omac
12-01-2007, 12:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7595234

[B]Scheffler back on Cutler radar
Healthy again, the tight end is a favorite target of QB
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 11/30/2007 12:39:23 AM MST

A broken foot sidelined Broncos second-year tight end Tony Scheffler early this season, but now he's again making highlight-reel catches and fulfilling his considerable promise. (Post / Cyrus McCrimmon)

Tony Scheffler is the type of player who belongs in highlight films. He is a beast of a man at 6-feet-5, 250 pounds. If he were a tight end 30 years ago, he would have been considered a freak. Today he fits right in.

He runs like a receiver, catches like a receiver and has built a special on-field bond with his quarterback.

But it hasn't been easy. After a slow start to his career last year, Scheffler finished his rookie season strong and thought the tough times were behind him. That wasn't the case. His 2007 season started poorly because of an offseason workout injury. But for the past two months, Scheffler has had that special look.

"It was something, wasn't it?" Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said. "He has good body control, great hands, sees the ball well and he wants to make big catches for us, and I think that's the most important part."

Scheffler appeared to put the game out of reach in the fourth quarter with a spectacular touchdown grab before the Broncos collapsed and lost in overtime. While draped by two Bears defenders, the former college baseball outfielder leaped high in battling for position, reaching for the ball with his left hand and sending it pinballing down his long body. The ball came to rest between Scheffler's legs, which he clamped together to make the touchdown reception.

"Looking at the film, it seemed a lot harder than it was because it all happened so quickly," Scheffler said. "But it shows that if you stick with it, good things will happen."

Scheffler surely was talking about more than his unreal touchdown catch when he uttered that sentence.

Scheffler says he never has taken his eyes off the NFL prize, but there have been times his confidence avered and he wallowed in his bad fortune.

In May, during an offseason workout, Scheffler suffered a broken foot that required surgery but initially appeared to be a minor blip. After shining along with Cutler in the final five games last season, there was plenty of hope from the organization, fantasy football owners and Scheffler himself going into this season.

A month earlier, Scheffler, a second-round pick in 2006, had said he was in the best shape of his life and was ready to continue what he started at the end of last season. Scheffler made 12 of his 18 receptions and all four of his TD catches once Cutler took over as quarterback in the final five games.

"Tony is an underrated guy," running back Mike Bell said. "We know he is a guy who can stretch the field and make plays when we need it."

When Scheffler broke his foot, though, all that hope was put on hold. Scheffler thought he'd be ready for the beginning of training camp, but the injury lingered and he spent most of camp on the physically unable to perform list. Instead of building chemistry with Cutler and working with new tight end Daniel Graham, Scheffler was working out with fellow injured players Brandon Marshall and Rod Smith on the side.

"It was a long road," Scheffler said. "You expect to come in and do things, but then you have to watch. You get worried. You kind of go in the tank a little."

It didn't help Scheffler's confidence when the season started and the coaching staff continued to be cautious with him. Scheffler, who still needs to work on his blocking ability, made only two catches in the five games before the bye. In the six games after the bye, Scheffler has made 26 catches, with his lowest output being three catches. Against the Bears he made five catches for a season-high 82 yards.

And Cutler is enjoying having his training camp roommate back.

"Getting back from his broken foot in the offseason, he just gained his confidence," Cutler said. "He's come a long way since the beginning of the season. We kind of expected it. We knew it was going to take a little bit longer, but it's just good to have him out there making plays for us."

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2007/1129/20071129__20071130_E06_SP30BJUMP3-B~p1_300.JPG

SR
12-01-2007, 12:39 PM
The guy is abeast and his catch last week was insane.

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Good find Omac.

I had wondered when Scheffler was hurt if that would throw his chemistry with Cutler off once he got back onto the field. Apparently it hasn't. :beer:

omac
12-01-2007, 01:32 PM
What I like about Scheffler is that he fights hard for the ball, even when it's misthrown; 1,000 % effort! Stokley's the same way, and though it took Marshall a few games since taking the starting job, he's the same way too.

Right now, all Bronco receivers fight hard for the ball, and that's huge! :cheers:

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
What I like about Scheffler is that he fights hard for the ball, even when it's misthrown; 1,000 % effort! Stokley's the same way, and though it took Marshall a few games since taking the starting job, he's the same way too.

Right now, all Bronco receivers fight hard for the ball, and that's huge! :cheers:

I agree. That touchdown last week by Scheffler was all effort.

I really do like the young talent we are accumulating on both sides of the ball.

omac
12-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree. That touchdown last week by Scheffler was all effort.

I really do like the young talent we are accumulating on both sides of the ball.

Now if only they can just stay healthy. :D Despite all the injuries, this team fights hard through adversity. Speaking of injuries, here's an article about how everyone in Denver who touches the football seems to get injured ...

It's game of hut potato ... http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/30/its-game-of-hut-potato/

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 02:19 PM
with him, Jay, Young, Hall, Graham and most of the OLINE this team has a great young nucleus to be great for a long time..

Now all we need is a DT and a safety for Lynches psot in two years..

omac
12-01-2007, 02:29 PM
with him, Jay, Young, Hall, Graham and most of the OLINE this team has a great young nucleus to be great for a long time..

Now all we need is a DT and a safety for Lynches psot in two years..

Then we can move Gold to MLB ... just kidding. :D

pnbronco
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks OMAC. I have to tell you I almost fell out of my chair when Tony came up with the ball. I yelled are you kidding me, and it was a good thing. I am so glad that the chemistry is coming back, I just hope the injury bug can leave us alone, what a year. I was looking at some pictures that my husband took at the last 2 homes games last year and it was nuts. I was saying gone, hurt, gone so I hope the boys get healthy and the chemistry continues.:D

omac
12-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks OMAC. I have to tell you I almost fell out of my chair when Tony came up with the ball. I yelled are you kidding me, and it was a good thing. I am so glad that the chemistry is coming back, I just hope the injury bug can leave us alone, what a year. I was looking at some pictures that my husband took at the last 2 homes games last year and it was nuts. I was saying gone, hurt, gone so I hope the boys get healthy and the chemistry continues.:D

Yeah, that was a sick! How he kept it from touching the ground wasn't just luck, but pure concentration.

Broncos Mtnman
12-01-2007, 06:26 PM
The future looks bright for the "Cutler to Scheffler" connection.

If they are both on the team long enough, you could see numbers that will rival the Elway to Sharpe days.

It's great to see him playing like he's able.

Lonestar
12-01-2007, 06:42 PM
The future looks bright for the "Cutler to Scheffler" connection.

If they are both on the team long enough, you could see numbers that will rival the Elway to Sharpe days.

It's great to see him playing like he's able.

I think you may be on the mark here :salute: to you..

Jay has exceeded my expectations this year.. I expected a lot of rookie mistakes, lots of sacks and picks. Way better than I thought he would be at this point in his career.

Mikey finally got a #1 pick on offense right it was a long time coming. Glad he made this one..

broncosfanscott
12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Good find Omac.

I had wondered when Scheffler was hurt if that would throw his chemistry with Cutler off once he got back onto the field. Apparently it hasn't. :beer:

That is why I was totally bummed when he got hurt during camp. I am glad to see that those two have picked up where they left off last season.

He had some serious concentration on the TD catch last Sunday.

broncosfanscott
12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I think you may be on the mark here :salute: to you..

Jay has exceeded my expectations this year.. I expected a lot of rookie mistakes, lots of sacks and picks. Way better than I thought he would be at this point in his career.

Mikey finally got a #1 pick on offense right it was a long time coming. Glad he made this one..

And considering everything that has happened with our team this year, he is playing very well. I am so glad that he was able to get some experience at the end of last season.

TXBRONC
12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
That is why I was totally bummed when he got hurt during camp. I am glad to see that those two have picked up where they left off last season.

He had some serious concentration on the TD catch last Sunday.

No kidding, besides the fact he was reaching back to were he literally was parallel to the ground he had two defenders on him draped all over him.

pnbronco
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
No kidding, besides the fact he was reaching back to were he literally was parallel to the ground he had two defenders on him draped all over him.

I know, then he popped up like a Jack - In- Box inbetween the 2 defenders. He was holding that ball up in the air and when I saw the ref lift his arms that's when I almost fell out of my chair. I so glad he is getting back into form, I hope it only gets better.

TXBRONC
12-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I know, then he popped up like a Jack - In- Box inbetween the 2 defenders. He was holding that ball up in the air and when I saw the ref lift his arms that's when I almost fell out of my chair. I so glad he is getting back into form, I hope it only gets better.

Scheffler just might end up being a top nothc tight end before his career is over.

Watchthemiddle
12-02-2007, 12:35 AM
With Sheffler and Cutler clicking again and Cutler and Marshall in sync the way they have been of late, this offense and its skill positions are looking good for the future. Add a healthy Walker and every day RB in the mix ( Darren Mcfadden ) and we have ourselves a 5 headed beast for years to come.