PDA

View Full Version : Peyton not focused on TD record

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2014, 09:23 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On his way to the doorstep of the NFL's record for career touchdown passes, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has stuck to the details and his teammates have followed that lead and kept history out of the conversation.

Manning needs two touchdown passes to tie Brett Favre's record of 508 touchdown passes and three to set a new record, and the Broncos say they want to keep their eyes on the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday night and not a brush with history.

"I think we've concentrated on important things, we've had two good wins coming off a bye week,'' Manning said after Wednesday's practice. " ... That's what I've concentrated on, kind of doing whatever it takes to win, I don't feel like it's been a distraction.''

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11707865/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-focused-san-francisco-49ers-not-chance-history

Valar Morghulis
10-16-2014, 03:14 AM
He knows he will break it soon enough - so why rush it, the guy is the ultimate professional, team first leader.

OrangeHoof
10-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Dumb story. He'll break it in the next game or two and does it really matter to him anyway? His pet answer to most of these career record questions is "it just means I'm getting old". But some writer needed to write a story and since they had nothing insightful to say they reported on the glaringly obvious.

Joel
10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Manning's not playing for records; he wasn't LAST year, but certainly not now. The only record he's concerned with is Most SB Wins, where he doesn't even hold his FAMILYS record.

Valar Morghulis
10-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Manning's not playing for records; he wasn't LAST year, but certainly not now. The only record he's concerned with is Most SB Wins, where he doesn't even hold his FAMILYS record.

why is it you are so down on manning all the time mate?

BroncoJoe
10-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Two words:

Tee Bow.

That said, he better be focused on the record. A bunch of us are going to be at this game and he better damn well break it!!

Joel
10-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm not down on Manning at all, I just wish people would quit expecting him to singlehandedly win championships as if he's not a human being just like all the rest of us. I'm glad he FINALLY found a whole roster of teammates to put it all together and KEEP it together for a whole season in '06 so he doesn't risk ending up like Marino (who owned all the passing records before Favre, but never won a SB, and only REACHED it ONCE) or Tarkenton (who owned all the records Marino broke, but was 0-3 in SBs.) He may be the best pocket passer EVER, and is certainly better than Brady, but has NEVER had as much help.

He's running out of time for the rest of his teammates to show up and earn their paychecks, something few but DT, Welker and Moreno were willing to do EVERY week of last season. Our D is WAY better than the wet tissue paper he always had in Indy, but our line is WAY worse than the studs he had there. Clady's on par with Tarik Glenn, but after that it goes downhill fast. Vasquez is a great pass blocker and OK against the run, but he's no Jeff Saturday, while Ramirez struggles to remember the snap count and Franklin and Clark are only good against power rushers; they're turnstiles against speed rushers.

Remember JTs first career TD? Do you ALSO remember Terrell Suggs (IIRC) blowing by Ramirez like he was mist to wrap up and PLANT Manning with a shoulder to the ribs? Mannings Colts always blocked well enough that was rare, but what happened when he lost those guys? Someone snapped his freakin' SPINE, threatening PARALYSIS and his career, so he wound up on waivers, first ballot HoFer or not.

There's a school of thought that says, "teams must run to establish the pass, and protect the QB to prevent sacks, so any team with lots of passing yards and TDs but few sacks MUST have great run AND pass blocking, QED." Except, no; with a first ballot HoFer who can make instant pre-snap reads and audibles, then go from snap to completion in half a second, teams still rack up tons of passing yards and TD with few sacks even with a Swiss cheese line. Marino did it when he threw 48 TDs at a time that seemed an impossible total (it took 25 years and PFM to better it by even ONE TD) and Manning does, too.

slim
10-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Two words:

Tee Bow.

That said, he better be focused on the record. A bunch of us are going to be at this game and he better damn well break it!!

That would be sweet.