PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson: Better together

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2014, 11:18 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson arrived in the same draft class, possess similar skill sets and found their niche in the same role: rotating between defensive end and tackle based on the down, distance and personnel grouping.

They fight for the same snaps. They push each other in practice. And more often this year, they work together. The result of their labor is perhaps the most athletic and quickest front-four sub package in the game today: Wolfe and Jackson on the inside, with Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware on the outside.

Wolfe and Jackson stunt, twist and draw double-teams. On the Broncos' last four sacks, Jackson attracted one double-team and Wolfe drew three. The calculus is simple: if one attracts two blockers, the others -- including Miller and Ware -- get one-on-ones.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Derek-Wolfe-and-Malik-Jackson-Better-together/0dd6294f-0b2d-433d-98dd-4b6460378412

Ziggy
10-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Crazy that teams would be doubling our tackles while Von and DeMarcus are on the outside. Nice game planning by JDR. The stunting more or less forces the offenses to use another man blocking inside.

Joel
10-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Wolfe drew a ton of doubles last year while Miller was suspended, even though he was never really right after Seattle smacked him in the spine because they needed to win a PRESEASON game so badly. I frankly think (as I did a year ago) the real story is Wolfe and Von Miller are greater than the sum of the parts: Opponents can't double team BOTH of them PLUS Ware; they'd only have a QB and 2 eligible receivers left. And Potroast would still be one-on-one. In other words, what the article talks about is nothing we didn't do all last year: We're just far healthier now.

I'm hoping to see a lot of stunts Sunday, both because pressure up the gut's the only way to reliably pressure elite quick read/release QBs like Manning and Brady, and because NEs interior linemen aren't as good as their starting OT pair. Especially with Knighton pushing the pocket and eating blockers, our "edge" rushers could well do far more damage inside, and in our base D Von Miller can come from anywhere.

SR
10-31-2014, 01:14 PM
More senseless off topic rambling.

Wolfe is a stud. I've been kinda hard on him since we drafted him but he's playing great ball this year. I'm also really glad to see how Malik has grown in the last season and a half.

Joel
10-31-2014, 01:33 PM
Yes, talking about stunts and double teams after someone talks about stunts and double teams in response to an article talking about stunts and double teams is totally unrelated; sorry. :rolleyes:

BroncoWave
10-31-2014, 02:38 PM

Wolfe is a stud. I've been kinda hard on him since we drafted him but he's playing great ball this year. I'm also really glad to see how Malik has grown in the last season and a half.

Dude, there was nothing wrong with that post. It was completely on topic. Like I said in the other thread, you're trolling him just to troll him at this point.

SR
10-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Dude, there was nothing wrong with that post. It was completely on topic. Like I said in the other thread, you're trolling him just to troll him at this point.

Yep