PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Broncos are proving they can take a punch

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2014, 06:53 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — No matter how many records quarterback Peyton Manning breaks or how many points the Broncos score, the NFL does not believe Denver is tough enough to win the Super Bowl.

The book on how to beat the Broncos: Challenge their manhood. Spit at their fancy-pants, hurry-hurry offense. Dare them to fight.

Is it an insult to Denver? Yes.

But, to win a championship, the Broncos will have to answer snarky questions about their toughness from now until the confetti falls at the Super Bowl.

"The way the Jets played us, my guess was they didn't think much of our running game. ... When you take your two linebackers and walk them both out on (our) two receivers, they're basically kind of laughing at your running game. Based on what we've been doing, it was probably a valid philosophy," quarterback Peyton Manning said Sunday, after Denver beat New York 31-17.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_26714800/kiszla-broncos-are-proving-they-can-take-punch

Joel
10-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Link won't load for me, but it sounds like PFM gets it (he would.) It was unexpected but encouraging to see the run find more traction vs. a good run D than previously, for the second straight week. It wasn't great, but I don't expect a couple hundred rushing yards against top run Ds. That said, I'm still annoyed at asking the smaller scatback to try pushing it away from our goal line or convert 3rd and 1, while bigger hard-nosed Thompson looks on helplessly. I just don't get that, at all. Still not thrilled with the outside blocking either, but we've again shown we can overpower teams between the tackles.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Hillman doesn't have any less power than Moreno yet they used him the same way when he was playing well. Hillman picked up his share of 3rd and shorts, iirc, he only got stuffed once/twice.

Joel
10-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Hillman doesn't have any less power than Moreno yet they used him the same way when he was playing well. Hillman picked up his share of 3rd and shorts, iirc, he only got stuffed once/twice.
Moreno was running over people and breaking tackles when he played well: Does Hillman? When Moreno WASN'T doing that fans abused him every way imaginable, called him a bust and demanded we cut him.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Moreno was running over people and breaking tackles when he played well: Does Hillman? When Moreno WASN'T doing that fans abused him every way imaginable, called him a bust and demanded we cut him.

Moreno was thoroughly average or worse at literally everything, including power.

DenBronx
10-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Moreno was thoroughly average or worse at literally everything, including power.

You could make that case....until Manning came to town. Then he fit like a glove.

Joel
10-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Until last year, when he suddenly found his magic feather. I still contend he just gave up on his line, realized he was on his own, and responded like McGahee when he led the NFL in post-contact yards in 2011.

Look, I won't sit here trying to prove Hillman's a scatback just because you insist on disputing anything and everything I say. If you don't believe every Broncos coach and beat reporter or everyone who's called a Denver game in the last three seasons, I certainly can't convince you. You'll keep disagreeing for the sake of doing so until I stop replying, so take your last dig and let's both move on with our lives. Just don't mistake silence for concession nor disgust for submission.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I never said Hillman wasn't a scatback with average power, I said the Broncos are using him the same as another player you're completely wrong about.

I Eat Staples
10-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Personally I prefer Hillman over Ball in short yardage. Ball is too hesitant, when you're running in short yardage you need to find the hole and hit it hard. The line provides most of the power, so I like the back to provide the speed.

That said, our line struggles at run blocking and Hillman isn't exactly a master at bursting through the line of scrimmage either, but I don't mind the coaches giving him a chance. I would just prefer to spread the defense out and then run it up the middle rather than bring in an extra TE and TELL them we're going to run it.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Joel's inadequacies aside I remember watching the game unfold and thinking the Broncos where taking a huge step forward, they got punched in the mouth by one of the best DL's in the league and rebounded to have a solid game.

wayninja
10-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Hillman's upside is his quickness. Does he have other shortcomings? Absolutely. But he is so much quicker than any other back we've had, that it's incredibly prominent when he runs. He won't run over people, or make a lot after contact, but he hits that hole faster (by far) than any back we've had in a long time. He honestly reminds me of Darren Sproles. And how sweet was that catch?

If he doesn't fumble (yes, I know), he can be really potent for this offense.

NightTerror218
10-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Hillman also had two runs of 10+ yards taken away due the penalties. He ran well.