PDA

View Full Version : The good and the bad: Week 6

BroncoWave
10-12-2014, 10:49 PM
I was watching this game in a sports bar today and not hyper focused on every play like usual, so this will be a shorter list from me. Please fill in the gaps where I missed though.

Good:

Peyton. Ho hum, another nice passing day for him.

Hillman. Told. Ya. I said since game 1 of the preseason that he was improve, and he continues to prove it. He was awesome today.

Juwan. Great job by him today. He and Hillman make a solid 1-2 punch.

DT. OMG he made some sick catches today. It's insane how good he is.

JT. 9 TDs through 5 games already. He is on pace to shatter some records this year. Just awesome.

Von. He was wreaking havoc in the Jets backfield today.

Ward. Making plays all over the field as usual.

Talib. Sealed the game with a sweet pick 6.

Bad:

O-line. It feels weird to put them here as great as we ran it today, but I thought today was a stinker from them. Peyton was getting harassed all day, they were committing multiple false starts and holdings, then there was that horrible snap that Wes thankfully jumped on. Was not impressed with them today.

Fox. Not that he had a horrible coaching day, but he goes in this column because of that challenge. How is such a good coach so incompetent at challenging calls. How do we not have someone in the booth telling him not to challenge these things? It's a little ridiculous.

Caldwell. Made some absolutely retarded decisions to run kicks out of the endzone. I keep reading that he stays ahead of Latimer because he is the kick returner. Well, if he can't even do that right, why is he active again?

This is all I have for the week. As I said, I wasn't as focused on the game as usual.

wayninja
10-12-2014, 10:55 PM
I'd add:

Good
Roby continues to impress. Solid defensive skills make him look like he's been out there for years.
Sanders, while not having a statistically standout game, continues to show his toughness, heart, and leadership on the field.

Bad:
Ramirez had probably his worst game as Bronco. He was terrible today. Bad communication, couldn't block. I honestly think he might have been drunk.

Bronco9798
10-12-2014, 10:57 PM
I was watching this game in a sports bar today and not hyper focused on every play like usual, so this will be a shorter list from me. Please fill in the gaps where I missed though.

Good:

Peyton. Ho hum, another nice passing day for him.

Hillman. Told. Ya. I said since game 1 of the preseason that he was improve, and he continues to prove it. He was awesome today.

Juwan. Great job by him today. He and Hillman make a solid 1-2 punch.

DT. OMG he made some sick catches today. It's insane how good he is.

JT. 9 TDs through 5 games already. He is on pace to shatter some records this year. Just awesome.

Von. He was wreaking havoc in the Jets backfield today.

Ward. Making plays all over the field as usual.

Talib. Sealed the game with a sweet pick 6.

Bad:

O-line. It feels weird to put them here as great as we ran it today, but I thought today was a stinker from them. Peyton was getting harassed all day, they were committing multiple false starts and holdings, then there was that horrible snap that Wes thankfully jumped on. Was not impressed with them today.

Fox. Not that he had a horrible coaching day, but he goes in this column because of that challenge. How is such a good coach so incompetent at challenging calls. How do we not have someone in the booth telling him not to challenge these things? It's a little ridiculous.

Caldwell. Made some absolutely retarded decisions to run kicks out of the endzone. I keep reading that he stays ahead of Latimer because he is the kick returner. Well, if he can't even do that right, why is he active again?

This is all I have for the week. As I said, I wasn't as focused on the game as usual.

One thing to add to your positives:

Colquitt had a nice game punting the ball today. He helped with a few really nice kicks and got some good rolls.

Noting too negative for me. It was a great win! We keep our pace with SD. It was a road game and it was a tough environment. You're never going to play a perfect game. Focus on the positives and work on the negatives.

Good game!! GO Broncos!!!!

Davii
10-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Roby really got hammered by the media during the preseason. Glad to see the young man persevere and show he has some chops.

NightTrainLayne
10-12-2014, 11:25 PM
I agree with that challenge from Fox. I know he's not got a great track record, and I've been very critical of many of his challenges, but that one was justified IMO.

Good: we overcame a lot of adversity on the road, and ran well on a top notch run defense.

Bad: discipline. Those penalties are killers.

Davii
10-12-2014, 11:28 PM
I agree with that challenge from Fox. I know he's not got a great track record, and I've been very critical of many of his challenges, but that one was justified IMO.

Good: we overcame a lot of adversity on the road, and ran well on a top notch run defense.

Were it not for the penalties on the line I think we put up two more TDs.

Nomad
10-12-2014, 11:30 PM

Penalties were bad......throwing punches never goes over well.

MOtorboat
10-12-2014, 11:37 PM
The good: you finally got your ass out and went to a sports bar!

BroncoWave
10-13-2014, 08:11 AM
The good: you finally got your ass out and went to a sports bar!

This was the third week in a row they weren't on TV and I was finally fed up with it. :lol:

Thankfully the next two are national TV games.

Dreadnought
10-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Totally agred on the Fox challenge. The situation called for it (high stakes) and it was a bad call on its merits.

Andre Caldwell is the worst return man I can remember seeing. Not just this game, either. If he actually has either speed or quickness I've seen no evidence of it

HORSEPOWER 56
10-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Caldwell and Burse make me miss Trindon Holliday. I know Holliday had fielding/ball security issues but he was a legit threat every return. Our return game is terrible this year. At least Holliday kept it exciting...

BroncoWave
10-13-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm willing to admit I might have been wrong on the Fox challenge. I just seem to remember seeing the replay and it looking really obvious we wouldn't win it.

And yeah, Caldwell needs to go. He has done absolutely nothing productive on the field this season. Time to see what Latimer can do IMO.

BroncoWave
10-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Caldwell and Burse make me miss Trindon Holliday. I know Holliday had fielding/ball security issues but he was a legit threat every return. Our return game is terrible this year. At least Holliday kept it exciting...

Could not disagree more with this. One thing Caldwell and Burse are not doing is putting the ball on the ground consistently. We have an elite offense. We don't NEED a guy who is a thread in the return game. We just need a guy who will hold onto the ball and let the offense do their thing.

There is a very good reason Holliday is on the street right now and no one is giving him a sniff.

Nomad
10-13-2014, 08:33 AM

LOL! Perfect example of.....be careful what you wish for.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-13-2014, 08:37 AM

LOL! Perfect example of.....be careful what you wish for.

Maybe. It just doesn't seem like we have a competent return man right now. Hopefully, Burse can improve and take over both so we can activate Lattimer over Caldwell. He's another huge target for Manning.

Dreadnought
10-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Could not disagree more with this. One thing Caldwell and Burse are not doing is putting the ball on the ground consistently. We have an elite offense. We don't NEED a guy who is a thread in the return game. We just need a guy who will hold onto the ball and let the offense do their thing.

There is a very good reason Holliday is on the street right now and no one is giving him a sniff.

The choice is not necessarily limited to one of either Caldwell or Holliday. Holliday was fun but a liability. Caldwell simply blows. He should take a knee on any kickoff one or more yards into the end zone

HORSEPOWER 56
10-13-2014, 08:41 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a return of Holliday, I'm just hoping for better STs play. Maybe we should go back to Omar Bolden returning kicks. He's had a couple big returns before.

BroncoWave
10-13-2014, 08:42 AM
The choice is not necessarily limited to one of either Caldwell or Holliday. Holliday was fun but a liability. Caldwell simply blows. He should take a knee on any kickoff one or more yards into the end zone

The fact that he took TWO out of the endzone yesterday either means that our special teams coach is incompetent, or that Caldwell flat out ignored coaching and took it out anyway. I agree that there is just no reason at all Caldwell should EVER return one from out of the endzone.

TXBRONC
10-13-2014, 10:04 AM
One thing to add to your positives:

Colquitt had a nice game punting the ball today. He helped with a few really nice kicks and got some good rolls.

Noting too negative for me. It was a great win! We keep our pace with SD. It was a road game and it was a tough environment. You're never going to play a perfect game. Focus on the positives and work on the negatives.

Good game!! GO Broncos!!!!

We could also add Wolfe to the good. He had sack/safety unfortunately the refs blew it. He also made some other nice plays earlier in the game. I agree the offensive line belongs in the bad because of the dumb penalties.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2014, 10:13 AM

I'm not unhappy with Burse. He seems to have a pretty good football IQ when it comes to special teams. There have been times where I've seen him field punts around the 10-15 yard line and wondered if Holliday would have jut let it bounce down inside the 5 yard line to be downed. I think he's a decent return man, he just hasn't had many opportunities yet. He had a great return last week, that was nullified by a fairly stupid penalty.

swaiy
10-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm not denying the broncos need to clean up the penalties but I refuse to believe the Jets only committed 2.

I feel like these refs were incompetent or they weren't calling the game evenly.

Also, Dan Fouts has been a commentator for too goddamn long to make so many mistakes identifying players. In fact, I didn't hear him make a mistake for the Jets the entire game.

VonDoom
10-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree on Caldwell - I have no idea why he ran it out of the end zone, especially the second time where he hesitated and then made it all the way out to the five. We had terrible field position all day, and that would have at least given us the ball at the 20, which is better than inside the 10.

Caldwell can at least recover a fumble, though.

Other than that, I don't see why they don't activate Latimer in his place. Can we at least give him a shot to see the field?

MOtorboat
10-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I think the league screwed up two obvious overturns, one against the Broncos and one against the Jets. I'm not going to criticize Fox for throwing that challenge flag. I would have done the same and it should have been overturned.

LRtagger
10-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Caldwell just needs to put his ******* knee on the ground and walk his ass back to the bench where he belongs.

tripp
10-13-2014, 09:39 PM
I was at the Bills game yesterday so I wasn't able to watch the game live, although I watched a condensed version of the game so I missed some of the commentary but from what I've gathered from watching the replay of the game, O-line didn't look too hot in pass protection, and I've never seen Peyton scramble as much as he had that game. His throws didn't even seem to have a lot of air under them. Ronnie Hillman had a good game, and it looked like it was a nice change of pace with Juwan Thompson getting some carries. Montee Ball isn't missed, yet. Defense looked incredible.

Hawgdriver
10-14-2014, 02:16 AM
No real good and bad here, but damn is the defense great--and getting better. Holding a running team to 8 yards on the ground? Roby making an impact. Von and Ware on pace for 33 sacks. And JT may not be able to block a high school JV linebacker, but he's caught about 80% of the balls thrown his way, and of those, nearly half go for touchdowns. Sanders is not only productive and reliable, he's tougher than the most testosterone-laden heavy duty truck commercial makes a truck out to be.

tomjonesrocks
10-15-2014, 08:54 AM

What's been so wrong with Burse? Seems he really has only had a chance to make fair catches. Just not really remembering a real opportunity to do anything with the ball--always seems surrounded by defenders when it gets there.

BroncoJoe
10-15-2014, 08:55 AM
What's been so wrong with Burse? Seems he really has only had a chance to make fair catches.

That was my thought as well.

Hawgdriver
10-15-2014, 10:12 AM
How many fair catches has Burse fumbled so far? If 0, I'm content with Burse all things considered.

Ziggy
10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
What's been so wrong with Burse? Seems he really has only had a chance to make fair catches. Just not really remembering a real opportunity to do anything with the ball--always seems surrounded by defenders when it gets there.

Burse isn't the problem. Our special teams have been bad for years. The only saving grace has been having guys that can kick it out of the back of the endzone on kickoffs most of the time. We are currently 23rd in kickoff returns. Last year we were dead last in the league. We are currently 7th in punt returns, and last year finished 23rd. Our special teams haven't been special for a long time, but I don't put it on Burse.