PDA

View Full Version : Not one WR screen at NE all day...

MHCBill
11-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I know, I know... easy to second guess, and after how well NE supposedly defended it last year Gase tore it out of the playbook for yesterday's game. However, to me what makes the best coaches are those that can prepare a team mentally for a game during pracitices and can tactly improvise during one. Our gameday coaching has a lot to be desired, based upon very few adjustments and management of situations.

It was fairly easy to see the Patriots depended upon "A" gap pressure in critical situations to move Manning out of the pocket, which he did often when NE sent more than 4 rushers. A few well timed WR screens or the threat of those screens would have either led to potential big yardage plays or some apprehension by NE to call so many "A" gap blitzes.

Who knows, but to see a team that relies heavily on WR screens not run even one during the game felt as if NE was dictating versus Denver.

CoachChaz
11-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Sometimes I think Gase over-thinks things and tries too hard to change up what works.

Slick
11-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Sanders roasted Revis on a crossing pattern on the first touchdown drive. I'm surprised they went away from that.

MHCBill
11-03-2014, 10:43 AM
sometimes i think gase over-thinks things and tries too hard to change up what works.exactly

MHCBill
11-03-2014, 10:47 AM
As a coach I know I have a few "bedrock" principles I employ during games. You have to know what your defining values and core beliefs are, then when the sh!% hits the fan during the game rely on those. DO NOT SECOND GUESS YOURSELF DURING A GAME!! Stick with your beliefs...

Denver is a pass first team and they need to embrace that and look for more balance in games if that opportunity presents itself. Utilize your strengths, dictate what you want to do, rely on your principles...

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
It will make the people happy who were complainging about seeing nothing but wr screens after the Seattle game.

Dapper Dan
11-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Wow. Really? I didn't even notice that.

Northman
11-03-2014, 11:39 AM
The screens wouldnt have worked anyway. Just wasnt our day and Manning sucks when playing at NE.

Mike
11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Coaching failed again today. I am almost convinced that every win is due to the talent of the players and the lack thereof of the other team. Denver just doesn't get a real advantage when it comes to coaching.

Why do you start games trying to run Hillman? And persist on running on 1st down. And never learn from it. Hillman isn't what they want him to be. He can be effective, but not to start drives and not in short yardage situations.

Why play conservative offense? You got a freaking muscle car, stop driving it like it's a damn Pento.

Where the heck is JT in this offense? You can't tell me you can only find a way to look his way 2 times with guys like DT and Sanders occupying defenders.

Why do you not have our best CB covering their best WR? Why do you have Talib playing soft coverage even when he is consistently getting beat with it?

Why not call a TO when you see Miller on Gronk?

Why don't you know your opponents weakness and seek to exploit it? Brady hates pressure from the middle and in his face, but let's not try to make that happen.

McManus should be gone this week. Bring someone else in.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-03-2014, 11:47 AM
The screens wouldnt have worked anyway. Just wasnt our day and Manning sucks when playing at NE.

The reason they wouldn't have worked is that they played press man coverage (right in our receivers' faces) all game. It's the exact scheme I was hoping we'd play but once again, we didn't. In order for the screen to work, defenders need to play off coverage allowing the QB to hit the screen and the 2nd WR to be able to lay a block. That doesn't work with the defender on the LOS every play. Try it against press man and it's 6 going the other way.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Coaching failed again today. I am almost convinced that every win is due to the talent of the players and the lack thereof of the other team. Denver just doesn't get a real advantage when it comes to coaching.

Why do you start games trying to run Hillman? And persist on running on 1st down. And never learn from it. Hillman isn't what they want him to be. He can be effective, but not to start drives and not in short yardage situations. They figured that establishing the run vs NE's typically porous run defense would help take the pressure off. Additionally, the wind was still gusting pretty badly in the first quarter and we started against the wind.

Why play conservative offense? You got a freaking muscle car, stop driving it like it's a damn Pento. Except that our offense is still a timing based offense. They played press man coverage with inside pass rush pressure which affects the timing. It's exactly what I wanted us to do to them. We either couldn't effectively block the A gap blitzes or the receivers couldn't get off the jam fast enough for us to actually burn them with it (what you have to do to get them out of it).

Where the heck is JT in this offense? You can't tell me you can only find a way to look his way 2 times with guys like DT and Sanders occupying defenders. The Pats did a good job manning Browner up on him most of the time (when he actually ran routes). Most of the time, he had to stay in to help/chip with Cornick. They showed several plays where he was blanketed (often doubled) when he actually ran routes. He just wasn't open.

Why do you not have our best CB covering their best WR? Why do you have Talib playing soft coverage even when he is consistently getting beat with it? This I can't explain at all. We should've had our guys in man press coverage and had Talib matched up on Gronk all night. We didn't and I have no idea why. It also didn't help that our "league's best pass rush" couldn't get any pressure. Pretty much the whole defense including the coaches had a terrible game.

Why not call a TO when you see Miller on Gronk? Would it have mattered? Honestly, all Miller had to do was jam the shit out of Gronk and disrupt him a little. He didn't, he let him run free just like we did to all the NE receivers all night.

Why don't you know your opponents weakness and seek to exploit it? Brady hates pressure from the middle and in his face, but let's not try to make that happen. Exactly. It's frustrating when everyone - the analysts, the fans, the commentators, etc all seem to know it but it seems like it's the question of the century when it comes to the Broncos.

McManus should be gone this week. Bring someone else in. I agree. I was deployed so I missed the first couple of games (first game I saw was Seattle) but McManus has missed more FGs than he's made in the games I've seen (not counting XPs) We have nothing invested in the guy and he can't hit a 40 yard FG reliably. There are tons of street FAs out there that can kick better. We don't need a guy who can hit from 64 every game, just a guy who is in the 80-90% range on routine (45 yards or less) FGs.

I tried to respond to your thoughts above. We agree on just about everything.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
No bubble screens, you say that like its a bad thing.

MOtorboat
11-04-2014, 04:19 AM

Why do you start games trying to run Hillman? And persist on running on 1st down. And never learn from it. Hillman isn't what they want him to be. He can be effective, but not to start drives and not in short yardage situations.

25 first down passes. 12 first down runs.

TXBRONC
11-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Let me see if I have this right. First the complaint is that Denver uses way to many bubble screens now it's they didn't use them enough?

Ravage!!!
11-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Manning is the one calling the plays, remember? Seems when its a great game, we give credit to Manning and say that the OC doesn't really have a job. When things don't we blame the coaching staff.

If they were playing hard press on our WRs all game long, where do you see us getting separation to throw the WR screen?

Do we know how many times it was called in the huddle and then changed at the LoS?

NightTrainLayne
11-04-2014, 01:18 PM

I'm just cherry-picking one comment here, but I don't mind some first down runs, and starting a drive. .. .especially the first drive, on the road, in not perfect weather.

I've thought for 9 months now that I wish we would have started the SuperBowl with a run up the gut. . .probably would have been stuffed for no gain, but it would have gotten the jitters out, and let the team settle a bit. Instead. .. . well, we tried to pass, and audible into something else, and Safety.

I doubt it would have made a difference in the end result, but maybe we wouldn't have started off shell-shocked down a score and trying to climb back out.

Tebowtime2011
11-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Let me see if I have this right. First the complaint is that Denver uses way to many bubble screens now it's they didn't use them enough? Exactly fans always think they know more than coaches because they have 20/20 hindsight

slim
11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't care about the bubble screens, but why the hell did Tamme get like 5 or 6 targets?

They were all wasted plays....

WTE
11-04-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't care about the bubble screens, but why the hell did Tamme get like 5 or 6 targets?

They were all wasted plays....

and boy was Peyton pissed with his drop in the corner of the end zone.

Tangerine
11-04-2014, 06:00 PM
As a coach I know I have a few "bedrock" principles I employ during games. You have to know what your defining values and core beliefs are, then when the sh!% hits the fan during the game rely on those. DO NOT SECOND GUESS YOURSELF DURING A GAME!! Stick with your beliefs...

Denver is a pass first team and they need to embrace that and look for more balance in games if that opportunity presents itself. Utilize your strengths, dictate what you want to do, rely on your principles...

In fairness, Manning did throw the ball 57 times.....

I guess he should've thrown it 100 times?

Simple Jaded
11-05-2014, 12:20 AM
In fairness, Manning did throw the ball 57 times.....

I guess he should've thrown it 100 times?

Mike Hawk has a point.