View Full Version : Smith happy with his play in debut

TXBRONC
09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13345455

Smith happy with his play in debut
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/16/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Rookie cornerback Alphonso Smith wasn't a first-round draft pick, but in many ways he will play one on TV each week.

Smith is the player the Broncos acquired for a first-round pick when they moved up to draft him in the second round. And he finished his first game Sunday with a smile on his face, having played a pile of snaps in the Broncos' 12-7 victory at Cincinnati. He was matched up against some of the Bengals' top receivers.

"It was a good feeling to be out there and contributing," Smith said. "I know there's a lot of things I'll have to fix when we look at it this week, but I just tried to compete on every play."

Smith let a chance at an interception slip through his hands when a tipped ball found its way into his grasp Sunday. He was credited with five tackles, including one for a loss on a Cincinnati running play.

In the nickel package — where Smith plays as the fifth defensive back — the Broncos limited the Bengals' top three receivers to two receptions for 29 yards.

Smith said he had a clear view of the Broncos' winning play when Brandon Stokley caught a deflected pass and completed an 87-yard touchdown reception with 11 seconds left.

"It was all a good feeling, kind of a strange way to open up. My 'welcome to the NFL' game," Smith said. "I saw Stokley running up under it with nobody around him. That was the craziest thing I've seen in my life, though. What a way to win."

High praise.

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who spent three years as the Ravens' defensive coordinator after one year as the team's wide receivers coach, made a rather high-profile comparison when talking about Broncos safety Brian Dawkins.

"He reminds me a lot of Ray and I coached (linebacker) Ray Lewis for a few years," Nolan said. "(Dawkins is) very mature in his way, very serious about football, does not hold back at all in what he thinks and sees, but he's not overbearing. And guys will respond to that."

Franchise's finest.

The Broncos announced their all-time team Tuesday as part of their 50-season celebration. Voted on by fans, the first team included Pro Football Hall of Famers John Elway at quarterback and Gary Zimmerman at offensive tackle. Floyd Little, a seniors committee nomination for the Hall of Fame's Class of 2010, was selected at running back along with Terrell Davis.

The first-team selections will be honored Oct. 11, a home game against New England featuring throwback uniforms.

Footnote.

With one of the NFL's best returners, Cleveland's Josh Cribbs, coming to Denver this weekend, the Broncos will have to adjust their coverage unit because Spencer Larsen's shoulder injury is expected to keep him out at least a few weeks.

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post

McKeough
09-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I must have missed it... what is the extent of Larsen's injury?

Slick
09-16-2009, 11:17 AM
That TFL in run support was a heck of a play. He didn't ask us to deal a 1 for him, so there's some added pressure he doesn't really deserve, but he looks good so far doesn't he?

Kaylore
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
That TFL in run support was a heck of a play. He didn't ask us to deal a 1 for him, so there's some added pressure he doesn't really deserve, but he looks good so far doesn't he?

I completely agree. He can't control who or where he is taken. There's a lot of displeasure toward him that is unwarranted. He is a Bronco and we should support him.

WARHORSE
09-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Smith was a difference maker........Hes only going to get better.

I LOVED him hitting Benson in the backfield.

Quite a difference in size there, yet he brought the wood and brought the man down.

He gets a Broncos Stallion salute for that one.

MasterShake
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM

And a few of his tackles he really threw the receivers down to the ground! Even if we are in a rebuilding year, you gotta like some of the lumber we are bringing to make a new house!

San Diego may be the best in the AFCW right now, but we have a better, younger nucleus to build on IMO. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Lonestar
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I must have missed it... what is the extent of Larsen's injury?

He slipped in the locker room on a wet spot on the floor.. fell funny and dinged his shoulder.. before the game on Sunday..

beyond that you now know as much as anyone..

now there was speculation that is was really a Mc Donald's bag, but the was started by BM..:laugh:

Lonestar
09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
normally I'm not a fan of midget DB but this kid looks really mature and experienced for a rookie..

lets hope he gets better and is a Bronco that can replace Champ when he retires..

claymore
09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
normally I'm not a fan of midget DB but this kid looks really mature and experienced for a rookie..

lets hope he gets better and is a Bronco that can replace Champ when he retires..

Lenny Walls ruined me on tall CB's. DW was far better than LW.

Lonestar
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM

well I agree there but I was not overly impressed with Darrent..

Most fans were calling for him to be removed near the end of the season.. then he was murdered and a hero again..

I hope Smith is that answer but would have loved him to be a couple of inches taller.. although he seems to play taller than he is..

claymore
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
well I agree there but I was not overly impressed with Darrent..

Most fans were calling for him to be removed near the end of the season.. then he was murdered and a hero again..

I hope Smith is that answer but would have loved him to be a couple of inches taller.. although he seems to play taller than he is..

DW pissed me off at times, but I wasnt calling for his head. I was so glad to get rid of the Lenny Walls experiment....

With DW, and Eddie Royal both being drafted as pure returners. I almost hope we draft a pure returner every year.

TXBRONC
09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
DW pissed me off at times, but I wasnt calling for his head. I was so glad to get rid of the Lenny Walls experiment....

With DW, and Eddie Royal both being drafted as pure returners. I almost hope we draft a pure returner every year.

Williams wasn't drafted to be a pure returner according to Shanahan. When Shanahan announced Williams as our 2nd round pick from 2003 draft. He said he would use him in the return game while and that he would get the chance to be the nickle back.

The same is true of Royal as well. Shanahan said when he draft Royal he thought he thought he would eventually starting wide receiver.

claymore
09-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Williams wasn't drafted to be a pure returner according to Shanahan. When Shanahan announced Williams as our 2nd round pick from 2003 draft. He said he would use him in the return game while and that he would get the chance to be the nickle back.

The same is true of Royal as well. Shanahan said when he draft Royal he thought he thought he would eventually starting wide receiver.

I believe you, but I remember it being more of a shock for both of those guys to start.

powderaddict
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Maybe cause he's short, but I remember seeing him hit somebody and thinking he looks thick for a CB!

Kinda like a quick little tank :D

Impressive first game for the rookie no doubt!

TXBRONC
09-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I believe you, but I remember it being more of a shock for both of those guys to start.

Shanahan didn't expect to start right away moreso DWill than Royal because he raved how Royal was exceptional route runner when he was VT.

Dean
09-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Lenny Walls was not only tall but he played taller. He would be too high and would lose balance on the cut. He didn't pump his arms to accelerate out of the break. Together it made him a sitting duck for any double move.