PDA

View Full Version : Is this what it felt like 20 years ago?

Dapper Dan
10-22-2014, 10:37 PM
We have a great team and probably the best quaterback ever. Is this what it felt like to watch Elway and the Broncos back in the day?

SR
10-22-2014, 10:44 PM
No season will ever duplicate the 1998-1999 season.

spikerman
10-22-2014, 10:54 PM
It was a little different for the 97 season. The Broncos weren't really dominant. In fact, they didn't even win the division. The magic really started in the playoffs. If I remember correctly it was the "revenge" tour and the Broncos had to play Jacksonville who upset our boys the year before. Denver whipped 'em pretty good. The '98 team was just unbelievable. You could actually tell that teams were intimidated by them. It was amazing.

Bronco9798
10-22-2014, 10:58 PM
We have a great team and probably the best quaterback ever. Is this what it felt like to watch Elway and the Broncos back in the day?

97/98 Broncos were relentless. It was a scoring machine with a decent defense. Our offense scored enough to keep other teams one dimensional and we could dictate the flow of most games. The offensive cast was quite special lead by Elway, with Davis, Sharpe, Rod, and Eddie Mac!! Romanowski and Atwater led the Defense for the most part with some decent players surrounding them. We added Neil Smith for our Super Bowl run and he did a great job coming over from the Chiefs. It was a special team with special players. The O line was the smallest in the league but ran a zone blocking scheme that Davis really excelled in. His cutbacks were a thing of beauty.

Nothing will ever feel like 97 98 for me. I've been a fan since 1976 and suffered through horrible Super Bowl losses one after another. You had to feel those losses to really appreciate the Broncos in the late 90's. You hurt with them ever year. That one win in the Super Bowl was all you eve wanted. I cried like a little bitch when they won. But, I didn't care. I was one happy dude. That first one was really special , the second one was a bonus.

If yo go back to the late 80's "The Drive" and "The Fumble" games were pretty special as well against Cleveland. I always said we were just the whipping boys in the 80's Super Bowls. No AFC teams were going to win against the Giants, the 49'ers, and the Skins those years. Elway carried those teams with The 3 Amigos, Jackson, Nattiel, and Johnson. Our defenses were pretty bad when we got to the Super Bowls. i remember cussing Tony Lilly and those guys in those Super Bowls. They gave the offense no help at all and we got smoked in those games. That's why those Super Bowls were so special in 97/98.

Anyway, could talk about those days forever!!

MOtorboat
10-22-2014, 11:01 PM
That 97-98 Broncos team was one of the best ever. It was that dominant. I don't think this team is at that level, but it's damn good.

Bronco9798
10-22-2014, 11:01 PM
It was a little different for the 97 season. The Broncos weren't really dominant. In fact, they didn't even win the division. The magic really started in the playoffs. If I remember correctly it was the "revenge" tour and the Broncos had to play Jacksonville who upset our boys the year before. Denver whipped 'em pretty good. The '98 team was just unbelievable. You could actually tell that teams were intimidated by them. It was amazing.

The Chiefs playoff game was played in the ice and we won 14-10 if I remember. I remember Howard Griffith and Eddie Mac making big plays down the stretch in that one.

Bronco9798
10-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Broncos finished that season 12-4. They were still pretty dominant.

Dapper Dan
10-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Do they more resemble the mid or early 90s Broncos?

Obviously, with hindsight, we know who won the Super Bowl and who didn't. Try not to think about that, since we don't know if this team will or won't.

Bronco9798
10-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Do they more resemble the mid or early 90s Broncos?

Obviously, with hindsight, we know who won the Super Bowl and who didn't. Try not to think about that, since we don't know if this team will or won't.

I don't think so at all. Broncos were a dominating running team, but everybody was that was any good. It was a running back league back then. You didn't have all the spread formations, slot receivers, etc., You basically had a RB, a FB, 2 WR's, and a TE. Occasionally you lined up 3 WR's. But, noting like today. And there was none of this defensive pass interference and defensive holding like you see today.

FanInAZ
10-22-2014, 11:23 PM
20 years ago was 1994. I had to double check some of my facts @ pro-football-reference.com, but I did immediately recall that I believed at the time Elway was over the hill. I couldn't recall if Maddox, drafted to be Elway's successor, was still on the team. However, after 2 years of failing to beat out Elway, he demanded to be made the 1st string or be traded. I verified that we traded him after the '93 season, & went 7-9 in '94. That was our 2nd & last season with Wade Phillips as HC. I still remember telling a friend that the Broncos were about to go through a stretch of some very bad years.

Ziggy
10-23-2014, 12:56 AM
The 97-98 teams had a different makeup. The defense was less talented but the scheme was phenomenal and they had a great mix of on field personalities. The offense was special. They would get a lead and then break their opponents will by running when everyone and their mother knew they were going to run. There wasn't a darn thing anyone could do about it. Teams would put 10 in the box and the Broncos would still run the ball down their throats.

This team is probably more talented overall. The 97-98 teams only weakness was on defense. They were still good enough to get it done though. This team has problems on the Oline, which was the strength of the championship teams. The 97-98 teams had nowhere near the pass rush that this team does, but it wasn't a passing league then.

To answer the OP, this doesn't feel like it did then, but we still have a championship caliber team.

Dapper Dan
10-23-2014, 12:57 AM
The 97-98 teams had a different makeup. The defense was less talented but the scheme was phenomenal and they had a great mix of on field personalities. The offense was special. They would get a lead and then break their opponents will by running when everyone and their mother knew they were going to run. There wasn't a darn thing anyone could do about it. Teams would put 10 in the box and the Broncos would still run the ball down their throats.

This team is probably more talented overall. The 97-98 teams only weakness was on defense. They were still good enough to get it done though. This team has problems on the Oline, which was the strength of the championship teams. The 97-98 teams had nowhere near the pass rush that this team does, but it wasn't a passing league then.

To answer the OP, this doesn't feel like it did then, but we still have a championship caliber team.

Is the excitement similar?

Ziggy
10-23-2014, 01:01 AM

No, simply because the Broncos were one of those teams that had NEVER won a championship and the fans were hungrier. Watching games in the south stands was an experience in itself. The coaching on that team was the best in the league. I think the excitement is just a bit more tempered now, because of the coaching staff and the run game. Don't get me wrong, these are still great times to be a Broncos fan and this team will be in the super bowl again. That first championship is always extra special though.

MOtorboat
10-23-2014, 01:05 AM
That 97-98 Broncos team was one of the best ever. It was that dominant. I don't think this team is at that level, but it's damn good.

*98-99

Sorry...

FanInAZ
10-23-2014, 01:17 AM

Like Ziggy said, the 1st one is most special. This is your 1st, the excitement for you now is probably the same as it was for us then.

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 02:04 AM
This team will never even resemble the Super Broncos simply because it cannot run the ball anywhere close. The OLine was so good it was disgusting.

Valar Morghulis
10-23-2014, 02:42 AM
I was a Broncos fan for those two superbowl wins, and the season before where i thought we would have won it and even before that - but i would not class myself as a real fan back then, i was more of an NFL fan that liked the Broncos (if that makes sense) - so for me the past 3 seasons have just been awesome (i am also including tebowtime in this).

Whether or not it is as good as the late 90s for you guys, it would seem not, but for me, this is a special time. And in 8 years or so when Christian Hackenberg (or similar) is leading us to another - i will be on here saying "nothing beats Manning's Broncos!"

spikerman
10-23-2014, 07:07 AM
I do remember not even being nervous for the Falcons SB. The outcome was never in doubt. That must be what it felt like to be a NFC fan during the 80s.

BigDaddyBronco
10-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Those Bronco teams had a good possession passing game with some big play ability in Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, and Sharpe, but what they really did well is just totally dominate in the run game. They would literally impose their will on other teams and TD would rack up huge yards. It was something to behold. During the 98 season the Vikings looked like a force in the regular season and everyone was sure they were going to the SB, but they got beat by the Falcons and it was a done deal for the Broncos.

The defense played well with leads and would rush the passer well. An opportunistic defense that would get turnovers, sacks, and some big hits, but not dominant.

The best way I can put it is that our rushing offense back then was as dominant as our passing offense was last year.

Northman
10-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Honestly for me no. Much different feel and i had way more confidence in the team back then. Doesnt mean this team cant achieve a SB victory but my confidence just isnt there like it was for that 98' team. The SB championship team was just so much better from top to bottom and was far more disciplined and well coached than what we have today.

BroncoJoe
10-23-2014, 08:17 AM
I think it's similar in regard to expecting a win every week, and being somewhat shocked if we lose. That's pretty much where it ends for me. Those teams, especially with Elway near the end of his career, were special. Even if we win another SB with this team, it'll never feel the same as that 97-98 season. In 98, especially after the Vikings lost, I don't think anyone doubted we were going to be SB champs.

TXBRONC
10-23-2014, 08:28 AM
It's similar in aspects but having arguably the most dominate running game at the time was comforting.

OrangeHoof
10-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Besides the 97-98 squads being our first SB wins after enduring all the taunts of four SB losses (remember when weaklings pleaded for the Broncos to lose the AFCG just so they didn't have to hear more taunts about being Super Bowl losers?), there's one other major difference to me in this Super Bowl run. The last time was Denver's first major sports title and took the monkey off Elway's back after all those years and allowed him to be fully acknowledged as one of the game's best ever quarterbacks.

This go-round isn't so much about Denver as it is about Peyton Manning, and while I can cheer and admire Manning, to me he's a rent-a-star like Neil Smith was the last time. Smith, to me, will always be a Chief that just happened to come over and help us win two Super Bowls. Manning, to me, will always be a Colt who just happened to come to Denver in his waning years with enough skill to take Denver to the Super Bowl. It's not the same as cheering for home-grown stars like Elway, Davis, Rod Smith, Sharpe, et al. Getting a Super Bowl for Peyton Manning, Demarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, Wes Welker and T.J. Ward may be satisfying but not nearly in the way it was for the Elway-era Broncos. The GM Elway went out and rented a bunch of Pro Bowlers (not that there's anything wrong with that) whereas the other Broncos had no major rentals other than Neil Smith and Romanowski.

Bronco9798
10-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Loved me some Romanowski!!!!

TXBRONC
10-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Yeah he was intense. One of those kind of guys you love having play for you and despise if he plays for the opponent.

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 10:06 AM
The Broncos weren't really dominant. In fact, they didn't even win the division.

They were dominant even though they didn't win the Division.

I didn't get to watch a lot of those games that weren't on tv back then though, now I never miss a game. Thanks internet!

BroncoWave
10-23-2014, 10:19 AM
97 is a great example of why just because you don't win your division doesn't mean you aren't a great team. Sometimes two great teams are in one division.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Exactly....I think that team was one of the 3or4 most dominant teams ever. It could dominate you with the passing game or the running game. It was much more balanced. However, I do think this year's defense is better.

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Exactly....I think that team was one of the 3or4 most dominant teams ever. It could dominate you with the passing game or the running game. It was much more balanced. However, I do think this year's defense is better.

If one were to see the stats from the 97 team they are misconstrued, when they gave up almost 200+ yards to Napoleon Kaufman in the loss at Oakland they suddenly had statistically the worst run D in football.

Stats are not the be all end all.

SR
10-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Stats are not the be all end all.

Tell that to Joel.

OB
10-23-2014, 11:25 AM
I think one of the things that makes it a bit different too, is the ability as a fan to watch almost every game today vs 20 years ago some of us didn't even have cable - let alone satellite and NFL Sunday Ticket. I remember feeling lucky (being on the east coast) to see one or two broncos games a year on TV - you had to find a bar that would have them on and you were lucky to find that maybe two or three extra times a year. So being able to watch them in the playoffs and in the SB was extra exciting just because you got to see your team on TV - but I dont think I will ever be as excited for any other game as I was watching Elway finally win a Superbowl

olathebroncofan
10-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Don't think you can compare now to the 97/98 teams. The big difference is the fact that elway had been here for ever vs manning basically being rented for a few years. The fans were so hungry for the superbowl canoe kind of expectinga good team to show up game after game.

Those teams were great. This one is as well, but it has a different feel to it.

FanInAZ
10-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I do remember not even being nervous for the Falcons SB. The outcome was never in doubt. That must be what it felt like to be a NFC fan during the 80s.

I told a friend of mine straight up that the Falcons lost that SB the day they hired Reeves as their HC, the morning before the game! I told her exactly what would be their downfall, the downfall of all Dan Reeves teams, their OL wouldn't be able to protect their QB.

BroncoNut
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM

:psycho:

capt. Jack
10-23-2014, 02:54 PM
It will feel like 20 years ago, if we win the Super Bowl. If we don't, it will be like watching "Star Wars"!
We have a great team, but not a dominant running game, yet.
Hopefully it all comes together this year?

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 03:21 PM
The Broncos' championships were so special because of their previous identity as choke artists who can never win the big one. Was especially true for Elway, who was able to rewrite his own history. Few teams get to go through what the Broncos did. It was very special to win after suffering through years of futility. I consider the Broncos' championships some of the most special Super Bowl stories.

Also it was a different NFL back then too.

BroncoNut
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
It will feel like 20 years ago, if we win the Super Bowl. If we don't, it will be like watching "Star Wars"!
We have a great team, but not a dominant running game, yet.
Hopefully it all comes together this year?
Terrel Davis

Dzone
10-23-2014, 03:31 PM
After suffering through all those super bowl losses, that first ever super bowl victory was unreal

MasterShake
10-23-2014, 03:35 PM
I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw this thread, but until the game last week against the 49ers I hadn't had a feeling like that watching a Broncos game since the '98 team. It seemed like the games were always out of hand by halftime then we would just sick TD on them with the running game and close it out. It was just expected to get a touchdown on the opening drive and be up by 17 points or so at the half. I don't remember fearing any team that year, and even the Giants and Miami losses felt like flukes. The Superbowl was boring against Atlanta in a good way. You just never doubted they would win.

OB
10-23-2014, 03:46 PM

OMG me too!!! Im sure in a completely different way than you (maybe?) I have four broncos jerseys and he is one of the ones I have (Davis, Elway and Thomas are the other 3) I did not like the spitting incident - I dont have respect for spitters - but his intensity (even though some may call it "roid rage") was hard to match

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 03:50 PM
It seemed like the games were always out of hand by halftime...

I can't remember how many times it was 21-0 in the first half!

Slick
10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Don't think you can compare now to the 97/98 teams. The big difference is the fact that elway had been here for ever vs manning basically being rented for a few years. The fans were so hungry for the superbowl canoe kind of expectinga good team to show up game after game.

Those teams were great. This one is as well, but it has a different feel to it.

My thoughts exactly. Love Peyton Manning, couldn't be happier but he's a hired gun and the Duke was our guy.

Joel
10-23-2014, 04:20 PM
I had the good fortune about that time to run into a Falcons fan complaining he couldn't find anyone to bet against them; I solved the problem he had with $200 burning a hole in his pocket. :)

Joel
10-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Tell that to Joel.
Hey, I not only made but demonstrated that point in another thread; not my fault someone decided to flip the comment on its head for no reason but to be a HS girl.

OrangeHoof
10-23-2014, 04:31 PM
After suffering through all those super bowl losses, that first ever super bowl victory was unreal

I cried when the Broncos won against Green Bay and I didn't even cry when my parents died (individually, I loved them both but I just don't cry in those situations for some reason).

BroncoNut
10-23-2014, 05:02 PM
OMG me too!!! Im sure in a completely different way than you (maybe?) I have four broncos jerseys and he is one of the ones I have (Davis, Elway and Thomas are the other 3) I did not like the spitting incident - I dont have respect for spitters - but his intensity (even though some may call it "roid rage") was hard to match

it was roid rage and you and 9er a couple of freaks

OB
10-23-2014, 05:06 PM
it was roid rage and you and 9er a couple of freaks

I was young and impressionable - thats my excuse

OB
10-23-2014, 05:12 PM
I cried when the Broncos won against Green Bay and I didn't even cry when my parents died (individually, I loved them both but I just don't cry in those situations for some reason).

I, too, have cried more over sports events than sad personal events - although I am lucky that I can say the great sports events have greatly outweighed the sad events in my life.

SR
10-23-2014, 05:29 PM
I couldn't put my finger on it until I saw this thread, but until the game last week against the 49ers I hadn't had a feeling like that watching a Broncos game since the '98 team. It seemed like the games were always out of hand by halftime then we would just sick TD on them with the running game and close it out. It was just expected to get a touchdown on the opening drive and be up by 17 points or so at the half. I don't remember fearing any team that year, and even the Giants and Miami losses felt like flukes. The Superbowl was boring against Atlanta in a good way. You just never doubted they would win.

I have never seen a running back get so dominant as the game went on like TD did. He killed teams in the fourth quarter. It was unreal.

Northman
10-23-2014, 06:16 PM
and even the Giants and Miami losses felt like flukes.

They were. :D

I so enjoyed utterly DESTROYING Miami in the playoffs. All that shit they talked after their regular season i had no doubt we were going to stomp a mudhole in their asses in Denver. During that time was the greatest feeling in the world.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-23-2014, 06:27 PM

I so enjoyed utterly DESTROYING Miami in the playoffs. All that shit they talked after their regular season i had no doubt we were going to stomp a mudhole in their asses in Denver. During that time was the greatest feeling in the world.

I can still remember Jimmy Johnson's scowl as he walked across the field to shake Shanny's hand after we curb stomped them. He looked like somebody stole his lunch money.

TXBRONC
10-23-2014, 06:33 PM

I knew you like the bad boys.

Slick
10-23-2014, 06:39 PM

If I remember correctly that was Marino's last game and the Broncos hung a 50 burger on the Dolphins!

Shazam!
10-23-2014, 07:12 PM

If I remember correctly that was Marino's last game and the Broncos hung a 50 burger on the Dolphins!

That was a game vs Jax where they ripped Miami to shreds I think it was like 62-7 or something absurd.

Slick
10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
That was a game vs Jax where they ripped Miami to shreds I think it was like 62-7 or something absurd.

You're right. Denver sent Marino into retirement after a 38-3 win. The even bigger blowout was the Jags.