PDA

View Full Version : Briefs: Montee Ball practices but must work to regain spot

Denver Native (Carol)
11-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Montee Ball lost weight but not perspective. Since suffering a right groin injury Oct. 5, Ball has dropped from 224 pounds to 212. He returned to practice Wednesday.

"I feel like I can hit the holes faster. I definitely love it," Ball said. "I was playing with that weight a little earlier, getting more bulk, but I didn't like it. I am going to stick where I am at now. You will definitely see a difference."

Ball is back, but he's no longer the No. 1 back. Ronnie Hillman secured the job and even with no success against the New England Patriots, he has averaged 4.4 yards per carry over the past five games.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26877912/montee-ball-practices-but-must-work-regain-spot

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I like his comments. He's showing some great maturity.

Also, like that he thinks he can hit the holes quicker with a little less weight. He's seeing the same thing we are. .. Hillman is hitting the holes quicker and being more successful due to that.

Northman
11-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Makes sense, i expect him to improve at some point and how a better burst.

underrated29
11-06-2014, 01:07 PM
We still arent going to be able to run very well until the OL gets its head out of its ass. I looking at you Man Ram and Cornick (and clark when montee was playing). Mostly ManRam

SR
11-06-2014, 01:10 PM
We still arent going to be able to run very well until the OL gets its head out of its ass. I looking at you Man Ram and Cornick (and clark when montee was playing). Mostly ManRam

Aside from the NE game, Hillman has been doing really well so I'm not sure what "still aren't going to be able to run very well" means.

underrated29
11-06-2014, 01:16 PM
If you havent noticed SR, our OLine sucks. Sure, hillman had two good games. One against an injured Niners team. Another against a crappy Jets squad, still good games. Against a crappy pats team we sucked. Against every other team aside from the chiefs we have sucked. The OL sucks. Hillman, Ball, Juwann, CJ could be doing a lot better if they didnt have their heads up their asses.

Or I can use the same logic as people used against me when I said it wasnt the back it was the OL. Look at the pats game. CJ anderson ran better than all of them and had fewer carries. So maybe its the back and we should start him instead of hillman, juwann, etc. No. Our OL just sucks. That is the main reason why we struggle to run the ball.

Northman
11-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Aside from the NE game, Hillman has been doing really well so I'm not sure what "still aren't going to be able to run very well" means.

Come on SR. It was clearly evident in the Cardinals game that whatever grievance the OLINE had against Montee they didnt with Hillman and Juwan. Get it together man...

tripp
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I think it's only right that Hillman remains the starter. It's his job to lose. I also think it benefits Montee Ball to have to work and win his spot back. Win-Win situation here I think. I don't want to see Juwan Thompson get lost in all of this, he deserves carries still.

swaiy
11-06-2014, 01:58 PM
If you havent noticed SR, our OLine sucks. Sure, hillman had two good games. One against an injured Niners team. Another against a crappy Jets squad, still good games. Against a crappy pats team we sucked. Against every other team aside from the chiefs we have sucked. The OL sucks. Hillman, Ball, Juwann, CJ could be doing a lot better if they didnt have their heads up their asses.

Or I can use the same logic as people used against me when I said it wasnt the back it was the OL. Look at the pats game. CJ anderson ran better than all of them and had fewer carries. So maybe its the back and we should start him instead of hillman, juwann, etc. No. Our OL just sucks. That is the main reason why we struggle to run the ball.

The pats defense isn't as crappy as people make it out to be. Evident by the results of the game.

NightTrainLayne
11-06-2014, 02:01 PM
The pats defense isn't as crappy as people make it out to be. Evident by the results of the game.

Indeed. If the Pats are crappy, we are up shit creek.

underrated29
11-06-2014, 02:12 PM

They have a pretty bad run defense. 24th? in the league I think.

underrated29
11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Come on SR. It was clearly evident in the Cardinals game that whatever grievance the OLINE had against Montee they didnt with Hillman and Juwan. Get it together man...

It was clearly evident in the cardinals game that the highest paid DE in the league Colias Campbell (who dominated our run game) was hurt and went out of the game. It was also evident that the Cardinals defense had to play 13 consecutive series against our offense with a maximum of 4 plays rest between each series.

but.........we should never let the facts get in the way and continue to believe that our Oline is actually good and we will have no problems running the ball. None whatsoever.

SR
11-06-2014, 02:30 PM
If you havent noticed SR, our OLine sucks. Sure, hillman had two good games. One against an injured Niners team. Another against a crappy Jets squad, still good games. Against a crappy pats team we sucked. Against every other team aside from the chiefs we have sucked. The OL sucks. Hillman, Ball, Juwann, CJ could be doing a lot better if they didnt have their heads up their asses. Or I can use the same logic as people used against me when I said it wasnt the back it was the OL. Look at the pats game. CJ anderson ran better than all of them and had fewer carries. So maybe its the back and we should start him instead of hillman, juwann, etc. No. Our OL just sucks. That is the main reason why we struggle to run the ball.

Check the stats on the jets run d when we played em. He had three good games and one bad since he became the starter. The o-line doesn't suck. At all. They, like every other unit on every other football team, have room to improve. Denver gave up on the run way too early against the Pats. You can't blame the line or Hillman for that. IMO, your evaluation is a tad misdirected.

SR
11-06-2014, 02:32 PM
It was clearly evident in the cardinals game that the highest paid DE in the league Colias Campbell (who dominated our run game) was hurt and went out of the game. It was also evident that the Cardinals defense had to play 13 consecutive series against our offense with a maximum of 4 plays rest between each series. but.........we should never let the facts get in the way and continue to believe that our Oline is actually good and we will have no problems running the ball. None whatsoever.

You're cherry picking like a mofo to support a really, really weak argument dude.

BroncoJoe
11-06-2014, 02:35 PM
UR has become Joel.

Timmy!
11-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Why is he evening practicing? More than half this board is convinced the season ended last Sunday.

tomjonesrocks
11-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Why is he evening practicing? More than half this board is convinced the season ended last Sunday.

More than half this board is convinced we won't see him in the Super Bowl.

There's a difference.

Timmy!
11-06-2014, 03:31 PM
More than half this board is convinced we won't see him in the Super Bowl.

There's a difference.

Its not unusual, to be wrong about this team. Its not usual, to realize they just had a bad game. But when people call them pretenders and lose all faith, its not unusual to see me smash my skull, against the wall.

Northman
11-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Check the stats on the jets run d when we played em. He had three good games and one bad since he became the starter. The o-line doesn't suck. At all. They, like every other unit on every other football team, have room to improve. Denver gave up on the run way too early against the Pats. You can't blame the line or Hillman for that. IMO, your evaluation is a tad misdirected.

^All this x20.

Northman
11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
its not unusual to see me smash my skull, against the wall.

Timmy, i got the greatest soundtrack for you too do that with. Just hit me up brother.

Nomad

It's because of a rookie kicker. LoL

underrated29
I cant agree with that. The line sucks.

But hey, I said all year long how much mike mccoy sucked as an OC for us. And all year long people tried to tell me how weak that argument was and how wrong I was. Then, as soon as he is gone we set records for the best offensive in the history of the NFL.

I will stand by my statement that the OL sucks. It is easily near last in the league in run blocking I bet.

Here is a funny stat: the 25th ranked pats rush defense held hillman to 16 Yards!!!! Hillman ran for 16 yards After contact!!!!!!!
So the Oline blocked for ZERO yards for hillman, against the 25th ranked run d. The same Run D knowshon torched for 200+
Please though my friends, dont let the facts get in the way. The Oline is actually good, its hillmans fault for running into those tacklers.

Northman
11-06-2014, 03:44 PM

But hey, I said all year long how much mike mccoy sucked as an OC for us. And all year long people tried to tell me how weak that argument was and how wrong I was. Then, as soon as he is gone we set records for the best offensive in the history of the NFL.

I will stand by my statement that the OL sucks. It is easily near last in the league in run blocking I bet.

Here is a funny stat: the 25th ranked pats rush defense held hillman to 16 Yards!!!! Hillman ran for 16 yards After contact!!!!!!!
So the Oline blocked for ZERO yards for hillman, against the 25th ranked run d. The same Run D knowshon torched for 200+
Please though my friends, dont let the facts get in the way. The Oline is actually good, its hillmans fault for running into those tacklers.

FTR, i actually agreed with you about Mccoy. Just putting that out thar. But you are incredibly wrong about the Oline/RB situation. Its ok, i forgive and still love you UR. :)

Timmy!
11-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Timmy, i got the greatest soundtrack for you too do that with. Just hit me up brother.
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1C70J/brutal/image.png

Northman
11-06-2014, 03:50 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1C70J/brutal/image.png

Totally off topic but speaking of Dethklok, Adult Swim has a new series out (oddly not by the same guys of Metalocalypse) but has to do with a demonic dog called Mr. Pickles. Here is the intro to the show. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay0zqCi17N8

underrated29
11-06-2014, 04:03 PM
No Northy. You will not sucker me into the dark side

Ravage!!!
11-06-2014, 04:03 PM

I stopped reading after this point because you lost all credibility by trying to pat yourself on teh back. You didn't notice that Manning was back to 100% healthy, that we added Welker.. and some guy by the name of Julius Thomas was now active? Those things didn't play a difference from one season to the next?

underrated29
11-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I stopped reading after this point because you lost all credibility by trying to pat yourself on teh back. You didn't notice that Manning was back to 100% healthy, that we added Welker.. and some guy by the name of Julius Thomas was now active? Those things didn't play a difference from one season to the next?

A difference yes, going from a good offense to the best in the HISTORY of the NFL difference, no. (Yards, Pass yards, TD passes, points scored- I think there is more)....yeah, welker and JT are not the two things that were missing from us being a good offense to best ever. Of All Time.

Ravage!!!
11-06-2014, 05:11 PM
A difference yes, going from a good offense to the best in the HISTORY of the NFL difference, no. (Yards, Pass yards, TD passes, points scored- I think there is more)....yeah, welker and JT are not the two things that were missing from us being a good offense to best ever. Of All Time.

How about the rule changes? Lets just keep piling on the advantages that our offense had over offenses in the past, and while we do that, you just keep focusing in on the one thing that you think was all the difference.

underrated29
11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Specifiaclly cite the rule changes from 2 years ago to last year that made such a big difference in NFL offenses. If they were such severe rule changes we should be able to easily chart on a graph for example how BIG a difference that one year to the next was, in addition to a direct correlation on every teams scoring and reversing trends on teams defenses. We should not have any defenses performing any where near record status with the way those rules are changing as you state.

Lets see those rules and the data, Rav.

dogfish
11-08-2014, 12:17 AM
UR has become Joel.

only to the utter homers. . . UR's not unreasonable-- some people just can't bear to hear so much as a single word of criticism spoken about their beloved broncos-- even if it's constructive. . .

"OMFG, he said the o-line isn't good? sinner! burn him!"

nah. . . joel is a straight-up spammin' troll. . . UR's a good dude-- he just has a habit of annoying people because he constantly tries to pat himself on the back if he gets something right. . . :lol:

underrated29
11-08-2014, 12:47 AM
V
only to the utter homers. . . UR's not unreasonable-- some people just can't bear to hear so much as a single word of criticism spoken about their beloved broncos-- even if it's constructive. . .

"OMFG, he said the o-line isn't good? sinner! burn him!"

nah. . . joel is a straight-up spammin' troll. . . UR's a good dude-- he just has a habit of annoying people because he constantly tries to pat himself on the back if he gets something right. . . :lol:

Well when I have to defend myself from nearly half the board and then get called out when things do on occasion work like they are supposed to. You can bet I will be letting all know that the crow is being served. The difference is I would fully expect and accept if the situations were reversed.

Now you could say I should tone it down a notch but come on......where is the fun in that!

MOtorboat
11-08-2014, 01:00 AM
Except you weren't right about McCoy and now you're complaining about Gase....

:coffee:

SR
11-08-2014, 01:00 AM
You're not right all the time.

underrated29
11-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Except you weren't right about McCoy and now you're complaining about Gase....

:coffee:

Yes I was.
No I'm not.

underrated29
11-08-2014, 01:04 AM
You're not right all the time.

Nope. Not even close. Shit, have you seen my prediction thread. Full of awesome fail. But I am always right when it comes to Mo ;)

SR
11-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Nope. Not even close. Shit, have you seen my prediction thread. Full of awesome fail. But I am always right when it comes to Mo ;)

MO is always right.

dogfish
11-08-2014, 02:46 AM
MO is always right.

if MO's wrong, i don't wanna be right. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
11-08-2014, 08:37 AM

You have to look at the Pats game with some perspective. The Pats' played the perfect defensive scheme against us. They knew the strong winds that night and the fact that we ran well against them last year would cause us to attempt to run early and often against them this time. They pretty much left their corners on an island and focused on stopping the run. It worked. Then they got a big lead early which made us one dimensional (exactly what they wanted) and so we all but had to abandon the running game. You can't blame Hillman and/or the O-line for lack of a running game when we al but abandoned it mid-way through the second quarter. Had the score been closer at halftime (when the wind died down), we would've had a much better chance to have had a more balanced offense in the second half and that would've helped with getting the running game jump started.

If you think about it, we've done the same thing this year to our opponents (SD, NY, AZ, SF). We shut down their running games and once we got a lead forced them to pass which played to the strength of our pass rush and secondary. Every defense tries to make the other team one dimensional. NE was successful due to getting behind early and the wind affecting what we could do in the passing game.

Valar Morghulis
11-09-2014, 05:41 AM
I dont think our O-Line is the laughing stock of the league or anything, but i think we will struggle in the post season if our run game does not improve - that comes from the O-line, the RB and the play calling.

If teams genuinely feared our running game - the Pats/Seahawks game plan's against us, would not work. We would be almost unstooppable.

To this end, i see no harm in trying Montgomery at Centre or generally shifting the O-Line to see the results, remember the Ravens completely re-ordered their O-Line in week 12 (i think) the year they won the big one.

Changes can be made, and subtle changes are needed. But lets not kid ourselves - we are very good football team. The 98 Broncos got beat by Miami and TD was held to about 30 yds (i think) these things happen, but it does not condemn our season - we have lost twice this year, the Seattle game was close - NE was embarrassing. but we have beaten the Cards, the Colts, the Chargers and the 49ers. We have therefore beaten good football teams - because we ARE a good football team.

I also don't get this thing about Fox - apart from challenges, Time Outs and decisions to go on 4 and 6 etc how significant do we think he really is to the Broncos failures this year, we can not blame Fox for the coaching of the O-Line, the offensive play calling, Manning's audibles or the fact Von ended up on Gronk.

Fox is a figure head, and one that has the players respect, they like him and they want to play for him.