PDA

View Full Version : Shaquil Barrett signed to active 53

dogfish
10-15-2014, 12:43 AM
we're bringing him up from the practice squad to fill trevathan's roster spot (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/report-broncos-to-promote-shaquil-barrett-from-practice-squad/)

i'd guess he'll play some special teams, so good developmental opportunity for him. . .

underrated29
10-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Hell probably spy and chase kaep all over the field. He better now that treviathan is out.

chazoe60
10-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Hell probably spy and chase kaep all over the field. He better now that treviathan is out.
Isn't Shaq more of a thumper type. Not sure he has the speed to spy Kaepernick.

underrated29
10-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Maybe that's him. I thought he was the faster quick smaller guy. Maybe that's Nelson. I don't know.

I'd actually be in favor of using carter and Moore as he safeties and drop TJ down as the spy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Maybe that's him. I thought he was the faster quick smaller guy. Maybe that's Nelson. I don't know.

I'd actually be in favor of using carter and Moore as he safeties and drop TJ down as the spy.

In the past we've had great success using Von that way. He did a great job against Newton, but had a mixed bag of results against Wilson.

CoachChaz
10-15-2014, 12:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing. TJ is much better against the run anyway, so why not have him play the spy as the WILL?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2014, 12:14 PM
The Broncos on Wednesday added linebacker Shaquil Barrett to their active roster and signed defensive end Gerald Rivers to their practice squad, the NFL team announced.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26732334/broncos-add-shaquil-barrett-roster-gerald-rivers-practice-squad

Joel
10-15-2014, 12:41 PM
It sounds like we'll only see Barrett in nickel (if at all:) Marshall takes Trevathans spot (like before; they didn't give him Trevathans micced up helmet for nothing) so he's the base Will, but since he AND Trevathan were our nickel LBs, we need someone to take his spot there when he slides to Trevathans. But IIRC Marshall and Irving were our nickel LBs when Trevathan was hurt, so we may do that again.

That leaves Barrett (or whoever) on the bench, but no longer on the PS; part of "next man up" is moving the NEXT next man up in case of further injury, which may be all this is. One minor note is that even on the gameday actives (which Barrett doesn't have to be) a player still retains PS eligibility as long as he plays <9 games, so we could PS Barrett again this year (and next) once Trevathan's healthy.

dogfish
10-15-2014, 01:38 PM

he's the hybrid pass rusher from CSU. . . played some MIKE there, but he's not really a thumper, or even a pure linebacker at this level, most likely. . . and yes, nelson is the other guy that will play in nickel, unless they drop ward down. . .

sneakers
10-15-2014, 03:24 PM
wew

Joel
10-16-2014, 04:14 PM
The takeaway here, as during Trevathans first injury, is that we've got a LOT of good LB depth, which I mainly attribute to the former LB who's our current DC. I wish we had the depth ANYWHERE on offense that we have EVERYWHERE on defense; I bet the majority of our backups could and would start on many other teams. The only place I even MIGHT worry if someone went down is safety, but Bruton, Carter and Bolden aren't terrible alternatives even there.