PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Notes - Chargers Week

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 3h

One CSU Ram for another: Broncos promote RB Kapri Bibbs from practice squad, waive LB Shaquil Barrett.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 5h

K Brandon McManus did not participate Monday because of strained right groin. Also LB Steven Johnson has ankle sprain/bruise

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 5h

Can't see Broncos CB Omar Bolden clearing concussion protocol in time for Thursday night game, He did not practice Monday.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4h

There were some teams interested signing Bibbs off #Broncos practice squad. This allows Broncos to keep him -- now have five RBs on roster

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 4h

#Broncos have signed Kapri Bibbs to active roster, have waived Shaquil Barrett...would expect Barrett back on PS if he clears waivers.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 6h

Ware: complaints about Thursday games "are overblown. I don't see any guys around here complaining about a Thursday game."

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 6h

Von Miller: "I like playing on Thursday nights ... you've just got to do the same things you'd do in a longer week."

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 7h

The short week means that John Fox has not looked at the SF film from last night; he's been studying the Chargers today.

Joel
10-20-2014, 09:44 PM
So Bolden DOES have a concussion; sucks, because I'd rather have him out there in dime if (heaven forbid) Talib, Harris, Roby or Webster gets hurt. It's still a MUCH better situation than SD's in since the same thing happened to Flowers: He's a STARTING CB, and Verrett's listed as Doubtful for Thursday also, which means they'll be facing Manning and his Pro Bowl receiving hydra without EITHER of their two best CBs. They can only ask so much of Weddle, and DT and Sanders are BOTH faster and bigger than Shareece Wright. This could be a high-scoring game if we can't get to Rivers, but could be another blowout if we do.

CrazyHorse
10-21-2014, 12:55 AM
I get the feeling SD will try to play keep away and control the clock. If the Broncos contain Oliver I think they win. SD won't be able to keep up in the event of a shoot out.

Joel
10-21-2014, 04:46 AM
I get the feeling SD will try to play keep away and control the clock. If the Broncos contain Oliver I think they win. SD won't be able to keep up in the event of a shoot out.
Well, ball control was SDs game plan vs. us and everyone last year, and has been against everyone this year (though KC beat them at their own game Sunday,) so it makes sense to expect more of the same. I'm not convinced they can't keep up in a shootout though; Rivers hasn't had many weapons but Gates most of his career, but now he does, and even reduced to their fourth string RB, they've been producing.

Each teams offensive line may tell the tale (surprise, surprise.) The Bolts are banged up there, too, and even with Trevathan sidelined our front seven's VERY good, ESPECIALLY vs. the run, so if we can shut down their RBs and get to Rivers quickly with no blitz, all his receiving weapons may not matter much. Flip side, SDs is pretty much in the same boat, because our receivers are even better and their secondary's pretty much gutted now, so they're likely to blitz even more than last year (when they still blitzed a lot because their secondary was healthy, but awful.)

My biggest concern is that while each teams defense is statistically comparable overall, they're top 5 vs. the pass but average vs. the run, and and we're top 5 vs. the run but average vs. the pass. Our offensive styles are pretty similar, and they haven't really had much more rushing success than us; they're just a lot more persistent. We both win through the air though, so not only don't mind but encourage opponents taking away our run just to draw their focus from our passing. And whether by blitzes, coverage or teams playing catch up with us, their passing D's statistically far better.

sneakers
10-21-2014, 04:54 AM
waive LB Shaquil Barrett.

well that was quick....do you think he will go back on the practice squad?

TXBRONC
10-21-2014, 06:58 AM
So Bolden DOES have a concussion; sucks, because I'd rather have him out there in dime if (heaven forbid) Talib, Harris, Roby or Webster gets hurt. It's still a MUCH better situation than SD's in since the same thing happened to Flowers: He's a STARTING CB, and Verrett's listed as Doubtful for Thursday also, which means they'll be facing Manning and his Pro Bowl receiving hydra without EITHER of their two best CBs. They can only ask so much of Weddle, and DT and Sanders are BOTH faster and bigger than Shareece Wright. This could be a high-scoring game if we can't get to Rivers, but could be another blowout if we do.

A high scoring game would favor the Broncos because Denver has better weapons. The Chargers want to control the clock and keep Manning off the field.

Joel
10-21-2014, 07:33 AM
A high scoring game would favor the Broncos because Denver has better weapons. The Chargers want to control the clock and keep Manning off the field.
Agreed on both points, but if we can't pressure Rivers without blitzes, it's likely to turn into a shootout, because SD has many good weapons also.

I think our front seven can handle their backup RBs and limping linemen at least as well as Gore and Charles, but will certainly need to, because if each team only gets a half dozen drives SD only needs to stop us once or twice, and it's far easier for a running team to control who has the ball last in each half. If they match 2:00 scoring drives with 7:00 scoring drives, they could conceivably get two extra possessions even without turnovers, which makes all the difference when NEITHER team has many possession.

The good news is our great run D can force them to pass; the bad news is they're good at that, and our pass D's statistically soft.

The other good news is their run D's statistically soft; the other bad news is we run so badly they may not have to force us to pass, and their pass D's statistically excellent.

I just can't believe a secondary that was garbage for two solid years magically became top five when they signed Flowers, who (along with Verrett) isn't playing anyway. I also can't believe an over-the-hill Dwight Freeney made an above average pass rush elite. We have 1 more Int and 5 more sacks than them through 1 LESS game. Our defensive Passer Rating's just under 10 pts lower, we're 2nd in yds/att an completion percentage, while they're respectively 7th and 12th. We've allowed more yds/gm simply because teams throw at us a LOT more.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 44m

Montee Ball in a jersey on practice field for #Broncos, but will not practice, working with strength coaches.

Jeff Legwold retweeted
NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL · 1h

Peyton Manning's record breaking 509th TD pass is already on display at the @ProFootballHOF » http://es.pn/1uAj4kt

Lindsay Jones @bylindsayhjones · 48m

No pads, shells or even helmets for #broncos today in first practice in preparation for Thurs game vs SD http://instagram.com/p/ubJLfThwdH/

Mark Haas @markhaastv · 50m

It's hat day at #Broncos practice... TJ Ward @BossWard43 wins with a Broncos Christmas stocking.

Denver Broncos @Broncos · 2h

521 receiving yards in the past three games … Not bad work from @DemaryiusT (also the most in #Broncos history).

Northman
10-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Screw the Chargers! Go Broncos!!!!!!!!!

Boltfromtheblue
10-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Hey guys Charger fan here just weighing in on thursdays matchup. Sunday was a major disappointment for SD and a huge stepback, but I think they can make it a competitive game on Thursday. The bolts always play the Broncos well no matter what the circumstances or previous performances say. Mike McCoy has the Broncos number a bit. Manning is going to be able to pass all day on our deflated secondary. No Flowers or Verrett means we have to start Richard Marshall and Shareece Wright both of which played against the Broncos last season. The chargers best pass coverage will be pressure on Manning, if SD can't get to Peyton it's going to look like another blowout. Offensively the Bolts NEED to control the clock and pick up all their 3rd and short conversions to have a chance. The formula is there, but I fear injuries will take their toll eventually and the Broncos still win this game. I hope I gave a fair analysis and best of luck to you guys on thursday(although I think the Bolts need the luck more)

Northman
10-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey guys Charger fan here just weighing in on thursdays matchup. Sunday was a major disappointment for SD and a huge stepback, but I think they can make it a competitive game on Thursday. The bolts always play the Broncos well no matter what the circumstances or previous performances say. Mike McCoy has the Broncos number a bit. Manning is going to be able to pass all day on our deflated secondary. No Flowers or Verrett means we have to start Richard Marshall and Shareece Wright both of which played against the Broncos last season. The chargers best pass coverage will be pressure on Manning, if SD can't get to Peyton it's going to look like another blowout. Offensively the Bolts NEED to control the clock and pick up all their 3rd and short conversions to have a chance. The formula is there, but I fear injuries will take their toll eventually and the Broncos still win this game. I hope I gave a fair analysis and best of luck to you guys on thursday(although I think the Bolts need the luck more)

Welcome to the board Bolt.

I too think it will be a good game, divisional rival plus the Chargers really have no fear of us. I think both teams have some issues that can either flare up at any given time so its probably going to come down to who makes the least mistakes.

VonDoom
10-21-2014, 02:57 PM

It always takes some guts to post on an opponent's board, and you don't sound like a jerk or a troll, so welcome! I think no one is expecting this game to be easy. I do think without Flowers and Verrett that Manning will have a good chance to dissect your secondary, unless you get pressure on him, as you said.

I've had this game circled on the calendar (so to speak) all year. Should be a fun one.

VonDoom
10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Also, McManus didn't practice again. Groin strains can be difficult to heal, so what happens if he can't go on Thursday?

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 18m18 minutes ago Dove Valley, CO

Did not practice: Ball, S.Johnson, Bolden, McManus. McManus has a right groin strain.

underrated29
10-21-2014, 03:20 PM
well that was quick....do you think he will go back on the practice squad?

You may now call him Chad Mustard

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2014, 04:39 PM
It’s the way it works in business. Another company shows interest in you. Suddenly, your present company shows you some love.

The NFL is a business, too. The Buffalo Bills’ top two running backs, Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller, are down with extended injuries. The Bills made a play to sign rookie running back Kapri Bibbs off the Broncos’ practice squad.

The Broncos promoted Bibbs to the 53-man roster, where his salary just increased from a prorated $107,100 to $420,000. Thank you, Buffalo Bills.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/10/21/bills-made-move-kapri-bibbs/30490/

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 31m

Rivers, on getting to 500 TDs: "I'd have to play a real long time to get there ... that's throwing a lot and lot of touchdowns a year."

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 40m

Philip Rivers says Thursday night game is "equal for both teams." DEN playing Sunday night & SD traveling evens it out, he says.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 41m

Von Miller is @PFF's No. 1 4-3 OLB against the run (+10.4).

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 42m

Von Miller remains @PFF's second-highest rated player at any position (+23.7). J.J. Watt is still No. 1 on their rankings (+38.2).

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Lindsay Jones @bylindsayhjones · 59m

#Broncos K Brandon McManus didn't practice today, but John Fox said he expects that McManus will be "good to go" for Thursday.

NightTerror218
10-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Welcome. McCoy may have had their number in Denver last year but Denver caught on to their game plan in the playoffs, so I would not say McCoy has Denver's number. But good analysis, I would add that chargers need to get pressure with DL and not sending blitzes.

Slick
10-21-2014, 05:57 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2014/10/21/bills-made-move-kapri-bibbs/30490/

Wow! That's a substantial raise for Bibbs. He should send the Bills a thank you card.

TXBRONC
10-21-2014, 06:27 PM

You'll get no argument from me that the Chargers always play Denver tough. I think the Broncos win but I think the game will be close.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 2h

LB Shaquil Barrett did clear waivers and is expected to be re-signed to Broncos' practice squad soon.

tomjonesrocks
10-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Wow! That's a substantial raise for Bibbs. He should send the Bills a thank you card.

Bibbs looked like he really made an effort to make the team. Not saying others don't, but obviously he didn't waste his opportunity.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Denver Broncos @Broncos · 12m

"There's a lot I'm proud of, but there's a lot we've gotta get better at." - #Broncos DC Jack Del Rio

Denver Broncos @Broncos · 1h

Key defensive goal for #Broncos tomorrow night? Stopping the @Chargers’ @AntonioGates85. http://dbron.co/54m

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Lindsay Jones @bylindsayhjones · 3h

# Broncos CB/special teamer Omar Bolden (concussion) + RB Montee Ball (groin) ruled out of Thursday's game vs. San Diego.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 1h

CB Brandon Flowers is OUT for the Chargers tomorrow. Fellow CB Jason Verrett is questionable (shoulder).

Bronco9798
10-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Peyton has to be rock hard thinking about that banged up secondary. We should come out going straight to the passing attack and be relentless!!!

Joel
10-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Peyton has to be rock hard thinking about that banged up secondary. We should come out going straight to the passing attack and be relentless!!!
Keep it in your pants; they blitzed a lot last year because of an awful secondary, and while Mannings quick reads and releases got the better of that more often than not, he came out of our first meeting with tape on BOTH ankles after some cheap (and late) low hits. The WHOLE line needs to show up for this one, both to protect Manning and to beat SD at their own game of keepaway.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted
Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 4h

After their TNF game, #Chargers will play 1 game in 23 days -- longest span an NFL team has ever gone playing just 1 game. Schedule quirk.

Bronco9798
10-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Keep it in your pants; they blitzed a lot last year because of an awful secondary, and while Mannings quick reads and releases got the better of that more often than not, he came out of our first meeting with tape on BOTH ankles after some cheap (and late) low hits. The WHOLE line needs to show up for this one, both to protect Manning and to beat SD at their own game of keepaway.

I think we jump to an early lead, get a little lazy, they creep, and we take off again. It's a division game, they are usually a little more intense. I have grown to like Rivers a lot more than I used to. I love his passion, his attitude, and his competitive nature. Saw a special on him and his family. Has about 7 kids and seems like a genuine person off the field. I'd like to have a beer with him and talk football. He's never in trouble and keeps a very low profile as well off the field.

BroncoJoe
10-23-2014, 09:09 AM
I still hate him.

He seems like a very good guy off the field, but until he retires I'll hate him.

tomjonesrocks
10-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Rivers apparently on again this week that MHS is his absolute favorite place to play, that he always loves this week, etc. etc.

Have seen it played off as respect for the fans/organization/stadium design -- but it annoys me.

TXBRONC
10-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Rivers apparently on again this week that MHS is his absolute favorite place to play, that he always loves this week, etc. etc.

Have seen it played off as respect for the fans/organization/stadium design -- but it annoys me.

The reason he likes to play in Denver is because with him at quarterback the Chargers are well above .500. IIRC the Chargers have only lost times in Denver since Rivers became the starting quarterback. That includes last season's divisional playoff loss.

BroncoJoe
10-23-2014, 11:18 AM
The reason he likes to play in Denver is because with him at quarterback the Chargers are well above .500. IIRC the Chargers have only lost times in Denver since Rivers became the starting quarterback. That includes last season's divisional playoff loss.

It is really strange - home field doesn't exist between us and the Chargers. I didn't check each year, but Rivers has won 6 out of 10 at MHS. It seemed that in nearly every year we lost at home, we beat them in San Diego.

Weird series.

BroncoJoe
10-23-2014, 11:27 AM
It is really strange - home field doesn't exist between us and the Chargers. I didn't check each year, but Rivers has won 6 out of 10 at MHS. It seemed that in nearly every year we lost at home, we beat them in San Diego.

Weird series.

So, during that same time frame, we're 5-10 at SD.

Both posts are during the Rivers' years - 2004 - 2013.

BroncoJoe
10-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Crap - Rivers didn't start for two years (Brees).

Since 2006:

Chargers @ MHS: 6 out of 8
Denver @ SD: 4 of 8

Joel
10-23-2014, 12:03 PM
I think we jump to an early lead, get a little lazy, they creep, and we take off again. It's a division game, they are usually a little more intense. I have grown to like Rivers a lot more than I used to. I love his passion, his attitude, and his competitive nature. Saw a special on him and his family. Has about 7 kids and seems like a genuine person off the field. I'd like to have a beer with him and talk football. He's never in trouble and keeps a very low profile as well off the field.

Stop me if you've heard this, but I think it comes down to our line. The Bolts CAN'T cover, so MUST blitz, just like last year (more so, with both starting CBs out.) Manning can feast on blitzes and often has, but doesn't need to be limping off the field like after last years first SD game. If we can get Hillman going, that could protect him better than a thousand pass blockers, and hopefully the evidence of recent games reminded our coaches it's hard enough to run outside on 3-4 LBs when guards CAN pull: Double team that NT and ram it down their throats.

It could still be a shootout unless ALL our coverage guys play well, because Rivers has many weapons for the first time in his career. Our secondary's good, but this is a worthy challenge for it. For a guy with a winning record in our stadium, Rivers is hard to hate. He's always complimentary to and knowledgeable of opponents, and tends to fall on grenades rather than throwing teammates under the bus. It's hard to see us taking our foot of the gas in this one though; the team knows this is yet another big game, and that it gets a lot easier if we can just finish our rough patch strong vs. SD and @NE.

Joel
10-23-2014, 12:10 PM

His comment last year that Mile High fans "just get it" speaks for itself, but TXBRONC's right: Who WOULDN'T love a place he's played annually for nearly a decade but only lost TWICE (not counting playoffs)?