PDA

View Full Version : Cut Colquitt.

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Re-sign Prater, and Let McManus punt. If Prater gets suspended we have a guy that can do both.

underrated29
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
I'd rather add a lg

Nomad
10-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Why so hard on the rookie, McManus, so soon? Give him time, he'll get better.

Slick
10-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Re-sign Prater, and Let McManus punt. If Prater gets suspended we have a guy that can do both.

That's actually well thought out, but I think it's a bit risky for our team.

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 06:39 PM
That's actually well thought out, but I think it's a bit risky for our team.

The only downside I can think of is chemistry for the holder, kicker, long-snapper.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Why so hard on the rookie, McManus, so soon? Give him time, he'll get better.

He has a better chance of being a Alex Henery than being another Elam or Prater... too soon to decide his fate though. Still raw but doesn't inspire much confidence.

Nomad
10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
He has a better chance of being a Alex Henery than being another Elam or Prater... too soon to decide his fate though. Still raw but doesn't inspire much confidence.

Let's find out before trying to find his replacement already:lol:

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Let's find out before trying to find his replacement already:lol:

No, I agree. Gotta give him a fair shot. Been incredibly spoiled with kickers here so the sentiment is to be expected though IMO

Slick
10-05-2014, 06:47 PM
The only downside I can think of is chemistry for the holder, kicker, long-snapper.

Someone will gobble Prater up tomorrow. I'm not sure if Denver can be the first team to sign him again even if this were possible. I like the idea though. 10/10 for creativity.

Nomad
10-05-2014, 06:48 PM
No, I agree. Gotta give him a fair shot. Been incredibly spoiled with kickers here so the sentiment is to be expected though IMO

Elway hasn't let us down yet in picking talent....at least for the most part.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 06:50 PM
I'll always dislike releasing Prater. I understand it, but I still don't like it. Wasn't impressed at all with McManus today. I really hope he doesn't cost us a game in the playoffs. That's all for now. I'll keep watching and I'll pull for the kid cause He's a Bronco!!

Nomad
10-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I'll always dislike releasing Prater. I understand it, but I still don't like it. Wasn't impressed at all with McManus today. I really hope he doesn't cost us a game in the playoffs. That's all for now. I'll keep watching and I'll pull for the kid cause He's a Bronco!!

That's what I am gonna do as well.

NightTerror218
10-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Why is everyone not impressed? I do not get it. He did better in preseason then Prater ( with giants). He also missed at what 48 yards during a windy game.

Anyone remember Prater missing mad FGs like two years ago and people calling for his head?

Everyone just likes they fact he set the longest FG kick as a bronco. He was great last season but not in playoffs against the Ravens.

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:11 PM
Don't forget to release Ball. He sucks. Am I right?

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Don't forget to release Ball. He sucks. Am I right?

He has trade value at least.

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Also, what did Colquitt do today? I didn't see the game. I just saw that he had right at 50 yards per punt. Is that bad?

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:14 PM
He has trade value at least.

If I traded anyone, it would be Manning. On Madden I don't keep many players over 30 years of age. I like to get rid of them before they start to decline.

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Also, what did Colquitt do today? I didn't see the game. I just saw that he had right at 50 yards per punt. Is that bad?

No, I just think he's overpaid for his services. McManus has college experience punting. I'd rather give up Colquitt and re-sign Matt Prater at an incentive laden low-risk deal and have McManus take punt duties. If Prater does get suspended for a year we have McManus to fall back on. Being in a win now mode means we don't have time for a rookie kicker to work out the kinks. Especially if that takes place in the playoffs.

GEM
10-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Colquitt is pretty average and has been since mid-season last year. He used to boom them high and long allowing our guys the opportunity to get down there, now they seem short in comparison. Hopefully seeing Prater cut lets him know he isn't safe. He has a badass stache though.

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:20 PM
No, I just think he's overpaid for his services. McManus has college experience punting. I'd rather give up Colquitt and re-sign Matt Prater at an incentive laden low-risk deal and have McManus take punt duties. If Prater does get suspended for a year we have McManus to fall back on. Being in a win now mode means we don't have time for a rookie kicker to work out the kinks. Especially if that takes place in the playoffs.

Do you think there's any chance at all Denver picks Prater back up after cutting him?

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Do you think there's any chance at all Denver picks Prater back up after cutting him?

Honestly, probably not. He'll have the chance to likely sign elsewhere for more than what the Broncos would be willing to offer. That doesn't mean I don't think it's the best scenario for the team.

GEM
10-05-2014, 11:24 PM
If Prater isn't picked up tomorrow, there's more to the story.

NightTerror218
10-05-2014, 11:27 PM

You do realize that if a kicker messes up it is 3 points. A punter messes up and it could be 7 points the other way.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 11:27 PM
If Prater isn't picked up tomorrow, there's more to the story.

Prater will be picked up right away. It's the NFL, everybody gets several chances. He likes his beer!! If I'm a GM, I call him in, we drink a beer , and we sign a deal!!! :-)

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 11:29 PM
You do realize that if a kicker messes up it is 3 points. A punter messes up and it could be 7 points the other way.

You do realize a kicker can put points on the board with 00:3 on the clock from far away. More FG kickers have lost games than a punter, by far. Both important, but the FG kicker is responsible for direct points.

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Honestly, probably not. He'll have the chance to likely sign elsewhere for more than what the Broncos would be willing to offer. That doesn't mean I don't think it's the best scenario for the team.

It's arguable. Once you let a player/coach go, it means something. He cleans out his locker (or deck), says goodbye, and leaves. Bringing a guy right back doesn't happen often, and I assume it's for a reason. More than likely, Denver will cut Colquitt this offseason or the next. Whichever saves to most money. I'm not sure why teams do this, but it seems like they all do. They overpay a kicker or punter and then get rid of them for a cheaper alternative. I'm not sure why any team feels the need to give a punter 2 or 3 million bucks, but several teams do.

MOtorboat
10-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Colquitt is pretty average and has been since mid-season last year. He used to boom them high and long allowing our guys the opportunity to get down there, now they seem short in comparison. Hopefully seeing Prater cut lets him know he isn't safe. He has a badass stache though.

He's actually well above average. Third in the league in net average.

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 11:33 PM
It's arguable. Once you let a player/coach go, it means something. He cleans out his locker (or deck), says goodbye, and leaves. Bringing a guy right back doesn't happen often, and I assume it's for a reason. More than likely, Denver will cut Colquitt this offseason or the next. Whichever saves to most money. I'm not sure why teams do this, but it seems like they all do. They overpay a kicker or punter and then get rid of them for a cheaper alternative. I'm not sure why any team feels the need to give a punter 2 or 3 million bucks, but several teams do.

The Raiders come to mind. :lol:

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm serious about wanting to know what he did today. I didn't watch the game. Did he shank a punt or something?

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 11:34 PM

Raiders have a history of signing pretty good punters. They really do. They just can't figure the other positions out.

Dapper Dan
10-05-2014, 11:35 PM

I actually looked it up earlier. I think it was the Chargers, Bucs, and Dolphins that paid $3 million.

Bronco9798
10-05-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't get the negativity with Colquitt. The question you have to ask is, who would you replace him with that's better, that's available.

CrazyHorse
10-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm serious about wanting to know what he did today. I didn't watch the game. Did he shank a punt or something?

No, but with a contract similar to Prater's he's making around $3 million this year making him the 4th highest paid at his position. Last year however Colquitt ranked in the bottom 20 for net and gross average. You would think that he would rank better amongst his peers, especially playing at altitude.

I don't get the negativity with Colquitt. The question you have to ask is, who would you replace him with that's better, that's available.

Brandon McManus. The replacement doesn't have to be better, but just as good at a lower price.