PDA

View Full Version : No contract talks with DT, JT until after the season

VonDoom
10-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Things had been quiet lately, and I guess this is why.

The Broncos have negotiated with both men, but with neither close to a deal, Denver recognizes that it will have to wait until after the season to address it again.

By then, Denver's work will be challenging. Each Thomas is having another monster season, with the cost of business going up.

The rest: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11748796/denver-broncos-end-season-contract-talk-demaryius-thomas-julius-thomas

TXBRONC
10-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Things had been quiet lately, and I guess this is why.

The rest: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11748796/denver-broncos-end-season-contract-talk-demaryius-thomas-julius-thomas

The cost of business is always going up.

Anyway the stage is set for Cugel tells definite means Denver going to let them walk.

VonDoom
10-23-2014, 09:17 AM
The cost of business is always going up.

Anyway the stage is set for Cugel tells definite means Denver going to let them walk.

I'm assuming they're talking about the potentially skyrocketing salary cap. Big name players are waiting (as they should) to see what that number will be, and how much money they can get, rather than locking in now.

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 09:34 AM
I'll think about these issues after the season. I don't want contract issues derailing a Super Bowl run.

Buff
10-23-2014, 09:57 AM
I think we have a tad more leverage with Julius because the TE franchise number is relatively affordable compared to WR.

VonDoom
10-23-2014, 11:05 AM
I think we have a tad more leverage with Julius because the TE franchise number is relatively affordable compared to WR.

I'd definitely think we'd use the franchise tag on Julius.

dogfish
10-23-2014, 12:03 PM
we'll get it done. . . this won't be an issue. . .

broncofaninfla
10-23-2014, 12:04 PM
If it comes down to only being able to keep one I hope it's DT.

dogfish
10-23-2014, 12:11 PM
If it comes down to only being able to keep one

it won't. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
10-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 59m

For clarity given old-news ESPN report: Broncos and agents for Demaryius and Julius Thomas haven't held contract negotiations since August.

silkamilkamonico
10-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Where are all the people that said Denver was stupid for not re-signing Decker? There was alot of them.

Anyways - I think Denver wins the SuperBowl and does lose one of the Thomas's. I just hope it isn't Demaryous.

Buff
10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Where are all the people that said Denver was stupid for not re-signing Decker? There was alot of them.

Anyways - I think Denver wins the SuperBowl and does lose one of the Thomas's. I just hope it isn't Demaryous.

I don't remember a single person getting bent about not re-signing Decker.

dogfish
10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't remember a single person getting bent about not re-signing Decker.

you weren't paying attention. . . north and denbronx in particular wept openly about it on several occasions. . .

Timmy!
10-23-2014, 01:41 PM
you weren't paying attention. . . north and denbronx in particular wept openly about it on several occasions. . .

And some of us laughed hysterically at contract the jets gave him.....

dogfish
10-23-2014, 01:43 PM

also, the people who thought we would or should re-sign deck are exactly as right as anyone who says we'll lose one of the thomases. . . ;)

my god, people, have just a bit of faith. . . JFE knows exactly what he's doing-- the cap is going way up in the next couple of years, there is little to no chance we lose either of those guys. . . they're core players just hitting their prime. . . the best executive in pro football doesn't let assets like that walk, and they won't find a better situation anywhere else. . . those guys are gonna be broncos long term, take that to the bank. . .

FanInAZ
10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Elway's blueprint to success: Play football during the season, talk contracts after the season. He does this every year.

Joel
10-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 59m

For clarity given old-news ESPN report: Broncos and agents for Demaryius and Julius Thomas haven't held contract negotiations since August.
Oops. Slow news week, ESPN? I'm just hoping keeping the Thomas Twins doesn't make Chris Harris Jr. an incidental cap casualty. We've got many amazing guys at offensive skill positions, but when I look at the whole roster I can't help feeling it indicates this team will be defined by its defense in the long term. Of course, that could mean we decide there's SO much talent at CB we can spare Harris, but I'd prefer to keep his Champ Bailey Legacy (and resulting Darrell Green Legacy) in Denver for good.

Who else is competing with the Thomases for money next year? I know Franklin's up, and wouldn't miss him, but IIRC we have MANY key players near the end of contracts, many of them cheap rookie deals.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Not particularly concerning, don't need the distraction during the season. Both Thomases will be back. I trust in Elway to get it done.

tripp
10-23-2014, 05:48 PM
IMO, gotta keep both JT and DT. I think we'll be saying good bye to Welker at the end of the year.

dogfish
10-23-2014, 05:56 PM
IMO, gotta keep both JT and DT. I think we'll be saying good bye to Welker at the end of the year.

for positive, unless he decides to come back on the super cheap. . . otherwise he's gone, as his contract is up, and sanders can thrive in the slot on third downs. . . plus latimer should be ready to roll. . . people should remember that rahim moore, orlando franklin, chris harris and pot roast will all be free agents as well. . . the former two probably won't be back-- hopefully the latter will, on typical back-loaded contracts. . . same as DT and JT-- the biggest money years won't hit until manning's monster deal is off the books, and we're paying brock or a rookie a much, much smaller deal. . . but either way, salary numbers for those guys should be down if not eliminated. . .

also, we can cut talib with little to no cap hit after this year. . . as well as roby and harris have looked, with webster also showing plenty of potential, i can very well see aqib being released before we would lose a core young talent like one of the thomases, or even harris jr. . .

Joel
10-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Makes sense, though it raises the question of who plays the slot in 2015. But if this is finally the year Welker gets his Ring... he'll be 32 next year and coming off 3 concussions in two seasons, after which guys like Swearinger and Earl Thomas just shrugged and kept popping him in the head while the NFL shrugged and said "defenseless what...? :confused:" Probably time to hang it up while you still remember your kids faces.

Does that clear enough cap space to replace rookie contracts with Pro Bowl contracts though? Hard to imagine it would.

Joel
10-23-2014, 06:13 PM
for positive, unless he decides to come back on the super cheap. . . otherwise he's gone, as his contract is up, and sanders can thrive in the slot on third downs. . . plus latimer should be ready to roll. . . people should remember that rahim moore, orlando franklin, chris harris and pot roast will all be free agents as well. . . the former two probably won't be back-- hopefully the latter will, on typical back-loaded contracts. . . same as DT and JT-- the biggest money years won't hit until manning's monster deal is off the books, and we're paying brock or a rookie a much, much smaller deal. . . but either way, salary numbers for those guys should be down if not eliminated. . .
Thanks, those are the other contracts I couldn't recall specifically, and if we manage to keep the Thomases, Harris and Knighton, I won't lose much sleep over losing Moore and Franklin.[/QUOTE]

also, we can cut talib with little to no cap hit after this year. . . as well as roby and harris have looked, with webster also showing plenty of potential, i can very well see aqib being released before we would lose a core young talent like one of the thomases, or even harris jr. . .
With the nickel practically replacing the 4-3/3-4 as base set for many teams (including ours) it's hard to have too many good CBs, and Talib has experience Roby and Webster lack. I like both of them, but without Talib they and Harris would be the starters in nickel, so what happens in dime, or if ANY of them get hurt? Back to Tony Carter or Bolden? No, thanks.

Simple Jaded
10-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Hey if Franklin sucks so bad he oughta come pretty cheap. Amirite?