PDA

View Full Version : Where does Champ rank?

aberdien
10-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Historically, how far is he down the list of greatest CBs in NFL history?

I think he's a solid top 10 guy, and maybe a top 5, but I can't think of a whole lot of corners right now. Deion, Darrell Green, Rod Woodson, NTL are the top guys who I can think of off the top of my head.

tripp
10-28-2014, 04:14 PM
You're forgetting the greatest CB ever to grace the history of football and that is still playing... Richard Sherman. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, always admired Charles Woodson, also thought it was pretty cool for him to come back to Oakland.

DenBronx
10-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Top 5 for sure. CB is a hard position to judge who ranks where because teams were scared to throw at Champ for alot of his career. His stats I think are very good and he was shut down. Wasn't afraid to tackle either.

Had he won 1 or 2 Lombardis he would be a clear cut top #2 CB, maybe #1. I believe that's a factor whether some believe it or not.

DenBronx
10-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Side note: it's a shame Shanahan didn't build a better defense around him all of those years. He tried to band aide it each year and I think Champ probably had 9 or so DCs here in Denver. No consistency, no identity and not enough talent around him. He Bailey been on the Steelers or Ravens defense then he really would had shined.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2014, 04:41 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 3h

To me, it's Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, "Night Train" Lane and Mel Blount in the discussion for greatest cornerback ever.

tomjonesrocks
10-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 3h To me, it's Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, "Night Train" Lane and Mel Blount in the discussion for greatest cornerback ever.

No Deion, Andrew?

I Eat Staples
10-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Greatest ever.

I Eat Staples
10-28-2014, 06:22 PM
No Deion, Andrew?

Deion wasn't as good as those guys IMO. Biggest playmaker but not the most complete player.

Joel
10-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 3h

To me, it's Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, "Night Train" Lane and Mel Blount in the discussion for greatest cornerback ever.
That's a pretty good list. I think I'd have to go with Night Train for two reasons:

1) He was an UDFA and
2) He STILL holds the season Int record he set as ROOKIE when seasons were only 12 games.

It still boggles my mind: Guys have been playing CB for half a CENTURY since, playing 2 more games since '61 and 4 more since '78—and the closest ANY of them got to that record was Lester Hayes getting one less in 1980. Not to mention that 1952 was 180° from the modern passing league, meaning teams threw far less and DBs had to be solid tacklers; Dick Lane was a widely and rightly feared tackler.

I'd put Everson Walls in the all-time top 5 also; like Night Train Lane, he was an UDFA but led the NFL in Ints his rookie year (even he did end his teams season by allowing The Catch.) He led the NFL in Ints two OTHER seasons after that, a feat still unmatched, and shares the career Pro Bowl Int record with Deion and—Champ Bailey. Canton has a five year wait for a reason, but even half a decade from now, I'm pretty confident most people will agree Champ's one of the best five ever, and arguably #1 (I just can't get past all the positive asterisks for Night Train Lane.)

Tned
10-29-2014, 08:34 AM
As mentioned, I think it's hard to measure DBs against each other, since they play different competition, different defensive schemes, their teams have different pass rush abilities, which impacts how good a DB performs.

That said, what I saw with Bailey, prior to the last few years of his career, was someone that could play the run and the pass about as well as anyone I've ever seen. It was his affinity for playing the run that caused him to get the separated shoulder and forced him to wear a brace for the last 8 years or so of his career. If you watched him, he rarely lined up facing the WR, as so many did, instead, he would play off, line up facing the QB, would often look for the run first, and if it was, charge the line to stop the run, and if it was a pass or play action, he was fast enough to reverse and catch up to the WR and breakup the pass, often with a fingertip after a leap, after a sprint to catchup.

For a big part of his career, WRs rarely scored on him.

He's clearly one of the greatest of all times. The best? I have no clue, but certainly in the discussion of GOAT level CBs.

Bronco9798
10-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Champ was the best open field tackler ever. He ranks first on that list!

Joel
10-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Champ was the best open field tackler ever. He ranks first on that list!
Among CBs, you mean? Night Train Lane might dispute that, but if you mean at ANY position, Butkus and many others would argue the point, too. And I wouldn't argue about ANYTHING with Butkus.... :ahhhhh:

Bronco9798
10-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Among CBs, you mean? Night Train Lane might dispute that, but if you mean at ANY position, Butkus and many others would argue the point, too. And I wouldn't argue about ANYTHING with Butkus.... :ahhhhh:

When it came to technique and going low, at every position. His technique was flawless. He rarely tackled high. He was a technician at lower leg tackling. The best. Butkus would crush you , hit you high, low, manhandle you, but Champ had technique. It's really not even debatable.

Bronco9798
10-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Canmore
10-29-2014, 02:33 PM
As mentioned, I think it's hard to measure DBs against each other, since they play different competition, different defensive schemes, their teams have different pass rush abilities, which impacts how good a DB performs.

That said, what I saw with Bailey, prior to the last few years of his career, was someone that could play the run and the pass about as well as anyone I've ever seen. It was his affinity for playing the run that caused him to get the separated shoulder and forced him to wear a brace for the last 8 years or so of his career. If you watched him, he rarely lined up facing the WR, as so many did, instead, he would play off, line up facing the QB, would often look for the run first, and if it was, charge the line to stop the run, and if it was a pass or play action, he was fast enough to reverse and catch up to the WR and breakup the pass, often with a fingertip after a leap, after a sprint to catchup.

For a big part of his career, WRs rarely scored on him.

He's clearly one of the greatest of all times. The best? I have no clue, but certainly in the discussion of GOAT level CBs.

Most complete corner I've ever seen. His coverage was flawless and matched by his run support.

Northman
10-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Out of the players ive seen physically play over the years this would be my top 10.

1. Darrell Green
2. Charles Woodson
3. Champ Bailey
4. Eric Allen
5. Deion Sanders
6. Rod Woodson
7. Michael Haynes
8. Ronde Barber
9. Ty Law
10. Terrell Buckley

Joel
10-29-2014, 05:37 PM
When it came to technique and going low, at every position. His technique was flawless. He rarely tackled high. He was a technician at lower leg tackling. The best. Butkus would crush you , hit you high, low, manhandle you, but Champ had technique. It's really not even debatable.
Pretty sure going low is only a "form tackle" in the recent flag football era; traditionally, form tackles go high and wrap up, so the ball carrier can't just step out and/or pull lose, plus going high from the front stops momentum so guys get stood up or halted long enough for others to arrive and finish the play even if the initial tackle fails. It's also safer because it doesn't put sudden extreme torque on joints. Form tackles also keep the head up so the tackler's not leading with his head and compressing his neck, and can see and track where he's hitting.

None of that's to say Champ wasn't an excellent tackler; sometimes defenders must grab whatever they legally can. I doubt anyone ever TRIED to end Bo Jacksons career, a guy just made a diving ankle tackle from behind and, Bo being Bo, he just had so much sheer power he yanked his own hip out of its socket. But a form tackle aims for center of mass, which ain't the legs, and had a lot to do with why Butkus manhandled guys so thoroughly (as well as why he retired with John McCains shoulders.)

Bronco9798
10-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Pretty sure going low is only a "form tackle" in the recent flag football era; traditionally, form tackles go high and wrap up, so the ball carrier can't just step out and/or pull lose, plus going high from the front stops momentum so guys get stood up or halted long enough for others to arrive and finish the play even if the initial tackle fails. It's also safer because it doesn't put sudden extreme torque on joints. Form tackles also keep the head up so the tackler's not leading with his head and compressing his neck, and can see and track where he's hitting.

None of that's to say Champ wasn't an excellent tackler; sometimes defenders must grab whatever they legally can. I doubt anyone ever TRIED to end Bo Jacksons career, a guy just made a diving ankle tackle from behind and, Bo being Bo, he just had so much sheer power he yanked his own hip out of its socket. But a form tackle aims for center of mass, which ain't the legs, and had a lot to do with why Butkus manhandled guys so thoroughly (as well as why he retired with John McCains shoulders.)

Again, one of the best open field tacklers to play in the NFL.

Canmore
10-29-2014, 09:08 PM

Yes. Rarely missed a tackle. Very rarely fooled.

Joel
10-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Night Train Lane seldom missed tackles either, and—if FORCED to pick—I'd prefer Champ hit me low (or anywhere) over a Night Train Necktie. And Butkus didn't tackle: He destroyed.

broncofaninfla
10-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Champ was as good as any corner to play the game. The case could be easily argued as him being the best.

tripp
10-30-2014, 09:39 AM
The best part of Champ's game, was the way he conducted himself. Confident and not in your face with the media, or post game interviews. He knew he was the best, and there wasn't much to debate as he proved it week in and week out with his play on the field. He doesn't have to constantly remind everyone that he's the best, it just shows up on highlights.

LTC Pain
10-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Champ chomped a lot of chumps :)