PDA

View Full Version : John Fox defends Julius Thomas' "easy" touchdown celebration

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Criticism finds tight end Julius Thomas on Mondays. A week after getting ripped for his blocking by the Arizona Cardinals, the Broncos star was knocked for his touchdown celebration against the New York Jets.

After his second score and ninth of the season, tying the Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson for the most ever through five games, Thomas punctuated it with howls of " It's so easy!"

Coach John Fox supported Thomas' celebration, calling it genuine emotion in the heat of the moment.

"These guys aren't at a desk in an accountant's office .I'm not knocking accountants. It's a very combative game," Fox said. "It's why we have initiated a 12-minute cooling-off period after games. He's very enthusiastic. ... And I am glad he his."

A field microphone picked up Thomas' gesture, and it quickly went viral. Thomas explained that he's happy, and is not making a statement about the league or an opponent.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26719782/john-fox-defends-julius-thomas-easy-touchdown-celebration

OrangeHoof
10-13-2014, 04:05 PM
"It's so easy. It's so f-----g easy!" Yup. When Manning gets time to throw, it does look that way.

Bronco9798
10-13-2014, 04:06 PM
No big deal, really. It's a fun game. Let them have fun. And he makes it look so easy, I'm sure he means it. Why not?

Ravage!!!
10-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah.. I don't want to take away the fun when things are going well. That only builds into more momentum. I like high confidence.

BroncoJoe
10-13-2014, 04:11 PM
stq4-99-J74

BroncoWave
10-13-2014, 04:13 PM
What kind of no-life-having losers are actually offended/upset by that comment? I mean, really? If hearing someone say that after scoring a TD offends you, stop watching football.

tomjonesrocks
Haha -- "not about an opponent".

I didn't love it -- I just think it gives other teams more reason to chirp when things don't go your way -- which is why I can't wait for a guy like Sherman to get his comeuppance.

No big deal though.

Krugan
You used linda ronstadt and not Guns and roses????????

:sigh:

Krugan
10-13-2014, 04:15 PM
We live in a country where everyone is offended by everything, did you not get that memo?

BroncoJoe
10-13-2014, 04:35 PM
You used linda ronstadt and not Guns and roses????????

:sigh:

Sorry man. She's way more attractive.

Bronco9798
10-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Sorry man. She's way more attractive.

True, Axel has ballooned up and looks pretty bad.

aberdien
10-13-2014, 05:04 PM
I bet Joel hates this.

I like it when Richard Sherman does it, and I like it when Orange Julius does it.

TXBRONC
10-13-2014, 05:17 PM
No big deal, really. It's a fun game. Let them have fun. And he makes it look so easy, I'm sure he means it. Why not?

Agreed it's no big deal.

Joel
10-13-2014, 05:24 PM
stq4-99-J74
Um, no: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rU3W45wks Give credit where due; he did WRITE the thing, after all.

BroncoJoe
10-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Um, no: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rU3W45wks Give credit where due; he did WRITE the thing, after all.

SHE made it popular again. Love Buddy Holly though.

EDIT: Honestly, Gary Busey did an outstanding job with the song as well. Perhaps better than the original.

Joel
10-13-2014, 05:35 PM
I bet Joel hates this.

I like it when Richard Sherman does it, and I like it when Orange Julius does it.
He didn't shout an extended crazy-eyed Adderall-tweaking rant into a reporter or opponents face, or a camera broadcasting it nationally: He said seven words. There's nothing wrong with a player momentarily celebrating his and his teammates' accomplishment; "This is too easy" is even in Madden, so technically the NFL not only sanctions but OFFICIALLY LICENSES that celebration. He didn't go Terrell Owens on them, else a response like George Teagues would've been equally justified.

Joel
10-13-2014, 05:37 PM
SHE made it popular again. Love Buddy Holly though.
The key word being "again."

EDIT: Honestly, Gary Busey did an outstanding job with the song as well. Perhaps better than the original.
More sacrilege; if you're not careful you're going to spontaneously combust. :tongue:

OrangeHoof
10-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Linda Ronstadt was to remakes what Sting was to repetitive nonsense.

Joel
10-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Linda Ronstadt was to remakes what Sting was to repetitive nonsense.
Sure you're not thinking of Joe Cocker? That dude made a whole career out of (generally bad) covers.

MOtorboat
10-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Well. It was kind of easy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2014, 07:03 PM
"It's so easy. It's so f-----g easy!" Yup. When Manning gets time to throw, it does look that way.

Especially when a small db is on an island in coverage at the goal line.

tomjonesrocks
10-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I bet Joel hates this. I like it when Richard Sherman does it, and I like it when Orange Julius does it.

Fine, but you can't go all Tom Brady and pout on the bench when shit goes bad. Talk that shit, own it later when it comes back.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Well. It was kind of easy.

Right when he caught the ball I said, "that's too easy". Then Julius went on his little rant and my son laughed and said, "that's what you just said.'

It did look easy. Putting a small corner on JT is a recipe for disaster. That's just the problem teams face though. There just aren't many teams that can match up with Julius with all of the attention DT, Sanders, and Welker command. There is almost always going to be one of those guys who is left one on one with a DB or LB who isn't all that great in coverage, or if they are good in coverage, they're matched up with the wrong guy, ie. a corner on a 6'5 250 TE.

aberdien
10-13-2014, 08:57 PM
He didn't shout an extended crazy-eyed Adderall-tweaking rant
Because adrenaline can never cause somebody to be overly excited after making a game-winning defensive play. Not sure what evidence you have that at that moment he was drugged up and the "crazy-eyed" phrase is a sketchy thing to say.

Joel
10-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Because adrenaline can never cause somebody to be overly excited after making a game-winning defensive play. Not sure what evidence you have that at that moment he was drugged up and the "crazy-eyed" phrase is a sketchy thing to say.
His positive Adderall test is pretty strong evidence. Of course, he said he just mistakenly grabbed a water bottle belonging to a teammate with a prescription, during a game, which makes it OK because the NFL allows Adderall by prescription (even though NFL rules ALSO say it can't be used during GAMES even by prescription, and we never heard another word about WHICH teammate violated the PED-ban with an Adderall spiked water bottle.) Then he came around after his suspension was overturned and gave us a completely different story about how HE had a prescription and, anyway "half the league's on it."

There's something sketchy there, alright.... ;)

tripp
10-13-2014, 09:33 PM
Only reason why Julius is catching grief is because we could hear it on TV. Media/people act like no pro athlete has ever said anything like this before. If you mic'd up every player on Sunday, you'll hear worse. Media making noise because people react to it.