PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Broncos DT Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton discipline unjust hypocrisy

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Through the mouth of hip-hop star Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter, the most infamous racial slur in American history has been elevated to an art form that has made him famous and extremely rich, with an estimated net worth of more than $500 million.

When Broncos star Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton barked the same epithet to the New York Jets during the heat of trash talk in Sunday's game in East Rutherford, N.J., NFL commissioner Roger Goodell responded by slapping him with a fine of $11,025 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"To me, the N-word is not as aggressive as people make it seem. It's a culture thing. It's just something that African-Americans use, and it's not always in a derogatory way," Knighton told me Thursday.

"When you have a Roger Goodell — someone who is white — enforcing that rule, he doesn't quite understand the relationship I have with another African-American. He doesn't understand that."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_26744202/knighton-discipline-unjust-hypocrisy

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2014, 12:57 PM
from same article:

Knighton admitted to using the racial slur after the Broncos scored a touchdown late in the second quarter. As a member of the point-after-touchdown unit, he jawed with four Jets to express his displeasure with the glee New York players took when Denver linebacker Von Miller was knocked woozy from a helmet-to-helmet hit minutes earlier in the opening half.

"I was rubbing it in a little bit after we scored, because (the Jets) were doing a lot of chatting, and when Von got hit on their sideline, they were cheering. That upset me. And when we scored, I let them hear about it. It wasn't aggressive or insulting. It was just trash talk. And the ref threw the flag on me. I wish I didn't say it. But, at the time, I meant what I said," Knighton calmly explained, as we stood in front of his locker.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_26744202/knighton-discipline-unjust-hypocrisy

Northman
10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Sorry Terrance, i will have to side here with Goodell although not so much with the fine given. But, i think its time to change the culture with the use of the N word altogether. Its just not socially acceptable by any means for me.

CoachChaz
10-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Sorry Terrance, i will have to side here with Goodell although not so much with the fine given. But, i think its time to change the culture with the use of the N word altogether. Its just not socially acceptable by any means for me.

Because when you are trained to play a physical game where tempers flare and testosterone is elevated, the "N" word amongst a few black guys is the worst thing that will be said or done on a field.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm sure he's right in what he's saying, as to how it is accepted amongst blacks together. But, its time to accept that its not acceptable in the NFL. Time to change, time to accept that and move on. It won't be tolerated for anyone to use. Can't say its "ok" for th is skin color but not "ok" for this one. It's been eliminated.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Because when you are trained to play a physical game where tempers flare and testosterone is elevated, the "N" word amongst a few black guys is the worst thing that will be said or done on a field.

Is that what North said?

Northman
10-17-2014, 01:13 PM

I'm sure he's right in what he's saying, as to how it is accepted amongst blacks together. But, its time to accept that its not acceptable in the NFL. Time to change, time to accept that and move on. It won't be tolerated for anyone to use. Can't say its "ok" for th is skin color but not "ok" for this one. It's been eliminated.

^This

Im sure a lot of nasty things get said but dropping racial slurs should not be tolerated in my opinion. So Coach are you saying that it would of been (or should of been) alright if a white player had used the word? I mean, tempers can flare right?

Krugan
10-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Cant have it both ways, whats good for the goose and all.

Shazam!
10-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Will Jay Z, Nikki Minaj, Snoop Dogg, Wacka Flocka, etc. and all the other Hip Hop stars get fined too? Sorry, it's part of their culture.

Valar Morghulis
10-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I a with Knighton on this one,

I also think it is quite ironic that a white rich dude enforces his will onto a black dude for using a word that rich white dudes used to use as a pejorative to describe black dudes, so when they reclaim the word - the white dude strikes again!

slim
10-17-2014, 02:39 PM
What's good for Riley Cooper is good for the gander.

Valar Morghulis
10-17-2014, 02:41 PM
What's goof for Riley Cooper is good for the gander.

I actually thought that was over blown as well - for me, context is everything, words should carry no meaning without context

PatriotsGuy
10-17-2014, 02:43 PM
It's in the rule book and was discussed ad nauseam during the off season

slim
10-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I actually thought that was over blown as well - for me, context is everything, words should carry no meaning without context

Almost everything is overblown these days, except systemic English rape scandals.

Northman
10-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Will Jay Z, Nikki Minaj, Snoop Dogg, Wacka Flocka, etc. and all the other Hip Hop stars get fined too? Sorry, it's part of their culture.

Yes, because this is exactly the same thing.

Valar Morghulis
10-17-2014, 02:48 PM
did you hear about a soccer player that just got released from prison after 2 years for rape - there is an outcry over his desire to play soccer again, i dont know much about the case tbh, but i am leaning towards - he has done his time, let him play

Joel
10-17-2014, 03:19 PM
He should've lied about it like Kaep so the NFL halved his fine. :rolleyes:

I've no problem with the fine, but cheering teammates for even accidentally injuring an opponent is at least as bad, so should be punished at least as harshly. Then again, rewarding players for injuring their best opponents is such a long Ryan family tradition Sean Payton and Gregg Williams must've been shocked when the NFL threw the book at them for the same thing. #ScrewedUpPriorities

Slick
10-17-2014, 03:24 PM
did you hear about a soccer player that just got released from prison after 2 years for rape - there is an outcry over his desire to play soccer again, i dont know much about the case tbh, but i am leaning towards - he has done his time, let him play

Joey Barton?

Valar Morghulis
10-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Joey Barton?

nah - some other dude, he got released today. I played for a shit team so it hardly made the news, but it is all over it now he is out and trying to move on with his life

Joel
10-17-2014, 03:37 PM
It's pretty straightforward, really: If he's not reformed and/or hasn't paid his debt to society, he should remain in prison doing both; his release assumed he HAS done both, so he should be free to move on with his life. That's not to say any particular person should/n't be on the streets and living free, only that everyone who IS on the streets should be living free, and anyone who shouldn't live free shouldn't be on the streets. Trying to have it both ways just means more trouble, either for the public, criminals or BOTH.

There were a few newspaper articles about this a few years ago, documenting the situation of pedophiles released from Florida prisons: They'd done their time and been released, but the rise of online pedophile databases, neighborhood groups protesting their residency and laws against pedophiles living within 100' of any park or school (which rules out far more places than one might think) resulted in a large community of pedophiles living under a local bridge because it was the only place they COULD live.

That's not just a case of "aww, poor convicted child rapists:) Since terms of parole include a permanent physical address, they soon stopped reporting and just... disappeared, a lot of them leaving the state entirely (which is also a parole violation, but they must be found before they can be arrested and sent back to prison.) No one KNOWS where many of them are or what they have or haven't done since, and until/unless they're caught committing another crime, no one ever will; the ones who left Florida aren't even being sought by police in the states where they live now.

So we have people convicted of perhaps the most heinous violent crime—one especially prone to recidivism—no longer regularly monitored by parole officers as the law requires, and no longer in the states where cops actively pursue them. It's unclear how this protects public safety or rehabilitates them. Sometimes I think it would be better to just immediately put a bullet in the back of the head of every convicted rapist; it would be kinder than releasing them after 5-10 years and telling them they can never get a job or place to live.

Joel
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Any of them play in the NFL? Goodell could issue fines against them if he wanted, but good luck enforcing them since he has NO authority to do so.

LawDog
10-17-2014, 03:51 PM
Blandino (not the last bastion of consistency by any stretch of the imagination) was on the DP show this morning discussing the taunting/unsportsmanlike rule. He said there are absolutely no "trigger words" (emphasis mine) that draw a flag whenever said on the field. He stressed that included racial slurs. Instead, the zebras are trained to evaluate the context and when words are said in an aggressive, threatening or insulting manner, it draws the flag. Under that guideline, Knighton's use of the term was almost certainly in an "insulting" manner given the context that he himself described. However, it is such a broad and subjective standard that it could be said that had Knighton cried out "Child Please" in the same circumstance it should have drawn a flag as well - at least based on Blandino's explanation. My opinion, flag on the play is understandable - the zebras are right there and are trying to maintain control (and thereby player safety) of the game and tamp down on things before they get out of hand - but the fine is stupid, ridiculous, and serves no purpose at all.

Valar Morghulis
10-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Blandino (not the last bastion of consistency by any stretch of the imagination) was on the DP show this morning discussing the taunting/unsportsmanlike rule. He said there are absolutely no "trigger words" (emphasis mine) that draw a flag whenever said on the field. He stressed that included racial slurs. Instead, the zebras are trained to evaluate the context and when words are said in an aggressive, threatening or insulting manner, it draws the flag. Under that guideline, Knighton's use of the term was almost certainly in an "insulting" manner given the context that he himself described. However, it is such a broad and subjective standard that it could be said that had Knighton cried out "Child Please" in the same circumstance it should have drawn a flag as well - at least based on Blandino's explanation. My opinion, flag on the play is understandable - the zebras are right there and are trying to maintain control (and thereby player safety) of the game and tamp down on things before they get out of hand - but the fine is stupid, ridiculous, and serves no purpose at all.

well in that case, i think it was a good call - but the fine is stupid

OrangeHoof
10-17-2014, 07:35 PM
I find Blandino's explanation even more distressing. The refs are going to judge intent as to whether it is unsportsmanlike or taunting? That leaves a loophole wide enough to drive a 767 through.

Joel
10-17-2014, 08:32 PM
I find Blandino's explanation even more distressing. The refs are going to judge intent as to whether it is unsportsmanlike or taunting? That leaves a loophole wide enough to drive a 767 through.
With the huge notable exception of judging intent to injure, I'm no fan of anything that encourages—let alone forces—judgement calls from refs. That's in their job description to a degree, but the more we make them use their discretion instead of the LEAGUE using black & white rules, the more controversies will result, because there will always be (at least) two sides to every call, even calls deciding championships.

Simple Jaded
10-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Ya know what's unjust? A hack like Jay Z being worth $500 mil.

Dapper Dan
10-18-2014, 10:02 PM
I a with Knighton on this one,

I also think it is quite ironic that a white rich dude enforces his will onto a black dude for using a word that rich white dudes used to use as a pejorative to describe black dudes, so when they reclaim the word - the white dude strikes again!

That's why you're my cracker. #highfive