PDA

View Full Version : The Long Way Home - DT

Denver Native (Carol)
11-06-2014, 12:00 PM
HE AWOKE TO the blast of the front door flying off its hinges, and Demaryius Thomas peeked out his bedroom window and saw six unmarked cars and a dozen police officers with their guns drawn. A pack of drug dogs roamed the front yard. The spotlight from a police cruiser cut through the predawn darkness of rural Montrose, Georgia, and shined into his single-story house. "Don't move!" Thomas remembers hearing one of the officers yell, so he ducked back into bed and hid under the sheets.

He was 11 years old on that March morning in 1999, but he already knew enough to understand what these policemen had come looking for. He already knew they would find it.

An officer in black tactical gear entered his room without knocking, pulled him from bed and led him to the kitchen table, where the rest of his family was already waiting. During the many lonely milestones still to come in Thomas' life -- at the NFL draft, the Pro Bowl, the Super Bowl -- he would think back to this moment and remember it as the last time his family sat together: his stepfather, cursing, blood running down his face from a cut suffered during the chaos of the raid; his 3-year-old sister, hysterically crying; his 9-year-old sister, shivering in her pajamas; and his mother, Katina Smith, seated in her chair, praying and sobbing and swearing that she had done nothing wrong.

rest, long article, plus video - http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11830457/denver-broncos-demaryius-thomas-dreams-reuniting-estranged-family

Denver Native (Carol)
11-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 1h

Tremendous read from http://ESPN.com ’s Eli Saslow on the life of Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas…

OB
11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks for making me cry at work Carol

Two life terms - really - people murder people - rape innocent babies and don't get that kind of sentence - that is insane - these women arent a violent threat to our society - this is what is so unjust about our "justice" system.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-06-2014, 01:53 PM
To me, DT is a great football player, and a very special person.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
11-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Some things put everything in perspective. This article; excellently written and a wonderful insight into Demaryius as a person and family member, is one of those things. The road he's travelled, the success he's achieved, what he's had to overcome is something few will ever understand. The trials and tribulations he's been through make me respect him even more.

I hope he's a Bronco for life. Professional sports needs more types of athletes like DT. As amazing a football player DT is, it pales in comparison to who DT the human being is.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 1h

Very good write-up the journey of one @DemaryiusT right here. Don't miss him on the Blitz tonight at 6pm.