PDA

View Full Version : Peyton tells Denver Crowd to shut up.

ShaneFalco
10-23-2014, 11:56 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/10/23/7056115/peyton-manning-yells-at-denver-crowd-to-shut-up

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2387222/realmadmanning.0.gif

jhildebrand
10-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Ridiculous. I contend that his need for a library quiet stadium when he is on offense is a large part of why he struggles at times especially in the Super Bowls. The Super Bowl has crowds that are mostly non fans and ones where he has no sway over the crowd. Get over it and play football!

I recall Elway and company talking about it being so loud at home at times that they had a hard time hearing their own calls but they relished it.

GEM
10-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Ridiculous. I contend that his need for a library quiet stadium when he is on offense his a large part of why he struggles at times especially in the Super Bowls. The Super Bowl has crowds that are mostly non fans and ones where he has no sway over the crowd. Get over it and play football!

I recall Elway and company talking about it being so loud at home at times that they had a hard time hearing their own calls but they relished it.

I would agree with this. There are just some things that you can't control. I think it would serve him better to let go of trying to control it. As Nike says....Just Do It!

Dapper Dan
10-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Is it not common knowledge in Denver to be quiet when the offense is lined up?

OB
10-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Ridiculous. I contend that his need for a library quiet stadium when he is on offense his a large part of why he struggles at times especially in the Super Bowls. The Super Bowl has crowds that are mostly non fans and ones where he has no sway over the crowd. Get over it and play football!

Exactly - it was a HUGE factor in our SB loss IMHO

GEM
10-24-2014, 11:47 AM

I've been to 3 games this year and Denver has been remarkably quiet when Peyton has the ball. Much more so than last year. The last couple of years it has been an issue, but this year, it's definitely been different at the games I went to. Much quieter.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-24-2014, 11:55 AM

I agree. In fact, in other game day threads, posters were calling out the fans for making noise when the Broncos were on offense. I'm sure the fans in Seattle do not make noise when their offense is on the field.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-24-2014, 12:49 PM
He was looking at the sideline when that happened, not the crowd. Talib and a few other players were dancing it up on the sideline, which in turn was put on the big screen by the sound man, which in turn caused the crowd to follow along.

Manning was telling the sideline to shut up, not the crowd.

Dapper Dan
10-24-2014, 01:07 PM
We should prank call Manning all night before a game so he doesn't get much rest. We should throw eggs at the players before they enter the stadium. We need to make home games feel like road games so the team is always prepared. It's genius.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-24-2014, 01:15 PM
We should prank call Manning all night before a game so he doesn't get much rest. We should throw eggs at the players before they enter the stadium. We need to make home games feel like road games so the team is always prepared. It's genius.

LOL, good point.

DenBronx
10-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Hey, I like Mannings perfection.

tripp
10-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Read that Manning was pissed at the scoreboard operator, as he was playing music and showing aqib talib dancing on the sidelines which got the crowd fired up when Manning and co. were on the field.

Regardless of whether the SB is loud or not, your home should respect it, and keep quiet while the offence is on the field. I wouldn't go as far and start ridiculing people in the stands that are cheering, I would just question why you would when you should know Manning wants a quiet environment. Even if the casual fan doesn't know they should be quiet, on almost every scoreboard, even the small ones, has something saying "quiet please".

Tned
10-24-2014, 04:19 PM

I disagree. One has nothing to do with another.

When they are preparing to play on the road, they prepare with hand signals, and the like. At home, it's assumed, not just in Denver, but other places, that the crowd won't be screaming and stomping when the offense is on the field. Elway and Sharpe used to do the same thing to the home crowd back in the '90s. It's not that you "can't" play with crowd noise, it's that in the week leading up to a home game, you don't prepare based on a hostile, loud crowd.

Making the statement that Manning can't plan in noise, indicates that he can't win on the road, at least in noisy stadiums. Look at his record in Denver, as well as Indy, and that assumption just falls flat.

Tned
10-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Read that Manning was pissed at the scoreboard operator, as he was playing music and showing aqib talib dancing on the sidelines which got the crowd fired up when Manning and co. were on the field.

Regardless of whether the SB is loud or not, your home should respect it, and keep quiet while the offence is on the field. I wouldn't go as far and start ridiculing people in the stands that are cheering, I would just question why you would when you should know Manning wants a quiet environment. Even if the casual fan doesn't know they should be quiet, on almost every scoreboard, even the small ones, has something saying "quiet please".

Yea, it's called a home field advantage for a reason, and that reason isn't just because you get to sleep in your own bed (actually, a lot of teams put their players up in local hotels prior to home games, can't remember if Denver does, but I think so).

BroncoJoe
10-24-2014, 04:23 PM
I have no problem with him saying that.

OB
10-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Yea, it's called a home field advantage for a reason, and that reason isn't just because you get to sleep in your own bed (actually, a lot of teams put their players up in local hotels prior to home games, can't remember if Denver does, but I think so).

They do - Benny posted on FB that they stayed at the hotel he was working at I think for the SF game

GEM
10-24-2014, 05:31 PM
A fan that was at the game last night was just on KOA. She says that yes they played Jump Around, everyone got excited, but the reason they showed Rivers on the jumbotron and it got louder was because Rivers was taunting the fans and yelling things at them and so they started yelling back at him.

ShaneFalco
10-24-2014, 07:26 PM
He was looking at the sideline when that happened, not the crowd. Talib and a few other players were dancing it up on the sideline, which in turn was put on the big screen by the sound man, which in turn caused the crowd to follow along.

Manning was telling the sideline to shut up, not the crowd.read the article. there is a vine on there of him flapping his arms like a bird.

MasterShake
10-24-2014, 10:15 PM
I was at the game and it looked like Manning was pissed at Talib and a few other players hyping the crowd up which started with whoever runs Thundervision on the big screens. Like others pointed out he was zooming in on Rivers, but he was just looking like a douchebag watching the game, no taunting. I don't even think he knew the camera was on him. The Broncos sideline was the one that kept the crowd going too long, but Manning needs to lighten up a bit. I do understand that his control issues are part of what makes him a great player, though.

jhildebrand
10-24-2014, 10:30 PM
I disagree. One has nothing to do with another.

When they are preparing to play on the road, they prepare with hand signals, and the like. At home, it's assumed, not just in Denver, but other places, that the crowd won't be screaming and stomping when the offense is on the field. Elway and Sharpe used to do the same thing to the home crowd back in the '90s. It's not that you "can't" play with crowd noise, it's that in the week leading up to a home game, you don't prepare based on a hostile, loud crowd.

Making the statement that Manning can't plan in noise, indicates that he can't win on the road, at least in noisy stadiums. Look at his record in Denver, as well as Indy, and that assumption just falls flat.

I didn't make the assumption that he can't play on the road nor did I say as much. I simply pointed out that perhaps he is too used to the quiet and that it affects him in neutral site games/super bowls. I recall hearing a quote that the noise against Seattle in NY was a factor. It could do him some good to deal with the noise as this year's SB is in AZ and could be even louder for the O's first drive if they make it that far.

Also, I recall Elway and company talking about the noise at home being difficult at times to hear their own play calls but they relished it and fed off it. For me, it seems pretty petty coming from a guy many consider to be the GOAT.

Nomad
10-24-2014, 11:02 PM
LoL.....I understand Peyton is the master of audibles, but let your teammates and fans enjoy the moment as well. It's not like it was the game deciding drive.

Tned
10-25-2014, 01:04 AM
I didn't make the assumption that he can't play on the road nor did I say as much. I simply pointed out that perhaps he is too used to the quiet and that it affects him in neutral site games/super bowls. I recall hearing a quote that the noise against Seattle in NY was a factor. It could do him some good to deal with the noise as this year's SB is in AZ and could be even louder for the O's first drive if they make it that far.

Also, I recall Elway and company talking about the noise at home being difficult at times to hear their own play calls but they relished it and fed off it. For me, it seems pretty petty coming from a guy many consider to be the GOAT.

Again, it just doesn't make sense. He's played something like 250 games, half of which have been on the road, and has probably won about 70-75% of those noisy road games. Come on, it's just a silly premise.

Further, some of you guys maybe to young to remember Elway, Sharpe and company flapping their arms at home to quiet the crowd, just like Manning does.

This isn't anything unique. This is common for offensive players, QB and otherwise, to attempt to quiet the crowd, and for defensive players to make gestures to get the crowd to make noise.

While I remember Elway being harassed about not being able to win the big one or giving out cheap Halloween candy, I never heard any complaints about him flapping his arms to get the crowd to shutup.

Back to Manning. Crowd noise has never been his problem. Anyone that has watched much of him over the last 16 years or so knows the one thing that causes him to struggle, and that's getting hit. Over the years, when teams like Pitt or others have managed to harass him in the pocket, he has struggled. His release is so fast, most teams don't have a pass rush capable of rushing him, but when a team can pressure him in the pocket, he at time struggles. I've never seen him struggle due to noise. At home or on the road.

Valar Morghulis
10-25-2014, 05:04 AM
Exactly - it was a HUGE factor in our SB loss IMHO

Only on the opening snap - the rest of it was just down to us being beaten (badly) by a better team and an inability to prevent them getting pressure on manning

Joel
10-25-2014, 06:39 AM
Only on the opening snap - the rest of it was just down to us being beaten (badly) by a better team and an inability to prevent them getting pressure on manning
Even that wasn't about the noise affecting MANNING, it was about Ramirez messing up the silent count so he chunked the ball back when the QB wasn't expecting it. It's not like Ramirez never messed up the snap count before or since. But as Tned said, we shouldn't have to practice silent counts all week before a HOME game, and I doubt we do.

Nomad
10-25-2014, 08:59 AM
BRONCOS were winning by 2 touchdowns in the 4h quarter, and pretty much the game was sealed. I can't remember the Elway scenario, but I would assume it was during many of his 4th quarter comebacks.

Manning could take a chill pill every now and then, and pull the stick out.

Joel
10-25-2014, 01:05 PM
BRONCOS were winning by 2 touchdowns in the 4h quarter, and pretty much the game was sealed. I can't remember the Elway scenario, but I would assume it was during many of his 4th quarter comebacks.

Manning could take a chill pill every now and then, and pull the stick out.
He could, but the fact he DOESN'T is the difference between him being a first ballot HoFer and Ryan Leaf being Montana State Prison Inmate #3005025. Think I prefer him as he is. ;)

Nomad
10-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Just saying.....have a little fun in the moment. Manning has proven himself.

Joel
10-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Just saying.....have a little fun in the moment. Manning has proven himself.
Before this team can see Peyton Manning enjoy the moment, it must go out and help him win another Ring; he'll be ALL business until/unless it does, because that's the whole of his remaining NFL business.

Since Manning arrived, it's too often felt like too many of his teammates (and maybe even his coach) want to RIDE him to a Ring. Manning's spent most of his career on great teams that missed championships because they read their own press clippings, phoned in games etc. He has ONE SB and a pair of AFC Championship Rings to show for all that: He knows how easily even the most talented team can blow a championship in a single play, how many good plays even the best team needs to win one against a series of good teams—and he knows he's running out of time....

He drives himself and everyone around him pitilessly, and a lot of that's just consummate professionalism, but some of it can't help being urgency. We need more Morenos and less Deckers.

Simple Jaded
10-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Mike High Stadium crowd noise doesn't have an On/Off switch and/or Volume control like they do in Indy, that's the problem.

Joel
10-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Mike High Stadium crowd noise doesn't have an On/Off switch and/or Volume control like they do in Indy, that's the problem.
If you mean Manning long ago taught the Indy crowd to keep their yaps shut when their team has the ball, sure.

Joker56
10-25-2014, 08:02 PM
I rather see him doing what he did...
Playing 60 minutes ,not 57...
We were up by 14,ok... but... we could have given up 2 scores..(Ok...
only in RIVERS dreams....)

Joel
10-25-2014, 08:41 PM
I rather see him doing what he did...
Playing 60 minutes ,not 57...
We were up by 14,ok... but... we could have given up 2 scores..(Ok...
only in RIVERS dreams....)
Exactly: It's over when it's over; anything <100% ANY TIME before that is asking to be beaten by the 48 professional athelets on the other side. It's not like we were playing the Raiders or Jags either.

Frankly, I just hope the rest of the team was taking notes. I know DT gets it; he didn't set a SB receptions record and catch our only score by showing up late nor leaving early, but next week where headed to Foxborough; last time we were there we blew a 24-0 halftime lead, kinda like the 24-0 lead we nearly blew to open this season. Champions play from kickoff to gun, which is how long most of our offense DIDN'T play Super Bowl XLVIII. We played full games twice in a row just four days apart this week: Witness the results.

Runamok
10-26-2014, 11:22 AM
LoL.....I understand Peyton is the master of audibles, but let your teammates and fans enjoy the moment as well. It's not like it was the game deciding drive.

The game was, for all intents and purposes, over at that point.

Peyton is a great QB. He is also ANAL. Calling out the scoreboard operator on national TV for basically doing one aspect of his job, pumping up the crowd, when the game is sealed is petty.

Even if someone thinks he has an issue with the noise thing, he could have quietly addressed it with the coaching staff and Elway. Manning made himself look foolish and opened himself up to all the criticism with that public complaint.

Runamok
10-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Exactly: It's over when it's over; anything <100% ANY TIME before that is asking to be beaten by the 48 professional athelets on the other side. It's not like we were playing the Raiders or Jags either.

Frankly, I just hope the rest of the team was taking notes. I know DT gets it; he didn't set a SB receptions record and catch our only score by showing up late nor leaving early, but next week where headed to Foxborough; last time we were there we blew a 24-0 halftime lead, kinda like the 24-0 lead we nearly blew to open this season. Champions play from kickoff to gun, which is how long most of our offense DIDN'T play Super Bowl XLVIII. We played full games twice in a row just four days apart this week: Witness the results.

Unlike many, I usually find your comments are reasonable and well thought out, but equating Manning's petulant complaint about the scoreboard operator's performance with playing all 60 minutes is ridiculous.

Surely you're not saying that more noise than he would have liked jeopardized his ability perform?

Shazam!
10-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Unlike many, I usually find your comments are reasonable and well thought out...

I don't believe that lol

Joel
10-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Unlike many, I usually find your comments are reasonable and well thought out, but equating Manning's petulant complaint about the scoreboard operator's performance with playing all 60 minutes is ridiculous.

Surely you're not saying that more noise than he would have liked jeopardized his ability perform?
It's the principle: Doing the game- and championship-winning things right when it counts starts with doing the trivial things right every time. It's not a big deal, but EVERYTHING'S a big deal with Manning. That's a huge part of what makes him who he is, and as good as he is; if the rest of the team were as disciplined as he, we'd be talking about our 2nd or 3rd Manning title now. Instead, we're still working on the FIRST, with his time and our cap space rapidly dwindling.

Ravage!!!
10-26-2014, 01:10 PM
It just shows that Peyton takes EVERY series seriously. He's out there, the game plan didn't involve the 'silent count'.... they probably went up to the LoS with the designs of calling from there. Not figuring that the scoreboard and crowd would be pumping the noise LOUDER than it has been. It's irritating when trying to talk to someone in an important conversation when someone around you starts making a lot of noise and interupting that. No different with Manning. He takes it seriously, and EVERY play in that situation is practice for the NEXT game. Failed communication and failed plays, is a failed play. I'm glad Manning doesn't like it.

Valar Morghulis
10-26-2014, 01:58 PM
NE scored 21 points tonight in 50 secs - that is a prime example of why manning was right - that SD game was not done

Nomad
10-26-2014, 02:04 PM
So what is he going to do in away games, tell the fans & clock operator to shut up:lol:. SD wasn't gonna go on any crazy scoring drives against the BRONCOS defense.

In that moment, Manning acted a little childish.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2014, 02:06 PM
My son said plenty sitting around him were already drunk before the game started. They probably had no clue what was going on down on the field during the game.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 02:09 PM
My son said plenty sitting around him were already drunk before the game started. They probably had no clue what was going on down on the field during the game.

I hate going to any event when you have a bunch of drunks.

Valar Morghulis
10-26-2014, 03:00 PM
So what is he going to do in away games, tell the fans & clock operator to shut up:lol:. SD wasn't gonna go on any crazy scoring drives against the BRONCOS defense.

1) In away games you prepare for noise during practice all week
2) In away games you have no control over the home fans - at mile high, they should know the score
3) Just because teams can play with noise - does not mean they should have to, I can function with one eye, but i am not going to poke the other one out just incase i lose it later on in life

I dont agree with publicly calling out the scoreboard operator - but i absolutely agree with tell the crowd to be quiet

But anyway Nomad, i think we just need to acknowledge that we disagree on this one

Nomad
10-26-2014, 03:03 PM
1) In away games you prepare for noise during practice all week
2) In away games you have no control over the home fans - at mile high, they should know the score
3) Just because teams can play with noise - does not mean they should have to, I can function with one eye, but i am not going to poke the other one out just incase i lose it later on in life

I dont agree with publicly calling out the scoreboard operator - but i absolutely agree with tell the crowd to be quiet

But anyway Nomad, i think we just need to acknowledge that we disagree on this one

I think we disagree on just about everything:lol:

Valar Morghulis
10-26-2014, 03:13 PM
I think we disagree on just about everything:lol:

Maybe - but always in a respectful way!

Joel
10-26-2014, 03:14 PM
NE scored 21 points tonight in 50 secs - that is a prime example of why manning was right - that SD game was not done
Another very good point; like Yogi said, it ain't over till it's over. Thank you all for making me mentally relive The Comeback; that never gets old.... :mad:

Nomad
10-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Maybe - but always in a respectful way!

I don't take things too serious, I can come across as an a-hole, but I'd by you a beer anyday. It's all good.

As long as Manning keeps bringing the wins, he can whine as much as he wants.:D He just can't shit the bed in this year's SB.

Joel
10-26-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't take things too serious, I can come across as an a-hole, but I'd by you a beer anyday. It's all good.

As long as Manning keeps bringing the wins, he can whine as much as he wants.:D He just can't shit the bed in this year's SB.
He didn't in last years—but a HELL of a lot of his offensive teammates DID, incessantly. So I don't blame him in the least for angrily demanding that crap end NOW, before we're in what may be his LAST SB. Again, if hadn't started in the first place we'd be talking about the 2nd or 3rd SB of the Manning Era instead of still waiting for the FIRST as his clock runs down and our cap runs up: No more third chances.

Runamok
10-26-2014, 04:25 PM
He didn't in last years—but a HELL of a lot of his offensive teammates DID, incessantly. So I don't blame him in the least for angrily demanding that crap end NOW, before we're in what may be his LAST SB. Again, if hadn't started in the first place we'd be talking about the 2nd or 3rd SB of the Manning Era instead of still waiting for the FIRST as his clock runs down and our cap runs up: No more third chances.

Huh?

Not one of your better comments, Joel.

Did you watch that game, or just read about it on peytonmanning.com?

Joel
10-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Huh?

That loss wasn't on Manning, it was on his sorry protection and the pitiful running game that put the whole offense on his shoulders. When Manning has a bad game, I'm hardly shy about saying so, but that wasn't one of them (in fact, I can only recall two indisputably bad ones since he got here: Last year@NE and the 2012 playoff game when EVERYONE but (ironically) Holliday sucked.)

JPPT1974
10-26-2014, 05:02 PM
He can't carry the game by himself. His team needs to help him out a bit. He is not a one man show!

Ravage!!!
10-26-2014, 07:12 PM

Come one now, Nomad. They go into away games with the expectations of crowds doing what they can to interupt you. At home, and maybe even THIS play, they went up to the LoS expecting to be able to call the RIGHT play at the LoS because we are at home. THere is a reason crowds make noises for away teams, its so that they can't make the adjustments. Its why the Home team has the ADVANTAGE. Manning wasn't acting childish, he showed his competiveness. There is NOTHING WRONG with taking every play, that you are on the field, seriously.

Ravage!!!
10-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Huh?

Please.. that loss wasn't on Manning, and it wasn't on the OL, either. That game was just "one of those games" that happens to go down hill quickly. Teams have them.

Tned
10-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Silly argument. Next thing you will propose is the Broncos playing all 16 games on the road next year, because playing on the road is just as easy as at home.

I guess some of you guys can't grasp the concept of home field advantage, which is created by the home crowd being very loud when the opponents offense is on the field and very quiet when the home team offense is on the field.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Silly argument. Next thing you will propose is the Broncos playing all 16 games on the road next year, because playing on the road is just as easy as at home.

I guess some of you guys can't grasp the concept of home field advantage, which is created by the home crowd being very loud when the opponents offense is on the field and very quiet when the home team offense is on the field.

No surprise you come in with your drama:lol:

Tned
10-26-2014, 08:39 PM
No surprise you come in with your drama:lol:

No surprise you come across as an "a-hole." Your word, not mine.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Come one now, Nomad. They go into away games with the expectations of crowds doing what they can to interupt you. At home, and maybe even THIS play, they went up to the LoS expecting to be able to call the RIGHT play at the LoS because we are at home. THere is a reason crowds make noises for away teams, its so that they can't make the adjustments. Its why the Home team has the ADVANTAGE. Manning wasn't acting childish, he showed his competiveness. There is NOTHING WRONG with taking every play, that you are on the field, seriously.

I believe, in that moment, Manning acted childish. I understand he's a hard worker and a master of his trade. You guys are exaggerating what I am saying.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 08:40 PM
No surprise you come across as an "a-hole." Your word, not mine.

Ill get you some tissues.

Tned
10-26-2014, 09:14 PM

Childish, too. You going to hit me with a rubber/glue line next? Come on man, act your age.

SR
10-26-2014, 09:21 PM

Wtf is wrong with you dude?

Nomad
10-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Childish, too. You going to hit me with a rubber/glue line next? Come on man, act your age.

You can have the last word, Tnedator.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Wtf is wrong with you dude?

What do you mean? Am I supposed to kiss his ass?

SR
10-26-2014, 09:38 PM
What do you mean? Am I supposed to kiss his ass?

Duh dude. He's denT.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Duh dude. He's denT.

He does have the power to get rid of me. I'm flattered though, how he always seems to seek me out.

Tned
10-26-2014, 09:47 PM
He does have the power to get rid of me. I'm flattered though, how he always seems to seek me out.

Wow, center of the universe much? Before today, how many times have I even responded to a post of yours in the last year? Any? If so, I doubt it's many or anymore than anyone else.

I responded to your's and others with an opinion that disagreed with those of you that think QBs should be fine with home crowds making noise when they are on offense. You then started to make it personal. Seems you are seeking me out to get into a pissing match with. If so, don't bother, I don't have the time to waste on infantile endeavors.

As to the "power". I have never gotten rid of anyone on the site and mods vote on bans (temp and perm), so playing that card is pretty sad and a dick move.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-26-2014, 09:49 PM
All I have to say is that I am sorry to see what is happening on this thread right now.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 09:52 PM
All I have to say is that I am sorry to see what is happening on this thread right now.

I apologize, Carol.

SR
10-26-2014, 10:07 PM

You've got it all wrong buddy. Hate to say it. Carol is right though.

Nomad
10-26-2014, 10:52 PM
You've got it all wrong buddy. Hate to say it. Carol is right though.

Carol is always right. She has my upmost respect.

Valar Morghulis
10-27-2014, 02:43 AM
that escalated quickly!

GEM
10-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Wtf happened in here...geez!