PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos unseat Dallas Cowboys as favorite football team

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2014, 09:47 AM
After a six-year run as America's favorite football team, the Dallas Cowboys have been toppled from that spot by the Denver Broncos.

The annual ranking was determined by an online survey by The Harris Poll of U.S. adults who follow football. The Harris Poll conducted the survey between Sept. 10-17.

The Broncos moved up two places from last year, while the Cowboys fell to the No. 4 position as a fan favorite.

rest - http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/morning_call/2014/10/denver-broncos-unseat-dallas-cowboys-as-favorite.html

BroncoNut
10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
puh yuke. not what I like to hear. I may have to change teams

Dreadnought
10-14-2014, 09:57 AM
puh yuke. not what I like to hear. I may have to change teams

The Jagwads are looking for fans. Maybe they can make you an offer? They might be good for a free toaster oven or car wash coupons or something.

BroncoNut
10-14-2014, 10:00 AM
The Jagwads are looking for fans. Maybe they can make you an offer? They might be good for a free toaster oven or car wash coupons or something.

first team that came to mind. Jagwads, never heard that one. anyway, thanks,

Bronco9798
10-14-2014, 03:38 PM
http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/14/denver-broncos-dallas-cowboys-america-favorite-team

The Denver Broncos have topped the Dallas Cowboys as the most popular NFL team, according to a Harris Poll asking fans to name their favorite team in early September.

Following a Super Bowl loss in February, Peyton Manning and the Broncos improved from third to first for the first time since the poll began in 1998. Denver has seen its popularity increase from a low-point of 17th in 2011 before Manning joined the team.

Despite their best start since 2007, the Cowboys dropped out of the top spot for the first time since 2006. They were ranked fourth. It is only the second time in 14 polls that Dallas has not finished either first or second.

I Eat Staples
10-14-2014, 04:23 PM
That's pretty cool. I also think anyone who identifies as a Cowboys fan should be demanded to pass a football knowledge quiz.

aberdien
10-14-2014, 04:30 PM
As a non-conformist hipster, I have mixed feelings.

OrangeHoof
10-14-2014, 06:00 PM
The New York Giants (http://www.broncosforums.com/nfl/team/new-york-giants) finished second

I stopped right there. I have to question the methodology. Is this like those online polls that keep telling us Ron Paul will be the next president?

Joel
10-14-2014, 07:24 PM
That's pretty cool. I also think anyone who identifies as a Cowboys fan should be demanded to pass a football knowledge quiz.
They're tied with Pitt for most SB, CCG and playoff appearances of ANYONE, and just a game behind Pitt for most SB wins: Because the Steelers are 2-1 against Dallas in SBs. Until they're recent mediocrity, the only time SINCE THE MERGER they weren't contenders was a brief 5 year span at the end of the Landry Era—and all they did after that was become the first team to win 3 SBs in 4 years (and it would've been 4 straight if not for some VERY one-sided officiating in the '94 NFCCG.)

Love 'em or hate 'em, they've earned their laurels by doing more and more often in the last half-century than anyone but Pitt, nearly matching them, too. So, did I pass? :tongue:

I stopped right there. I have to question the methodology. Is this like those online polls that keep telling us Ron Paul will be the next president?
Guess which state was 2nd largest till TX passed it in 2000. If Denver can better that with a much smaller local population, that says a lot about the Broncos general popularity.

Buff
10-14-2014, 08:34 PM
One of these johnny-come-lately bandwagoner newbs needs to go get me a coffee while I process this news.

Bronco9798
10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
They're tied with Pitt for most SB, CCG and playoff appearances of ANYONE, and just a game behind Pitt for most SB wins: Because the Steelers are 2-1 against Dallas in SBs. Until they're recent mediocrity, the only time SINCE THE MERGER they weren't contenders was a brief 5 year span at the end of the Landry Era—and all they did after that was become the first team to win 3 SBs in 4 years (and it would've been 4 straight if not for some VERY one-sided officiating in the '94 NFCCG.)

Love 'em or hate 'em, they've earned their laurels by doing more and more often in the last half-century than anyone but Pitt, nearly matching them, too. So, did I pass? :tongue:

Guess which state was 2nd largest till TX passed it in 2000. If Denver can better that with a much smaller local population, that says a lot about the Broncos general popularity.

You actually analyzed that? That's just for fun man!! Wow..

mouthofsouth
10-15-2014, 12:50 AM
I do not think America has a favorite team. Most football fans have a regional team they pull for. If some team outside your area or region is your favorite team, so be it. It may be for many different reasons. I follow Denver because of Peyton Manning being my very favorite quarterback and football player. Before that I followed Indy and pulled for them. I admit it. I am more prone to have a favorite player in sports than to be for a particular team. And I think that is true of many people. Right now Peyton Manning probably the most loved and respected player in the country, and people from all over are pulling for him.

I have always respected the Broncos, though. They are one of the classiest teams. Never liked the Cowboys, and cannot stand their obnoxious owner.

The classiest player selected one of the classiest teams, and that is part of his class. LOL.

Timmy!
10-15-2014, 04:38 AM
Thread merge in 3, 2,.........

Bronco9798
10-15-2014, 06:59 AM
I do not think America has a favorite team. Most football fans have a regional team they pull for. If some team outside your area or region is your favorite team, so be it. It may be for many different reasons. I follow Denver because of Peyton Manning being my very favorite quarterback and football player. Before that I followed Indy and pulled for them. I admit it. I am more prone to have a favorite player in sports than to be for a particular team. And I think that is true of many people. Right now Peyton Manning probably the most loved and respected player in the country, and people from all over are pulling for him.

I have always respected the Broncos, though. They are one of the classiest teams. Never liked the Cowboys, and cannot stand their obnoxious owner.

The classiest player selected one of the classiest teams, and that is part of his class. LOL.

So you're a bandwagon fan that jumps teams depending on what player you like. I could never do that. I'm a team fan. I like the team and root for the players. But I spent my younger years in Denver so I know nothing else but Bronco football.

Joel
10-15-2014, 08:47 AM
So you're a bandwagon fan that jumps teams depending on what player you like. I could never do that. I'm a team fan. I like the team and root for the players. But I spent my younger years in Denver so I know nothing else but Bronco football.
She's not a bandwagon fan, just a fan of players rather than teams. I can understand and respect that even if I lean more the other way; when the Saints got Bum and Earl I wished them well and swore at Bud Adams instead of the opposite (the vanishingly small chance the Oilers and Saints would face each other in a meaningful game admittedly helped.) A part of me still misses the days when every pink slip from Shanny was stapled to a ticket to Kubiaks Texans. It's safe to say her loyalty runs deep and long or she wouldn't have stuck with Manning when he was kicked to another team.

You actually analyzed that? That's just for fun man!! Wow..
Sure I analyzed it: Decades ago, because the Cowboys/Steelers rivalry has long been one of the NFLs biggest. Again, they're the two most successful teams since the merger, tied in SB, CCG and playoff appearances, with Pitt holding the thinnest of leads because they've got the head-to-head SB matchup by a SINGLE game, which is why they're 6-2 in SBs and Dallas 5-3 instead of the reverse. There's been a drought since, but when Dallas won SB XXX, they'd been in >25% of ALL SUPER BOWLS EVER PLAYED. You wanna talk bandwagons.... ;)

GEM
10-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Some were blessed to be born Broncos fans, some just got smart and landed here later. Either way, Broncos fans. Unless they were Tebow fans...then they just jumped off and the bus hit them on the way out. :D

Bronco9798
10-15-2014, 09:12 AM
I was born a Bronco, Reds, Pacers, Notre Dame football and Indiana Hoosiers College basketball fan. I just don't know any difference. I've never, ever jumped teams. I'm loyal. That's all i know!!!

CoachChaz
10-15-2014, 09:14 AM
It's a mirage poll that means nothing. For the most part, you'll notice that the teams at the top are teams that have recent and even historical success...or have Peyton Manning. Most sports fans are bandwagon fans in general and you'd likely see the same thing in any sport. My guess is the Heat, Spurs and Lakers top the NBA list with Cleveland suddenly being in the top 5. We know the Yankees and Sox top the baseball list. So, I wouldn't get too invested in this. I'll use t to talk shit to all of my local Cowboys loving friends, but that's mostly because having sports conversations with the average fair-weathered Texas fan can be entertaining. If Manning retires after this year and Seattle becomes a 6-10 team, those results change immediately.

CoachChaz
10-15-2014, 09:20 AM
I was born a Bronco, Reds, Pacers, Notre Dame football and Indiana Hoosiers College basketball fan. I just don't know any difference. I've never, ever jumped teams. I'm loyal. That's all i know!!!

Amen. Broncos, Orioles, Sixers, North Stars (Stars) for me. And I've been fortunate enough to see all of them win a Championship in my lifetime. Sadly, it's been 15 years since the last one, but I've never waivered. Other than maybe college. I never really had a college that I was 100% a fan of until I was 18. Always kind of pulled for PennState and Michigan as a kid, but never enough to claim fandom.

Joel
10-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Some were blessed to be born Broncos fans, some just got smart and landed here later. Either way, Broncos fans. Unless they were Tebow fans...then they just jumped off and the bus hit them on the way out. :D
The biggest blessing for Broncos fans is probably Bowlen, who's spent 30 years annually IMPROVING his team WITHOUT MICROMANAGING it via his ego. The results speak for themselves: Denvers losing seasons in that span can be counted on my fingers; fans of some teams are just glad they can do it if they take off their shoes. Look at Seattle: They've been around since the late '70s, but before last year they only had one season to really be proud of (no, knocking the defending Champs out of the playoffs doesn't count, not when they got there with a LOSING team because the NFCW was THAT bad.)

Elway and Manning surely help, but that record helps at least as much, and the bulk of that's Bowlen, IMHO. Conversely, even 3 SB wins couldn't sustain Dallas' popularity once Jerry turned Landrys modest boy scouts into a bragging reform school.

Apollo
10-15-2014, 03:24 PM
As much as I hate the sound of bandwagoners getting behind our beloved team, fans who will undoubtedly leave for someone else whenever we go through a rough patch, this organization has been run in the most classy and professional for some years now. It's no doubt that others want to follow us. :)