for was Vader unmasked and that didn't even impress either.

Very disappointing to me even when I was 8.

Its nice to hear older fans acknowledge that the OT had its own faults. Most fans who grew up with the originals treat them like some sacred cow that no one can criticize. The worst is all the criticism they lob at the prequels that was pretty much the same issues the OT had (acting, too cutesy at times, etc.). My favorites in order change all the time but right now I think its:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. A New Hope
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Phantom Menace

Even the Phantom Menace is better than 90% of the sic-fi fantasy movies out there. It has grown on me in recent years because my son loves it so much and that final dual with Darth Maul was still one of my favorite experiences in a theater.

Shazam!
11-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Numerous complaints mainly with ROTJ. Leia and Luke was just George trying to outdo himself. I never liked that either.

ESB
ROTS
AOTC
ANH
TPM
ROTJ

TPM gets a slight bump over ROTJ due to an epic battle and an intriguing villain. IMO Maul should have survived and made it to Dooku. Liam did an incredible job as Qui-Gon who should have carried on too.

ANH, looks archaic compared to ESB. while it started something incredible, it has been succeeded with better films, which is a good thing. I thought Ewan McGregor did a fabulous job of flashing a younger Obiwan and as kids we always wondered how it would play out.

Magnificent Seven
11-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Numerous complaints mainly with ROTJ. Leia and Luke was just George trying to outdo himself. I never liked that either.

ESB
ROTS
AOTC
ANH
TPM
ROTJ

TPM gets a slight bump over ROTJ due to an epic battle and an intriguing villain. IMO Maul should have survived and made it to Dooku. Liam did an incredible job as Qui-Gon who should have carried on too.

ANH, looks archaic compared to ESB. while it started something incredible, it has been succeeded with better films, which is a good thing. I thought Ewan McGregor did a fabulous job of flashing a younger Obiwan and as kids we always wondered how it would play out.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Attack of the Clones

6.The Phantom Menace

Shazam!
11-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Yeah, SW best-of lists are all in the eye of the beholder. One thing all could agree with, ESB is the best of them all.

FanInAZ
11-09-2014, 09:16 PM
My ranking of the main battle scenes:

Notes: The Revenge of the Sith isn't include on this list because I don't think there wasn't a single battle that could be considered its "main battle scene." Also, I believe the lightsaber duels should be a separate category for a different post.

1) Attack of the Clones: The final battle scene was the only main battle in any SW in which the attacking force used a sensible "joint forces" strategy. In short, they used the strength of every unit type to compensate for the weakness of other units.

2) Return of the Jedi: The Rebels fell into the Empires trap, then fought like made to break out of it. The tide turned when the "teddy bear army" counter trapped the Imperial troops on Endor.

3-5) All were completely illogical

A New Hope: Why did they have to fly down that trench & relegate the "wingmen" to the role of target practice for Darth Vader? You’re telling me that they couldn't have flown straight at the exhaust port & fired their missiles straight in instead of at an angle that defied the laws of physics?

Empire Strikes Back: Those Star Destroyers were filled with Tie-Fighters. Why didn't they use them to provide air support for their ground troops on the ice plants, Hoth?

The Phantom Menace: Why did the Gungons just stand there for several minutes & watch the droids deploy & activate? They should've charged the droid as soon as they touched down & take out as many as possible before they activated. Why were the droids drop so close to the front line that the Gungons could have charged them & take out as many as possible before they were activated?

DenBronx
11-09-2014, 09:32 PM
To me it doesn't get any better than the originals but I very much did like Revenge of the Sith. When that came out I was like...finally this is what we have been waiting on. It needed to get much darker and not so much Jar Jarish. So #3 is a tie for me. Return of the Jedi is still hands down my favorite. I loved the battle with Luke and Vader. But I guess you could say each movie had it's own memorable moments and highlights. Even the worst Star Wars movie would still be better than 98% of the other SciFis coming out.

My list is as follows:

1. Return of the Jedi
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Hopefully one of the next 3 can crack my top 3. I really am looking forward to these movies. Just brings me back to my childhood and are my favorite SciFi movies of all time.

FanInAZ
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Would anyone like to nominate a character, other than Jar Jar, as the worst character in the SW universe? Seriously, I've never met anyone that doesn't wish he was never created.

chazoe60
11-09-2014, 09:41 PM
People give Return of the Jedi a lot of shit and I get why, but the first hour or so of that movie (rescuing Han/Jabba The Hut desert stuff) is probably the most memorable hour of moviegoing in my life. I was 7 years old and in my mind seeing that movie on the big screen was the greatest thing life had to offer and that first hour was amazing. As a kid I loved the entire movie, as an adult I do sort of cringe at the Ewok stuff but that first hour is still masterful storytelling IMO.

I think that is still the only movie Ive ever been to where people actually stood and cheered as if at a sporting event.

MasterShake
11-09-2014, 10:41 PM
People give Return of the Jedi a lot of shit and I get why, but the first hour or so of that movie (rescuing Han/Jabba The Hut desert stuff) is probably the most memorable hour of moviegoing in my life. I was 7 years old and in my mind seeing that movie on the big screen was the greatest thing life had to offer and that first hour was amazing. As a kid I loved the entire movie, as an adult I do sort of cringe at the Ewok stuff but that first hour is still masterful storytelling IMO.

I think that is still the only movie Ive ever been to where people actually stood and cheered as if at a sporting event.

I think that is a big problem (if you want to call it that) with Star Wars in general. Star Wars is very much something that recalls a simpler time for many of us as we grew up with the original trilogy and it is easier to forgive their faults. I was a jaded adult when the prequels came out so of course that same magic wasn't there but I enjoyed them for what they were. I had friends who had visceral angry reactions after Phantom Menace because it didn't transform them into a kid again. Seeing them with my son really had me reassess them, however, as he sees all 6 movies as one big thing. Truth be told when I was a kid I thought Empire was the most boring because it was the most adult, and I didn't like all the slow Cloud City and Dagobah scenes. Now that I am an adult it is easily my favorite.

Now I kind of just accept Star Wars for what it is - a fun space fantasy with some good morality tales and mythological roots. I hope the new movies are awesome but keep what I consider the charm of the original six which is silly dialogue, space opera drama, cool battles, and space cowboys and wizards with a great sweeping musical score. It is going to be surreal to see my old heroes on the screen again next December, and even stranger to have my son visit that galaxy with me for the first time with a new movie in the theater. He will be the same age I was when Return of the Jedi came out. I already planning on pulling him out of school and seeing a matinee like my dad did for me if I can't convince his mom to drag him to the midnight show.

MasterShake
11-09-2014, 10:51 PM
My ranking of the main battle scenes:

Notes: The Revenge of the Sith isn't include on this list because I don't think there wasn't a single battle that could be considered its "main battle scene." Also, I believe the lightsaber duels should be a separate category for a different post.

1) Attack of the Clones: The final battle scene was the only main battle in any SW in which the attacking force used a sensible "joint forces" strategy. In short, they used the strength of every unit type to compensate for the weakness of other units.

2) Return of the Jedi: The Rebels fell into the Empires trap, then fought like made to break out of it. The tide turned when the "teddy bear army" counter trapped the Imperial troops on Endor.

3-5) All were completely illogical

A New Hope: Why did they have to fly down that trench & relegate the "wingmen" to the role of target practice for Darth Vader? You’re telling me that they couldn't have flown straight at the exhaust port & fired their missiles straight in instead of at an angle that defied the laws of physics?

Empire Strikes Back: Those Star Destroyers were filled with Tie-Fighters. Why didn't they use them to provide air support for their ground troops on the ice plants, Hoth?

The Phantom Menace: Why did the Gungons just stand there for several minutes & watch the droids deploy & activate? They should've charged the droid as soon as they touched down & take out as many as possible before they activated. Why were the droids drop so close to the front line that the Gungons could have charged them & take out as many as possible before they were activated?

I'll try and break down a few of your questions from what I understand of the films:

A New Hope - The surface laser towers were ripping them to shreds and most of them knew that the dogfights on the Death Star as well as the backup fighters in the trench were going to be canon fodder. By navigating the trench they were able to counter the all out assault of the surface towers into a less fortified area that the Empire hadn't thought to protect. Also in the novelization they mentioned a fighter that went straight for the port from above and got obliterated, while others got caught in the surface tractor beams and slammed into the surface.

Empire Strikes Back - The reason the TIE fighters didn't provide support is because the Empire didn't need to waste the resources. If you recall the blast armor on the AT-AT walker was more than enough protection against the Snowspeeder's blasters and only a last ditch idea by Luke to use tow cables and later a lightsaber to the gut took down two of them. Otherwise the Rebels were defenseless outside of the shield generator which was easily taken out. In the books and subsequent stories about the battle of Hoth this was considered a major victory by the Empire.

The Phantom Menace - Because the Gungans were retarded. Padme and the Jedi used them as human shields to buy them time to take out the control ship. I bet they all laughed their asses off when they saw all the dead Gunguns everywhere.

FanInAZ
11-09-2014, 11:15 PM
A New Hope - The surface laser towers were ripping them to shreds and most of them knew that the dogfights on the Death Star as well as the backup fighters in the trench were going to be canon fodder. By navigating the trench they were able to counter the all out assault of the surface towers into a less fortified area that the Empire hadn't thought to protect. Also in the novelization they mentioned a fighter that went straight for the port from above and got obliterated, while others got caught in the surface tractor beams and slammed into the surface.

Try again. The tower guns were in effective for the most part, that was the reason they had to launch the Tie Fighters to intercept them. This was a fact that the rebel leaders brought up to the piolets when they asked "What good will stunt fighters due against something that big?"

Empire Strikes Back - The reason the TIE fighters didn't provide support is because the Empire didn't need to waste the resources. If you recall the blast armor on the AT-AT walker was more than enough protection against the Snowspeeder's blasters and only a last ditch idea by Luke to use tow cables and later a lightsaber to the gut took down two of them. Otherwise the Rebels were defenseless outside of the shield generator which was easily taken out. In the books and subsequent stories about the battle of Hoth this was considered a major victory by the Empire.

In war, you'd hold back some reserve units, but you don't hold back your best weapons from the front line just because you don't want to over due it. The Tie Fighters would've shredded the snowspeaders, resulting in no loss of At-Ats.

MasterShake
11-09-2014, 11:30 PM
In war, you'd hold back some reserve units, but you don't hold back your best weapons from the front line just because you don't want to over due it. The Tie Fighters would've shredded the snowspeaders, resulting in no loss of At-Ats.

It wasn't a matter of overdoing it, it was the fact that they had the Rebel's severely outmatched but didn't account for a guerrilla tactic like the tow cable trick or the fact that Luke would slice open the belly of one with a lightsaber.

But, like Lucas and Kasdan I'm not a military strategist just a big sic-fi fantasy geek. I can't really nail down the war tactics of a movie very well. My big question always was why the Star Destroyers and other ships always seemed to be on the same plane fighting each other when you can move in any direction in space. Bring a couple of ships straight up the other big ships and shoot at their undercarriages or something. This isn't an ocean!

FanInAZ
11-09-2014, 11:46 PM
But, like Lucas and Kasdan I'm not a military strategist just a big sic-fi fantasy geek.

That's the answer to all of my questions!

I can't really nail down the war tactics of a movie very well. My big question always was why the Star Destroyers and other ships always seemed to be on the same plane fighting each other when you can move in any direction in space. Bring a couple of ships straight up the other big ships and shoot at their undercarriages or something. This isn't an ocean!

The movie that was the 1st to figure out that ships can fight 3 dimensional was the original Star Trek II, when Spock recognized that in Khan's was tactics were 2 dimensional. Of course the 3 dimensional space fights that we have today are thanks to CGI, but I don’t recall any such tactics being used in any of the SW prequel space battles.

CoachChaz
11-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Warning: This thread is intended for nerds only

MasterShake
11-10-2014, 10:38 AM

:welcome:

MOtorboat
11-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Hobbits?

chazoe60
11-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Hobbits?

Get that shit out of this thread.

MOtorboat
11-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I realized I don't have Phantom Menace on DVD last night. Can't buy it on XBox. Not at Walmart. Grr.

MasterShake
11-10-2014, 12:26 PM
I realized I don't have Phantom Menace on DVD last night. Can't buy it on XBox. Not at Walmart. Grr.

SecondSpin is usually a good source for cheaper movies. http://www.secondspin.com/s/product/2410417/Star-Wars-Episode-I-The-Phantom-Menace-Widescreen-2-Discs#.VGD1KFPF9yg

MasterShake
11-10-2014, 12:31 PM

I always think of this article when someone calls me a nerd on these forums :lol:

Walking Sports Database Scorns Walking Sci-Fi Database

PASSAIC, NJ—Scott Moreland, a walking database of sports facts and figures, scorned Tim Dansby, a walking database of science-fiction anecdotes and trivia, Monday afternoon.

Sci-fi geek Tim Dansby (right), the object of sports geek Scott Moreland's (left) mockery and derision.

"God, what a friggin' geek," said Moreland, eyeing Dansby in the food court of Willowbrook Mall. "Saturday nights, I bet he gets together with his other geek buddies and whacks off to Star Wars on video. He's probably never even gotten laid."

Moreland, a 27-year-old bachelor who spends most Saturday nights watching ESPN and checking for injury updates on CNNSI.com, then left the food court and headed to The Fan Zone, where he browsed a rack of extra-large New York Giants jerseys.

"Back in high school, there were a bunch of guys like that in my study hall. They'd spend the entire period talking about Alien Nation. I swear, they knew every line from every episode by heart," said Moreland, who can recite the batting average and on-base percentage of every member of the '86 Mets. "Who needs to memorize that kind of stuff? How useless is that?"

A self-described "sports fanatic" who experiences vicarious thrills through such idols as Mike Piazza and Tiki Barber, Moreland said he can't understand science-fiction fans' obsession with make-believe characters like Captain Kirk and Boba Fett.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/walking-sports-database-scorns-walking-scifi-datab,1442/

chazoe60
11-10-2014, 12:39 PM

I bought the entire set on BlueRay when it came out. The wife wasn't happy but I told her my inner Star Wars Geek took over and I could not physically walk by Star Wars on BR and not buy it. I had to. I'm glad I did too, because they look amazing on my digital projector. The boy and I are already planning an epic Star Wars marathon weekend once the snow flies.

Shazam!
11-10-2014, 12:40 PM

Once they left Tatooine, ROTJ went to ****.

BroncoJoe
11-10-2014, 12:41 PM
I bought the entire set on BlueRay when it came out. The wife wasn't happy but I told her my inner Star Wars Geek took over and I could not physically walk by Star Wars on BR and not buy it. I had to. I'm glad I did too, because they look amazing on my digital projector. The boy and I are already planning an epic Star Wars marathon weekend once the snow flies.

So, like tomorrow? :)

MOtorboat
11-10-2014, 12:44 PM
SecondSpin is usually a good source for cheaper movies. http://www.secondspin.com/s/product/2410417/Star-Wars-Episode-I-The-Phantom-Menace-Widescreen-2-Discs#.VGD1KFPF9yg

I'll take a look. Thanks. I think I've exhausted my options here locally.

MOtorboat
11-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I always think of this article when someone calls me a nerd on these forums :lol:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/walking-sports-database-scorns-walking-scifi-datab,1442/

My personalities must clash.

MasterShake
11-10-2014, 01:27 PM

That complete Bluray set is INCREDIBLE. When I am doing chores around the house or working from home I'll often fire up the special features discs and let the documentaries play. Still can't believe how great the originals look in that transfer, though I like others aren't thrilled with all the Special Edition changes (Jabba in A New Hope, the new dance number in Jedi etc.) for the most part I like what they have done with the updates.

MOtorboat
11-10-2014, 01:41 PM
The dance part in Return of the Jedi was so ridiculous. It's about the only addition from the 90s re-releases that I can criticize too much.

The Jobba scene was, at least, initially in the original script.

Slick
11-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Ravage!!!
11-11-2014, 11:07 AM
That complete Bluray set is INCREDIBLE. When I am doing chores around the house or working from home I'll often fire up the special features discs and let the documentaries play. Still can't believe how great the originals look in that transfer, though I like others aren't thrilled with all the Special Edition changes (Jabba in A New Hope, the new dance number in Jedi etc.) for the most part I like what they have done with the updates.

Until they release the blue-ray that shows that Hans shot first, I refuse to buy any of the new stuff. DUMBEST change ever for a great movie.

sneakers
11-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Marvel movies are garbage. Maybe you are right about the writing and it is just that I hate comic book movies.

Ravage!!!
11-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Marvel movies are garbage. Maybe you are right about the writing and it is just that I hate comic book movies.

To which their own.

Magnificent Seven
11-12-2014, 02:53 PM

I agree! However, they did a good job on The Empire Strikes Back movie. I didn't complain about that.

MasterShake
11-13-2014, 11:09 AM
I agree! However, they did a good job on The Empire Strikes Back movie. I didn't complain about that.

Yeah, I think a majority of the Special Edition changes are fine. Its the adding of unnecessary scenes that bothered me. Updating the special effects is about all they did with the Empire Strikes Back. The new cloud city exteriors where great.

Ravage!!!
11-13-2014, 11:16 AM
HANS SHOT FIRST, DAMNIT......thats the way it should stay.